Not open for further replies.

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus

venipede squad

QC: Megazard / TONE114 / Anty
GP: Ununhexium + The Dutch Plumberjack / Rhythms + Snobalt

[OVERVIEW]

Venipede has a niche as a great suicide Spikes lead in the PU metagame thanks to the combination of Speed Boost + and Endeavor. Because of the lack of reliable entry hazard removers, the Spikes and Toxic Spikes support that Venipede provides is invaluable. Venipede has a niche over Whirlipede because it is able to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu, Simipour, and Kadabra at +1, allowing it to set up a Spike before they Taunt or Encore. However, Venipede is one dimensional and predictable, as it can only perform the role of a suicide lead, and it relies on Endeavor to deal damage, which is not very reliable. In addition, Venipede also has a bad matchup against common leads such as Golem, which has Rock Blast to break its Focus Sash, and cannot do much against Defoggers such as Pelipper and Swanna and spinners such as Armaldo.

[SET]
name: Suicide Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Toxic Spikes
move 3: Protect
move 4: Endeavor
item: Focus Sash
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The combination of Spikes and Toxic Spikes helps with wearing down the opponent's Pokemon, making them easier to deal with. Protect allows Venipede to get an extra Speed boost so that it can outpace threats such as Taunt Simipour and set up at least one layer of Spikes against them. Endeavor allows Venipede to lower the foe's HP down to one and works well in tandem with a Focus Sash.

Set Details
========

The Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Venipede to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu and Grumpig at +1. Speed Boost helps to guarantee at least a layer of Spikes and a layer of Toxic Spikes, or a layer of Spikes and the ability to weaken foes with Endeavor. Focus Sash allows Venipede to survive at least one hit and works well with Endeavor.

Usage Tips
========

Venipede should be used as a lead most of the time so that its Focus Sash can stay intact, but it should not be sent in on multi-hit move users such as Golem, setup sweepers such as Ninetales, or entry hazard removers such as Pelipper, as they can take advantage of it. Use Protect if Venipede is faced with a foe it cannot outspeed, such as Raichu; this also allows Venipede to set up at least one layer of Spikes on faster Taunt users such as Grumpig. Don't set up Toxic Spikes if there is a Poison-type such as Roselia on the opposing team, as they can remove the Toxic Spikes by switching in.

Team Options
========

Venipede fits well on hyper offense teams, as it allows its teammates to pressure and wear down their checks. Spinblockers such as Misdreavus and Dusknoir help with keeping entry hazards on the field; the former can also Taunt Defoggers such as Pelipper. Purugly pressures Defoggers such as Vibrava and Vullaby with the threat of Defiant. Stealth Rock from Piloswine and Probopass deals further chip damage and works well with the Spikes support that Venipede provides. Strong wallbreakers, such as Stoutland and Simipour, appreciate Venipede's Spikes support, which allows them to break through their threats more easily. Late-game sweepers such as Fraxure and Relicanth can set up easily when the opponent's team is weakened.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Toxic threatens entry hazard removers such as Pelipper and allows Venipede to get past Misdreavus, but Venipede lacks the moveslot for it. Infestation helps Venipede to rack up damage and works well with Endeavor, but Venipede doesn't have the moveslot for it.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority Users**: Priority users such as Basculin and Dusknoir allow Venipede to only set up a single layer of Spikes due to Aqua Jet and Shadow Sneak, respectively; the latter is also immune to Endeavor.

**Setup Sweepers**: Venipede has trouble getting past setup sweepers such as Substitute + Nasty Plot Ninetales and Shift Gear Klang, as it relies on Endeavor to deal damage. The former can use Energy Ball and block Endeavor with Substitute, and the latter is able to freely set up Shift Gear and doesn't mind Endeavor due to Gear Grind, though it requires multiple boosts to get past Venipede.

**Entry Hazard Removers**: Entry hazard removers such as Pelipper and Vibrava are immune to Venipede's Spikes and Toxic Spikes and can remove them with Defog.

