Pyroak

Alright, so the QC team has had quite a bit of discussion on which moves should be listed in Pyroak's set and in what order they should be listed, but we still haven't reached a definite conclusion. The fact is, Pyroak has a LOT of somewhat viable -> very viable options for its utility set, including (but certainly not limited to) Synthesis, Lava Plume, Earth Power, Giga Drain, Stealth Rock, Aromatherapy, Roar, Leech Seed, Substitute, and Ancient Power. As such, we haven't yet reached a clear consensus on what the best way of organizing and slashing these moves would be. However, I'd still like to try and get the ball rolling with this analysis, since we as a team haven't been posting here too much lately, and Pyroak is an important Pokemon we need to get onsite!

Here are the main points the QC team generally seems to be in agreement on:
  • Synthesis is very important for Pyroak's longevity; it's basically a requirement for Pyroak to continuously check the heavy offensive threats of the current metagame, including Mega Metagross, Mega Altaria, and more, throughout the course of a match without being worn down too quickly. Damage piles up quickly on Pyroak due to its SR weakness, as well as the generally high overall power of the threats it's expected to check. Without Synthesis, Pyroak simply finds itself being overwhelmed by wallbreakers and sweepers much too quickly and isn't as effective of a utility counter as it could be. As such, we think it'd be optimal if Synthesis is listed in the first slot with no slashes.
  • Lava Plume is generally agreed to be Pyroak's most useful all-around attacking move since it has the added benefit of spreading burns, in addition to being a reliable STAB move. However, Giga Drain allows Pyroak to serve as a much better check to Water-types as mentioned in previous posts, and also significantly improves Pyroak's matchup against Ground-types. Earth Power has the obvious benefit of nailing Heatran and has arguably more solid two-move coverage alongside Lava Plume. Ancient Power is a cool lure to catch stuff like Talonflame and Zard Y on the switch, but isn't necessarily main slash material since we'd like to avoid cluttering up the set with too many options.
  • The remaining support and utility moves Pyroak runs are highly dependent on what kind of support is required by its team. Stealth Rock, Aromatherapy, Roar, and Leech Seed are all plenty viable in this regard; some other status moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Toxic also see occasional use.
With all of these points taken into account, here's a potential layout for Pyroak's set:

move 1: Synthesis
move 2: Lava Plume
move 3: Earth Power / Giga Drain
move 4: Stealth Rock / Leech Seed / Aromatherapy / Roar

I think this accurately portrays the many options available to Pyroak, while emphasizing the importance of Synthesis in the current metagame. I'm not set on the exact set order myself quite yet, particularly with the utility options, so this should be discussed further. One of the biggest things to note is that there is the option of running fewer attacks in favor of more utility moves, so this should be clearly emphasized in the Set Comments. This particular set ordering shows Recovery + Attack 1 + Attack 2 + Utility, and it should be noted that Recovery + Attack + Utility 1 + Utility 2 is a perfectly viable option, as it allows Pyroak to provide more support to its teammates, but at the cost of narrowing the range of threats that Pyroak can serve as an offensive check to. I just want to avoid an abomination like...
move 2: Lava Plume / Earth Power / Giga Drain / Ancient Power
move 3: Stealth Rock / Aromatherapy / Leech Seed / Roar
move 4: Stealth Rock / Aromatherapy / Leech Seed / Roar / Substitute / Will-O-Wisp / Toxic / Earth Power / Giga Drain / Ancient Power / Swagger / Hyper Beam / Dragon Breath

...you get the idea. cbrevan and I had a conversation about Pyroak on a PiratePad a while back, and it devolved into something like this because we couldn't decide how to organize stuff lol
Anyway, I don't expect this to be the final ordering of Pyroak's moves; I would certainly like to hear your feedback on this, as well as the rest of the QC team's. Pyroak just has such a wide variety of options that there really isn't one "correct" way of doing this.

