VGC Mega Gardevoir / Trick Room

I don't have enough experience with Trick Room to optimize EV spreads accordingly. I decided to keep the Speed investments because I don't want my team to get screwed if I can't set up Trick Room. If anyone could suggest optimized EV spreads, I would greatly appreciate it!

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace / Pixilate
EVs: 108 HP / 124 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 20 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect
Trick Room is the move this team revolves around. With its in-between Speed stat, M-Gardevoir can lean either way and operate well in and out of Trick Room. Hyper Voice is an obvious choice, powered by Pixilate and hitting both opponents. Psychic is another powerful STAB move, and Protect allows Gardevoir safe Mega Evolving.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 72 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
Suicune is my team's bulky Water-type. Suicune is a fairly versatile mon so it runs a wide EV spread. I chose to run Tailwind in case Gardevoir does not have a chance to set up Trick Room. Scald is a powerful STAB move that provides a possible Burn. Ice Beam is a good coverage move on Suicune and has a chance to Freeze. Gardevoir appreciates the Special Defense drop from Snarl.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect
Heatran obviously does not have high Speed, so it works well under Trick Room. Heat Wave is a powerful STAB moves. Earth Power is mostly for coverage while still being a powerful move. Substitute and Leftovers is an annoying combination, and also works well under Trick Room. Its EV spread allows it to take a -1 Kangaskhan's Low Kick and and Earthquake from Landorus-T.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect
Amoonguss is another mon who operates well under Trick Room. With Regenerate and Giga Drain, Amoonguss can easily restore HP. Rage Powder can help redirect moves like Taunt from M-Gardevoir to help set up Trick Room. Spore can put opponents to sleep and also possibly help Cresselia set up Trick Room. Its EV spread lets it take a Zen Headbut from Jolly Mega Metagross.

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 SpD
Nature: Careful
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Protect
Scrafty provides Fake Out support, allowing M-Gardevoir to set up Trick Room. Having Intimidate threatens opponets that are faster under Trick Room. Drain Punch is a decent STAB move that gives Scrafty a method of recovering HP. Knock Off is useful on any team in VGC.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Super Power
Landorus-T gives my team coverage so I don't have to completely rely on setting up Trick Room. Because of the Choice Scarf, this moveset is obviously completely offensive. Earthquake is a powerful STAB move. Rock Slide is another powerful move that hits both opponents. U-Turn allows Landorus-T a free switch in, and Super Power provides coverage.

Last edited:
Nice team you have made!

First of all, i have to point out the Wide Guard Aegislash issues the team has right now. You can't really do much damage to it with your other mons, it threatens all your team under Trick Room, and can hit both Gardevoir and Cresselia by super effective damage.
Now to fix that, i'd reccomend dropping Cresselia and replacing Shadow Ball with Trick Room on Gardevoir. Cresselia and Gardevoir do kind of the same thing (Cresselia being more bulky, while Gardevoir has offensive pressure). If you replace Gardevoir with Cresselia, an EV spread of 108 HP / 124 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 20 Spe is reccomended to make Gardevoir work in TR and outside of it. The EV spread allows Gardevoir to outspeed neutral nature base 70s, while surviving Gengar's Sludge Bomb on the special spectrum, and LO Talonflame's Brave Bird on the physical spectrum. The question is: How does replacing a SE Move for Trick Room help vs Aegislash? The answer is pretty simple: We freed Cresselia's slot, meaning that we can add a Pokemon that helps versus it.

I thought of Scrafty, a Pokemon that provides Fake Out support, while adding a bit of extra bulk to the team, and adding another Intimidate. Yeah, we're going to hate Milotic, but your team can handle it so it isn't that big of a deal. However, i feel like this slot has a lot of options, but i personally think Scrafty is the better choice.

A simple EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def can work, however, i'd personally reccomend 196 HP / 236 Atk / 52 Def / 4 SpD / 20 Spe with an Adamant Nature holding an Assault Vest to not speed tie with Clefairy and to not kill Aaron Zheng from a laugh attack as well. It also takes Lum Berry Terrakion's Close Combat at neutral, while having as much attack as possible.