**Multi-Hit Move Users**: Rock-types such as Golem and Armaldo are able to break through Venipede's Focus Sash due to Rock Blast without having to worry about Endeavor. Marowak can also break through Venipede's Focus Sash with Bonemerang.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Grumpig and Misdreavus limit Venipede to only one layer of Spikes; the latter is also immune to Endeavor.

Last edited by a moderator:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Put infestation in OO, I'd rather use it over poison jab because 0 atk does shit and nabbing a KO after endeavor on pelipper or something isn't even that bad

Don't put such a heavy emphasis on whirlipede in the intro, venipede is way better and it can just get a single bullet saying venipede is better if that

Mention some relevant things protect helps you outspeed like taunt grumpig

You don't really need to mention what kind of teams which spikes work best against, just that going for toxic spikes is somewhat useless if they have a grounded poison type like roselia in the back

in C&C, priority users are the biggest threat, then setup sweepers, removers, rock types, and taunt users in that order. Priority users should get a larger mention that also says how they can limit it to a single spike, and taunt users should also talk about how they can limit it to just one spike. I don't see why ghosts should get a mention when missy and dusknoir fall into two other categories and the others let it set up 2-3 spikes

1/3 rubsomebacononit

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
overview
'Pokemon such as Raichu, Rapidash, Simipour, and Ninetales at +1.'
Outspeed rap and ninetales means nothing as unlike simipour/raichu they cant disrupt you. Kadabra is the best example as it will commonly run encore (raichu/simipour rarely run taunt/encore now but are still worth mentioning)

Also in the overview you should give more of a stress on how amazing spikes/tspikes are as they are great in this meta

set:
Is there a reason not to have timid? It helps vs gourgeist, and even vs vullaby after 3 hits it leaves u at ~5% rather than killing you
Also after mentioning that i realised is there a reason to run any bulk? I cant see any notible priority/etc that you live and w/o hp you get to ur sash easier

'Don't set up Toxic Spikes if there is a Poison-type such as Roselia or a Guts user such as Machoke'
I disagree w/ the guts bit as firstly guts is uncommon outside of machoke (which doesnt alway run it) and it will often still be helpful to wear the opponent down

'Be careful when setting up against Ghost-types such as Misdreavus as they are immune to Endeavor and Venipede has no way of getting past them.'
This is only relevant in certain situations like vs np missy, as agaisnt other ghost types you can still set up all ur entry hazards (gourgeist super is actually very good set up fodder)

OO:
Is there a point mentioning eviolite? At that point i would just use venipede as it actually has /some/ bulk

cc:
'The former can also take an Endeavor thanks to Substitute' - you might wanna reword it to say something like 'can Energy Ball then block Substitute with endeavour' as endeavour will break a sub if at 1%

'**Rock-types**' - this should be call 'Multi-Hit move users' and also maybe mention boomerang marowak? Piloswine shouldnt be mentioned bc icicle crash is better (ice shard + eq kills anyway) but i cant think of any other multihit move users

3/3 rubsomebacononit

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
overview
'Pokemon such as Raichu, Rapidash, Simipour, and Ninetales at +1.'
Outspeed rap and ninetales means nothing as unlike simipour/raichu they cant disrupt you. Kadabra is the best example as it will commonly run encore (raichu/simipour rarely run taunt/encore now but are still worth mentioning)

Also in the overview you should give more of a stress on how amazing spikes/tspikes are as they are great in this meta

set:
Is there a reason not to have timid? It helps vs gourgeist, and even vs vullaby after 3 hits it leaves u at ~5% rather than killing you
Also after mentioning that i realised is there a reason to run any bulk? I cant see any notible priority/etc that you live and w/o hp you get to ur sash easier

'Don't set up Toxic Spikes if there is a Poison-type such as Roselia or a Guts user such as Machoke'
I disagree w/ the guts bit as firstly guts is uncommon outside of machoke (which doesnt alway run it) and it will often still be helpful to wear the opponent down

'Be careful when setting up against Ghost-types such as Misdreavus as they are immune to Endeavor and Venipede has no way of getting past them.'
This is only relevant in certain situations like vs np missy, as agaisnt other ghost types you can still set up all ur entry hazards (gourgeist super is actually very good set up fodder)

