Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

The Usual Suspects was very weird because the

entire story is one big huge lie, and I didn't get the point at all of taking the journey through this made up story. It pretty much boils down to a movie about a genius criminal with a photographic memory and physical disabilities can pick shit off a wall and get away with a crime for like a split second before getting caught and getting away. I expected far more from this movie based on all the praises I have heard about it from friends, and after seeing another twist ending movie in Fight Club, I was just really disappointed. And without being impressed by the ending the movie just felt flat and pointless. :( I did really want to like it though...

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
#92 Singin' in the Rain
There's something you really have to understand about this movie. Only one song in it is original. Singin' in the Rain exists to be a collection of songs written by Arthur Freed for use in movies from the late 20s until as late as four years before this movie came out. For people who like Arthur Freed, Singin' in the Rain is an invaluable collection. But does that make it a good musical? Fuck and no.

The most common stereotype against musicals is that of songs that come out of nowhere, have no place in the plot, and don't build characters. This is particularly egregious when true because building character and expressing complex plot in a simple way is exactly what movie musicals should have going for them. So a movie like this might have the reputation of being the best musical ever (which is a load shit), but it's the LAST musical you'd want to show people who are uncertain about the genre.

You could argue the three romantic songs tie into the plot, but they do so redundantly, as out of music plenty of time is spent going over the character's feelings. The only really decent music number is the Broadway Melody, a 15 minute song with basically two words "gotta dance". The imagery however really develops the main character and his feelings about the industry. But here is how the song is included: "say, what if we had a music number like this" *music number plays "yeah, maybe".

By coincidence, this is a good movie. It's another hollywood circle-jerk, but the story this time is actually interesting. On top of that the comedy is completely on point. Whenever the movie isn't doing a musical number, it's fantastic. Whenever it is, it drags. The best illustration of the gap between good movie and bad musical is the fact that Lena Lamont, by far the best character, has no musical numbers (and couldn't for story reasons). Good movie, important collection of songs, dreadfully awful musical.

#95 2001: A Space Odyssey
I wanted to like this movie a lot more than I did. The effects are stunning. The atmosphere is amazing. And even those two truths do not keep the very long drawn-out sequences in the movie from being boring. Not much really happens in this 2:30 movie, but when things do they are fucking amazing. Beyond that, I've literally run out of things to say about it.

That's the last Kubrick movie on the list for a long while. He's a fascinating director, and yet I wouldn't give any of his movies a 10/10. And I'm a bit surprised that my favorite was Paths of Glory.

I just finished watching Oldboy, and it is by FAR the best movie I have seen on this list. Holy shit man. It would be a candidate for being a 10/10 movie and cracking the sacred halls of one of my favorite movies of all time... but it's just too weird a movie.

None the less, if this is the best movie I see in the 250, I will be more than happy for starting this journey. I'm sorry it got spoiled for you though Von...

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
By far the best movie isn't even a 10? I dunno about your standards...

10/10 movies for me so far...
Princess Mononoke, City of God, M, Inglourious Basterds, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Last Crusade, Beauty and the Beast, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, American History X, Up, Inside Out, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Alien, Dog Day Afternoon, The Lives of Others, City Lights, Psycho, Silence of the Lambs, Groundhog Day, Howl's Moving Castle, Gran Torino, Intouchables, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, It's a Wonderful Life, Avengers, Fury Road, The Sixth Sense, Leon; The Professional, The Matrix, Memento, The Shawshank Redemption, The Thing, Fight Club, Apocalypse Now, Back to the Future, Kill Bill, and yes, Oldboy.

If I'm going to give out a 10 rating, it's going to be to a movie that stands out far above the rest and that has some personal significance to me. Any piece of medium can be entertaining, but the greatest pieces to me are more than just entertainment. They have to hold some kind of personal significance to me, whether it is through the characters, the plot, and/or the differences of life it causes me to feel. My favorite book is The Fountainhead, not just because it is an entertaining story, but because it holds a deeper significance.

The 10/10 I have are: Garden State, Boyhood (forgot it was on the list), Apollo 11, Miracle, and 500 Days of Summer.... and a lot of TV shows that I think are spectacular.

Actually, my movie ratings almost surprisingly follow a very nice bell curve to them. I noticed that when I had to go on my IMDB profile a couple of weeks ago to change some settings around to let someone view my profile. I think this is a pretty normal distribution. Considering that when I first made an account, I was more inclined to remember movies I watched that I liked more than those that I didn't. And going through the Top 250, I would hope it would skew my rating towards the higher side of the spectrum.

