Little things you like about Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Real men spam Earthquake, tho.
Well it's the first Gym so I don't think Cresselia~~ would have Earthquake yet (plus Fennekin doesn't learn Earthquake). Also Earthquake would have been kind of useless to spam against Vivillon. But Ember wouldn't. :P

NEW LIKE: I just found out something neat recently. Pokemon has plenty of classic tunes they use over and over again though they sometimes show some love to sometimes forgotten themes. The tune I'm thinking about it what many would consider the PokeWalker's menu theme:

Now the Pokewalker was pretty much the successor the Pokemon Pikachu 2GS, a sort of tamagotchi device where you played with a Pikachu pet. However it didn't have any music so many probably assumed the Pokewalker theme must be a new tune since they never heard it in any of the games before.

WRONG! The tune were in the games, but for a part of the game you needed a mostly* non-Pokemon accessory for. The Gameboy had an accessory known as the Gameboy Printer. Now it was meant to be a companion accessory to the Gameboy Camera, but there were some games made to be able to print stuff on the Gameboy Printer. And wouldn't you know it, Pokemon was one of them, specifically Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal. You could print Dex entries, diplomas, Unown letters, and other little things. And when printing (or has an error), it played this jolly tune:

Yup, the Pokewalker theme (a successor the the Pokemon Pikachu 2 GS) plays a remix of the Gameboy Printer theme in the Pokemon games! It's a neat way to combine several of the component devices that was released around the time of Gen II for their remakes during Gen IV. :D

*Japan did release a Pokemon-themed Gameboy Printer, though any Gameboy Printer worked with the Pokemon games.

Well sort of on the topic of music in HG/SS, I like that Ho-oh and Lugia got their own, unique themes that seem to befit their environment, which did carry over to OR/AS even though the environment of the Sea Mauville isn't really like that of the Tin/Bell Tower and Whirl Islands. Raikou and Entei, however, got their own takes on the Beast Trio encounter/battle theme. (Suicune had the standard, but it fits it nicely anyway and was going to be the one guaranteed to be encountered as a nod to Crystal version) It was a nice touch, making them feel just a little more special.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hm, maybe I should talk about the interesting aspects of the trainer classes... later.

But first I want to add one more bit for music. When you heard about the Pokemon typing game you probably thought not much about it, it's just an edutainment game using Pokemon to teach kids how to type. So imagine my surprise when not only did I find out it had boss battles but the theme of the boss battles was this:

Because when you think a theme for learning to type, you think techno rave.

Hm, maybe I should talk about the interesting aspects of the trainer classes... later.

But first I want to add one more bit for music. When you heard about the Pokemon typing game you probably thought not much about it, it's just an edutainment game using Pokemon to teach kids how to type. So imagine my surprise when not only did I find out it had boss battles but the theme of the boss battles was this:

Because when you think a theme for learning to type, you think techno rave.
This would make awesome Champion music if the champion was some technology guy.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I really like the Gen 6 Hex Maniac. First time I saw her I cracked up at those eyes, she's one of my favorite NPCs that isn't a part of the story. She reminds me of Gollum in a way.
Hex maniac is actually very popular in Japan too.
She's different from the rest because she isn't designed by Ken Sugimori.
She's the only one that's designed by Tamori is Taru.
(Warning: Don't google him unprepared because he's known for drawing gross stuff)

Quacklin' the Farfetch'd. On my first nuzlocke run he became one of my key members and actually ended up at the E4 before being killed by Malva. I wish he could have appeared in the anime: maybe it would be like the Raticate/Butterfree subplot in the first season and his trainer abandoned him for being weak. Quacklin' is just plain awesome and I wish he would have been given some more attention. At least make a meme or something people.

Quacklin' the Farfetch'd. On my first nuzlocke run he became one of my key members and actually ended up at the E4 before being killed by Malva. I wish he could have appeared in the anime: maybe it would be like the Raticate/Butterfree subplot in the first season and his trainer abandoned him for being weak. Quacklin' is just plain awesome and I wish he would have been given some more attention. At least make a meme or something people.
Well that would be a bit Farfetch'd, wouldn't it?

Well that would be a bit Farfetch'd, wouldn't it?
This is one of the things I like about Pokémon.
Actually, Farfetch'd IS one of my favorite things about Pokémon. For a time when I was younger, it was my favorite Pokémon and I still absolutely love its name (similar to my love for the Yu-Gi-Oh card Scapegoat).
Speaking of Farfetch'd, another thing that I always enjoy, yet don't understand why it exist, are the random interruptions in Pokémon the First Movie. You know the parts, where the movie stops and starts showing a weird clip with a bunch of Pokémon (like Farfetch'd or Magnetmite) and then goes back into the film. (If you don't remember, here's an extended version of one with Jigglypuff) It makes no sense, and slows down the movie, yet I always enjoyed them.
"Exeggcute." "Oddish." "Exeggcute." "Oddish." "Exeggcute." "Oddish."