OO:
Is there a point mentioning eviolite? At that point i would just use venipede as it actually has /some/ bulk

cc:
'The former can also take an Endeavor thanks to Substitute' - you might wanna reword it to say something like 'can Energy Ball then block Substitute with endeavour' as endeavour will break a sub if at 1%

'**Rock-types**' - this should be call 'Multi-Hit move users' and also maybe mention boomerang marowak? Piloswine shouldnt be mentioned bc icicle crash is better (ice shard + eq kills anyway) but i cant think of any other multihit move users

3/3 rubsomebacononit
I implemented your suggestions, though I have put A naive nature and 0 IVs in HP, defense, and Special Defense. I also added a sentence about using Endeavor in UT.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[OVERVIEW]

Venipede has a niche as a great suicide Spikes lead in the PU metagame thanks to the combination of Speed Boost + and Endeavor. Because of the lack of reliable entry hazard removers, the Spikes and Toxic Spikes support that Venipede provides is invaluable. Venipede's niche over Whirlipede is that it is able to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu, Simipour, and Kadabra at +1 yo this isnt really gp-esque but it might be worth stating why outspeeding these pokemon is important. However, Venipede is one dimensional and predictable, as it can only perform the role of a suicide lead. Also, Venipede relies on doing damage with Endeavor, which is not very reliable. In addition, Venipede also has a bad matchup against common leads such as Golem, which has Rock Blast to break its Focus Sash,. and Finally, Venipede cannot do much to Defoggers such as Pelipper and Swanna and Rapid Spinners such as Armaldo.

[SET]
nature: Naive
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The combination of Spikes and Toxic Spikes helps with wearing down Venipede's foes the opponent's Pokemon foe means the other Pokemon on the field, but Venipede isn't really the one dealing with them, so I feel like this makes a bit more sense, making them easier to deal with. Protect allows Venipede to get an extra Speed boost so that it is able to outspeed threats such as Taunt Grumpig and set up at least one layer of Spikes against them. Protect also allows Venipede to set up at least two layers of Spikes, or one layer of Spikes and Endeavor if it is not faced with a Taunt Pokemon. Endeavor allows Venipede to lower the for foe's HP down to 1 HP one, and works well in tandem with a Focus Sash.

Set Details
========

The EVs in Speed and a Naive nature allows Venipede to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu and Grumpig at +1. 0 Zero IVs for in HP, Defense, and Special Defense make it easier for Venipede to be knocked down to its Focus Sash. Speed Boost helps to guarantee at least a layer of Spikes and a layer of Toxic Spikes, or a layer of Spikes and the ability to weaken foes with Endeavor. Focus Sash allows Venipede to live at least one hit and works well with Endeavor.

Usage Tips
========

Venipede should be used as a lead most of the time so that its Focus Sash can stay in tact, but it should not be sent in on multi-hit move users such as Golem, setup sweepers such as Klang also a multi-hit move user lol, or entry hazard removers such as Pelipper, as they can take advantage of it. Use Protect if you are faced with an opponent foe you cannot outspeed, such as Raichu; this also allows Venipede to set up at least one layer of Spikes on Taunt users such as Grumpig. Don't set up Toxic Spikes if there is a Poison-type such as Roselia, as they will remove them. When Venipede is knocked down to its Focus Sash, Endeavor should be used to weaken its foe, but be wary of Pokemon that carry priority, such as Piloswine.

Team Options
========

Venipede fits on hyper offensive teams as it allows them its teammates to pressure and wear down their checks. Spinblockers such as Misdreavus and Dusknoir help with keeping entry hazards on the field; the former can also Taunt Defoggers such as Pelipper as well. Purugly pressures Defoggers such as Vibrava and Vullaby with the threat of Defiant. Stealth Rock from Piloswine and Probopass deal further chip damage and work well with the Spikes support that Venipede provides. Strong wallbreakers, such as Stoutland and Simipour, appreciate Venipede's Spikes and allows them to break through their threats more easily. Late-game sweepers such as Fraxure and Arbok are great as they can set up easily when the opponent's team is weakened.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, Venipede has a shallow movepool and cannot do much besides performing as a suicide Spikes lead. Toxic threatens hazard removers such as Pelipper as well as allowing Venipede to get past Misdreavus, but Venipede lacks the moveslot for it. Infestation helps Venipede to rack up damage and also works well with Endeavor, but it doesn't have the moveslot for it and is quite weak.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority Users**: Priority users such as Basculin and Purugly can prevent Venipede from using Endeavor thanks to Aqua Jet and Fake Out can't Venipede Protect the Fake Out the first turn though, respectively, and only allow it to set up a single layer of Spikes.

