ORAS UU Type Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Just a note, if you reserve a core, try to get it done within a timely matter (like within the same day of reserving) so others will be able to see sets, etc. :] good luck again

Last edited:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

A classic core (I'm not a very original person), which is very effective in the current meta.
Cobalion acts as the SR setter, necessary fighting-type and yellow magic spreader. Salamence is a perfect partner for Cobalion: it can switch into the fighting, fire, ground attacks that Cobalion fear and fire off powerful special attacks. It even removes hazards thanks to Defog, and it does this pretty easily with all the switches the scary dragon forces. Finally, Florges help this core by curing it of status ailments, and switching into strong special attacks that Coba and Mence cannot take.
Beside having amazing type synergy, being able to check nearly the entire UU meta, this core packs important roles that a lot of teams need: hazard control, status spread, cleric support, and win condition (with CM Florges). With these roles fullfilled, the 3 teamslots left can be freely used to do whatever is needed.

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
sorry i took so long i forgot about this

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum
- Frustration

Salamence @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Yache Berry
Jolly Nature / Naive Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost / Iron Tail / Fire Blast

pretty simple, trap the forretress / doublade with specs magnet and find an opportunity to sweep with puff or mence. mence is also there to check fighters and punch holes in shit that could potentially take a hit from puff like that dumbass defensive arcanine.

pair with volt switch forry to lure doublade / opposing forry and if you wanna be a total dickhead memento whimsicott.

Last edited:

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Yeah pretty much, all you need to know about this specific project is in the first post :]. Welcome to Smogon btw
Thanks! I have been on Showdown for a while, but never registered a Smogon Account, lol :)

I also feel like a lot of these Dragon Fairy Steel cores have Florges and Salamence... just an observation

Last edited:
reserving mega steelix, salamence florges

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Roar

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Synthesis
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Salamence @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Claw

Ok, so this is becoming one of my favorite fat cores of the tier. Inherent to the typing of the core, they have near perfect synergy to deal with a lot of attackers. Steelix provides reliable hazard setting, Florges can pass easy wishes to teammates, and Fatmence provides a universal check all and removes hazards. Steelix over Aggron because of that sweet ground typing and also because stab earthquakes are suprisingly powerful. Overall a really good stall core, it just needs stuff to deal with Reunclus and Co.

Last edited:
reserving mence, doublade and florges

Florges @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword/Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

Salamence @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Naive Nature or Timid Nature w/ IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake/Defog
- Roost

A straightforward bulky balance/offense core. As most of Fairy/Steel/Dragon cores, Salamence, Doublade and Florges have a great synergy altogether. Salamence can take the Fire types that gives trouble to this core, Doublade is a universal check to most physical attackers and Florges can check most special attackers even without any special investment. Salamence and Doublade aim to break Florges checks for a CM sweep late game.

About Salamence: I chose to run Special Mence because it cares less for Entei's Sacred Burns. I rather use a mixed set with Earthquake to lure special walls like Empoleon that gives Doublade and Florges problems. Fire Blast inflict hard damage to most Steel types in this tier, OHKOing Doublade and taking about 50% from Mega Aggron. Draco Meteor bc drop a draco. If you are really in need of a defogger, you can drop EQ for it, just remember to change natures, IVs and I recommend Leftovers over LO, as the passive recovery helps you pivoting in attacks and defogging :)

About Doublade: universal check etc. Nothing really new about Doublade here: altho my other two team members resists Fighting attacks, Doublade is what hold most Fighting STABs to be rolling. I'm in a hurry and can't really list what Doublade checks but I guess Mega Aero, Cobalion and Whimisicositott are some of the premier things Doublade is going to switch into. Altho we are aiming for a CM Florges sweep here, Doublade can give a lot of trouble late game, if you manage to beat opp special attackers.

About Florges: the icy on the cake. This core is actually kind of old, but since CM Florges is getting more attention lately, I guess I would drop it here. Early-mid game Florges can act as a tank and a cleric with Aromatherapy support, but it's late game where it shines. Since both Doublade and Mence are acting as offensive physical pivots, I chose to run a Calm nature with 16 EVs in SpD so she can take special attacks better prior to CM boosting.

Maybe I edit later with some more info but for now this is it ( i gtg to work D: )

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion

Salamence @ Life Orb
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail
- Roost

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Stealth Rock / Grass Knot / Roar

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate / Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-turn / Stun Spore
- Encore

s/o to shiba for reminding me a new week was up or else I'd have forgotten.