If you'd like to share yours, all you need to do is click your name on the menu, and it's on the right side of your profile.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay, so I saw Fantastic Four on Sunday...

Was as bad as the reviews said. First 50 minutes were okay... The build up was great. But then... It felt like I was watching a different movie for the second half of the film. None of the characters are particularly charismatic...

I think it's a bit better than the 27 Metascore it has right now... But not a lot better. I'm glad they explained away the Sue/Johnny relationship as Sue being adopted. Also there seem to be a few scenes from the trailer that aren't even in the final film.

My main issue is that after Reed flees the site of them being held after gaining their powers, Grimm (Thing) is led the believe he ran away and is not willing to help them (the exact opposite of the message). Then literally 10 minutes later in the film, that grudge (after Thing basically stomps Reed 1v1, and doesn't want to even talk to him) is basically forgotten. A year of stewing hatred does not just vanish like that. As much as Grimm wants to see Reed as his friend, they aren't anymore. Very little is eluded to what Reed has been doing outside of a 20 second scene of his designs for a one man pod.

It just felt very broken that suddenly they are best buddies again.

Also they killed off Von Doom, so I don't know who their enemy is going to be going forwards.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
ButteredToast

I mean, that's why I have a top 20 list. Doesn't stop lots of movies that aren't personally endearing from being amazing movies. That's just kind of... literally biased? Everything is subjective but if a piece of art has to connect with you specifically to be great then you aren't really taking advantage of art's power of human connection through empathy. Also like there are a shit ton of movies out there, more than 5 have to be 10s... I ranked all the movies I've seen on the imdb top 250 on a stupid whim and it's a silly ranking system I have because I'm comparing allegedly the best movies against each other, so if anything many of the scores I've given should be higher (and I don't give them here because I'm not trying to be a critic, just a dude with a wide palate giving basic feelings about what I see).

#96 The Kid
This is Chaplin's first "movie" according to IMDB. It's about 50 minutes long. Chaplin made many short before making movies, and I'm really puzzled as to what the threshold is for being a short or being feature length. Cause the point is this is too damn short. You can tell Chaplin is still developing his style of humor, but mostly this just doesn't have the time to tell a really meaningful story. That's a general problem with movies, and it's only exacerbated here. Especially when a dream sequence near the end really makes things weird, and then there's a pat ending that is too quick and unconvincing.

#97 For a Few Dollars More
Setting aside Once Upon a Time in America, I've seen two Sergio Leone westerns now that aren't The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. The differences between the other ones and his masterpiece are very subtle. Yet, they are somehow vast. I look back now and remember a lot about Once Upon a Time in the West fondly. And this was in no way a bad movie. The scene work, acting, music are all incredible, everything you expect from Leone. It's just that every western story seems kind of simple and crude once you've seen GBU. Guy shows up, is cool, what is his deal, oh at the VERY end we find out it's revenge. GBU had the growing characters, varied environments, insight into the civil war, and was paced just about as good as a movie possibly can be. Leone's other westerns only look bad in comparison, but it's unavoidable that they do.

Bonus Movie: House (1977)
WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK??!!?!

vonFiedler My ratings are not being critical assessments of movies. More just how much I enjoyed them. I give movies 10/10 rankings because they are my favorite movies, not because they are the best examples of film. There are movies from studio ghibli that are just amazing works of art, culture, folklore, and dynamic stories... but I don't enjoy them more than I do would something where I connect to a character or event, like I do to Tom in (500) Days of Summer. So my ratings are not trying to gauge critically how good a movie is, but rather how much I just enjoy it. I have so little movies at 10/10 because they are the ones I enjoy a class above all the other movies. Old Boy is a great movie and I love it, but it's not on the same scale that Garden State is for me... so I just have it a point lower.

I don't think I could ever be a critic of anything because I can never remove myself from a subject. I could never judge art or food or anything by objective standards and have it be worth a damn. So when I give ratings or opinions they're just extremely personalized to me. So maybe just seeing them as tiers or something might make more sense if you're looking at it. Or just ignore it all together. *shrug*
---------
Guess I'll make a movie update post. I have watched a shit ton of movies since my last update a little over a week ago. I am somehow up to 105/250 and have a goal of getting a few more done before I go back to college. Again, just hitting some points on movies I feel worthy of discussing, as von blows me out of the water with his great summaries.

