[Online Competition] ~Spooky~ Cup (Halloween 2015)

I like Pikachu for the Fake Out, Knock Off combo. As well as access to Encore and Feint. Which with Ghost types Fake Out is predictable on who you will be using it on, but then just surprise them with the Knock Off.

I would like to plan something around Murkrow for that Prankster Tailwind.

Does anyone have a tip for Ariados and Galvantula? Would it be even good to have them both in the team? I imagined that
I'll use them as leads. But I have no idea and I please need a little help.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Does anyone have a tip for Ariados and Galvantula? Would it be even good to have them both in the team? I imagined that
I'll use them as leads. But I have no idea and I please need a little help.
If you're thinking about a Sticky Web user I wouldn't recommend the move because switching doesn't happen as often in doubles (although switching is still an important skill). Tailwind and Electroweb would be better forms of speed control. Galvantula could still be used for its ability to outspeed and kill Hydreigon with Bug Buzz and as a fast special attacker in general. I would't use Ariados because it is really slow and frail. Scolipede would be a superior offensive bug. I wouldn't really use two bugs on a team in general though.

What do we like for a defensive cleric type? I've gone over the list a bunch of times and nothing is jumping out at me...

I don't think I've beaten a team with marowak on it yet. I don't have a good record against sableye either. Too much of my team is weak to rock slide and hax. How are people dealing with those two?

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I may play in this cause at least I have some of the mons here screw you Pikachu Cup. I was really hoping they would do an International challenge but I guess it is kind of early (as I had a pretty bad team at the time of the one in June). Also if you are born in 2000 will you play for Masters?

I actually have an insanely good record with rain so far. Out of 17 battles, I've won 15. Aegislash is sorta a problem if it gets up Substitute before I can get my rain sweep going. Opposing rain matchups are really weird, because you have to guess if your opponent will bring Liepard and Kabutops.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
You know what seems like a gimmick, but is surprisingly good?

Scarf Basculin using Soak on Shedinja. Very few Pokemon carry Grass or Electric attacks and there's no Sandstorm/Hail going on. Meowstic with Safeguard helps prevent status while Sheddy sets up with Hone Claws (can't use Swords Dance) and sweeps.

Example: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/spookycup-278661520

Last edited:

Scarf Basculin using Soak on Shedinja. Very few Pokemon carry Grass or Electric attacks and there's no Sandstorm/Hail going on. Meowstic with Safeguard helps prevent status while Sheddy sets up with Hone Claws (can't use Swords Dance) and sweeps.

Your opponent couldve easily taunted first turn :p But yeah that strat will definitely run through teams that arent prepared. Just have to watch out for prankster taunt, fake out, faster scarfers, and mold breaker. And not every team is gonna have one of those im sure.

I'm actually using a very similar strategy, just without a choice scarf, since basculin becomes useless once it is locked into soak. Yeah, occasionally Basculin gets OHKO'd before it can soak, but that usually requires a crit, but Basculin is pretty fast and I wouldn't even be using it if my opponent had a grass or electric type pokemon with it. Obviously, it isn't an all-out competitive strategy, but more of a fun thing to use in this competition because I definitely won't be top 10 in this one.

Last edited:
I faced a Soak Basculin/Shedinja team twice and I put Shedinja out before Basculin Soaked it. First round I used Fake Out on Basculin.

I did double targeted Shedinja one time because it usually carries sash. I also have a Pikachu on my team. :)

I did not do well with my Rain team. Kabutops gets hit hard and every team I faced had something with Thunderbolt.

Has anyone tried out getting Simple Volcarona online? You could either use Skill Swap Swoobat or Simple Beam.
I faced a Soak Basculin/Shedinja team twice and I put Shedinja out before Basculin Soaked it. First round I used Fake Out on Basculin.

I did double targeted Shedinja one time because it usually carries sash. I also have a Pikachu on my team. :)

I did not do well with my Rain team. Kabutops gets hit hard and every team I faced had something with Thunderbolt.
With the abundance of Electric-type moves, it'll be pretty hard to get Kabutops rain going. I've been experimenting with it myself, and Rotom forms are everywhere lately, so there are a lot of counters to it.

I don't think I've beaten a team with marowak on it yet. I don't have a good record against sableye either. Too much of my team is weak to rock slide and hax. How are people dealing with those two?
Maybe Wide Guard?

I don't see it as a tutor move though, so it looks like the only two pokes that can use it is Aegislash and Parasect via chain breeding.

So much bullshit in this meta, with rock slide and low accuracy moves everywhere. But still a cool metagame, with lots of tricks :) Really liking Rotom-Wash.

