Misdreavus

[OVERVIEW]

A rather versatile Pokemon with viable offensive and defensive sets, Misdreavus has many qualities that make it a threat in PU. With its unique typing and good bulk with Eviolite, Misdreavus can check a variety of common threats, including Vigoroth, Exeggutor, and Arbok. Its access to a fast Taunt and Will-O-Wisp in addition to Nasty Plot gives it great potential to break apart balanced cores, and its additional utility in moves such as Thunder Wave and Perish Song makes it still more versatile. Misdreavus's useful immunities to Spikes and Toxic Spikes allow it to stay healthy without too much difficulty, and its typing also discourages the use of Rapid Spin. However, Misdreavus suffers from having a low damage output with a mediocre Special Attack and rather weak moves in its arsenal, although it does boast excellent coverage with moves such as Dazzling Gleam and Thunderbolt. Moreover, its inability to hold Leftovers combined with its only form of recovery being Pain Split makes it susceptible to being worn down throughout a match, and its weakness to Knock Off makes it difficult for Misdreavus to check threats like Dodrio and Machoke.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Foul Play / Shadow Ball
move 4: Pain Split / Memento
item: Eviolite
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Will-O-Wisp cripples most physical attackers and lets Misdreavus accumulate damage on many of its switch-ins. Foul Play does huge damage to Pokemon like Guts Ursaring and Rapidash that think they can switch in for free and reliably beats Substitute variants of Bouffalant. Shadow Ball can also be used, but it is much weaker on average and leaves Misdreavus walled by many Normal-types that have ways of playing around Will-O-Wisp. Taunt prevents Pokemon like Roselia, Vigoroth, and Gorebyss from recovering health or setting up, greatly aiding in wearing them down. Pain Split, though somewhat unreliable, does a decent job of keeping Misdreavus healthy. Alternatively, Memento can be used on faster variants to support teammates such as Dragon Dance Fraxure. Thunder Wave can also be used to cripple faster switch-ins such as Floatzel and support slower teammates such as Exeggutor.

Set Details
========

16 EVs in Speed with a Timid nature enable Misdreavus to outspeed Adamant Pawniard as well as positive-natured Gorebyss, Exeggutor, and Relicanth. Misdreavus's physical defense is maximized with the remaining EVs to help it take on physical attackers such as Sawsbuck as consistently as possible. Eviolite boosts Misdreavus's longevity and lets it take hits from weak foes easily. More Speed can be invested; 52 EVs with a Timid nature allow Misdreavus to outspeed Adamant Mightyena, for example, while 124 EVs with a Timid nature allow Misdreavus to outspeed Adamant Stoutland and Arbok. A specially defensive EV spread can also be used in order to better handle certain attackers such as Kadabra.

