The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbh i accidentally read a comment on kissanime after like episode 6 and it spoiled who the 7th was. FML
I thought it was alright, kinda lost interest in it towards the end, but maybe I would've enjoyed it more if I wasn't spoiled.

One Punch Man hyyyyyyyyyyype

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ENDINGS I THINK R GOOD

DIEBUSTER - UNLIKE RODAN I RLY LIKE DIEBUSTER AND PREFER IT TO GUNBUSTER. THE IMPLICATIONS FOR NONORIRI AT THE END MADE ME CHOKE UP BCUS IT WAS SAD
BLOODY STREAM - BASED JOSEPH JOESTAR AND HIS MECHA NAZI BUDDY 0WN THE FUCK OUT OF THE BAD GUY AND A COOL SONG PLAYS WHILE THEY DO IT, ALSO A VOLCANO ERUPTS JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
KATANAGATARI - H0LY M0LY YASURI SHICHIKA UNLEASHED ON THOSE DUDES AFTER THAT THING HAPPENED, IT WAS V EXCITING AND FIRMLY PLACED KATANAGATARI AS ONE OF MY NO.1 ANIME OF ALL TIME, NisiOisiN IS THE BEST WRITER EVER!!!!!!!!
MADOKA REBELLION - THE TV ENDING WAS TOO NICE, TY HOMUCIFER FOR MAKING THE SHOW FEEL ALIVE AGAIN
NEKOMONOGATARI - HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A DUDE EAT A SWORD SO THAT A CAT GIRL GETS OWNED WHEN SHE GOES TO SLICE HIS BODY IN HALF, I HAVE
EOE - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH (I ALSO LIKE THE END TO 2.22 AND THE TV VER)
THAT ONE ARC OF HARUHI WEAR SHE HAS A PONYTAIL AT THE END - IT'S GOOD AF
SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN - WOAH THIS MADE ME THINK D000D

MANGA

SUNDOME - I NEVER KNEW PISSING COULD BE SO INTERESTING
NAUSICAA - GOOD AF MANGA BETTER THAN THE MOVIE BUT BOTH ARE GOOD
MEDEKA BOX - I WISH TO FUG MEDEKA

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the endings of samurai champloo and non non biyori repeat were both amazing, tatami galaxy's ending was also dope, i also really liked the ending of sayonara zetsubou sensai

Wow, the "ending" to Gangsta. was confusing in the sense that it didn't end or even have an open conclusion. I would understand it more if this was the 1st core and 2nd core was on the way, but as far as I know, nothing of the sort has been announced. So as it stands now, a disappointing end to an otherwise fantastic anime.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
been watching some SoL's in the offseason, finished love lab which was absolutely hilarious and now im watching engaged to the unidentified. it's OK but nothing special - the OP kicks ass though

japanese BONES hype
The Bones show this season looks like something I might watch. I'll just wait and see.

Also, if anyone's seen K, which is getting it's 2nd season this Fall, can anyone tell me if it's any good or not? (The first seasons of Noragami, Gochuumon and Diabolik Loverz (Cause I at least need 1 shit show every season) I do plan on watching anyway, along with Yuru Yuri season 3 (At least the new studio makes Yui's hair actually black and not purple like I thought it was))

K is alright despite being one of those shows that actively tries to make you think it's going to be a lot more action-packed than it actually is, I think I'll watch the second season though I think there's a movie in between the two. It's also worth noting that it's really, really gay. One of the main characters is a catgirl who hates clothes and it's still probably the gayest thing I've watched to completion.

also looks like Gangsta put the final bullet in Manglobe, RIP

well i started shokugeki no souma at midnight and now i'm four episodes in

on one hand i really regret not starting this earlier, but on the other hand i get to binge watch it now

god-tier animation, food looks delicious, characters feel unique (even though they're all classic tropes), and fantastic OP/ED

