Doubles OU Player of the Week #41 - Stax

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're trapped on an island with kingofmars and a moderately drunk shrop05. At your possession you have a steak on the end of fishing line, an unopened fifth of cheap vodka, a wig, three years worth of cute puppy calendars, and Donald Trump's disembodied arm. How do you stay away from the former while fending off the advances of the latter?
get drunk of the vodka and attempt to swim resulting in my own death

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Interviewee #17 - Electrolyte
1. Hi! Who are you and could you give a little introduction of yourself?
Hey! My name is Ivan and Im 17 years old. I am a high school student that lives in Somerset County, New Jersey.

2. Where did your username come from, what does it mean and why did you stick with it?
Obviously I selected it because I enjoy the clueless feeling I get when people give me vague references to a quote from a movie (Idiocracy, I think???) that I've never watched. It feels really great when people seem to know who you are more than you do. Apparently I'm what plants crave. That's awesome. In all seriousness, though, I chose this username because I thought it was cool... I don't know, somehow my 14 year old brain from three years ago thought this would be a good username. Back then I didn't even know what an Electrolyte was, I think. But now I do and I guess I'm ok with it! The name has stuck and now people call me Electro, or elyte, or just lyte, whenever they're too lazy to tabcomplete, and Im fine with all of them.

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
Ive always been a Pokenerd. I remember I first got into the Pokemon franchise when I was very young, maybe four years old, through TCG. My first Pokemon card was an Eevee. I still have it. After that I was obsessed with Pokemon cards and collecting them for the shiny ones throughout elementary school. Finally in fourth grade I got a DS lite and got into the world of Pokemon gaming, and then in seventh grade one of my friends introduced me to Smogon analyses and I thought they were pretty cool. I never thought I would actually be able to write one myself... and now I do that a lot. I started playing doubles after my friend NixHex introduced me to the tier. I was originally an OU player that shifted to LC, and then to Doubles after I became frustrated over the YanTang and Gligar Swirlix ban and I guess Ive stayed because I really like the structure of doubles games, and the community is nice too. Also, the memes are great.

4. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why?
I wouldnt say that I have a favorite playstyle, because I think certain different playstyles each have their own strengths and weaknesses, but I would say that I have a most commonly used playstyle, which would be balanced. I do a little bit of weather based offense as well, but I tend to stick with nonweather. The kind of teams I use are usually based off of the Pokemon I feel like using themselves and not necessarily the team type.

5. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Hm, that's kind of a hard question for me...
I guess I'll answer favorite Pokemon overall first, which would probably be Shaymin-S aesthetically, and usage wise as well. The scarf petal really speaks to me.

In terms of my favorite Pokemon competitively...Id have to say that it's Mega Diancie right now, simply because the frustration of always missing Stone Edge while also crap pissing yourself because Rock Slide is so fucking weak is finally tempered. I like Mega Diancie because Diamond Storm just sets the world right in my opinion. Also, I like the way it has Magic Bounce because I fucking hate Thundurus. As a non mega, it's a pretty great TR support Pokemon, too!

6. Is there anything that you consider unbalanced or broken in the current metagame. If yes, why do you think it's broken?
Oh god yes. I really feel like Landorus-T and Thundurus need to be suspected.

18:47 Meloettaaa: **BAN GENIES**
18:47 Electrolyte: BAN GENIES
18:47 Electrolyte: (but also thank genies)

Anyway, I think Landorus-T and Thundurus both put a significant and unhealthy restriction on teambuilding. Landorus-T especially, simply because what it does is so good, and it's so good at what it does. It can function so many different roles for a team, including Intimidater, pivoter, revenge killer, tank, and cleaner, a combination that no other Pokemon can achieve, making it almost a no-brainer for teams. As for Thundurus, I dont think it's necessarily broken per se but the fact that there is easily accessible priority "Speed control" tends to choke and restrict many otherwise possible teambuilding frameworks, and also amplifies the impact of hax in games.

Another thing I really dislike about the two is that they're so good individually that you can put them together and even though they have almost no offensive or defensive synergy they're both just really good mons and you'll be fine. Which is also one of the reasons why i have so many issues with the chalk (or thalk) core.

7. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?
Im not really an avid risk taker nor an experimentalist when it comes to playstyle and battling skill, so Id think that generally all of my teams follow the same kind of basic structure. I like to try to avoid FWG and Dragon Fairy Steel cores and other stuff like that just for the sake of being a little bit more unpredictable but i usually always just stray back to my comfort zone anyway. I think the team that I submitted for the teambuilding competition really resembles my typical playstyle
I usually bet my cards on 2-3 win conditions that are centered around taking advantage of the holes created by a general offensive powerhouse.

For the sake of having another team:
Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Encore
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Landorus-T (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Rage Powder

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Quick Guard
- Tailwind

I was gonna make an RMT of this rain team as well as a post with it in the frameworks thread because it was a strong example of a solid rain / mega metagross foundation but i guess this could be a little sneak peek. The team has been performing well on the ladder and in room tours.

Anyway, in this team, the offensive powerhouses (Kingdra and Mega Metagross) work together to continuously wear down the opponent with strong, boosted spread moves and single target coverage while Talonflame checks the walls they cant beat, and then I bring along two support Pokemon, in this case Toed and Amoonguss, to take hits and mess up the opponent's momentum. Then, one more general pivot, I mean of course it's Landorus-T because who wouldnt use a genie nowadays. Landorus adds physical bulk, strong fast spread coverage, and a secondary check to sun. And Heatran. But yeah it's pretty standard of what you'll see from rain or mega metagross nowadays.

8. If you could change anything about Doubles OU, what would it be and why?
Generally I think the metagame is fine as it is, I mean I was fine with Shaymin-S and Im fine without Shaymin-S. the dou metagame is naturally a very stable one, which makes things interesting because no matter what we suspect, there's always ground for debate.

But, and this is coming from a person that personally isnt too invested in the tournament circuit, I think in terms of the community, I would like to see some less focus on tours, and some more focus on improving the general skill level of our userbase. It's pretty obvious that there is a wide gap in experience and battling ability between the tour regulars / strong players like Stratos, Laga, and finally, and almost everybody else. It's not really that big of an issue because smogon tours are a great way to get people involved, but I also think that we have to do a little bit of re-focusing onto getting our newer players incorporated into the ladder and to get them contributing on Smogon, which is why I have been a very big supporter of all of the recent DOU room changes, and SpaceBass's many varied attempts to get more inexperienced players involved.

9. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
I really love the way it's so open to discussion about other things besides Pokemon, too. For example, if I ever want to discuss anime or manga, it's so easy because everyone is a weaboo nerd! Also, the memes are really nice, I mean we've got top tier memers like Rei and xzern so things are never boring

(I got to see a picture of Rei's leg. It was hot)

10. Do you have any advice for people who want to improve at Doubles?
ugh I feel terrible for saying this and Im probably gonna get yelled at later but one of the worst things that can happen to newer players is for them to play a battle on the ladder and get misconceptions about what is good and what isn't in dou. So Ill say this: if you're really new, avoid the ladder. Instead, take some time to play in room tours, and to chat with experienced players from smogon. They generally have a much better idea of what they're doing than the ladder even up to like rank 1500. Find some friends that either fit your playstyle or have experience fighting against it, so you can share team ideas and strategies together. Oh and also, get a smogon gold account. The perks are too great to pass up.

11. Is there anything you like to do outside of playing Pokémon?
Im a huge (American) television nerd, and I have a wide variety of music tastes too. For TV shows... I go nuts around actioon hero shows like Daredevil, The Flash, Gotham, or The Arrow. I also like my fair share of drama shows... like The Fosters, or Teen Wolf, and political dramas like House of Cards and Scandal. ooh and How to get away with murder. I'd try listing them all but there are too many.

In terms of music... I like a lot of things so if you like it and it's fairly popular, chances are I do too. Outside of time spent in pleasure, Im an asian booknerd so I study a lot and stuff. oh also if you play Puzzle and Dragons hit me up

12. @Finally... why are you gay?
Well I actually used to be straight, but once in 2012 I was standing in a subway and I accidentally touched a boob, and that scarred me for life so now I like men.