Usage Tips
========

Misdreavus fits well on balanced teams as a check to many physical attackers such as Klang and Bouffalant. Taunt and Will-O-Wisp can usually be spammed to break down bulky cores consisting of Pokemon such as Stunfisk, Roselia, and Probopass. However, Misdreavus should be careful of using Taunt against some offensive threats that can take advantage of a free turn, such as Stunfisk getting off a Discharge and Probopass pivoting out with Volt Switch for free. Misdreavus also needs to be careful of using Will-O-Wisp on incoming Guts and Facade users, such as Machoke and Stoutland. Switching out of Knock Off is almost always a must in order to retain Misdreavus's excellent bulk. In addition, Misdreavus should avoid taking hits from powerful special attackers such as Choice Specs Floatzel and Life Orb Raichu. Misdreavus's presence can deter Rapid Spin, and its fast Taunt can prevent Defog from slower Pokemon such as Pelipper and Vullaby. It should use Memento only when Misdreavus has little use left in the game or if a teammate absolutely needs the support to set up.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive Pokemon, such as Roselia, Lickilicky, and Politoed, are needed as teammates to take on the powerful special attackers that threaten Misdreavus. Roselia can additionally provide Spikes support, Lickilicky can heal Misdreavus of status and support it with Wish if necessary, and Politoed can help with the powerful Fire- and Water-types that threaten Misdreavus. All three of these Pokemon appreciate Misdreavus's physically defensive presence to handle many of their checks. Stunfisk and Probopass can provide Misdreavus with Stealth Rock support and absorb Knock Off from Pokemon such as Dodrio and Pawniard decently. Setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Sunny Day Exeggutor, can take advantage of potential Memento support, while Vigoroth greatly appreciates the burn on attackers such as Pawniard and Relicanth.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Dazzling Gleam / Thunderbolt
move 4: Taunt / Will-O-Wisp
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Nasty Plot, Misdreavus can boost its Special Attack and threaten to open up holes in both offensive and balanced teams. Shadow Ball is a reliable STAB move with good all-around coverage. Misdreavus can generally afford to run only one coverage move: Hidden Power Fighting lets Misdreavus hit Normal- and Dark-types, such as Stoutland and especially Pawniard, super effectively, while Dazzling Gleam hits Machoke, Vullaby, and particularly Zweilous hard. Thunderbolt is another option to give Misdreavus a super effective hit on threats such as Dodrio and Simipour and provides it with the strongest hit on Vullaby. Taunt lets Misdreavus set up more easily without fearing moves such as Toxic and Thunder Wave and also prevents Vigoroth from stalling Misdreavus out with its own Taunt. Will-O-Wisp can also be used to wear down Misdreavus's checks early in the game and check physical attackers even when not attempting to sweep

Set Details
========

The given spread maximizes Special Attack and Speed to let Misdreavus sweep the most efficiently. A Modest nature maximizes Misdreavus's damage output, notably guaranteeing a 2HKO on Roselia after a Nasty Plot. A Timid nature, while not hugely beneficial, at least guarantees that Misdreavus will outspeed a few uncommon foes such as Jolly Monferno, Gabite, Stoutland, and Arbok. Eviolite lets Misdreavus set up comfortably on weak attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Misdreavus can take weaker hits from the likes of Roselia and Politoed, but it is worn down quickly with Stealth Rock and repeated attacks. Nasty Plot Misdreavus should be used to soften up or eliminate the likes of Vigoroth, Roselia, and Probopass to support a teammate's sweep; for example, Choice Scarf Chatot appreciates the weakening of specially defensive Pokemon like these. Misdreavus should spam Shadow Ball to wear down the likes of Eviolite Monferno before attempting to boost with Nasty Plot. With its typing, Misdreavus can also deter Rapid Spin from Armaldo and Avalugg, though it fears Knock Off from the former and Toxic on the switch in from the latter. It should also try to avoid taking Knock Off, as this will make it significantly easier to revenge kill.

Team Options
========

Fast teammates such as Zebstrika, Kadabra, and Choice Scarf Chatot that appreciate special walls being weakened make for good partners; these Pokemon can also revenge kill the powerful attackers that can take Misdreavus down. Stealth Rock support is crucial to help in wearing down checks like Vullaby, while Spikes support from Roselia makes it even easier to weaken bulkier foes, especially given that Misdreavus can potentially prevent both Rapid Spin and Defog. Strong physical attackers such as Machoke and Dodrio can apply additional pressure to bulky teams; Machoke in particular has excellent synergy with Misdreavus.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Perish Song allows Misdreavus to beat bulky sweepers such as Vigoroth and Duosion and can also be used to force switches on sweepers that Misdreavus can't handle by itself, but Taunt generally gets the job done. Heal Bell lets Midreavus act as a cleric for its team. Destiny Bond is a niche option that can remove a foe reliably in combination with Taunt. Substitute can be used to avoid crippling status and make it more difficult for burned targets to weaken Misdreavus, but Misdreavus's lack of recovery hurts it. A Calm Mind set is an option, though Misdreavus's weakness to status and powerful wallbreakers renders this set ineffective.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off**: Loss of Eviolite will greatly reduce Misdreavus's ability to perform its role, and Knock Off from strong attackers such as Raichu, Simipour, and Armaldo can 2HKO Misdreavus. Pawniard greatly threatens even defensive variants of Misdreavus with its powerful STAB Knock Offs.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types can switch into Will-O-Wisp with impunity, and, in the case of Rapidash and Ninetales, can even activate Flash Fire. They also don't take much damage from Misdreavus's relatively weak Shadow Balls.

