ORAS OU Rate My Sand Sweepers!

Hi everyone I have had a lot of success using this team so I really wanted to share it and see what other people thought about it and any helpful tips or changes I should try. From the get go I decided that I was going to use Tyranitar for sand stream and utility. The next obvious choices I saw were to use sand rush excadrill as a revenge killer and Mega garchomp as a wallbreaker/sweeper. The rest of the team I experimented with and came up with. Rotom-Wash as a special tank/ status spreader, Ferrothorn as a wall, and finally Togekiss as a surprise special sweeper and to try and deal with fighting types which was the only real weakness in the team I came across particularly Conkeldurr and Mega Lopunny. This weakness was why I added Togekiss as with some clever switching and predictions I can usually still come out with a win.

#1 Tyranitar
upload_2015-10-5_22-44-9.png

Item@ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 252 Hp / 4 Atk
Nature: Relaxed
Moves:
-Stone Edge
-Payback
-Dragon Tail
-Stealth Rock

The first Mon and one of the most important one is Tyranitar. This is a bulky utility set to set up sand stream and stealth rocks while packing two stab attacks so he can still dish out some damage. I also added dragon tail to phase out boosters and rack up stealth rocks damage. I use a smooth rock over leftovers because the extra recovery never seems to add much to my Tyranitar's bulk and the extra turns of sand can be the difference between a win and a loss.

#2 Excadrill
upload_2015-10-5_22-44-36.png

Item: Air Balloon
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin

My second choice was Excadrill since under sand it can act as a very powerful revenge killer in addition to providing relief from entry hazards via rapid spin. I use air balloon over life orb because in my opinion the recoil makes using rapid spin very costly. Plus air balloon effectively negates spikes damage as well as allowing the switch in on predicted ground type attacks.

#3 Mega Garchomp
upload_2015-10-5_22-45-2.png

Item@ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance

My next choice was Mega Garchomp. I picked Mega Garchomp for its sheer power while under the effect of sand stream without having to boost with swords dance. I still taught it swords dance so it could still be effective when not under the effects of sand stream and boost up to sweep when faster threats have been removed.

#4 Ferrothorn
upload_2015-10-5_22-45-25.png

Item@ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Evs: 252 Hp / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
Moves:
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Protect

My next Pokémon is Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn acts as a mixed wall since it can easily tank most physical and special attacks with ease particularly water and ice type attacks directed at Garchomp, Excadrill & Tyranitar. I use both power whip and gyro ball to deal heavy damage to water types and fast opponents (especially Dragon dance Altaria) since Tyranitar is already packing stealth rocks. Ferrothron is immune to sandstorm damage and can stall out most foes with the leech seed leftovers protect combo.

#5 Rotom-Wash
upload_2015-10-5_22-45-52.png

Item@ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Nature: Calm
Moves:
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

After adding Excadrill and Ferrothorn I needed a special tank that could easily tank fire type attacks so I chose Rotom-Wash. Rotom helps keep momentum, spreads status and provides coverage with its dual stab attacks. Pain Split for wearing down opponents and providing some form of recovery along side leftovers. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers and provides chip damage.

#6 Togekiss
upload_2015-10-5_22-46-9.png

Ability: Serene Grace
Evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Timid
Moves:
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Fire Blast
-Trick

The final pokemon I chose was Togekiss. With some good prediction Togekiss can switch in on fighting type attacks and either force the opponent out or surprise with a stab super effective attack. I have found this set particularly useful as my team lacks a special sweeper and many opponents mistakenly assume that this is a special wall. Air slash works in tandem with the choice scarf and serene grace to out speed and score flinches while fire blast ko's most predicted Ferrothorn and Scizor switch ins while dealing massive damage to Skarmory. I have dazzling gleam as an alternate stab choice and to ko unboosted dragon types. And finally trick to cripple the opponents walls by locking them into a single move.

Thanks for reading and I really appreciate any feedback on this team as I worked really hard building it and Making this post!

Just a quick now because I'm tired as hell and nobody is helping you.

