ORAS OU Mega-Metagross Offensive Team

So here's my first competitive battling team in OU. I think I've hammered out all the major flaws, but any critique is welcome, no matter how big. I should note this is more of an offensively inclined team. You can suggest pokemon switches but please not more than one or two. I would really prefer to keep Metagross, Talonflame, and Gliscor.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

Here's the mega of the team. I like Metagross because it hits hard and hits fast. Unless I'm in immediatedanger of being hit super-effectively I'll start with Power-Up Punch. Especially when forcing a switch, Power-Up Punch reliably boost attack to make Metagross a very powerful sweeper. Earthquake is really great coverage, and with Metagross' high attack it can put a serious dent in the opposing pokemon. Meteor Mash gets STAB and also provides coverage against Fairies. Just the threat of this often forces a switch which can be used with Power-Up Punch. Ice Punch is another coverage move, lots of flying types switch into Metagross expecting an Earthquake, but if you can predict this switch then Ice Punch is a nice surprise for them.

Kyurem-Black @ Power Herb
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Shadow Claw
- Freeze Shock

Most people expect a mixed Black Kyurem so this surprises people. I have mixed feelings about it because of its mediocre speed, but its movepool and high damage make up for it. Fusion Bolt is an obvious choice because of its water and flying type coverage and high accuracy. Dragon Claw is STAB and gives reliable neutral coverage on nearly every type. Shadow Claw provides coverage for Ghost and Psychic, and is necessary to have neutral coverage on Magnezone. Freeze Shock is the big surprise on this set, as nobody really expects it on turn one. Maybe planning on enduring a much weaker Ice Beam then OHKOing me, Power Herb Freeze Shock always surprises them. This set has neutral or better coverage on every type.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

I'm mainly using Gliscor as a wallbreaker, but if given the chance to set up it can sweep rather effectively. Toxic Orb/Poison Heal gives a reliable passive recovery and prevents major statuses. Roost is a solid recovery move that keeps Gliscor in the game longer. Knock off deals decent damage but its more important feature is that it discards items. This is very useful in wallbreaking because it can get rid of a staller's leftovers. In addition, it hits pokemon that are immune to Earthquake. Earthquake is Gliscor's main attack, it has STAB and high accuracy. Swords Dance allows Gliscor to set up and potentially sweep once killing the staller.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Talonflame is a great revenge killer because Brave Bird gets priority. In addidtion, it is my main check against fighting type. Flare Blitz is great coverage for many of the types Brave Bird doesn't hit very Hard. Roost also gets priority which means if I know I can withstand an attack then I get a reliable recovery which prolongs the number of Brave Birds or Flare Blitzs I can use. If I get a Swords Dance in the Talonflame is pretty much set up to sweep most of a team.

Serperior @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

This is mainly a late game sweeper for once its OHKO threats are gone. With contrary as its ability Leaf Storm doubles its special attack making it hard to stop once it has some momentum going. With the choice scarf 95% of the time I'll need to use leaf storm as that's the only way to get its mediocre special attack boosted.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Icicle Crash

Weavile is pretty self explanatory. It's faster than the majority of the unboosted metagame so it can often hit hard first. Swords Dance is great if I can get it in, but Weaville does just fine if it's too risky to boost. Knock Off is STAB and also discards the opponent's items. Icicle Crash is Weavile's other main attack. It gets STAB and hits hard reliably. Poison Jab is great coverage for fairy types that will often switch into Weavile expecting an easy KO.

Last edited:
Hi! The team looks like an HO (Hyper Offense) and this kind of teams have solid structures:

1#Suicide lead
2#Utility
3#Wallbreaker
4#Wallbreaker
5#Revenge Killer
6#Late Game Sweeper

I think you messed up a bit, because Gliscor is a STALLBREAKER, not wallbreaker

Can you tell me their roles, please?

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you tell me their roles, please?

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask something!
Thanks for explaining about HO teams, I didn't know about the specific roles.

Metagross is the suicide lead.
I thought gliscor was a wallbreaker but I see now it's just a stallbreaker.
Talonflame is the revenge killer.
Weaville and Serperior are both sweepers.
I'm not really sure what role Kyerum would take on the team. A big plus I've realized is it can take an unboosted flare blitz from talonflame and return with a OHKO fusion bolt.

Thanks for explaining about HO teams, I didn't know about the specific roles.