---
thanks for the great interview ele :]

Last edited:

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
You talk about top notch memers and don't mention trains smh

What are some general battling tips you have for inexperienced players?
There have been a lot of changes in room auth these past few weeks, including a new owner. What are your thoughts; do you feel it changes the dynamic of the room?
Are you involved in any high school sports or activities?
Who's the cuter tier leader; Arcticblast or Mizuhime?

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Mfk stratos, audio, arcticblast

Also when are you leading the bloody revolution to get your room owner status back?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why are you turned on by middle school Asian chicks?
Ok but the real question is who isn't

You talk about top notch memers and don't mention trains smh
Who is trains? Is he like fangame10?

What are some general battling tips you have for inexperienced players?
While it may seem obvious, it's always helpful to calm down and always think through your moves. Try to weigh the risks / rewards of each of your actions, visualize win conditions, and work to reach them.
Also don't use Terracott.

There have been a lot of changes in room auth these past few weeks, including a new owner. What are your thoughts; do you feel it changes the dynamic of the room
As a past roomowner myself, I understand the responsibilities and expectations held by those who obtain such a position, and by no means are they a trifle. I have always been in support of the prospect of SpaceBass taking up more leadership responsibilities in the community; he is an experienced player that cares about the tier and does everything he can to help it, so in my opinion he was the best man for the job. As for the other auth changes... I was in support of those too (if I wasn't, do you really think they would have gone through? ;P) Now we have a whole bunch of capable moderators to watch over the room 24/7, and it's great to be able to work so closely with these people. In my point of view, the room is constantly improving.

Are you involved in any high school sports or activities?
Not for school, but on my own time Im a health / nutrition fanatic, and I also lift.

Who's the cuter tier leader; Arcticblast or Mizuhime?
This is actually a hard question to answer, and I had to think about it for a while. Mizuhime's always been a cool person to talk to, and she's gotten a lot more shit than she deserves lately. On the flipside, Arcticblast plays Splatoon, so.... in the end there wasn't really that much of a competition. I'm gonna have to say Arcticblast.

Mfk stratos, audio, arcticblast
This is an easy question. I'd marry them all, fuck them all, and then kill them all. Not necessarily in that order, and not necessarily at different times, either ;)

Also when are you leading the bloody revolution to get your room owner status back?
At this point, I really don't want to cause any more drama over the situation. I've realized now that the reasons that caused my demotion were valid, and to be honest even I felt I wasn't pulling my weight. With the new recent RO promotion, I feel like the room is in better hands, so I have no qualms with what happened, and am just looking to help out as best I can with whatever position I've got.

I got Augustin????? I guess that is kind of accurate

LOokinggggggggg though... why the heck was that show cancelled

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi guys

i've made it to 17 weeks which i'm pretty proud of. i don't think there's a single project ever before that i worked on longer than 17 weeks. but i don't feel like doing it anymore. i used to like doing it until the last few weeks which felt like "ugh i have to interview someone again" and that's not the correct mindset to have.

i hope you guys have enjoyed the interviews and thanks for all interviewees for taking their time to answer my questions. however i didn't want the project to die entirely, and actually i have found a new interviewer for the thread!

Yoda2798 !

i hope he'll be able to do a good job with the interviews and i have complete trust in him n__n

thanks for reading i guess
- melo

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Interviewee #18 - 13ulbasaur

Hi! I'm 13ulbasaur o/.
I'm a casual bum Pokemon player who grew up in Malaysia, and moved to New Zealand around 5 years ago. I like to draw and am hoping to get into a graphic design course for Uni next year.

2. Where did your username come from and why did you stick with it?
Haha oh jeez, my username. its the bestttt.
Well, I was a Bulbasaur fan even when I first discovered the internet (my sister brainwashed me as such), so my usernames used to always be XxBulbaxX or OoBulbaoO or some such variation (ah yes, the life of an internet fledgling). The change to 13ulbasaur happened when I was introduced to the MMO, Maple Story. There, I first discovered the usage of '1337'. A lot of character names there used numbers over letters (for strategic reasons, surprisingly enough). The turning point was when I saw someone whose name used a 13 over a B in their name, which gave me this brilliant idea for a new character name. I've been using it since as usernames. :>

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
I started playing Pokemon a little bit competitively around late DPP. However I still didn't understand a lot, and I quit when I realised that a person who was helping me out had tricked me into thinking it was legal to gen Pokes to have 252 EVs in every stat.I came back into the scene when XY came out, and I learned how easy they made it to breed good mons in game and there wouldn't be 252 EVs in every stat mons.