Here are some of my personal thoughts I'll include in this reply:
  • The set name should be changed from "Leech Seed" to "Utility". I think Leech Seed was the main idea of the set earlier on in the generation, but it's been a while, and Pyroak's role as a utility counter + supporter has become much clearer in the current metagame. I think most players would agree Leech Seed is no longer a requirement for Pyroak (but certainly still a great option).
  • The current EV spread is fully physically defensive, with a specially defensive spread in Set Details. While this is probably fine, I've been messing around with mixed spreads a lot, and I think one should definitely get a mention (eventually) if it helps to maximize the amount of important threats that Pyroak can handle. I'm still not sure what the "best" spread for this would be, so I'll get back to you on this.
  • Once you make the changes to the moveset, these changes should be reflected in your bullet points for Usage Tips, Other Options, Checks and Counters, and any other relevant sections.
  • When you mention the Swords Dance set in Other Options, also touch on Rock Head and Flare Blitz / Wood Hammer, since those are the main draws of running the set. SD + two high-powered recoil-less STABs is pretty fun imo, even if the set is kinda unviable :D
  • In Checks and Counters, change Toxic to "Residual Damage" and touch on its SR weakness and vulnerability to all entry hazards as well. It should be noted that Toxic damage can be circumvented if Pyroak runs Aromatherapy.

Hopefully this post isn't too long or overbearing; I just wanted to get all of the information down. Let me (or another QC peep) know if you had any questions or comments on any of this.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh god yes implement all of the above, I agree with all of it. I'm want to emphasize that we expect you to update every part of the analysis that is affected by these changes, including Other Options and Checks and Counters.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
sparktrain said:
One of the biggest things to note is that there is the option of running fewer attacks in favor of more utility moves, so this should be clearly emphasized in the Set Comments. This particular set ordering shows Recovery + Attack 1 + Attack 2 + Utility, and it should be noted that Recovery + Attack + Utility 1 + Utility 2 is a perfectly viable option, as it allows Pyroak to provide more support to its teammates, but at the cost of narrowing the range of threats that Pyroak can serve as an offensive check to.
You still need to implement this part of the check. Explain how Recovery + Attack + Utility 1 + Utility 2 can be used over Recovery + Attack 1 + Attack 2 + Utility and the advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

There also needs to be a mention of Ancient Power in either Set Comments or Other Options.

I'd prefer that SD Pyroak not be mentioned at all since it is nigh unviable, but since sparky is fine with it being there you can keep it. At the very least move it to the bottom of Other Options and emphasize how bad it is.

One of the biggest things to note is that there is the option of running fewer attacks in favor of more utility moves, so this should be clearly emphasized in the Set Comments. This particular set ordering shows Recovery + Attack 1 + Attack 2 + Utility, and it should be noted that Recovery + Attack + Utility 1 + Utility 2 is a perfectly viable option, as it allows Pyroak to provide more support to its teammates, but at the cost of narrowing the range of threats that Pyroak can serve as an offensive check to.
You still need to implement this part of the check. Explain how Recovery + Attack + Utility 1 + Utility 2 can be used over Recovery + Attack 1 + Attack 2 + Utility and the advantages and disadvantages of doing so.
This part still needs to be implemented.

As for a mixed spread, this could be worth listing: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD + Bold nature

This gives Pyroak enough physical bulk to switch into even Adamant Mega Metagross and win, even with SR on the field (barring flinch hax). The remainder is put into SpD; this lets it take on some special attackers like +3 Manaphy a bit more easily.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 192+ Def Pyroak: 151-178 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Overview looks a bit slim at the moment, but I assume the main points will be elaborated on in the write-up. With that in mind, good work QC 2/3

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
MQJinx said:
This set typically runs two attacks to make Pyroak more self-sufficient and cover more of the metagame. However, running only Lava Plume and two utility moves can be used, sacrificing Pyroak's ability to hit some of its switch-ins like Heatran, Mollux, and Plasmanta for more support for Pyroak's teammates.
This portion should be in Moves instead of Set Details.

Checks and Counters section is lacking; Mega Charizard-X can set up on sets lacking Earth Power and Roar, or those lacking Ancient Power or Roar if it hasn't mega evoed already. Magic Guard Clefable can set up on Pyroak lacking Roar with ease, as can Refresh Altaria and Calm Mind Latias. Wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U and Manaphy can also set up and break through Pyroak.