The Shining: My opinion of The Shining has somehow improved drastically since I finished the movie. It's not really all that frightening of a story, the premise is weird because it doesn't cover the book well, and the ending is underwhelming. I gave it a lower rating because of it. However, despite the big picture not making any sense... some of the individual scenes are wonderful. I probably muttered Redrum about 50 times last night because the scene is stuck in my head. And the bat scene is hilarious. As a result of this, I have had a really hard time figuring out how I feel about the movie. I've probably re-rated it a dozen times in the last week just because of this whole big picture/small picture dynamic. I'd definitely say it is one of those movies most everyone should see in their lifetime... but I have a hard time saying it is one of the best. Currently at a 7/10

Grave of Fireflies: This was one of these movies that I was always recommended and never watched because it never felt like my kind of movie. I'm just not touched to the horrors of life and war because of my exposure to them over and over again through my love of history. As much bitching as people do about life right now and how terrible it is... there is a whole lot of luxuries in our world that we have that people don't realize. Movies that show the hardships of the past and of everyday life don't affect me... not because they don't seem realistic, but because I already have a deep understanding of these ideas of life. I mean, I grew up to stories of family friends telling their stories of how their parents escaped during the late 40s after some of their family members were killed by Soviet soldiers and covered up. And the lives they led. Wars are terrible and coming to the horrors of what even sanctioned modern warfare looks like is an ugly thing. The stories like that of Grave of Fireflies are numerous, and they are hard to watch and gruesome. But the only really tough part of this is that is about children. It's like telling a story about English bombing victims during WWII. A hard story and life changing for those in it, and nothing that should be forgotten... but there are so many worse stories with stronger voices that relate the hardships of war for innocents in a much stronger way. I gave it a 5/10 because of that reason. I also have somewhat of a problem with this being a Japanese film just because of their denial of Nanking and a lot of the horrors that the Japanese military did during WWII. Things arguably that are the most gruesome in human history.... including the holocaust, slavery, and the treatment of Native Americans.

I'm not saying that it is a bad movie, because it's not. And I'm not saying it is trying to cause sympathy from Americans for what happened in WWII, because I see it as being just a realistic look at the past and of untold stories. But to me personally... it didn't bring out any kind of feelings or horrors. And while a lot of the art was beautiful, it was distractingly bad at other points.

Citizen Kane: Always wanted to watch this movie and knew a lot about it going in. I knew the answer to the mystery before I watched it, as I think most modern audiences know what Rosebud means. As much as Von doesn't seem to like it, allow me to kind of vouch for it. On the surface, the movie seems like a simple money doesn't buy happiness story. Kane goes around pretty much embarking on adventures which cost him obscene amounts of money to gain acceptance... whether it is from his work, his community when he runs for president, or his broken relationship with his wife. However, while this is a money doesnt buy happiness story, it is far deeper than that. It attacks the notion of happiness being a destination. People always think of happiness as being a destination... that they will be happy when they get that one job or life experience or person in their life. That somehow it will all fix everything and then they will be happy. But happiness isn't a destination, it is a mood. It comes and goes and is far from permanent. It is the people who think that they need to be happy by being rich and having supermodel wives and existing in this american dream type shit... that's the people I think this film is trying to reach. Maybe it doesn't do it so well today for a modern audience, but for a world coming just coming out of the depression? It carries a hell of a lot more weight.

When it comes to the whole "father of modern movies" thing that von brought up, I think that he is right in saying it's bullshit. I can movies like The Wolf of Wallstreet and Goodfellas who are undoubtedly influenced by this movie in the way it tells a story, but really this kind of style is not that ubiquitous to consider it as being the most influential of all time. Despite all this high praise, I could not muster to give it anything higher than a 8/10, though it would be a very high 8.

Vertigo:
A classic mindfuck by Alfred Hitchcock. Additionally, I have loved Jimmy Stewart in ever single movie I have seen him in so far. He has a crazy ability to take very mundane roles and make something great out of them. I'm not sure that I can talk about this movie without ruining it, but it is marvelously done in a way that had me glued. The only issue I have with this movie is the "reveal" because it is so out of nowhere and leads to a less powerful, but still good ending. 8/10 and super highly recommended to people who are disinterested in old movies...

Better than expected movies: Das Boot (was really good look at submarine warfare, which is a thing of mine) Princess Mononoke (best anime I have seen to date, though only at a 7/10)
Underwhelming movies: Paths of Glory, M
What's next: Amelie (excited to see this after 4 years of French in HS and seeing it all over the place), Once Upon a Time in America, Resovior Dogs (have never seen a QT movie before the list... he is beating out Hitch as favorite director because I haven't seen a dud of his. Unlike North by North West.), Witness for the Prosecution, Double Indemnity

I saw Ant-Man and it was kinda boring. Surprised people are praising it so much. Guess that's Marvel for you. First half was really boring and second half was better but still a bit underwhelming. The villain was poor, plot wasn't that good. Michael Pena was great though (and I love to see Michael Douglas).