**Setup Sweepers**: Venipede has trouble getting past setup sweepers such as Substitute + Nasty Plot Ninetales and Shift Gear Klang as it relies on Endeavor to deal damage. The former can use Energy Ball and block Endeavor with Substitute and the latter is able to freely set up Shift Gear and doesn't mind Endeavor thanks to Gear Grind, though it Klang requires multiple boosts to get past it.

**Hazard Removers**: Hazard removers such as Pelipper and Vibrava are immune to Venipede's Spikes and Toxic Spikes and can choose to remove them thanks to Defog.

**Multi-Hit move users**: Rock-types such as Golem and Armaldo are able to break through Venipede's Focus Sash thanks to Rock Blast without having to worry about Endeavor. Marowak can also break through Venipede's Focus Sash with Bonemerang.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Grumpig and Misdreavus limit Venipede to only one layer of Spikes; the latter is also immune to Endeavor.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Unun: add remove comments
TDP: add (Capitalize / Fix) remove (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Venipede has a niche as a great suicide Spikes lead in the PU metagame thanks to the combination of Speed Boost + and Endeavor. Because of the lack of reliable entry hazard removers, the Spikes and Toxic Spikes support that Venipede provides is invaluable. Venipede's niche over Whirlipede is that it is able to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu, Simipour, and Kadabra at +1 yo this isnt really gp-esque but it might be worth stating why outspeeding these pokemon is important. (it's totally gp-esque unun, we're supposed to make a text readable and pointing out that relevant information might be missing definitely falls under that umbrella) However, Venipede is one dimensional and predictable, as it can only perform the role of a suicide lead, (comma) Also, Venipede and it relies on doing damage with Endeavor to do damage, which is not very reliable. In addition, Venipede also has a bad matchup against common leads such as Golem, which has Rock Blast to break its Focus Sash,. and Finally, Venipede (original flows better, this is too chunky/spoonfeedy) cannot do much to Defoggers such as Pelipper and Swanna and Rapid Spinners spinners such as Armaldo.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The combination of Spikes and Toxic Spikes helps with wearing down Venipede's foes the opponent's Pokemon foe means the other Pokemon on the field, but Venipede isn't really the one dealing with them, so I feel like this makes a bit more sense, (ya) making them easier to deal with. Protect allows Venipede to get an extra Speed boost so that it is able to outspeed threats such as Taunt Grumpig and set up at least one layer of Spikes against them. Protect also allows Venipede to set up at least two layers of Spikes, or one layer of Spikes and Endeavor if it is not faced with a Taunt Pokemon. Endeavor allows Venipede to lower the for foe's HP down to 1 HP one (no comma) and works well in tandem with a Focus Sash.

Set Details (same)
========

The EVs in Speed and a Naive nature allows allow Venipede to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu and Grumpig at +1. 0 Zero IVs for in HP, Defense, and Special Defense make it easier for Venipede to be knocked down to its Focus Sash. Speed Boost helps to guarantee at least a layer of Spikes and a layer of Toxic Spikes, or a layer of Spikes and the ability to weaken foes with Endeavor. Focus Sash allows Venipede to live survive at least one hit and works well with Endeavor.

Usage Tips
========

Venipede should be used as a lead most of the time so that its Focus Sash can stay in tact, but it should not be sent in on multi-hit move users such as Golem, setup sweepers such as Klang also a multi-hit move user lol, or entry hazard removers such as Pelipper, as they can take advantage of it. Use Protect if you are Venipede is faced with an opponent foe you it cannot outspeed, such as Raichu; this also allows Venipede to set up at least one layer of Spikes on faster (I guess? fail to see the point of Protect otherwise) Taunt users such as Grumpig. Don't set up Toxic Spikes if there is a Poison-type such as Roselia on the opposing team, as they will remove them. When Venipede is knocked down to its Focus Sash, Endeavor should be used to weaken its foe, but you must be wary of Pokemon that carry priority moves, such as Piloswine.