Well, with the big changes made, i'll proceed with the minor changes:

Suicune: I would want to know what the EV spread exactly does. It looks like it can OHKO Mega Salamence, but i want to know more info about it before deciding if i make a modification or not.
Heatran: Heatran's EV spread should be something like 44 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe with a Modest Nature. That allows you to take -1 Kangaskhan's Low Kick 100% of the time, while taking Landorus-T's Earthquake with a Shuca Berry, which is the item i usually reccomend for 3 attacks Heatran. If you want to keep Leftovers, i'd reccomend replacing Flash Cannon with Substitute. Your team has an OK matchup vs fairies, and the ability to set up makes Heatran a valuable win condition. Your team also has plenty of ways of creating free turns for Heatran, so that will help Heatran as well.
Amoonguss: The only modification i'll make is giving it an EV spread of 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD with a Relaxed Nature lets you take Jolly Mega Metagross' Zen Headbutt 100% of the time, while bumping those leftovers EVs in SpDef for more general bulk.
Landorus-T: Scarf is fine, but with the need for speed gone, i'd reccomend running an Assault Vest set. Use an EV spread of 164 HP / 36 Atk / 44 Def / 156 SpD / 108 Spe with an Adamant nature. This EV spread takes a lot of attacks from the special spectrum, while outspeeding Bisharp and Jolly Tyranitar, and also KOing Kangaskhan with Superpower after prior damage, The moveset should be the same, but with Stone Edge over U-turn, so you can guarantee the OHKO on Mega Charizard Y which seems like a threat for your team.

Well, there you have it! I hope this changes help you optimize the team. Have a nice day!

Nice team you have made!

First of all, i have to point out the Wide Guard Aegislash issues the team has right now. You can't really do much damage to it with your other mons, it threatens all your team under Trick Room, and can hit both Gardevoir and Cresselia by super effective damage.
Now to fix that, i'd reccomend dropping Cresselia and replacing Shadow Ball with Trick Room on Gardevoir. Cresselia and Gardevoir do kind of the same thing (Cresselia being more bulky, while Gardevoir has offensive pressure). If you replace Gardevoir with Cresselia, an EV spread of 108 HP / 124 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 20 Spe is reccomended to make Gardevoir work in TR and outside of it. The EV spread allows Gardevoir to outspeed neutral nature base 70s, while surviving Gengar's Sludge Bomb on the special spectrum, and LO Talonflame's Brave Bird on the physical spectrum. The question is: How does replacing a SE Move for Trick Room help vs Aegislash? The answer is pretty simple: We freed Cresselia's slot, meaning that we can add a Pokemon that helps versus it.

I thought of Scrafty, a Pokemon that provides Fake Out support, while adding a bit of extra bulk to the team, and adding another Intimidate. Yeah, we're going to hate Milotic, but your team can handle it so it isn't that big of a deal. However, i feel like this slot has a lot of options, but i personally think Scrafty is the better choice.

A simple EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def can work, however, i'd personally reccomend 196 HP / 236 Atk / 52 Def / 4 SpD / 20 Spe with an Adamant Nature holding an Assault Vest to not speed tie with Clefairy and to not kill Aaron Zheng from a laugh attack as well. It also takes Lum Berry Terrakion's Close Combat at neutral, while having as much attack as possible.

Well, with the big changes made, i'll proceed with the minor changes:

Suicune: I would want to know what the EV spread exactly does. It looks like it can OHKO Mega Salamence, but i want to know more info about it before deciding if i make a modification or not.
Heatran: Heatran's EV spread should be something like 44 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe with a Modest Nature. That allows you to take -1 Kangaskhan's Low Kick 100% of the time, while taking Landorus-T's Earthquake with a Shuca Berry, which is the item i usually reccomend for 3 attacks Heatran. If you want to keep Leftovers, i'd reccomend replacing Flash Cannon with Substitute. Your team has an OK matchup vs fairies, and the ability to set up makes Heatran a valuable win condition. Your team also has plenty of ways of creating free turns for Heatran, so that will help Heatran as well.
Amoonguss: The only modification i'll make is giving it an EV spread of 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD with a Relaxed Nature lets you take Jolly Mega Metagross' Zen Headbutt 100% of the time, while bumping those leftovers EVs in SpDef for more general bulk.
Landorus-T: Scarf is fine, but with the need for speed gone, i'd reccomend running an Assault Vest set. Use an EV spread of 164 HP / 36 Atk / 44 Def / 156 SpD / 108 Spe with an Adamant nature. This EV spread takes a lot of attacks from the special spectrum, while outspeeding Bisharp and Jolly Tyranitar, and also KOing Kangaskhan with Superpower after prior damage, The moveset should be the same, but with Stone Edge over U-turn, so you can guarantee the OHKO on Mega Charizard Y which seems like a threat for your team.

Well, there you have it! I hope this changes help you optimize the team. Have a nice day!
Thanks! I'll definitely modify my team with your suggestions.
I like Scrafty- having Fake Out and Knock Off is nice. For Suicune, I just used the recommended EV spread on its analysis. If you have another EV spread that would work better with this team I'd appreciate it!

I just noticed that i reccomended 2 AV users. My bad. Lum Berry Scrafty can work here as well.
EDIT: and what you must use. You can't run Protect in a AV set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)