League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

petition to change the name of this thread into "Let's Talk About Worlds"

this topic is getting old and is going nowhere

thoughts on day 1 of groups? games are:

the hardest ones to call are probably FNC/iG and CLG/FW due to how wildly inconsistent iG are for the former, and how untested CLG are in an international setting for the latter

there's also the possibility of C9 pulling an upset victory over AHQ, but if LMS as a region has improved as much as all the analysts are saying, C9 should realistically have no chance.

I am personally looking forward to the SKT H2K match, only because Ryu has promised to blind pick zed against faker, which should be fun to watch.

I personally hope c9 upsets ahq, because they are my favorite team, but I realize the upset is unlikely to happen. Fnatic have gotten really strong in scrims apparently, I would not be surprised in a win over iG. Others are pretty obv outcomes though, but im still really hyped for worlds!

petition to change the name of this thread into "Let's Talk About Worlds"

this topic is getting old and is going nowhere

thoughts on day 1 of groups? games are:

the hardest ones to call are probably FNC/iG and CLG/FW due to how wildly inconsistent iG are for the former, and how untested CLG are in an international setting for the latter

there's also the possibility of C9 pulling an upset victory over AHQ, but if LMS as a region has improved as much as all the analysts are saying, C9 should realistically have no chance.
man cmon i klikd that show button like 10x wondering y it not show
y u do this 2me -.-

uh I've been doing the math on some fantasy projections for Days 1 and 2 (AlphaDraft) for Worlds and it seems really exciting.

I think the closest games for day 1 will be Fnatic v iG and maybe YFW vs CLG

EDG,SKT, and KOO are pretty much guaranteed points but EDG is more bloody and Koro/Amazing J is really cheap on AlphaDraft

AHQ is gonna fkin crush c9 imo it might be my Southeast Asian bias but holy shit C9 I feel can't really win

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Remember that the Wraiths smite buff is better than Sweepers in every way possible so I never understand why any jungler except for Fiddlesticks wants a Sweeper.
tfw you smite raptor* and it procs off a ward by the ramp when you really wanted the buff to sweep dragon pit :(

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you're walking over a ward it is universally better to know about it

Pink wards are better than sweepers and can be bought by multiple team members for important objectives. In the meantime having 15 constant wards on the map for 1800 gold (assuming four yellows and a sight stone) is an amazingly efficient means of warding everything and having fantastic control for a minimum of gold investment.

UncleSam if your support and jungler both go warding totem over sightstone then you don't have the resources to deny your opponent any vision either unless your entire team is constantly aggressively pinking, which doesn't seem very economically efficient. there is solid evidence for this in the TSM/CLG finals, where CLG was completely unable to deny TSM from gaining a vision advantage and gave up several objectives

warding totem is certainly very efficient, and we see a lot of teams go double warding totem on their solo laners - saying that sweeper is bad, though, just seems wrong to me. you could go 4 or 5 warding totems and spam pinks, which costs a lot of gold and is very easy to adapt against; or you could run double sightstone + oracle's lens like most teams do nowadays and have a good vision game for the price of, what? a slightly delayed locket?

TUO agreed on the ahq/C9 front, but it's never wise to count out C9, especially now that they've had a few weeks to bootcamp with their "new" roster and learn some new tricks.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Actually there are two c9 Balls on the NA server (one is Balls' cousin or something) who are high elo, it's probably not the real Balls who is Diamond 2.

UncleSam

Leading this village
So I don't normally deign to stoop to reading reddit but this actually is fairly common and a complete misconception.

Solo queue rating has essentially nothing to do with competitive capability beyond what tier you are. While high Diamond 2 is obviously on the low side for a professional player, odds are he isn't focusing on his solo queue rating that much and even if he is, solo queue measures things that aren't that meaningful to competitive play. This is why if you look at the top 20 solo queue players on any server at most half of them will be professional players - solo queue measures raw 1v1 ability and the ability to play a few champions. In a competitive environment, these factors take a back seat to champion pool baseline, the ability to play a supporting role when necessary, and the ability to cope with 1v2s or 1v3s.

I've seen plenty of mid diamond teams roflstomp teams composed solely of master or challenger players simply because they knew how to play together while the higher rated players played separately. This becomes less and less common once the difference in rating hits about the one tier disparity level, at which point the individual differences become large enough to typically discount stronger teamwork.

All of this being said, there's no reason Jatt should be facing backlash for bringing this up. It's a mostly irrelevant data point but it isn't false, just a little misleading.

imo about 70% of the talent at worlds (at least from the 4 main regions) is close enough in terms of mechanics/skill that they are basically equal.

sadly, most of c9 (and h2k and tsm and the wild card teams) are probably in the other 30%. they will get exposed by teams both mechanically and probably tactically better than them. anything can happen in sports and esports, but I'd be surprised if c9 won more than 1 game in the group.

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
Did you really just suggest that NA is not one of the '4 main regions'.

Korea and China I can see being put above NA but what two other regions do you think are significantly better than NA?

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Jesus unclesam. The reading comprehension struggle is fucking real.

He's referring to 70% of the four regions, and then the other 30% (still of the four regions).

UncleSam

Leading this village
Grammatically it could be either actually.

Specifically it is also implying that somehow CLG is the only NA team that is on the stage of the 'main regions' regardless of how you parse it which is equally ridiculous (either the notion that CLG is way ahead of the other NA teams or that TSM/C9 are mechanically inferior to, say, Origen, which it is explicitly saying).

Thanks for being a cunt though Valkyries.

Specifically it is also implying that somehow CLG is the only NA team that is on the stage of the 'main regions' regardless of how you parse it which is equally ridiculous (either the notion that CLG is way ahead of the other NA teams or that TSM/C9 are mechanically inferior to, say, Origen, which it is explicitly saying).
TSM and C9 both have multiple members I would consider to be bottom-3 (among the 12 NA/EU/LCK/LPL) at their respective positions (Balls/Dyrus, WT, and LN, Hai might be the worst jungler at worlds) which imo means they are not mechanically on the same page as the other 9-10 teams. CLG doesn't have any worldbeaters, but every lane is at least average except maybe xsmithie, which both puts them above the other NA teams and on par with the rest of the world.

and, you know, CLG did just go 6-0 in NA playoffs, and are 12-1 in their last 13 games against NA opponents. why wouldn't they be considered way ahead of the rest of NA ??? at least over TSM and C9, who they went 3-0 over and who finished 6th in the regular season respectively. I'm no CLG fan, but credit where credit's due, they represent NA's best chances this year and it really isn't even close.

What do you guys think? I think it's pretty dope:
the skin's nice, but I played Kindred a decent amount on the PBE and she (they?) felt incredibly clunky/wrong. The Q (while in W zone) feels like it cancels autoattacks way more frequently than it should (ESPECIALLY if you're used to Kalista), which makes the E harder to proc. W is boring, and the ultimate feels like it should be a skillshot but is actually targeted (which AFAIK makes it the only targeted/point and click AOE ability, which feels bizarre). I feel like a lot of Riot's spells are intuitive for anyone who has played the game a decent amount, and a lot of Kindred's kit felt very off.

The Q (while in W zone) feels like it cancels autoattacks way more frequently than it should (ESPECIALLY if you're used to Kalista), which makes the E harder to proc.
This is most probably something that'll be fixed soon enough. Often happens with champs that already have trouble with their AAs on the PBE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)