Asek

Banned deucer.
Recommended
Rokka no Yuusha (8) - Called it earlier in this thread, but this was definitely one of the most fun shows I've seen so far this year. Except for the shit tier quality of the CG monsters, this show was pretty hard to fault. Think this studio is my new favourite, bringing us this and Rail wars. Might read the further LN's before they're adapted, the world and characters were pretty cool.
Gakkou Gurashi (7) - Tense atmosphere behind a cute girls surface, final eps showed me I was actually fairly invested in the characters, neat show
Non Non Biyori Repeat (7) - same SoL kind of stuff, but it has to be one of the most relaxing shows across any medium, whilst easily entertaining. Didn't quite meet the bar set by season 1
Enjoyable
Charlotte (6) - This show was so much better before what happened in ep 8/9 (without spoiling it for those who want to watch it) with quite possibly the least necessary plot twist ever detracting a lot of the appeal that the show originally held, and also exposing it to some stupid plot holes.
Monster Musume (5) - reason to read the manga is trashy fun, reason to watch the anime is trashy fun. It delivers on the premise
Bad
Ore Monogatari (4) - I would have rated this a lot higher if it was a 12 ep show instead of 24, was a drag throughout large parts of the middle (may be being a bit harsh here)
Gangsta (2) - I felt like this show fell into the pitfall of thinking people care about random side characters that have had 5 minutes of screen time. Too little focus on the good elements of the series / good character stories.

and ongoing is Ushio to Tora, which is a sick show so far mind you

For this season I will be watching for sure:

One punch man - mangas been pretty popular for years but I never bothered to read it. The animes been really hyped up in /a/ so I figure nows a good time to get into the series
Owarimongatari - obligatory
Owari No Seraph S2 - S1 was classic bad edgy shounen, not expecting much better here but hey im committed.

Post what you thought of the shows you watched last season ; I found it to be pretty fun which was surprising because I went into it without any big shows like other season have had.

Also give recommendation for next season (no sequels), looking to pick up a few more shows

Post what you thought of the shows you watched last season ; I found it to be pretty fun which was surprising because I went into it without any big shows like other season have had.

Also give recommendation for next season (no sequels), looking to pick up a few more shows
You haven't watched Prison School. Go watch Prison School.

You can then move on to Fall anime. Concrete Revolutio might be good, as well as The Perfect Insider, and Noragami's second season. Otherwise you have the right idea.

Thoughts on previous season things I watched:
(Ranked from best to worst in my opinion)

1. Non Non Biyori Repeat: One of the relaxing yet entertaining shows out there. The focus given to the character that defines the show (Renge) is good but not overdone which I like. Whether this or season 1 is better I still haven't really decided, but this season had a bit more focus on the comedic side, while season 1 was a bit more atmospheric.
2. Himouto! Umaru-chan: What could've been a really annoying show turned into the funniest show I've seen during this season. Each character is lively, and while development is lacking, they still manage to be define-able. The referencial humor actually fits well here (because the title character is an otaku). Downside is that the fanservice wasn't really needed. (+1 for lack of incest ending)
3. Shimoneta: While many said this show went downhill fast, I say otherwise. Taking place in a future overrun by political correctness, the show manages to combine its sexual humor with an attempt at a plot which isn't half-bad. Problem is, the censoring was pointless. (The people who would be offended by the sexual humor probably shouldn't have bothered watching this, will watch uncensored EVENTUALLY but not now) Also, best OP of the season for me.
4. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: A romance show with a really great protagonist. Independent and not a tsundere. A bit too slow in areas though.
5. Gakkou Gurashi: Cute little show about girls in a zombie apocalypse. Plus side is that the emotional side of this show is handled pretty well, and the ideas were executed well. The problems? Filler in the form of fanservice episodes, and that ending. It's a "go read the manga" ending, enough said.
6. Wakaba Girl: Simple moe-blob is simple. Nothing spectacular but I still found it decently funny.
7. Monster Musume: Trashy fun. Suu ruined this show for me. That and throw-away villains. (Like 3 (Perverted camera-man, lesbian dragon girl, the tree thing) of them, why?)
8. Okusama no Seitoukachou: This was awful. Bland ecchi humor combined with bad characters make this painful to watch. Lolicon undertones don't help matter either. (Even more so than Gakkou Gurashi's swimsuit episodes)

Despite this, I do have some other Summer shows I didn't watch while they were airing that I do plan to watch in the future. Both leftovers and new shows.