A setup sweeper section should be added to account for the above mentioned Pokemon, although Charizard can be contained to Fire-type Pokemon.

Mega Diancie should be mentioned in Offensive Rock-types since it blows though mono-attacking sets and can threaten other sets well.

Implement these changes can consider this QC 3/3.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i kept typing pyroar
i'm probably going to do it again in the queue

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Pyroak's high great (hmm i'm not completely committed to this but it feels a little weird calling bulk, which isn't quantitative, "high", as opposed to speed or defenses, so) bulk and unique type combination allows it to check Pokemon like Sylveon, Mega Metagross, and Mega Altaria. It also has Battle Armor, (RC) to preventing critical hits from ruining its day. In addition, it has and a huge support movepool with options such as Leech Seed, Roar, Stealth Rock, and Aromatherapy that provides various options to support the team. However, it does not have that much offensive presence, which is further hindered by its low Speed. Its weakness to Stealth Rock and vulnerability to passive damage threatens to wear it down. Also, especially as common attacking types in Poison, Rock, and Flying can easily force it out, which can stack with entry hazard damage.

[SET]
name: Utility
item: Leftovers
ability: Battle Armor
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
ivs: 0 Atk (if you're just including this bc it's a special attacker there's no need)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Synthesis allows Pyroak to reliably recover health, enabling it to survive longer against many of the threats in the CAP metagame. Lava Plume is the main STAB move on this set, with a 30% chance to burn the foe opponent. The listed secondary attacks make sure that Pyroak is not completely countered by Mega Diancie. Earth Power hits Electric-types like Cyclohm and Plasmanta, Poison-types like Mollux, and Steel-types like Heatran, while Giga Drain hits foes such as Colossoil, Rotom-W, Manaphy, Stratagem, and Slowbro. The last move is dependent on the team. Stealth Rock is used if none of Pyroak's teammates can fit it into their movesets. Leech Seed capitalizes on Pyroak's bulk and ability to force switches to pressure the opponent with passive damage. Aromatherapy can be used to remove status from the team, while Roar can phaze setup sweepers and rack up entry hazard damage. This set typically runs two attacks to make Pyroak more self-sufficient and cover more of the metagame. However, running only Lava Plume and two utility moves is an option can be used, sacrificing Pyroak's ability to hit some of its switch-ins like Heatran, Mollux, and Plasmanta for more support for Pyroak's teammates.

Set Details
========

Running 248 HP EVs and 252 max Defense EVs with a Bold nature maximizes Pyroak's physical bulk, (AC) allowing it to wall any physical attacker that cannot 2HKO it, while reducing having it take minimum Stealth Rock damage. Leftovers is used because as Pyroak needs all the health it can get. Battle Armor is used to prevent critical hits. Pyroak can also run a specially defensive spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD to handle special attackers such as Mega Gardevoir and Syclant, although it is then more reliant on burns to wall powerful physical attackers. If Pyroak needs to take on both physical and special attackers, then a mixed spread of 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD with a Bold nature can be used to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Metagross's Zen Headbutt after Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Pyroak fits on bulkier teams, as they often are not too concerned about losing offensive momentum. Teams that need its resistances, particularly those that need a check to Mega Metagross and Mega Altaria, appreciate Pyroak's support. Switch Pyroak in on these threats and anything else that cannot deal much damage to it. When Pyroak needs to attack, it should use Lava Plume to spread burns, while using and its coverage to surprise switch-ins. If using running Giga Drain, try to determine when to use Synthesis or Giga Drain as the method of recovery. Pyroak should use Stealth Rock if it is facing an opponent that does not have hazard control. Leech Seed should be used on predicted switches to wear them down. If running Aromatherapy, use it sparingly and at the most crucial moments, as it has limited PP. If Roar is being used, take advantage of the Pyroak's ability to stop setup sweepers and phaze switch-ins for increased hazard damage to the opponent's team.

