Ask the Admins (They're currently busy answering your questions!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have you ever wanted to know what being admin is like? Now's your chance.

tennisace, Oglemi and Joim have all volunteered to answer some of your questions about being an admin, what they do, what they enjoy about it, opinions on Smogon, etc. Feel free to aim them at a specific person as well too! This'll be posted on Facebook soon, so due to the volume of questions asked your question may not be answered, but it'll definitely be considered. Don't worry about asking silly questions, because it might actually be answered. The answers will be in an upcoming release, so keep an eye out.

If you want to see an example of a previous version ask the admins, have a lookie here: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue8/ask_admins

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Tennisace: idk much about you except krau was complaing about you johning him regarding the uberscast, counter this blatant lie

Oglemi: You're prolly in top 3 of most important users, has it affected you irl? (Like are you authorative irl as well, always leading and taking charge?)
this might be a very similar one: Were you a leader already, and this reflected on smogon as well, or was it vice versa i.e. you became leader here and this reflected irl?

Joim: i would've asked some coding related q, asking for some help or something, but then decided against. Instead, my q is: Are you what many would call a nerd coder? Do you consider yourself one? How much weed do you smoke to come up with ideas for the monthly OM? And what happened to SkillMons?

ps: skylight, should i make these more formal looking and orderly?

Who is in charge of the website redesign?

Will we ever get out of web design?

Can we have an option to put a banner on the white part surrounding the names of the threads?
upload_2015-10-2_13-28-29.png

Could we also maybe have an option to automatically play music when I click a thread and an option to personally disable this? (Im mostly thinking in an RMT)

Does anyone get paid around here or is all this volunteer work?

For all: what is the funniest thread you've had to delete?
Joim: is Super Staff Bros. going to ever come back?
Oglemi: when will you have the mosts posts on this site?
Oglemi and tennisace: do you guys care about OM at all?

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
How much time usually goes into your duties as admin? And what motivates you to keep contributing to this website so consistently despite the not always thankful reception?

Last edited:
How do you describe your work style?
Name a person in your life who really made a difference.
If you were picking a person to have a staff position, what qualities would you look for?
Favorite meme/joke?

For tennisace: I've heard you are a civil engineering student, have you ever been a part of a project and/or on the field?

Last edited:
Do you get paid?
Is it possible to go from reg user to adim level if you have a certain skill that is needed?
Can you get a custom avator on showdown whenever you feel like getting one?

truedrew

Banned deucer.
What are your most pressing concerns about PS! as of now?
Will you ever reveal all the easter eggs on PS! to non-coders?
What inspired you to dedicate so much IRL time and effort to a pokemon server?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK, here's one: once you got semi-involved with the community and started contributing, where did you see yourselves ending up? I can't imagine anybody thought they'd become admins and or lead huge sections of the site!

What are some of the differences between Super Moderators and Administrators? Even to me they all fall under the blanket term "senior staff" and I'm assuming there must be some differences.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
What are some of the differences between Super Moderators and Administrators? Even to me they all fall under the blanket term "senior staff" and I'm assuming there must be some differences.
Oglemi answered this quite recently in another thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-simple-questions.3523420/page-59#post-6454148

Do you ever feel like you don't want the pressure of leading the site and would rather just be another contributor than the guys everyone looks to?

Is it ever a hassle trying to balance real life and Pokemon when I assume many many ppl are always trying to contact you and you always have stuff to do?

What's more frustating? Multiple request for simple stuff people should be able to do themselves (for example people posting on your wall for name changes or PS name unlocks) or should be asking somewhere else or individual requests that require a ton of effort(overhauling stuff, etc.)

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
what do you do besides smogon?
how does being an admin affect your irl?
any particular hobbies?
favourite type of music?

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What were you doing during your first year or so on Smogon, and what back then do you think played a major role to get to where you are today?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you were to retire today, do you think anyone currently would be fit to replace you? Not just as an admin, but also considering your other responsibilities (social media, C&C leader, programming, w/e)

You've all been here for a while; in what ways is "today's" Smogon different from how it was before?

Contribution or achievement you're most proud of?
Decisions you've made here that you regret?

Any users you looked up to when you were a new user?

Last edited:

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks guys! That's more than enough questions, imma lock this one up and get our admins to answer them asap, stay tuned!

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
It won't be tagged but I can pm the article link to everyone that did :) also was supposed to close this... mod tools lied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)