And Fall shows that aren't sequels? That's a toughie. (Like I did with Shirayuki-hime and Shimoneta this season if I hear a non-sequel show is good I will have the chance of picking it up)

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
like usual i ended up not following through with most of the shows i picked up!!

non non biyori: pretty much the same thing as season 1, really solid show if u just wanna relax. except for that episode 11 which was extremely wild because it was outsourced to david productions

himouto: i think dogakobo did this show perfectly. the humor was solid and never felt forced and the production values were really good. it had some heartwarming moments but never got too serious. what more can u ask from a comedy

gakkou gurashi: i was considering dropping this because from ep 1 they werent following the manga but i ended up trudging through. highly recommend the manga to anyone who enjoyed this since i feel like the anime focused too much on the slice of life instead of the zombie aspects

charlotte: i picked up this halfway through the season and enjoyed it for the first bit but then it crashed and burned. it had a lot of potential but was ruined by shitty writing/pacing. fuck u jun maeda. i dont even remember the names of any character except tomori lol

as for the fall season, mainly looking forward to gochuumon s2, monogatari (owari and KIZU), and yuru yuri s3 unless the new studio ruins it

there doesn't seem to be any new shows worth watching but theres that trigger show that looks like a copy of busou shinki and valkyrie drive: mermaid which is yuri and had a really hype trailer

RODAN

Banned deucer.
the stuff i stuck with last season were mostly good -> great but i also watched a lot less than i usually do

ive raved about rokka no yuusha so much so im not gonna talk about it more but FUCKING fantastic, one of the best shows ive seen in recent memory

overlord had good moments, mostly when it came to One True Saviour Ains Ooal Gown being excessively overpowered, all the stuff in between was slow as balls though

but honestly the actual GOAT show was bikini warriors just absolute perfection, a modern masterpiece

shokugeki no soma was really fucking fun, the cast of characters is really colourful and im a sucker for most cooking shows

ore monogatari! is one of the most adorable shows i have ever seen, and not in the moe way. just genuinely totally perfect gorilla man falls in love with i can only imagine is what scientists would consider a success if their goal was to make a hyperpowerful waifu

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rokka no Yuusha: Came into this expecting typical shonen, got a classic "whodunit." Was really good, best show of the ones I watched
Prison School: Really good, started watching it then read the manga halfway through so I stopped watching the show after like episode 9 (still really good, absolutely loved it, I just don't like watching AND reading the material)
Shimoneta: epic af, thought the censorship was kinda pointless tho (even in subs, the english words were ***'d out). Why watch that type of show if you are going to complain about the lewdness of it lol
Monsume: absolutely awesome, loved the OPs and EDs both, and liked how the plot was really SoL esque (I don't really watch SoL's, but this is what comes to mind when I think of one). Wwaiting for the uncensored but arent we all
Overlord: Epic, up there with Rokka for me. I think the first time I heard of this it was described as "SAO-esque but with Darth Vader as the protagonist" which is kinda fitting. I especially liked the character depth behind Ainz-sama, he wasn't just the stereotypical "gotta save the world," he still had thoughts like a human and still performed actions like he was a giant fucking skeleton. Favorite part was the
part where Ainz just buffs himself for 45-1 minute straight before fighting shalltear. Reminded me of shit in WoW or Dark Souls or some other RPG / MMO. Literally fell out of my chair laughing as I saw it

Those were the ones I watched, I plan to watch Charlotte later (maybe?) but these were the ones I watched and looked forward to every week. Gotta say, this was my first time actually watching anime as it airs and not just binge watching it, and the atmosphere was incredibly different. Absolutely loved it tbh.

For this next season, I think I'm going to finish K (Project K) and pick up K:Return of Kings, Lances n Masques, One Punch Man, and Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai

you guys have any this season you plan on watching?

one punch man is already my aoty and im only 1 ep in
literally the only flaw I found was that, while the key animator guy is a mofo, they probably don't have enough animators for the inbetween frames, so that's why there's noticeably not a lot of frames sometimes.

and they probably should have ended on the 15m mark instead of adding in the dream sequence, that felt kind of out of place, hopefully this doesn't mean bigger pacing mishaps in the future

but I'm just a party pooper, everything else was fucking great

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Shimoneta: that speech Ayame gave after capturing White Peak was the most disappointing crap shit I've ever heard, all that buildup was for nothing ~_~ they basically made her out to be a voyeur instead of someone literally fighting for the right for people to be themselves/free lol, what a letdown, sorta ruined the show for me (which was other than that moment and a few awkward animation sequences utterly fantastic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)