Anyway

Your biggest problem will always be Zard-Y, it will shut down your sand and OHKO TTAR:

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 668-788 (165.3 - 195%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Rotom is 2HKOE'D and volt switch only deals 47 percent:

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 230-272 (75.6 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And if it drops Roost for Dragon pulse it can 2HKO Garchomp on the switch.

I might continue tomorrow with the rate.

Hi there! Now I've rested and can make a proper rate.

Like I said, you are very weak to Charizard-Y, so, in order to fix, I suggest you to change Garchomp for D-Dance Mega Altaria.

With Altaria's typing you have amazing sinergy with your team, capable to switch in fighting type moves aimed to TTAR, Fire moves aimed to Ferro and Drill and Grass moves aimed to Rotom-W, and giving you opportunities to set up beacuse of typing, something that you wouldnt with chomp because you give time to swithc an ice mon.

Also the team is very annoyed by burns, so I would replace Togekiss with Gastrodon, with storm drain you gain a free SPA boost by swithing into scald.

I will give you the sets later because I'm with my phone now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually don't have to much trouble with Zard-Y simply because I bait the Solarbeam with Rotom then switch into Tyranitar to Ko with stone edge (since he only takes 21.2- 25.2% from solar beam with sand up) but I know that is kinda risky at the best of times with the shoddy accuracy from Stone Edge and the possible focus blast that will still lead to at least a 2HKO. Also thanks for the feedback and I will try out your suggestions and see how well they work!

252+ Spa Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 Hp / 252 Def Tyranitar: 86-102 (21.2 - 25.2%) with sand up
252+ Spa Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 Hp/ 252 Def Tyranitar: 340-404 (84.1 - 100%) with sand up

I get your point but is too risky hmm Garchomp can still CHECK Zard-Y before it Mega evolves because Jolly Normal Garchomp outspeeds Timid Charizard, but I still think that M-Altaria could work better, because Excadrill can already deal with Heatran and you can change EQ on Altaria to D-Claw or even Outrage

Anyway, is your choice.

Ok thanks for the feedback and taking the time to try and help i'll try it out and see how well it works!

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, I have a few suggestions for that team.
It looks pretty weak to Keldeo, Charizard Y, Charizard X(defensive and offensive) and Mega Lopunny, which are all very common in OU
Overview:

>

• deals with Mega Lopunny, Talonflame and offensive Charizard X (the defensive one can burn you)
  • gets up Stealth Rocks and Sand too
  • if you want to phase, you can use Whirlwind
  • has recovery
(physical) >
(mixed)
  • your team gets more offensive variety
  • Draco Meteor hits Rotom and Landorus-T very hard, these are considered Sand-checks
  • Fire Blast hits Skamory, Ferrothorn and Scizor, the first two have to be removed/weakened so Excadrill can sweep successfully
>

• keeps Keldeo from getting kills every time it gets to attack, it 2hkos everything
  • decent check to Charizard Y
  • you can use Calm Mind if you want to break stall better
  • if you want Healing Wish support, you can use Latias
After changes:

L (Latios) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Rotom (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

I usually don't have many problems with either Zard as with Y since I can usually bait the solar beam with Rotom Wash plus when I see the other team has a Zard I set up rocks and wait until after it has been taken care of to mega evolve that way I can still force it out if I need too. As for Charizard X I think the defensive set with Willo-Wisp could be problematic but I have never encountered one yet as most sets tend to be more offensive or opt for a coverage move. Now other Zard X set I can switch in with tyranitar and avoid the 2 hit KO when at full health unless Zard is packing brick break which again I have never encountered. I can then force out with dragon tail or score a possible KO on offensive sets with stone edge. Now Keldo can be somewhat of an annoyance but again it usually isn't to much to handle as Spdef RotomWash tanks all its attacks and Togekiss can threaten it with air slash and dazzling gleam while not taking to much damage from scald or secret sword. I also run Tyranitar over Hippodown to avoid three of my mons being weak to ice type attacks but I do see your point as Mega Lopunny has been very annoying to this team. I run a purely physical Garchomp because my team would lack a set up sweeper without him plus a +2 stone edge in sand is a guaranteed 1HKO on Spdef Rotom and leaves Defensive Rotom severely injured.

You do have good points and I'll try out your suggestions and see how well they work out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)