This is a nice Offensive balance that came to my mind when I saw the typing's for this week.

I really like mixed attacking LO Iron tail mence right now because florges is one of the main answers to the special set and you can really catch a lot of people off guard and pop 'em with an iron tail after some prior damage. Intimidate is always nice for checking stuff like coba and Life orb dracos in the back are always nice to have and roost provides durability throughout a battle.

Offensive shuca empoleon is starting to pick up some steem and for good reason. It can stomach an important hit from a massive threat to your team like a mamoswine or a +1 salamence and OHKO it back giving your team a big relief from those threats. If you don't have a rocker on your team you can always fit it into empo's set or you can run GK to hit cune or roar for bulky set up mons like rest talk cune and snorlax.

I rounded the core out with one of the better pivots in UU in Whimsicott. Offensive whims can be a headache for offense to switch into with a boosted fairy STAB. U-turn gives it a good ability to grab momentum and keep up offensive pressure with sala or any other wall breaker a team has. You could also run stun spore for sweeper stopper support or to just cripple a wall breaker. Encore lets you check passive threats who like to spam recovery moves and bulky set up sweepers.

That's all I got, Hope you guys like it!

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
+
+

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Florges @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

These three are an amazing combo. Taunt + Roost LO Hydreigon is arguably its best set right now as it is able to wear down the opponent quickly with its great STAB combination as well as having access to reliable recovery. Doublade not only provides a nice win condition, but has perfect defensive synergy with Hydreigon, allowing them to hit hard while taking advantages of their immunities / resistances as a duo. WishTect Florges, while not its best set rn imo, is really good for this core as it keeps the other two healthy and status free, allowing them to wreak havoc on the opponent. This core appreciates entry hazard support as it can further wear down the opponent's team with Hydreigon shutting down any form of recovery / Defog and Doublade being a decent spinblocker.

To be honest, the extreme lack of Granbull cores pushed me to submit this one. This is a balanced core that resists every type of move in the game. The core has a combination of hazards, status spread, and stall breaking potential. It is a really fun and useful trio. Here are the sets!
@

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
Scald

Stealth Rock

Defog

Roar

@

Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
Dark Pulse

Draco Meteor

Roost

Taunt

@

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
Thunder Wave

Play Rough

Earthquake

Heal Bell
Empoleon: This metal penguin provides me with hazard support and the ability to wall fairy types. The ability to wall fairy types is important for my Hydreigon and conserving health for my Granbull. The ice and dragon resist is also great to have. Although my Granbull will be the one switching into Mamoswine and dragon moves, Granbull's should not be hit specially if you want to use it to its fullest. The poison resist is very important. I take no damage and set up or bait a coverage move into my Hydreigon. Roar may be something that is not as necessary with Empoleon since we do have taunt Hydreigon to deal with a lot of those situations. If no Roar I suggest using Flash Cannon since it hits Toxicroak, Abomasnow, and Kyurem which tend to destroy the trio.

Hydreigon: Not only is this dragon really powerful, but it also fits with a ton of cores. Having Hydreigon on this core was an easy pick. It provides an abundant amount of resistances and adds the speed and killing factor to this core. The stall breaker set works out better than the others because of its ability to roost off damage and to prevent set up sweepers. I also needed the extra power of a Life Orb. The scarf set, although speed was needed, could not work nearly as well as this set. The most important role is probably the resistances to Chandelure and Entei. It's immunity to ground attacks allows me to come in on a predicted Earth Power from Nidoqueen or Kyurem and then kill off with a Draco Meteor.

Granbull: Pink dogs are a funny concept if you think about it. Anyway Granbull is my physically defensive pivot/wall. The intimidate is very useful when shuffling around to get an advantage or just straight up walling a threat. Fighting types rip apart Empoleon + Hydreigon so having a physically defensive fairy fit in perfectly. Its ability to shut down threats with T-wave and having great attack with Play Rough and Earthquake allows massive amounts of potential. The go to move with granbull is T wave. Pokemon that come in on T-wave, like Krookodile and Nidoqueen, are hit super effectively by either Play rough or EQ. Heal Bell comes in handy when Hydreigon gets burned from Sacred Fire or Scald. Empoleon tends to gets statused a lot too being my P2 switch.