Reactions: g

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
#98 L.A. Confidential
Years ago when I tried reviewing games, I gave LA Noire a 5/5 mostly because it was unique. And while that couldn't be a better reason to applaud a AAA game in the current wasteland of dreck, I became less forgiving of that game's flaws pretty quickly. This seals the deal. I had heard that it was inspired by this movie, but wow did it rip it off like crazy. And that's not offensive. It's offensive that the game did such a poor and shallow job of it, when the movie is as amazingly good as this turned out to be.

If The Wire is everything a cop show should be, this is everything a cop movie should be. I'm really lost for trying to think up cop movies that nearly approach this level of quality. It has perfect character dynamic between multiple leads, the intricate plot is cleverly written, the action is brutal but fitting. The hollywood setting plays a big part, but it doesn't feel even slightly masturbatory. The twists are shocking.

#99 Rashomon
I can't remember walking out of a movie before starting this list and thinking about how misogynistic it was. But it keeps happening now. Am I changing? Is it that I'm seeing more movies? Is it that I'm seeing more old/foreign movies?

Rashomon is about a rape. A Japanese movie about rape. Set in fuedal Japan. It's famed for presenting a crime from multiple different perspectives, a plot structure that has been used since many times. But usually the different perspectives aren't variations on "she wanted to be raped" or "she was raped, so she's a bad person". Also on the side there are various remarks about how women only cry to be manipulative, and how weak and helpless they are.

Everything in that last paragraph is the absolute truth about Rashomon. Whether it's an incredibly misogynistic movie or not is tricky. At the VERY end, the male gender does not come out unscathed, and it's a pretty good scene, but it might be a little too little for the hour of very typical misogyny that preceded it. And even after that, one of the major points of Rashomon is that we can't trust people or ever really know who is culpable in a scenario like this. Except, y'know, it's not the person who got raped. You fuck.

I've put more serious thought into Rashomon over a short period of time than any movie on this list so far. That's probably a good thing and it was definitely intended. But man, I don't know...

#87 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Like Inside Out, this is all about one character's intimate stream of consciousness through the abstraction of the film medium. It's very visually appealing and interesting to watch, but unlike Inside Out I'm not entirely certain what the point of it all was. The name comes from a poem used in a scene that very much glorifies the idea that ignorance is bliss. However the movie later decides that forgetting the past is wrong, and the two characters end up back together anyway (this is known from the beginning). Are we supposed to feel that they are so right for each other because against all odds they by chance fall in love again? Cause all in all, they seem like a really bad couple. This movie also really cemented Jim Carrey as an actor with dramatic potential, but he just mutters all of his lines and I don't find it convincing.

I do have to give credit though. This movie came up with an entirely new profession AND filled with it people that I have no doubt are the worst at their jobs in the industry. I don't have a frame of reference, so this is pretty impressive work.
Here is my answer to what the point is...

The point comes in the last scene of them erasing the memories of Joel. When he remembers the first night he met Clementine and they break into that house by the beach and she pretends to be the lady that lives there. This scene right here:

He is going through this memory where instead of being impulsive and staying with her, he leaves to catch his ride home. And looking back on it, he says that looking back he wishes he would have stayed and been with her. And not let what she said to him in that way to get to him the way it did. And when he's having the conversation with Clementine, it was heartfelt and not defensive like he had been later in their relationship. He goes back not to try to save the memory like he has been, but to change it.

The point of the movie is that sometimes in relationships, events just unfold in a way that you have a hard time regaining focus of why you're with that person. You become afraid not because they change, but because you feel somehow more vulnerable to being hurt. When they get together after meeting again for the first time on the train, after they have the "best fucking night of their fucking life" and they hear all the reasons why they want the other person erased from their memory... they know it's not true. A lot of those things were hateful things said because of circumstance... Because they are insecure and damaged. He's afraid of her hurting him and cheating on him because she is impulsive and she's afraid of holding him back. And it creates a tension and a divide.

Sometimes... you all people need are a different set of circumstances to work out. Sometimes the girl of your dreams is right there for you, and instead of making the best of your life and your chances, you both get caught up in your own insecurities in each other and in history... it can ruin things.