Team Options
========

Chansey, Clefable, (AC) and Sylveon are great partners for Pyroak, as they can pass Wishes to Pyroak. Chansey can also handle Plasmanta, Mega Charizard Y, and Stratagem, while Clefable and Sylveon can deal with Tomohawk and Mega Sableye. As Pyroak is vulnerable to entry hazards, particularly Stealth Rock, a Rapid Spin or Defog user is an excellent partner for Pyroak. Tomohawk, Excadrill, Starmie, Mega Blastoise, and Colossoil provide Rapid Spin support, while Scizor, Kitsunoh, Skarmory, Zapdos, Latias, Latios, and Mew provide Defog support. Wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Hoopa-U can break through Pyroak's defensive answers such as Mollux, Heatran, and Plasmanta. Cyclohm is a good partner as well, as it can check Flying-types that threaten Pyroak, and it appreciates Pyroak's ability to check Fairy-types. Water-types such as Arghonaut, Rotom-W, and Slowbro are also good options, as they can check Fire-types, while Pyroak checks Grass-types and Electric-types in return. Arghonaut is notable, (AC) as it can also check Rock-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Pyroak can also use Will-O-Wisp to get a guaranteed burn on the foe opponent. Earthquake can be used to hit specially defensive Heatran and Mollux, though it requires a Relaxed nature. Substitute can be used on sets with Leech Seed to take advantage of the switches Leech Seed forces provides and can make Pyroak annoying to take out. Ancient Power hits Charizard and Talonflame, though it hits nothing else relevant outside of these two. It may be tempting to run a Swords Dance set with Wood Hammer and Flare Blitz due to its Pyroak's access to Rock Head. However, this set is mediocre, (AC) as Pyroak has a pitiful base 70 Attack.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Residual Damage**: Toxic limits Pyroak's stalling capabilities by placing a timer on it. Note that Toxic users that which are slower than Pyroak risk a Substitute blocking Toxic, though f. Faster Toxic users can cripple Pyroak no matter what move it is running. However, Pyroak does have access to it is neutered by Aromatherapy to remove status. Entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, can quickly reduce Pyroak's lifespan.

**Setup Sweepers**: Pokemon like Magic Guard Clefable, Calm Mind Latias, Hoopa-U, Manaphy, and Refresh Mega Altaria can set up on any Pyroak lacking Roar.

**Trick / Switcheroo**: Being locked into one move via a Choice items completely cripples Pyroak, (AC) as it relies on Leech Seed to fulfill its job. Gothitelle is a solid user of Trick due to Shadow Tag.

**Fire-types**: Heatran can switch into Lava Plume—and if it is holding an Air Balloon, Earth Poweras well—and can Taunt Pyroak. Mega Charizard Y does not care about anything Pyroak throws at it aside from Leech Seed and can retalitate with a Droughtsun-boosted Fire Blast. Mega Charizard X can use any Pyroak lacking Earth Power, Ancient Power, or Roar as setup bait.

**Special Poison-types**: Although both Mollux and Plasmanta fear Earth Power, they can take any of Pyroak's other moves and nail it with Sludge Wave or cripple it them with Trick and Taunt, respectively. Mega Venusaur can take a Lava Plume due to Thick Fat and retaliate with Sludge Bomb.

**Offensive Rock-types**: Stratagem forces out Pyroak with STAB Ancient Power or Paleo Wave, and it can switch into Earth Power if it has Levitate. Mega Diancie can force out Pyroak with Diamond Storm and can bounce back Leech Seed, Roar, and Stealth Rock. Tyranitar and Terrakion also hit Pyroak hard, though they are crippled by a burn and can be hit hard by Giga Drain.

**Offensive Flying-types**: Togekiss has Air Slash to strike Pyroak hard, and its 60% flinch chance due to Serene Grace can help wear it down. Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Staraptor can severely dent Pyroak with their STAB attacks. Talonflame can even set up on Pyroak due to its Fire typing preventing a burn, only caring about Leech Seed or and Roar.

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye can set up on Pyroak due to Magic Bounce blocking Leech Seed and Roar and its special bulk.

**Tomohawk**: Tomohawk can Taunt Pyroak, cripple it with Toxic, or just strike it hard with Air Slash, while all Pyroak can hope to do is hit Tomohawk with Leech Seed on the switch-in or inflict a burn.