I gained an interest in Doubles when I watched the VGC matches of 2014 Worlds, then ended up moving to Smogon Doubles because I signed up for either VGC or smog dubs for tutoring and ended up with smog dubs. It was my first time ever being in an actual competitive pokes community and feeling welcome, and I thought the people in the room were really fun and silly, so I stuck around especially for the room and also because dubs is a heck of a lot more fun. <3

4 Who was it that tutored you?
Stratos. \o/
he's like the "grumpy old man teacher", seems really scary at first but he's actually really nice just covers his fluffiness in a coat of insults

5. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why?
Playstye, huhhhh... What, like, Balance, Hyper offense, bulky etc? I don't really know, I've never classified teams and such in those such categories. If I had to say though, it would probably be some variation of balance simply based off the mons I like to use. I enjoy really high power, fast mons. But I never have just that and always have numerous bulky slower mons to support those faster mons. So I suppose that's it. Hahaha, I sound so silly right now.

6. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Competitively, gah, what a tough choice. I like so many. If I had to choose one, though, Mege Metagross might just come up a mite above the others. There's something about that Poke that just 'clicks' with me, I find it so comfortable to use. It is fast and has a lot of power, which I mentioned liking a lot before, so it's just up my alley in that category. It's also overall just fun to play with a sub user that's fast as well (sub is my favo). I also like Scarfdreigon just to make kamikaze17 mad at me and also because #innovation. ok maybe its not really innovation but #surprisefactor

Overall, well, my favourite overall Pokemon is obviously Bulbasaur and co. but that's too obvious and everyone knows that so it's a boring answer, so my next favourite Pokemon overall would have to be a tie between Hawlucha and Furfrou. Something about those two pokes really captured my heart when I caught them in XY. I just think they have awesome and cute designs, are fun to use, and I would definitely want them as bros if Pokemon were real.

7. Do you believe there is anything broken or suspect worthy in the current metagame?
No, not really. Part of what I really like about dubs is how balanced it is compared to singles.
I don't think anything is really broken atm (tho if I had to take personal grudges into this, i hate hoopa and its protect breaking shenanigens >:O ).

8. Do you follow the tournaments scene much? With both Seasonals and Open both recently underway, who do you think are the favourites to win?
wait shoot, I totally forgot that seasonals is happening. that shows how much I follow the tour scene.
but yeah no I need to start watching the tours more.

Favourites to win, me? I'm personally cheering for Hashtag to win, one because he's my buddy and two because hopefully it'll make him slightly less mad that I forgot to sign up for Open. i didn't even know sign ups were open by the time it had closed. also hes a gud player :B
hashtag pls dont abandon me

9. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?
The Real One (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 48 HP / 196 Atk / 12 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute
- Protect

Boo Gumdrop ♥ (Terrakion) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Protect

eZ (Rotom-Heat) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 200 HP / 88 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Blessed Milk (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 112 SpA / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Snarl

Magic (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Substitute

Fairy Counter (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Ok so this here is probably my favourite team, granted I need to update it for hoopa because I completely forgot to do that. It's centered around my bby metagross, with a few bits of #innovation #surprisefactor (not anymore) sprinkled in with scarf HP ice hydrei and sub amoong (thanks flan). It's just a straightforward team. hit things, support things that hits things, try to win. I think it's decent enough, anyway, but I was never the best teambuilder nor battler.

10. If you could change anything about Doubles OU, what would it be and why?
More people helping newbies. \o/
I feel like some people can get a little hostile with newbies and their amazing 'strats', which turns people away from help and doesn't actually convince them that their strat is bad.
It can get a little frustrating and I find myself sometimes getting a bit passive aggressive, but otherwise people will never get better. Just calmly explain why something is subpar or bad and help them understand because what may seem obvious to some people is completely new to others.

Even just tossing out recommendations to randoms on ladder helps, even if they get angry.
It's something I do while watching random battles on ladder, and for every 1 in 5 people that listen, that's potentially another player who may end up becoming a part of the community and even evolve into a great player, you never know. Furthermore, even if the person gets mad at the advice, they may still think upon the advice in the future and apply it accordingly, maybe even subconsciously.
At least, that's what happened with me and criticism regarding my art when I was younger so I'd like to think something similar applies here.

11. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
Everyone is so silly \o/ Silly = Fun, and I like how people don't take everything so seriously.
And, even tho I talked about being nicer to newbies, I also like the community's general straightforwardness. It's a nice trait, I think, people aren't afraid to let their opinions be known and more importantly it means people throwing insults at each other a lot. It's fun to watch.

the memes help too

12. Do you have any advice for people who want to improve at Doubles or are new to the tier or community?
Don't be afraid to ask people for help, and don't be afraid of criticism! You'll never improve if you don't accept or consider advice and instead take things personally, even if the words are a bit rough.
When people talk about changing things on your team, or your whole team, or comments about what you should have done in a fight, it's not because they hate you and purposely want to berate you, it's because they want to help improve your team and your skills. No one starts out on top, and you must expect a few falls before you can reach the peak. Don't be discouraged, because knowledge is something that must be gained, and skill is something that must be honed.

Also, here's one of my favourite quotes from one of my favourite graphic designers.
"Don't try to be original. Just try to be good." - Paul Rand

13. You are well renowned for your art skills; what got you into drawing, and did you start off doing Pokemon, or was it something else that got you interested?
lol 'skills'.
What got me into drawing was my sister, she's an amazing artist and as the younger sibling I always wanted to mimic big sis. While the extent of our drawings were usually just tracing Digimon and Pokemon from the digimon magazines and Pokemon handbooks we used to get, I always found it fun.
Parents praising you for everything you do ever also helped add to my interest, I always wanted praise. I remember taking pictures my sister drew to school and claiming it was mine to my classmates just so I'd get the praise.

tfw bad artist.

My sister still remains my greatest inspiration, and she is the one who always helps me with my stuff and encourages me to improve. She's still miles better than me too.

14. How would you describe your art style, and what do you love about doing art the most?
I'd describe my art style as "was a stubborn kid who refused to listen to people who knew what they were talking about in art and only wanted to imitate anime style and is now filled with regret and tried to rectify that but in the end said 'eff it it's not like im doing illustrations for a career ill just do whatever".

What I love about art is that it's so satisfying to make something you like. Like it's amazing to look at pictures other people have done, but if you manage to create your own picture to a similar standard, it's like, extra satisfying. It's like those pictures of fluffy dogs with puppies and they are like 'i made these' but instead of fluffy puppies it's a dumb picture.

15. Do you have any tips for anyone looking to get more in touch with their creative part and start drawing?
What is this, an arteview? Anyway, don't do what I did. Start with the basics, don't try to jump far in and imitate styles. There's a saying, you need to learn the rules before you break them. Get a basic understanding of form, anatomy, draw from realism. Start with simple shapes like eggs, cubes, oranges, before you move into more advanced things. This allows you to understand how things should look, and thus allows you to break away from the rules and create effective styles of your own. Really good anime/manga/cartoonists can draw from realism, and they can draw their respective styles extremely well because of their in depth understanding of it. It also makes it much, much easier to draw. And again, don't be afraid of criticism.

Also Deviantart's really asspatting community is really bad for your growth as an artist.
I'd recommend conceptart.org as a great community. There are very many talented artists there to take inspiration from, a fair number of events to participate in, and most importantly, people here will give you great advice and criticism and guidance. Just browsing the criticism section of the forum is great in of itself, you'll see pictures that you think are amazing but bam, it can be improved even further. This can be a great mindset, you are never at your best, you can always improve further.

Also, art is a labour of love.
It's something you need to dedicate years to, and draw every day, to see improvement.
Don't expect things to happen overnight, as long as you keep at it, you will reach your goal.

16. Other than art, is there anything you like to do outside of playing Pokémon?
I like to play MMORPGs a lot. Stuff like World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV. They are my favourite genre of game definitely, playing and co-operating with other people and exploring the worlds. Plus it's a great way for me to just sink time away.

tfw good social life
tfw it heavily conflicts with the fact that I have a lot of design assignments to do

17. Is there anything you would like to say or speak about?
ill get gud one day u just watch \o/

also this video will make you very happy and you should watch it

Thanks for the interview 13ulba :]. Keep looking forward to the weekly interviews and be sure to ask any questions of your own as always.