Here are core threats and how to deal with them!
vs
Drain Punch>
-1 Gunk Shot>
<Draco Meteor
Of course you have to fear the SD. Once you get in Hydreigon safely, then you draco.
vs
Ice Beam>
Earth Power>
<Draco Meteor
Similar situation. Unfortunately the empoleon switch is really predictable and Focus Blast is something Kyurem sometimes carry.
vs
Poison Jab>
Drill Run>
<Twave or Poison Jab>
<Scald
This gets a minus one on Beedrill without risking the P jab damage. Empoleon in the end fires off a scald or Granbull takes the damage and T-waves.

Here are three other Pokemon that this core needs help with!
Dazzling Gleam
Aura Sphere
Life Orb

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Thats a pretty sick core, I decided not to participate in this one, but I was actually thinking where the Granbull is haha! I feel like these cores are mostly made up of Salamence and Florges. Nice Job DaSpoofy!

gonna actually start being part of the UU community :D
but reserving Granbull + Mega Ampharos + Ferroseed

Granbull @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Super Fang
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off / Spikes / Protect / Bullet Seed
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Okay, so the point of this core is to check/counter pretty much all of the physical UU metagame. It doesn't have much walling potential on the special side, with the exception of Ampharos being able to eat up a couple hits from certain special mons.

This core is more of a support core for offensive portion of a balance team.
Besides being a nightmare to physical attackers, this is a defensive core meant to be used for a balance team, since Granbull greatly supports your offensive presence with Super Fang, making your wallbreaker's and sweeper's lives easier by pressuring walls, along with Heal Bell, letting you play a little more recklessly against status abusers. Ampharos also provides slow volt switch which helps you to get offensive momentum and a really good status sponge with resttalk. Ferroseed is useful for your offense to punish your opponent for mindlessly clicking U-turn and getting momentum on you. Ampharos is also a great switchin to keep Knock Off away from Ferroseed. Offensive and defensive measures can be taken for your teambuilding from here, and there's honestly better options than Ferroseed but I wanted to play around with it and there's the Dragon/Fairy/Steel requirement.
edit: 4 Spe on Granbull to speed creep 0 spe ampharos because i can

Threats:

Lmao every time i build a team i have absolutely no switch ins for this monster. What's new? A Specs variant actually clicks shadow ball 6 times against this core. Also Trick can easily cripple any SpDef walls that could try to switch in but you can just click thunder wave.

don't have any ground or ice resists with this core, but ferroseed can 1v1 it, especially with and attack drop from Granbull.

/

Again, no switch ins in this core so if skarmory could drop to UU that'd be great

Thankfully, none of these want to switch into Dpulse from Ampharos.

Team Options-

Defensive:

If you wanna take a more defensive route, Slowking, Umbreon, Blissey, Porygon2, Cresselia, Bronzong, and Snorlax are great options for a desperately needed switch in to Nidoqueen. Florges, Aromatisse, Blissey, Umbreon, and Alomomola gives you a cleric, which makes it a lot harder for your opponent to pressure Ferro and Granbull.

damn that's a lot of pink ew ._.

Offensive:

All of the pokemon above greatly appreciate having their checks and counters instantly weakened by Granbull's Super Fang and free switch ins from Ampharos. Scarf Krookodile can give you a Pursuit trapper that will keep Chandelure from completely destroying you, while Hydreigon provides a solid switch in to chandy.

Sorry if this ends up being bad, haven't tried it out, a little too stally for my tastes. I may have got too innovative with ferroseed. Forry and maybe Bronzong probably does the same thing but better tbh

Last edited:
Reactions: rs

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Alright guys voting time for the
cores! Most of these cores actually depended on the Steel-Type used (a lot of the ones with Mence and Florges), which was pretty cool n_n. To vote just post the user's name. Good luck guys!

Vapo:

Goodra:

Kreme:

LetMeShine-:

Aquadext:

kokoloko:

Serperior for Uber:

malinowski:

iWanka:

NV:

DaSpoofy:

ShiningFire08:

Dragon:

Fairy:

Steel:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Not one Kyurem core? Terrible :(

Anyhow have to vote kokoloko because that is a sick offensive core that I've used myself and had good success with.

I'd like to note that in koko's core, Magneton can't trap Doublade period due to that the latter being a ghost type. You can still lure it with Fire Blast Mence though so that is cool I guess.

My vote goes to Kreme :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)