Team Options
========

Venipede fits on hyper offensive teams, (AC) as it allows them its teammates to pressure and wear down their checks. Spinblockers such as Misdreavus and Dusknoir help with keeping entry hazards on the field; the former can also Taunt Defoggers such as Pelipper as well. Purugly pressures Defoggers such as Vibrava and Vullaby with the threat of Defiant. Stealth Rock from Piloswine and Probopass deals further chip damage and works well with the Spikes support that Venipede provides. Strong wallbreakers, such as Stoutland and Simipour, appreciate Venipede's Spikes, (AC) and allows which allow them to break through their threats more easily. Late-game sweepers such as Fraxure and Arbok are great, (AC) as they can set up easily when the opponent's team is weakened.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, Venipede has a shallow movepool and cannot do much besides performing as a suicide Spikes lead. Toxic threatens entry hazard removers such as Pelipper as well as allowing Venipede to get past Misdreavus, but Venipede lacks the moveslot for it. Infestation helps Venipede to rack up damage and also works well with Endeavor, but it Venipede doesn't have the moveslot for it and it is quite weak.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority Users**: Priority users such as Basculin and Purugly can prevent Venipede from using Endeavor thanks to Aqua Jet and Fake Out can't Venipede Protect the Fake Out the first turn though, respectively, and only allow it to set up a single layer of Spikes.

**Setup Sweepers**: Venipede has trouble getting past setup sweepers such as Substitute + Nasty Plot Ninetales and Shift Gear Klang, (AC) as it relies on Endeavor to deal damage. The former can use Energy Ball and block Endeavor with Substitute, (AC) and the latter is able to freely set up Shift Gear and doesn't mind Endeavor thanks to Gear Grind, though it Klang (<- keep this "it") requires multiple boosts to get past it (<- and make this one "Venipede". Clarification was needed, but it flows much better with this one changed).

**Entry Hazard Removers**: Entry Hazard removers such as Pelipper and Vibrava are immune to Venipede's Spikes and Toxic Spikes and can choose to remove them thanks to with Defog.

**Multi-hit Move Users**: Rock-types such as Golem and Armaldo are able to break through Venipede's Focus Sash thanks to Rock Blast without having to worry about Endeavor. Marowak can also break through Venipede's Focus Sash with Bonemerang.

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Add
Remove
(Comments)

amcheck
[OVERVIEW]

Venipede has a niche as a great suicide Spikes lead in the PU metagame thanks to the combination of Speed Boost + and Endeavor. Because of the lack of reliable entry hazard removers, the Spikes and Toxic Spikes support that Venipede provides is invaluable. Venipede's Venipede has a niche over Whirlipede is that because (Flows better) it is able to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu, Simipour, and Kadabra at +1, allowing it to set up at least two layer layers of Spikes or use Endeavor. However, Venipede is one dimensional and predictable, as it can only perform the role of a suicide lead, and it relies on Endeavor to do deal damage, which is not very reliable. In addition, Venipede also has a bad matchup against common leads such as Golem, which has Rock Blast to break its Focus Sash, and cannot do much to against (subjective) Defoggers such as Pelipper and Swanna and spinners such as Armaldo.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The combination of Spikes and Toxic Spikes helps with wearing down the opponent's Pokemon, making them easier to deal with. Protect allows Venipede to get an extra Speed boost so that it is able to outspeed can outpace ("Speed boost...outspeed" sounds repetitive) threats such as Taunt Grumpig and set up at least one layer of Spikes against them. Protect also allows Venipede to set up at least two layers of Spikes, or one layer of Spikes and use Endeavor if it is not faced with a Taunt Pokemon. Endeavor allows Venipede to lower the foe's HP down to one and works well in tandem with a Focus Sash.