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
While looking through the Trainer Classes I couldn't find anything I particularly liked (aside how it's interesting to see how they keep changing the design and what they decide to retain through designs). However while looking through it did remind me something I liked: How some Gym Leaders are just "expert" versions of a particular Trainer Class. Some examples I think of:

Misty is a Swimmer (female).
Erika is a Kimono Girl.
Sabrina is a Psychic (technically the first female version of that trainer class).
Falkner is a Bird Keeper.
Bugsy is a Bug Catcher.
Chuck is a Blackbelt.
Clair is a Dragon Tamer.
Roark is a Worker (miner).
Maylene is a Battle Girl.
Byron is also a Worker (miner).
Striaton Twins are Waiters.
Burgh is a combination of Bug Maniac and Artist.
Elesa is a Beauty.
Marlon is a Swimmer (male).
Korrina is a Roller Skater.
Ramos is a Gardener.
Valerie is a Furisode Girl.

I could also probably do Elite Four and Frontier Brians but I think I got my point across. It makes them feel a bit more grounded, like you can see where they "started" and it's not like they're the only person of that job around.

Another thing for songs, did you know Slowpoke had its own official reggae song:
There's also a Japanese version starring Tomoaki Imakuni (those who were into the TCG may recognize him).

I like that even if the Trainer classes themselves have the same names in every region, they still get semi-unique designs in almost every new gen appearance. It helps give the region a bit of an identity and avoids what would be one of the easier aspects to recycle artistically.

I also like the inclusion of things like the second Day Care and the "Egg Loop" in ORAS's Battle Frontier. While obviously not perfect in its implementation with the Sand and such, it's an acknowledgement by Gamefreak within the design of the Game itself towards the competitive player's benefit without being at the expense of casual players. It's easy to be aware of the competitive environment, but considering the broken base between casual and competitive, and the former accounting for the majority of their sales in terms of exclusively one vs another, it's nice that they still throw stuff in for the other side as well.

I like how Wulfric acknowledges that Ice types aren't the strongest, and that he is sweeped easily.
"Y'know what? Ice is both extremely hard and terribly fragile at the same time. You know what that means? Depending on which Pokémon you choose and what moves they use, I could be your most challenging opponent yet or I could be a total pushover. But that's all right. That's how it should be! Anyway, enough of my rambling! Let's get this show on the road!"
Such a great line. I'm about to sweep him with my Delphox, so I thought this was a nice time to post this.

Last edited:
I like how Wulfric acknowledges that Ice types aren't the strongest, and that he is sweeped easily.
"Y'know what? Ice is both extremely hard and terribly fragile at the same time. You know what that means? Depending on which Pokémon you choose and what moves they use, I could be your most challenging opponent yet or I could be a total pushover. But that's all right. That's how it should be! Anyway, enough of my rambling! Let's get this show on the road!"
Such a great line. I'm about to sweep him with my Delphox, so I thought this was a nice time to post this.
The honesty is refreshing. You still get the feeling that either way he's going to put up one hell of a fight (he's the eighth gym for a reason). Except against you, of course.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i like how your dad is never there for you in the pokemon games, the lack of a father figure really gives me a good reason to keep on trucking when the going gets rough

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Found this while browsing Tropes:

Scald has a 30% chance to burn, which is higher than most Fire-type moves. There's a reason for that: water and steam transfer heat by direct contact instead of by radiation, making hot water and steam burns more painful (and sometimes fatal) than the common burns you get when you touch something hot, like a flame or a hot stovetop. Water also has a very high specific heat, which means the particles of steam carry huge amounts of damaging energy
I love how among the draconic slugs, giant ghost golems, possesed washing machines, trolling keyrings, sentient garbage bags, and cannon-wielding tortoises, there is cases of realistic science being shown.

Scald is still a colossal pain though.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's a cool coincidence but I'm pretty sure the real reason for it is just to be an analogue to Lava Plume and Discharge.

It's a cool coincidence but I'm pretty sure the real reason for it is just to be an analogue to Lava Plume and Discharge.
Except Scald only hits one target while Lava Plume and Discharge hit everyone but the user. (and an analogue to these moves would more likely be Ice type with a chance to freeze anyone hit solid, Fire/Electric/Ice are often bundled together with similarly poweered moves)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Except Scald only hits one target while Lava Plume and Discharge hit everyone but the user. (and an analogue to these moves would more likely be Ice type with a chance to freeze anyone hit solid, Fire/Electric/Ice are often bundled together with similarly poweered moves)
It's obviously not perfectly analogous, what I mean is it's in the "80 Base Power with 30% effect chance" group, along with stuff like Poison Jab, Iron Head, etc. along with Discharge and Lava Plume as I mentioned earlier. The moves with 90/110 base power tend to be about 10% chance and the 80 base power moves tend to have 30% to offset the power difference. Still doesn't stop it from being a cool fact.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Speaking of Wulfric, it reminded me about the little animations the Gym Leaders in XY and ORAS did just before the battle started. Wulfric specifically stands out because he does a gut smack which I thought was funny. It gives them a bit more personality and maybe a little bit of what you can expect from them. Also found it funny how him and Valerie took up 3 tile spaces. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)