**Calm Mind Naviathan**: Calm Mind Naviathan can set up on Pyroak lacking Earth Power or Roar due to Heatproof reducing damage from Lava Plume and burns, and it can also use Substitute or Taunt to stop Leech Seed and Roar.

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]

Pyroak's great bulk and unique type combination allows it to check Pokemon like Sylveon, Mega Metagross, and Mega Altaria. It also has Battle Armor to prevent critical hits from ruining its day and (I'd hardly call this a big draw of Pyroak. If it is that notable, though, you can leave it.) a huge support movepool with options such as Leech Seed, Roar, Stealth Rock, and Aromatherapy. However, it does not have that much offensive presence, which is further hindered by its low Speed. Its weakness to Stealth Rock and vulnerability to passive damage wear it down, especially as common attacking types in Poison, Rock, and Flying can easily force it out.

[SET]
name: Utility
item: Leftovers
ability: Battle Armor
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Synthesis allows Pyroak to reliably recover health, enabling it to survive longer against many of the threats in the CAP metagame. Lava Plume is the main STAB move on this set, with and has a 30% chance to burn the foe. The listed secondary attacks make sure that Pyroak is not completely countered by Mega Diancie. Earth Power hits Electric-types like such as Cyclohm and Plasmanta, Poison-types like such as Mollux, and Steel-types like such as Heatran, while Giga Drain hits foes such as like Colossoil, Rotom-W, Manaphy, Stratagem, and Slowbro. (Protip: If you're describing an entire category or the majority of it, use "such as." If you're describing only certain examples within a category, use "like.") The last move is dependent on the team. Stealth Rock is used if none of Pyroak's teammates can fit it into their movesets. Leech Seed capitalizes on Pyroak's bulk and ability to force switches to pressure the opponent foe with passive damage. Aromatherapy can be used to remove status ailments from the team, while Roar can phaze setup sweepers and rack up entry hazard damage. This set typically runs two attacks to make Pyroak more self-sufficient and cover more of the metagame. However, running only Lava Plume and two utility moves is an option, sacrificing Pyroak's ability to hit some of its switch-ins like Heatran, Mollux, and Plasmanta for more support for Pyroak's teammates.

Set Details
========

Running 248 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature maximizes Pyroak's physical bulk, allowing it to wall any physical attacker that cannot 2HKO it, while and reducing Stealth Rock damage. Leftovers is used because Pyroak needs all the health it can get. Battle Armor is used to prevent critical hits. Pyroak can also run a specially defensive spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD to handle special attackers such as Mega Gardevoir and Syclant, although it is then becomes more reliant on burns to wall powerful physical attackers. If Pyroak needs to take on both physical and special attackers, a mixed spread of 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD with a Bold nature can be used to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Metagross's Zen Headbutt after Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Pyroak fits on bulkier teams, as they often are ususally not too concerned about losing offensive momentum. Teams that need its resistances, particularly those that need a check to Mega Metagross and Mega Altaria, appreciate Pyroak's support. Switch Pyroak in on these threats and anything else that cannot deal much damage to it. When Pyroak needs to attack, it should use Lava Plume to spread burns and its coverage to surprise switch-ins. If running Giga Drain, try to determine when to use Synthesis or Giga Drain as the method of recovery. Pyroak should use Stealth Rock if it is facing an opponent that the opposing team does not have entry hazard control. Leech Seed should be used on predicted switches switch-ins to wear them down. If running Aromatherapy, use it sparingly and at the most crucial moments, as it has limited PP. If Roar is being used, take advantage of Pyroak's ability to stop setup sweepers and phaze switch-ins for increased entry hazard damage to on the opponent's team.