**Wallbreakers**: Powerful attacks from the likes of Simipour and Rotom-F can weaken Misdreavus easily, especially as Pain Split is an unreliable form of recovery.

**Status**: Poison and burn both make it easy for Misdreavus to get worn down and render it unable to check the Pokemon it should. Paralysis can also prevent Misdreavus from burning, attacking, or using Taunt on foes it normally outspeeds.

**Guts Machoke**: With Guts to take advantage of Will-O-Wisp as well as access to Knock Off, Machoke forces Misdreavus out.

**Normal-types**: Guts Ursaring and Facade Stoutland can benefit from switching into Will-O-Wisp and threaten to KO Misdreavus after Stealth Rock damage. Due to Oblivious, specially defensive Lickilicky can heal itself freely against Misdreavus and take it out with Knock Off.

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi, Dodmen, I'm not QC, but I see some things you could add to your analysis:

On its offensive NP set, I'd slash Hidden Power Fighting before Thunderbolt. Things like Stoutland or Ursaring switching into Misdreavus are much more common, and Taunt already prevents Pelipper / Vullaby (targets that you'd bring down with Tbolt) from Defogging. I'm also not sure about the validity of this weakening Lickilicky for Misdreavus' partners, given +2 Modest Misdreavus' HP Fighting is only a 3HKO on SpDef Lickilicky (meaning it can stay in, heal itself, and beat you with Knock Off).

Perish Song isn't something I'd leave on the main defensive set. Instead, I'd put Memento / Destiny Bond as options in this last slot. In either case, Memento / Destiny Bond should be slashed over Pain Split on its defensive set, not over Taunt. Perish Song in my opinion is only a tertiary option that belongs in OO.

Rather than using Shadow Ball first slot on its defensive set, I think Foul Play deserves main slash here.

I'd mention Scrappy Facade Stoutland in Checks and Counters. It can easily come into a predicted WoW, activate Facade and OHKO offensive variants / 2HKO defensive variants of Misdreavus (a 12.5% chance to OHKO defensive Misdreavus after Stealth Rock even).

Finally, the EV spreads found here could be optimized. For example, while running Jolly Stoutland and Jolly Arbok sometimes happens, they aren't very common at all. So, running enough Speed to beat Adamant Stoutland and Arbok on your Stallbreaker / Offensive sets is what I'd run here. On its defensive set, Timid + 16 Spe EVs for beating neutral nature base 65s / positive nature base 55s and Whirlipede before a Speed Boost would be a nice idea. Mentioning 240 Speed as a benchmark for outspeeding Mightyena and hitting it with a Burn is an option to mention in Set Details as well.

Calm Misdreavus is also an option that works well for beating threats like Kadabra and Mr. Mime. All the different EV spreads for Misdreavus are here if you're wanting to take a look: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-ev-spread-compendium.3535884/

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Change the title. Also this might be a little ugly because mobile, sorry

Leave misdreavus at max speed. Sure, you can put a tiny bit in hp and only beat stoutland. But then why not beat monferno, one more base speed. Or gabite, just 2 more? At that point, what are you really getting by not running max and beating slower missy and hp fighting articuno and tying with golduck? Assuming you want modest, which you do, not much point. The defensive set should also be 248 hp same as stall breaker.