Set Details
========

The EVs in Speed and a Naive nature allow Venipede to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu and Grumpig at +1. Zero IVs in HP, Defense, and Special Defense make it easier for Venipede to be knocked down to its Focus Sash. Speed Boost helps to guarantee at least a layer of Spikes and a layer of Toxic Spikes, or a layer of Spikes and the ability to weaken foes with Endeavor. Focus Sash allows Venipede to survive at least one hit and works well with Endeavor.

Usage Tips
========

Venipede should be used as a lead most of the time so that its Focus Sash can stay in tact, but it should not be sent in on multi-hit move users such as Golem, setup sweepers such as Ninetales, or entry hazard removers such as Pelipper, as they can take advantage of it. Use Protect if Venipede is faced with a foe it cannot outspeed, such as Raichu; this also allows Venipede to set up at least one layer of Spikes on faster Taunt users such as Grumpig. Don't set up Toxic Spikes if there is a Poison-type such as Roselia on the opposing team, as they will remove them Toxic Spikes ("they" and "them" were both referring to the Poison-types). When Venipede is knocked down to its Focus Sash, Endeavor should be used to weaken its foe, but you must be wary of Pokemon that carry priority moves, such as Basculin.

Team Options
========

Venipede fits well (makes the sentence more descriptive) on hyper offensive offense teams, as it allows its teammates to pressure and wear down their checks. Spinblockers such as Misdreavus and Dusknoir help with keeping entry hazards on the field; the former can also Taunt Defoggers such as Pelipper. Purugly pressures Defoggers such as Vibrava and Vullaby with the threat of Defiant. Stealth Rock from Piloswine and Probopass deals further chip damage and works well with the Spikes support that Venipede provides. Strong wallbreakers, such as Stoutland and Simipour, appreciate Venipede's Spikes, which allow them to break through their threats more easily. Late-game sweepers such as Fraxure and Arbok are great, as they can set up easily when the opponent's team is weakened.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, Venipede has a shallow movepool and cannot do much besides performing as a suicide Spikes lead. Toxic threatens entry hazard removers such as Pelipper as well as allowing Venipede to get past Misdreavus, but Venipede lacks the moveslot for it. Infestation helps Venipede to rack up damage and works well with Endeavor, but Venipede doesn't have the moveslot for it and it is quite weak.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority Users**: Priority users such as Basculin and Dusknoir allow Venipede to only set up a single layer of Spikes thanks due to Aqua Jet and Shadow Sneak, respectively; the latter is also immune to Endeavor.

**Setup Sweepers**: Venipede has trouble getting past setup sweepers such as Substitute + Nasty Plot Ninetales and Shift Gear Klang, as it relies on Endeavor to deal damage. The former can use Energy Ball and block Endeavor with Substitute, and the latter is able to freely set up Shift Gear and doesn't mind Endeavor thanks due to Gear Grind, though it requires multiple boosts to get past Veniped" Venipede.

**Entry Hazard Removers**: Entry hazard removers such as Pelipper and Vibrava are immune to Venipede's Spikes and Toxic Spikes and can remove them with Defog.

**Multi-hit Multi-Hit Move Users**: Rock-types such as Golem and Armaldo are able to break through Venipede's Focus Sash thanks due to Rock Blast without having to worry about Endeavor. Marowak can also break through Venipede's Focus Sash with Bonemerang.

P Squared Snobalt :D

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rhythms add
Rhythms remove
(Rhythms comments)

Snobalt add
Snobalt remove
(Snobalt comments)
[OVERVIEW]