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
great arteview on both yoda and bulba, i'm looking forward to a lot of the future interviews because yummy this looks very surprising :DD

now a small question:
1. why do you always get so nervous before playing games for tours and ladder?

2. what is your opinion on swagger currently

3. how do you keep so calm and happy and fluffy

edit: 4. are you ready

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
no exceptions even though you're the best

mfk Arcticblast, Audiosurfer, Stratos

Stratos

Banned deucer.
oh my god honestly i forgot that i had tutored 13ulba and i was looking forward to seeing who had tutored her and then i read the answer and i was like

and then i remembered that she was utterly terrified of talking to people on the ps chat and i was like "calm down what are internet people going to do to you lol"

and i made a team with her and it had tyranitar in it, those were the dark times. it also had moltres rofl. and she nicknamed them all things like "wew" and "bleh"

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
great arteview on both yoda and bulba, i'm looking forward to a lot of the future interviews because yummy this looks very surprising :DD

now a small question:
1. why do you always get so nervous before playing games for tours and ladder?

2. what is your opinion on swagger currently

3. how do you keep so calm and happy and fluffy

edit: 4. are you ready
1. That's what I'd like to know. I used to always fight my sister just fine in pokes when we were younger, but when I was about 10-ish I suddenly didn't like it anymore. I had a very angry Pokemon-battle-less sister as a result. I think it's because this kind of 'strategy' games really brings out my paranoid nature. Other than that I think it's just a lack of practice, like others have told me.

2. annoying

3. Didn't you just ask why I always get so nervous? :B
I don't know, I don't consider myself that happy and fluffy. If I had to say, though, it's really just the fact that I enjoy people around me being happy--I'm really bad at handling people who are down in the dumps. I like to think that by being a fairly positive presence myself, I can brighten the mood for others. Especially since my mum is a very spiritual person and she often talks about how people can emit energies which affect people around them. Though I'm not sure that transfers through the internet.

4. no

A question for the 13ulbasaur. Why are you the best guest to appear on the kyle cole and tgmd's channel?
I dunno, I'm a pretty bad player (as evident the last time I was on, forgetting that my aegis had Wide Guard against an eruption spamming typhlosion) and I stutter too much. so I guess its because im a real grill

13moebasaur
:I

no exceptions even though you're the best

mfk Arcticblast, Audiosurfer, Stratos
[07:47] 13ulbasaur: check
[07:47] 13ulbasaur: can I just
[07:47] 13ulbasaur: not kill anyone
[07:47] Checkmater: 13ulb no

:(

i actually can't answer this it's killing me or I'll never get this post out i can't figure it out

oh my god honestly i forgot that i had tutored 13ulba and i was looking forward to seeing who had tutored her and then i read the answer and i was like

and then i remembered that she was utterly terrified of talking to people on the ps chat and i was like "calm down what are internet people going to do to you lol"

and i made a team with her and it had tyranitar in it, those were the dark times. it also had moltres rofl. and she nicknamed them all things like "wew" and "bleh"
lmao stratos

i jokingly suggested moltres expecting you to tell me it was bad and to use talon instead but you didn't so I thought moltres was a legit pick
that rmt still haunts me

also bonus here's my favourite quote during said tutoring
Pwnemon:i am mean because i wnat u to succeed :(

also
Pwnemon: PLS DONT THROW THE GAME
Pwnemon: U WIN
Pwnemon: UNLESSDUMB
13ulbasaur: I'M THINKING
13ulbasaur: QQ
13ulbasaur: PWNE PLS
Pwnemon: hard status:
Pwnemon: ( ) hard
Pwnemon: (x) not hard

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
any tips for being a fluffy cute user?
what is your opinion on Boo Gumdrop♥ getting rejected?
on a scale of 1 to 10, what did you eat for breakfast this morning? (or yesterday, if you haven't eaten yet today)

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
so you'd be able to answer the mfk question if we'd exclude the k part
er maybe

any tips for being a fluffy cute user?
what is your opinion on Boo Gumdrop♥ getting rejected?
on a scale of 1 to 10, what did you eat for breakfast this morning? (or yesterday, if you haven't eaten yet today)
idk, be postive and be nice
very salty on that. how could someone reject the best name? in fact when I get home I'm gonna go on skype and fight him about it again
8/10