I don't think I've beaten a team with marowak on it yet. I don't have a good record against sableye either.
Both those pokemon are very slow - Volcarona, Hydreigon, Jellicent, Rotom wash etc kills them, while being unnafected by their sableye's will-o-wisp. Crobat helps vs sableye for quick guard support, while (lum?) granbull is good with its STAB and intimidate. Just some random examples
Too much of my team is weak to rock slide and hax. How are people dealing with those two?
Have you tried prayer? :) On a general note, outspeeding is one of the best ways to control hax. That, and using high-acc moves. Not so much more can be done... but trust me, you're not alone about this lol

Last edited:
What is a common set moody glalie runs in this types of competitions? Sub+protect and 2 ice attacks?

What is a common set moody glalie runs in this types of competitions? Sub+protect and 2 ice attacks?
People dont really use glalie in doubles cause its easier to deal with, but yeah you'd use sub protect with sheer cold and frost breath

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
The ev spread is usually timid with max speed and hp to get subs up as fast as possible with the moves NOVED said, however this type of Glalie is more commonly seen in Singles.

Hydreigon has 105 Atk and Rock Slide, just putting that out there.
That said, Hydreigon, Volcarona, and Krookodile look like the non-TR offensive demons of the tourney; Mawile does get Sheer Force + LO boosted STABs so don't count it out completely.
Granbull is similar to Mawile; mostly trades Steel typing for utterly amazing coverage.
Soak + Shedinja. Well damn, time to actually bother with a Grass / Electric move.

Someone can correct me or make this list look pretty. Just those 100 or higher as a start.
*added more because i got bored*
130 - crobat
125 - weavile
123 - noivern
114 - swoobat
112 - scolipede
110 - gengar, frosslass
108 - galvantula
106 - liepard
105 - mismagius, zoroark
104 - meowstic
100 - volcarona
98 - basculin, hydreigon
97 - raticate
95 - gliscor, houndoom, sharpedo, drapion
92 - krookodile
91 - murkrow
90 - pikachu, mr. mime
86 - rotom forms
85 - toxicroak
84 - skuntank
80 - arbok, kabutops, glalie, drifblim, chandelure
73 - malamar
68 - exploud
65 - umbreon, gothitelle
60 - weezing, jellicent, aegislash
55 - golurk
50 - muk, tangrowth, sableye, mawile
45 - marowak, granbull
40 - shedinja
35 - spiritomb
30 - parasect, cofagrigus
25 - dusclops

Last edited:
Anyone else think Gengar won't be as big as a factor as first thought? I've been running him on my test team and he's gotten torched and I've been hammering them as well.

Looks like the meta game is getting their revenge now that they know he can't hold his Gengarite >_<.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anyone else think Gengar won't be as big as a factor as first thought? I've been running him on my test team and he's gotten torched and I've been hammering them as well.

Looks like the meta game is getting their revenge now that they know he can't hold his Gengarite >_<.
Well considering there are so many Dark-types, and his STABs don't hit anything meaningful I don't think he's that good at all.. Also, he isn't a top 12 mon in Battle Spot Doubles, and his most common item there is Gengarite, so since he can't even use that his effectiveness is lowered even further.

I think the only reason you'd want to use him is with a Protect + Disable set, at least that would stuff up a bunch of Dark-types from locking out their STAB (especially Specs Hydra!). He can also use Taunt to stop Trick Roomers, leaving Sludge Bomb for offense (or Icy Wind if you want more tech).

----

Speaking of no megas in this, I totally forgot about that while theorymoning a bunch of stuff for this and got excited at the idea of Mega Glalie. If only that thing was allowed, there aren't many Ice resists in this, so a well-timed Explosion would do some serious damage! If it weren't for all the Rock Slide going around I might have tried to make Moody work..

Well considering there are so many Dark-types, and his STABs don't hit anything meaningful I don't think he's that good at all.. Also, he isn't a top 12 mon in Battle Spot Doubles, and his most common item there is Gengarite, so since he can't even use that his effectiveness is lowered even further.

I think the only reason you'd want to use him is with a Protect + Disable set, at least that would stuff up a bunch of Dark-types from locking out their STAB (especially Specs Hydra!). He can also use Taunt to stop Trick Roomers, leaving Sludge Bomb for offense (or Icy Wind if you want more tech).

----

Speaking of no megas in this, I totally forgot about that while theorymoning a bunch of stuff for this and got excited at the idea of Mega Glalie. If only that thing was allowed, there aren't many Ice resists in this, so a well-timed Explosion would do some serious damage! If it weren't for all the Rock Slide going around I might have tried to make Moody work..
Froslass does Protect+Disable with the same Speed, and STAB Ice Beam to hit Hydreigon / Krookodile / Gliscor / Noivern / Crobat. She also has Taunt and Icy Wind.
So no, no point to Gengar unless you really want to try PerishTrap with Gengar+Gothitelle in a meta teeming with Dark types.

edit: plus Cursed Body just auto disables everything anyway so you can just save a moveslot and not even run Disable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)