Venipede has a niche as a great suicide Spikes lead in the PU metagame thanks to the combination of Speed Boost + and Endeavor. Because of the lack of reliable entry hazard removers, the Spikes and Toxic Spikes support that Venipede provides is invaluable. Venipede's Venipede has a niche over Whirlipede is that because (Flows better) it is able to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu, Simipour, and Kadabra at +1, allowing it to set up at least two layer layers of Spikes or use Endeavor. However, Venipede is one dimensional (I want to hyphenate this so badly, but it's not supposed to be...) and predictable, as it can only perform the role of a suicide lead, and it relies on Endeavor to do deal damage, which is not very reliable. In addition, Venipede also has a bad matchup against common leads such as Golem, which has Rock Blast to break its Focus Sash, and cannot do much to against (subjective) Defoggers such as Pelipper and Swanna and spinners such as Armaldo.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The combination of Spikes and Toxic Spikes helps with wearing down the opponent's Pokemon, making them easier to deal with. Protect allows Venipede to get an extra Speed boost so that it is able to outspeed can outpace ("Speed boost...outspeed" sounds repetitive) threats such as Taunt Grumpig and set up at least one layer of Spikes against them. Protect also allows Venipede to set up at least (not really necessary considering what follows) two layers of Spikes, or one layer of Spikes and then use Endeavor, provided that if (changed b/c both scenarios sound like they apply to foes without Taunt) it is not faced with a Taunt Pokemon user. Endeavor allows Venipede to lower the foe's HP down to one and works well in tandem with a Focus Sash.

Set Details
========

The EVs in Speed EVs and a Naive nature allow Venipede to outspeed Pokemon such as Raichu and Grumpig at +1. Zero IVs in HP, Defense, and Special Defense make it easier for Venipede to be knocked down to its Focus Sash. Speed Boost helps to guarantee at least a layer of Spikes and a layer of Toxic Spikes, or a layer of Spikes and the ability to weaken foes with Endeavor. Focus Sash allows Venipede to survive at least one hit and works well with Endeavor.

Usage Tips
========

Venipede should be used as a lead most of the time so that its Focus Sash can stay in(remove space)tact, but it should not be sent in on multi-hit move users such as Golem, setup sweepers such as Ninetales, or entry hazard removers such as Pelipper, as they can take advantage of it. Use Protect if Venipede is faced with a foe it cannot outspeed, such as Raichu; this also allows Venipede to set up at least one layer of Spikes on faster Taunt users such as Grumpig. Don't set up Toxic Spikes if there is a Poison-type such as Roselia on the opposing team, as they will can remove them the Toxic Spikes by switching in ("they" and "them" were both referring to the Poison-types). When Venipede is knocked down to its Focus Sash, Endeavor should be used to weaken its foe, but you must be wary of Pokemon that carry priority moves, such as Basculin.

Team Options
========

Venipede fits well (makes the sentence more descriptive) on hyper offensive offense teams, as it allows its teammates to pressure and wear down their checks. Spinblockers such as Misdreavus and Dusknoir help with keeping entry hazards on the field; the former can also Taunt Defoggers such as Pelipper. Purugly pressures Defoggers such as Vibrava and Vullaby with the threat of Defiant. Stealth Rock from Piloswine and Probopass deals further chip damage and works well with the Spikes support that Venipede provides. Strong wallbreakers, such as Stoutland and Simipour, appreciate Venipede's Spikes support, which allows them to break through their threats more easily. Late-game sweepers such as Fraxure and Arbok are great, as they can set up easily when the opponent's team is weakened.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, Venipede has a shallow movepool and cannot do much besides performing as a suicide Spikes lead. (fluff) Toxic threatens entry hazard removers such as Pelipper as well as allowing and allows Venipede to get past Misdreavus, but Venipede lacks the moveslot for it. Infestation helps Venipede to rack up damage and works well with Endeavor, but Venipede doesn't have the moveslot for it and it is quite weak.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority Users**: Priority users such as Basculin and Dusknoir allow Venipede to only set up a single layer of Spikes thanks due to Aqua Jet and Shadow Sneak, respectively; the latter is also immune to Endeavor.

**Setup Sweepers**: Venipede has trouble getting past setup sweepers such as Substitute + Nasty Plot Ninetales and Shift Gear Klang, as it relies on Endeavor to deal damage. The former can use Energy Ball and block Endeavor with Substitute, and the latter is able to freely set up Shift Gear and doesn't mind Endeavor thanks due to Gear Grind, though it requires multiple boosts to get past Veniped" Venipede.

**Multi-hit Multi-Hit Move Users**: Rock-types such as Golem and Armaldo are able to break through Venipede's Focus Sash thanks due to Rock Blast without having to worry about Endeavor. Marowak can also break through Venipede's Focus Sash with Bonemerang.

Nice work Rhythms. Stamped.
GP 2/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)