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Interviewee #19 - iliketrains11

I'm iliketrains11 and I like trains and memes

2. Where did your username come from and why did you stick with it?
my name came from the I Like Trains Kid from the asdfmovie videos. I stuck with it because I can't think of a better name :I

I started playing competitive pokemon a bit over 2 years ago when I 1st found out about Pokemon Showdown. My 1st ever team had a copycat/roar prankster riolu and I thought I was the best player ever. I started doubles after Mega Gengar (my waifu) gotbanned from XY ou. I think doubles is so much more fun than singles because of all of the dank strats you can use in doubles.

4. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why is it Perish Trap?
I like perish trap so much just because of how rustled everyone's jimmies get over it. It's the best feeling when your opponent starts TYPING IN ALL CAPS calling you a bundle of sticks and other not nice sayings. I'm just an asshole lol. Also it makes people not use lame ass chalk teams because they just die to perish trap :^).

5. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
My favorite pokemon to use competitively by far is Mega Gengar. Shadow tag is the best ability IMO, and Mega Gengar's the best user of it. It's the thing that makes perish trap work You can do so many things with it. You got perish trap, durant trap, you can use it as an offensive mon, you can do encore+ disable with whimsicott.

TFW i was looking through my list of teams and AT LEAST 70% of them had a gengar on them :I. My favorite pokemon overall is Wobbuffet, because he's fun af to use and hes the best charecter in the pokemon anime IMO. Can we pls have him in Pokken tournament nintendo pls.

6. What is Durant Trap?
its like the dumbest strat ever
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesubers-272254725
this is the dubers version

7. Do you believe there is anything broken or suspect worthy in the current metagame?
I find shaymin-sky to be suspect worthy because its not broken you fucking dinguses. But other than that not really anything. THUNDER WAVE, ROCK SLIDE AND CONFUSION ARE NOT FUCKING COMPETITIVE

8. With both Seasonals and Open both underway, who do you think are the favourites to win?
qsns wins both imo

9. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?
(BAN ME PLEASE) (Thundurus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

M'lady (Murkrow) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

Deoxys-Weed (Deoxys-Speed) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

420 BLAZE IT (Meowstic) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect

SMOKE WEED ERDAY (Liepard) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

ILLUMINATI (Klefki) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
SWIGGITY SWAG AYY LMAO
how 2 use team: 1. be luckynbad 2. use swagger and thunder wave and then foul play 3. dank

10. You are well renowned for your "unconventional" strategies. What do you think are some of the best and worst gimmicks?
The best gimmick IMO is perish trap because for me at least it's the one that's worked the most in tours n shit. Other gimmicks that arent that can work are follow me slowbro, defog contrary (LELLERS), and MAYBE secret power+ grassy terrain and durant trap

The worst gimmick team I've ever made TBH is either the mimic mega glalie team to mimic boomburst (so bad lol) and assist v-create (stop using heatran ;_;) and now for some real talk: STOP USING SKILL SWAP+ SLAKING, DAVILAIVANBULLSHIT, THAT SNORLAX SHIT, ANYTHING ON VERLISIFY'S SHITTY YOUTUBE CHANNEL, AND MOST OF ALL

STOP
FUCKING
USING
SPINDA
ARCANINE
GOD
FUCKING
DAMN
ITS
LITERALLY
THE
WORST
FUCKING
GIMMICK
EVER
CREATED

11. If you could change anything about Doubles, what would it be and why?
I wish people would be more innovative. sometimes when I'm watching tour battles and I get so bored because both people bring bunnies or chalk and I just leave because that's just not fun to watch for me.
remove genies

12. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
My favorite part IMO is the memes. I like memes.

13. Is there anything you like to do outside of playing Pokémon?
I spend a lot of time playing other games. Some games I play are Halo, super smash bros, mario kart, and runescape (im a nerd ik). My laptop is a piece of shit so i can't rlly play many pc games RIP

14. Is there anything else you would like to say or speak about?

Thanks trains for the interview, stay tuned everybody as always for a new interview each Monday!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)