And it's deeper than that because just from experience I had one of these weird relationships where I met a girl the summer before I started college online, and we bonded instantly in a way that was perfect. And because of distance, insecurities about our future together because of distance and me starting college states away and her having a bad relationship she was getting out of and him trying to change after they separated... it just turned sour. Me being afraid of her seeing him or somebody else when I couldn't be there for her and holding on too tight. Her feeling smothered by that and feeling trapped. Us knowing that we were not going to work out anytime soon because of life... it's hard and it fucks you up man. Not in a good way. You look back and you only see the things that made you insecure instead of looking back and just realizing, damn, this was perfect and we fucked it up because of these things that weren't worth it and it snowballed. And it couldnt be let go...

I have no doubt that if we could have a chance to forget all that bullshit, and start again without being insecure... maybe things would be different. Hell, maybe we would fall into the same pattern but god, I would give anything to go back and find her again without those memories and anxieties in our way. Really start over and to remember why things were good.

Which in a way is a really bad thing for me to say, because I have been dating a very wonderful and sweet woman now who I love in a completely different way. Who doesn't make me feel insecure or anxious and who I'm really happy being with. But when I think of the girl before... I just get exactly what this movie was trying to say. Or, maybe moreso, I put my own meaning from my own experiences into it...

Still though, it's a rare 10/10 movie for me. And will have me thinking a lot about it for awhile.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
#100 All About Eve
This is another really good black and white movie. The story is built sort of outside of hollywood, being more about acting in general and the stage, but hollywood plays a part. Still, this was a very interesting story and very worth watching for just the characters. The dialogue is amazingly written and the acting is very good. It's hard to talk about otherwise without spoiling the plot. It's the story of a young actress's rise to fame, but there's just something really fascinating about how it all plays out, and I enjoyed all the places it went. Again, this was a near top notch black and white movie.

So

#The Apartment
Someone tell me why the fuck people like Billy Wilder? This comedy made me laugh once, and in two hours it felt like four. The drama near the middle was pretty good, but at that point I thought the movie was ending. When I realized I was 70 minutes into a 120 minute movie, I was pretty horrified. I've already prepared a longer rant for after I see his final movie on this list in about a month.

Some of the actors were alright I guess.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The Usual Suspects was very weird because the

entire story is one big huge lie, and I didn't get the point at all of taking the journey through this made up story. It pretty much boils down to a movie about a genius criminal with a photographic memory and physical disabilities can pick shit off a wall and get away with a crime for like a split second before getting caught and getting away. I expected far more from this movie based on all the praises I have heard about it from friends, and after seeing another twist ending movie in Fight Club, I was just really disappointed. And without being impressed by the ending the movie just felt flat and pointless. :( I did really want to like it though...
Dude...yes, the point of the entire movie is that you, the audience, are NOT given the typical 'god' treatment that an audience gets. You see what the criminal(s) want you to see, you see the story through the detective's perspective, and, like the detective, it is only when it is too late that you realize that your entire conception of the story was just what the mastermind behind it all had wanted you to believe, and there is nothing you can do about it. The entire movie has an atmosphere that is totally unique in cinema (or well the story parts do), because it is a concept that you're being shown, a theory/recollection as to what happened. It's such a work of genius that I really don't understand how you can call it 'flat' or 'pointless'.

The fact that it has one of the wittiest scripts of all time, fantastic editing, an amazing score, and top-notch performances of course also help.

In other news I, for unknown reasons (subconsciously it was probably because Wes Craven died and I realized I hadn't seen any of his movies), sat through Scream 1 and Scream 2 over the weekend...and they were surprisingly entertaining. Certainly not 'great' movies but they never pretend to be, they know exactly what they are and so they put as much effort as possible into being witty, funny, and actually legitimately suspenseful (though the jump-scares are as retarded in these movies as in any movie). Definitely wouldn't recommend it as 'art' but as entertainment it was fun if you're in the mood for a scary movie.

That being said watching Scary Movie X (which parodies these movies endlessly) will probably ruin any suspense this movie might hold and replace it with somewhat disturbing hilarity (as in, disturbing that you found certain scenes hilarious), which might be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask.

Finally, good to see LA Confidential getting some well-deserved hype. No clue why it gets overlooked/underrated so much.

LA Confidential is amazing. Also I like Billy Wilder and especially love The Apartment...

I watched Rear Window lately when I realized I hadn't watched it ever and omg Hitchcock is such a good director. I didn't expect it to be so suspenseful and so good. I can't think of the proper word in not my first language but especially towards the end it was really getting on my nerves. Do heavily recommend to everyone, I think it's a good introduction film for Hitchcock if you're not one for older movies I guess.