Metagross is the suicide lead.
I thought gliscor was a wallbreaker but I see now it's just a stallbreaker.
Talonflame is the revenge killer.
Weaville and Serperior are both sweepers.
I'm not really sure what role Kyerum would take on the team. A big plus I've realized is it can take an unboosted flare blitz from talonflame and return with a OHKO fusion bolt.
Well I will explain: 1st: Metagross is better as late game sweeper because you are wasting potential if is just a suicide lead, suicide leads are to prevent foe's hazards and set their own( good suicide leads are Aerodactyl and Frosslass)

2nd: Utility are mons to support, and you will need one to remove Stealth Rock beacause Talonflame will lose half of its helth just by entering, entry hazards are removed with rapid spin or defog(For HO is better rapid spin because you can keep pressure on the foe, the best spinner is Starmie)

I will keep explaining:

3rd and 4rth: Wallbreakers are pokemon wirh high offensive power and the ability to OHKO or 2HKO some of the bulkiest mons, Gliscor is just a Stalbreaker because with poison heal is inmune to residual damage coming from things like M-Sableye( good wallbreakers are Choice Band Azumarril, Charizard-Y or Keldeo)

5th: Revenge Killers are to pick off weakened mons that you could not kill with other pokemon( Choice Band Talonflame is one of the Best)

Last: Late Game Sweepers are to clean what remains of the enemy team, is bad idea IMO to give Serperior a scarf beacause it need to swithc moves( good sweepers are M-Gyarados, Charizard-X, Volcarona, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I will explain: 1st: Metagross is better as late game sweeper because you are wasting potential if is just a suicide lead, suicide leads are to prevent foe's hazards and set their own( good suicide leads are Aerodactyl and Frosslass)

2nd: Utility are mons to support, and you will need one to remove Stealth Rock beacause Talonflame will lose half of its helth just by entering, entry hazards are removed with rapid spin or defog(For HO is better rapid spin because you can keep pressure on the foe, the best spinner is Starmie)
Thanks again for all the advice! I decided to drop Serperior as its usefulness is limited and I have multiple other sweepers. In its place I've added Starmie running rapid spin, ice beam, thunderbolt, and hydro pump. Is it important for it run any other utility moves than rapid spin?

I'm deciding between Jirachi and Aerodactyl as a lead. Jirachi would have iron head, stealth rock, trick, and U-Turn and hold choice scarf. Aerodactyl would have stealth rock, earthquake, taunt, and stone edge. Any opinion on which would be better suited for my team?

Aero is fine! But make sure it has a focus shash because is Frail.

For Starmie: Run a life orb with analytic and change thunderbolt for psyshock, that way you OHKO a Gengar on the swithc that tries to block rapid spin and 2HKO M-Venu on the switch also!

I will keep explaining:

3rd and 4rth: Wallbreakers are pokemon wirh high offensive power and the ability to OHKO or 2HKO some of the bulkiest mons, Gliscor is just a Stalbreaker because with poison heal is inmune to residual damage coming from things like M-Sableye( good wallbreakers are Choice Band Azumarril, Charizard-Y or Keldeo)

5th: Revenge Killers are to pick off weakened mons that you could not kill with other pokemon( Choice Band Talonflame is one of the Best)

Last: Late Game Sweepers are to clean what remains of the enemy team, is bad idea IMO to give Serperior a scarf beacause it need to swithc moves( good sweepers are M-Gyarados, Charizard-X, Volcarona, etc.)
I changed talonflames item to choice band which makes sense as a revenge killer because it will typically only use brave bird.

I agree, Metagross is a good late game sweeper, I'll keep it and use it for that role.

As for wall breakers I like the idea of azumarill because I don't really have any fairy Pokemon on my team.

Azu is perfect for Metagross because with a choice band she SMASHES Hippowdown with Waterfall and M-Sableye with Play Rough, both of them wall Metagross

Kyurem-B is also a wallbreaker and destroys Skarmory, so keep it!

Awesome, I really appreciate all the help!

So the final cut looks like this:
Suicide Lead: Aerodactyl
Revenge Killer: Talonflame
Wallbreaker: Kyerum-B
Wallbreaker: Azumarril
Utility: Starmie
Late Game Sweeper: Mega-Metagross

Awesome, I really appreciate all the help!

So the final cut looks like this:
Suicide Lead: Aerodactyl
Revenge Killer: Talonflame
Wallbreaker: Kyerum-B
Wallbreaker: Azumarril
Utility: Starmie
Late Game Sweeper: Mega-Metagross
Seems solid, if you have trouble with a specific thing, just send a PM to me!

Glad I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)