Team Options
========

Chansey, Clefable, and Sylveon are great partners for Pyroak, as they can pass Wishes to Pyroak it. Chansey can also handle Plasmanta, Mega Charizard Y, and Stratagem, while Clefable and Sylveon can deal with Tomohawk and Mega Sableye. As Pyroak is vulnerable to entry hazards, particularly Stealth Rock, a Rapid Spin or Defog user is an excellent partner for Pyroak. Tomohawk, Excadrill, Starmie, Mega Blastoise (lol), and Colossoil provide Rapid Spin support, while (Mega?) Scizor, Kitsunoh, Skarmory, Zapdos, Latias, Latios, and Mew provide Defog support. Wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Hoopa-U can break through Pyroak's defensive answers such as Mollux, Heatran, and Plasmanta. Cyclohm is a good partner as well, as it can check Flying-types that threaten Pyroak, and in return it appreciates Pyroak's ability to check Fairy-types. Water-types such as Arghonaut, Rotom-W, and Slowbro are also good options, as they can check Fire-types, while Pyroak checks Grass-types and Electric-types in return. Arghonaut is notable, as it in particular can also check Rock-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Pyroak can also use Will-O-Wisp to get a guaranteed burn on the foe. Earthquake can be used to hit specially defensive Heatran and Mollux, though it requires a Relaxed nature (why is this not ideal?). Substitute can be used on sets with Leech Seed to take advantage of the switches Leech Seed forces and can thus make Pyroak annoying to take out. Ancient Power hits Charizard (Which one? If both, use "both Mega Charizard formes") and Talonflame, though it hits nothing else relevant outside of these two but those are its only two targets. (Far less of a mouthful) It may be tempting to run a Swords Dance set with Wood Hammer and Flare Blitz due to Pyroak's access to Rock Head. However, this set is mediocre, as Pyroak has a pitiful base 70 Attack.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Residual Damage**: Toxic limits Pyroak's stalling capabilities by placing a timer on it. Note that Toxic users that are slower than Pyroak risk a Substitute blocking Toxic, though faster Toxic users can cripple Pyroak no matter what move it is running. However, Pyroak does have access to Aromatherapy to remove status ailments. Entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, can quickly reduce Pyroak's lifespan.

**Setup Sweepers**: Pokemon like Magic Guard Clefable, Calm Mind Latias, Hoopa-U, Manaphy, and Refresh Mega Altaria can set up on any Pyroak lacking Roar.

**Trick / and Switcheroo Users**: Being locked into one move via a Choice item completely cripples Pyroak, as it relies on status moves to fulfill its job. Gothitelle is a solid user of Trick due to Shadow Tag.

**Fire-types**: Heatran can switch into Lava Plume—(unbold)and if it is holding an Air Balloon, Earth Power as well—(unbold)and can Taunt Pyroak. Mega Charizard Y does not care about anything Pyroak throws at it aside from Leech Seed (what about Ancient Power?) and can retalitate with a sun-boosted Fire Blast. Mega Charizard X can use any Pyroak lacking Earth Power, Ancient Power, or Roar as setup bait.

**Special Poison-types**: Although both Mollux and Plasmanta fear Earth Power, they can take any of Pyroak's other moves and nail it with Sludge Wave or cripple it with Trick and Taunt, respectively. Mega Venusaur can take a tank Lava Plume due to Thick Fat and retaliate with Sludge Bomb.

**Offensive Rock-types**: Stratagem forces out Pyroak with its STAB Ancient Power or Paleo Wave moves, and it can switch into Earth Power if it has Levitate. Mega Diancie can force out Pyroak with Diamond Storm and can bounce back Leech Seed, Roar, and Stealth Rock. Tyranitar and Terrakion also hit Pyroak hard, though they are crippled by a burns and can be hit hard by Giga Drain.

**Offensive Flying-types**: Togekiss has Air Slash to strike Pyroak hard, and its 60% flinch chance due to Serene Grace can help wear it down. Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Staraptor can severely dent Pyroak with their STAB attacks. Talonflame can even set up on Pyroak due to its Fire typing preventing a burn, only caring about Leech Seed and Roar.

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye can set up on Pyroak due to its strong special bulk and Magic Bounce blocking Leech Seed and Roar and its special bulk.

**Tomohawk**: Tomohawk can Taunt Pyroak, cripple it with Toxic, or just strike it hard with Air Slash, while all Pyroak can hope to do is hit Tomohawk with Leech Seed on the switch or inflict a burn it.

**Calm Mind Naviathan**: Calm Mind Naviathan can set up on Pyroak lacking Earth Power or Roar due to Heatproof reducing damage from Lava Plume and burns, and it can also use Substitute or Taunt to stop Leech Seed and Roar.
GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)