Also I think The Social Network is absolutely fantastic. Damn. I watched it like 4 times in the last two months. Definitely the best movie of the last five years imo.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Browsing Netflix:
"White God, 3.8 stars, 2014, R, 2h 1m

They've been kicked around long enough. They're ready to hit back. Lock your doors. These dogs have declared war."

Thumbnail of literal dogs.

I can't decide if I want to see this movie or I need to see this movie........

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
#103 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
I'll save you all some time and show you the best scene in the movie. Sometimes this film was too slow, sometimes it was actually quite thoughtful (it's basically all about game theory). But I didn't expect this 1948 "classic" film to share all the worst aspects of modern video game writing, from the convoluted 3edgy5me ending, to white characters bragging about their high scores after killing minorities. It was good for a while but gets insufferable by the end.

#104 A Separation
Iran is the only middle eastern country with a major movie industry. I've heard really good things about some of their films, but this is the first one I've seen and the only one on this list. I'd wager that most of the entertainment value comes culture shock, not just from seeing a culture that the west is often closed off from, but in terms of sheer film making this is pretty far out there for me. Though it depicts abnormal events, it depicts them in a very day in the life cadence. On reflection I felt the movie was very smart and thought-provoking. While it's called A Separation, the title and even synopsis really tie into very little of the movie. It should be called Miscarriage Murder Mystery. Probably a little overhyped, but I'd recommend it to people interested in Iranian films.

Kieślowski: Three Colors: Red is both emotionally chilling yet so touching, while having amazing pensive cinematography and compelling characterisation. The moral framework behind the film is really cool as well and seeing how Kieslowski can impart wisdom into his films makes pseudo-moralistic capitalist propaganda shit like The Giver seem even more pathetic

Dekalog,
while not a film, easily matches up to Kieslowski's best feature lengths even though it has a really cold, depressing outlook since it's set in bleak winter Poland in a desolate grey apartment block. It's a 10-part series based loosely around the 10 commandments (loosely as in: some are covered more than once some barely at all), e.g. a woman who needs a doctor to tell her whether her feverishly ill husband will live or die; the decision will mean the difference between her aborting her pregnancy by another man, or keeping the child (if he is predicted to die). If you enjoy ethical dilemmas you would like it, especially as it's no high abstraction but gritty and raw emotionally evolving drama.

Tsai Ming-Liang: my fav film from this guy is Vive L'Amour -- while the title is in French he's actually a Chinese filmmaker and his films deal with alienation in urban life in China. Vive L'Amour has barely any dialogue through its around 2 hr length but it manages to cover a whole scope and range of human emotion, it's actually quite heartbreaking and there's a particular character that a lot of people on this website might empathise with (I did.) it's also an excellent late-night film. Others to watch if you want more are The Hole and Goodbye, Dragon Inn, about a relationship blossoming from a hole in someone's floor connecting two peoples' apartments, and the last showing inside an old rural Chinese cinema in the rain, respectively

since a huge part of films Tsai Ming-Liang me is the imagery I wanna share some stills from the aforementioned films that just melt me

goodbye dragon inn

vive l'amour

if anyone who reads this is already into foreign cinema, especially Polish, Chinese, Japanese, French, Thai, and Iranian, please dont hesitate to hit me up with a VM or a PM!!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
#106 Metropolis
Made by the same director as M, this is landmark science fiction with amazing special effects and gripping social commentary. There's scenework I've only otherwise scene in anime, and unlike M, there's a consistent and good soundtrack. The film is very interesting for a long time as you get sucked into the fictional world it has created and the struggles of its characters, but there's a very flat final act involving a lot of running around. Your experience may depend on the version you see. I saw the original release, as I always try to do, but this version has actually only been available for a few years. Audiences have watched a 30 minute shorter version for almost a century, and frankly, it may have helped the pacing. There's also a version entirely scored by Georgio Moroder with original songs by Freddie Mercury, Pat Benetar, Bonnie Tyler, Billy Squier, Loverboy, and others, and that sounds bomb as fuck.

#107 Yojimbo
Akira Kurosawa is steadily getting better in my book. The inspiration of "For a Fistful of Dollars", this is not as ambitious as Seven Samurai or as intelligent as Rashomon, but we're talking about one of the lower forms of art here and dammit sometimes you just can't do better than having a badass samurai walk into a town full of bad guys and kill them all. The character, basically the man with no name, is brilliant, but you also have a widely diverse and interesting cast of villains. Simplicity just works here. It's well made, but more importantly it's just a good time.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
#108 The Third Man
I have nothing against old black and white movies. I've praised a few, and listed a number of them in my 10/10 movies. But it seems like the most likely section of the top 250 to produce just bafflingly bad movies. The Third Man has people talking over each other frequently, spongebob music blasting over every scene, including scenes of suspense and action, one good actor who gets top billing and few scenes, and a ton of fridge logic concerning the plot. Also there's the title, which early on is made to dramatically play into the plot, "there was a THIRD MAN!!!" and then never amounts to anything.

#109 Scarface
I've been looking forward to this movie for a long damn time. While I didn't love The Godfather or Goodfellas, Scarface has something they lack: an original soundtrack entirely on my mp3 player. Good music goes a long way to make a good movie, and not only was a bunch of amazing pop music written for Scarface, but legend Giorgio Moroder scored the background music. Even at nearly three hours, Scarface feels very slick. Also in part due to a tight plot, great symbolism, montages, and acting. Tony Montana is a powerful character that these other mob films lack, and the violence is actually reserved until it needs to be explosively brutal. My one pet peeve is the subplot with Tony's sister and best friend. It's very obvious the whole time how it's going to end up, and I just don't like this kind of attitude in general.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
#109 Scarface
I've been looking forward to this movie for a long damn time. While I didn't love The Godfather or Goodfellas, Scarface has something they lack: an original soundtrack entirely on my mp3 player. Good music goes a long way to make a good movie, and not only was a bunch of amazing pop music written for Scarface, but legend Giorgio Moroder scored the background music. Even at nearly three hours, Scarface feels very slick. Also in part due to a tight plot, great symbolism, montages, and acting. Tony Montana is a powerful character that these other mob films lack, and the violence is actually reserved until it needs to be explosively brutal. My one pet peeve is the subplot with Tony's sister and best friend. It's very obvious the whole time how it's going to end up, and I just don't like this kind of attitude in general.
Are you seriously asserting that the Godfather didn't have good music by any standards?
The work that basically made Nino Rota an immortal legend, and a central theme song that is perhaps the most recognizable title track in the history of cinema, which rockstars and musicians cover to even this day and age?

I mean I also like Scarface's music, it's good. But it's probably a sin even to compare the two, more so to place Godfather - a bonafide masterpiece BELOW it.

edit:
Also HYPE (!!)
That's the biggest budget cast list I've seen in a while. Fuck - Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt all costarring.
I sincerely hope the movie offers more than your average generic-financial-meltdown plot that we've been seeing in the past 3-4 years. Especially given that Adam McKay is helming it. Wasn't impressed by either Anchorman or Step Brothers.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Are you seriously asserting that the Godfather didn't have good music by any standards?
No, I didn't. I asserted that it's not on my mp3 player.

The work that basically made Nino Rota an immortal legend
Wrong, he died.

and a central theme song that is perhaps the most recognizable title track in the history of cinema, which rockstars and musicians cover to even this day and age?
They also cover the US theme to Pokemon.

I mean I also like Scarface's music, it's good. But it's probably a sin even to compare the two, more so to place Godfather - a bonafide masterpiece BELOW it.
These movies are both "bonafide masterpieces" according to just about any source, but who fucking cares anyway? People only like this genre at all because of the flash in the pan violence of it. Form your own opinions.

Last edited:
Okay, all the movies I've watched since my last post:

The films I saw in cinemas from July til now were:

Ant-Man -

One of the funniest Marvel movies to date, and certainly ripe with inventive, well-thought-out action sequences. So, for an action-comedy, surely this film deserves a higher rating, right? Well.. not really; both the romance and the family subplot are tonally jarring, and there is an abundance of lazy caricatures and cliches swarming around the chassis of the film - the now-tedious wooden villain being a key example. I think the sub-atomic scene sums up the film - incredibly brave and bold and wonderful to look up, but its resolution attempts near-successfully to diminish the experience.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation -

A hugely enjoyable spy caper with bombastic set-pieces and a reliably intense Tom Cruise performance, Rogue Nation manages to improve upon the series once more, with a fantastic hour and a half of popcorn fun, and only a dragging latter half hour of exciting but sporadically tedious resolution.

It Follows -

Stylistically up my street, It Follows is an incredibly entertaining horror that focuses on concept over jump scares to haunt you. It's cleverly shot, superbly scored and well-acted by everyone involved. Some 70/80s tropes are unavoidable, but I suspect that with It Follows' style, they weren't meant to be avoided in the first place.

Mortdecai -

A harmless 106 minutes of faux-British mystery. Inoffensive and not necessarily excruciating to sit through, there's nothing interesting about the film and the plot is both forgettable and lifeless. The pacing is all wrong, but Depp's performance is hardly, as some critics have suggested, the worst part of the movie.

Dude Bro Party Massacre III -

Made by the same guys behind 5-second-films, 'Dude Bro..' targets my demographic perfectly. It's nonsensical fun, rooted by charmingly terrible performances and a well-actioned sense of humour. It's one of the year's funniest films, made all the more impressive by a severely limited budget.

Shaun the Sheep Movie -

Light, charming Aardman fun with some terrific sight gags and superb referential comedy. This animation company can do no wrong, though this is certainly their weakest entry.

Fantastic Four -

Directed not by Josh Trank but by Fox Studios, Fantastic Four contains some truly terrific sci-fi horror elements and a solid first act, but these moments are sparse, amid terrible plot points, and the fact that the film seemingly forgets that it's meant to have a third act.

A Most Violent Year -

Brooding, atmospheric and excellently-paced, A Most Violent Year features two captivating performances from Isaac and Chastain; such a shame, then, that I wasn't invested in the plot.

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water -

Surprisingly hilarious, this sequel recalls the Spongebob of old in its 2D animation segments, with terrific time travel scenes and its infamous zany, self-referential humour. It expectedly takes a dip when Sponge is indeed Out of Water, but the 3D segment only takes up a 1/3 of the runtime, and the animation beforehand had been excellent.

The Gift -

Expertly crafted, The Gift has small ambition but anything but a small impact. Unsettling and engrossing in equal measures, the damp squib of an ending is made up for with some magnificent performances and a tightly-paced and structured plot.

The Man From UNCLE -

The best spy flick of the year hands down (though I'll have to wait until Spectre to see if it can keep the title), Guy Ritchie's UNCLE is the best kind of popcorn flick; its set pieces are glorious to behold, its soundtrack relentlessly brings a smile to my face, its humour is Ritchie at his finest, the tonal shifts are both seamless and daring, and Arnie Hammer gives one heck of a performance.

Paper Towns -

Honestly, Paper Towns felt like one half of a movie to me. It was harmlessly enjoyable and endearingly acted, and then it ended. A movie that I'm bound to forget by the end of the year.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl -

Alas, only a cliched plot keeps Me and Earl and the Dying Girl from receiving a full 5 stars. The cinematography is inventive and twee without feeling like its put in place for the sake of carrying an identity. The script is sublime, carrying weight and melancholy (and bundles of humour) that allow it to surpass other films of similar plotlines. Olivia Cooke and Thomas Mann's chemistry is the final piece of the jigsaw to create one of the best young-adult films I've seen.

And so my top 50 of 2015 so far looks like this:

1. Inherent Vice
2. Mommy
3. The Duke of Burgundy
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. Whiplash
6. Inside Out
7. Birdman
8. Tomorrowland
9. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
10. The Man From U.N.C.L.E
11. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence
12. Lost River
13. Selma
14. Foxcatcher
15. It Follows
16. London Road
17. Ex Machina
18. Avengers: Age of Ultron
19. Chappie
20. Dude Bro Party Massacre III
21. Minions
22. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
23. Les Combattants
24. World of Tomorrow
25. Wild Tales
26. Enemy
27. Jupiter Ascending
28. The Falling
29. The Gift
30. Spy
31. Ant-Man
32. Paper Towns
33. The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
34. A Most Violent Year
35. The Voices
36. The Theory of Everything
37. Kung Fury
38. The Signal
39. Big Hero 6
40. Jurassic World
41. Kingsman: The Secret Service
42. Fantastic 4
43. The Interview
44. Furious 7
45. Force Majeure
46. Mortdecai
47. Jauja
48. American Sniper
49. Listen up Philip
50. Clouds of Sils Maria

Films I saw not-in-cinemas from July til now were:

Ex Machina -
(rewatch)
John Dies at the End -

Dumb and Dumber To -

Mommy -
(rewatch)
The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies -

Animal House -

Drive -
(rewatch)
American Psycho -

Inherent Vice -
(rewatch)
Gone Girl -

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind -

Moonrise Kingdom -
(rewatch)
The Guest -
(rewatch)
Where Eagles Dare -

In Bruges -

The Mule -

Kingsman: The Secret Service -
(rewatch)
Triangle -

2001: A Space Odyssey -

Kill List -

The Happening -

Synecdoche, New York -
- In My Top 5 Films of All Time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)