In overview, highlight immunity to Tspikes along with spikes
In the offensive moves, gleam isn't good enough to be mentioned, I'd drop it to oo . Also change the order of bullets since Tbolt is no longer the first slash (or just remember to do it in write up)
Usage tips 1 feels really short yet I can't think of anything, maybe look over again?
Put dodrio checks in team options 1, it's the main mon capable of OHKOing missy without prior while being faster and needs to be played around carefully so it doesn't come in for free on anything but bolt/wisp

Set details 2 still mentions piloswine
Mention vibrava over lumineon in usage tips 2, it's actually viable
Team options 2 needs normal checks and should probably mention something for machoke too

Agreeing with the removal of perish song from the defensive set seeing as taunt wisp takes care of things like duo
Again normal checks are essential for missy and this set is even weaker to machoke
Put heal bell in OO (and perish song again)
In UT 3, I can't think of anything other than spinblocking and mentioning that spamming wisp to wear down teams is good but try to not give free switches and/or boosts too much
C&C looks fine

Memento needs a slash somewhere on one of Missy's sets but I'm not entirely sure where right now so I'll talk with other qc then post back and stamp this dodmen

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there much the stallbreaker set does that defensive doesn't? I used to use standard def with a decent amount of speed (enough for stout and by default enough for vigoroth), and other than there isnt much max speed does. They are played fairly similarly except the stallbreaker one has less survivability, and they break cores just as easily as each other if u run max speed (not like ur using it to break stall). Tbh i think just a mention in SD of speed for stout in the defensive set would be alright. I might be missing something, so please say so if that set has a stronger niche than I think it does.

Yeah i also agree w/ deslashing perish song as with taunt you beat duosion and clefairy, and taunt vigoroth beats psong anyway (sub loses to willo too)

Lastly just a small comment but make a mention of sticky web in the NP TO as its a great supporter and likes the speed drop

Might check later but looks good at a glance

e at below: yeah memento is nice for certain teams and is better than perish song so moves on defensive sounds good

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I'm alright with combining the sets as honestly they play really similar and have practically identical TO. As far as memento goes, put it in moves on defensive, and specify that it ideally goes on faster sets. It's really good but also only fits on specific archetypes (mostly involving linoone)

I changed the title since you said it was QC ready and it was bugging me a bit, if it's not QC ready anymore for w/e reason then just change it back

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I might check this out later, but after some testing I feel that Thunder Wave should be slashed after Pain Split on the Stallbreaker set. Hex and Shadow Ball could also be switched on said set, but I'll wait for other QC input in regards to this.

I forgot about this but I updated it. I combined the two "defensive" sets cause they're about the same especially in the November metagame. I added enough Speed to beat standard Vigoroth, removed Perish Song and added Memento, and added TWave to Moves.

e: and added some references to new drops

Reactions: nv

MZ

teammates to handle pawniard just became a lot more relevant (add that to c&c too), mention how foul play now also gives it a way to beat bouff behind a sub. idt there's anything else about the new drops though
1/3

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
overview:
i would add that its typing also allows it to spinblock, which might be worth noticing even if that's not really relevant
i dont know if you also meant toxic spikes, but when you say immunity to Spikes, add that it is also immune to Toxic Spikes which could have been way more annoying to missy
nasty plot also works well to shred through balanced cores, so mention it too in the part where you talk about taunt and WoW

moves for np set:
re-add dazzling gleam in moves again, dazzling is almost equal in terms of viability with thunderbolt right now, it is very useful against machoke, it still helps with vullaby, and at the same time it is also key in breaking through zweilous, which has gotten popular since exeggutor drop, when not running HP Fight. Being able to hit harder Dodrio might look super cool, but if Dodrio is CB it OHKOs Misdreavus anyway, and if it is Choice Scarf, it is still able to cripple Misdreavus, making it easier to revengekill in a metagame where faster threats are everywhere. only plus i could see is hitting Simipour, which is ok.

usage tips:
mention shadow ball should be spammed most of the time unless predicting a switch in from an opposing Pawniard or threats that are immune or take little damage from Shadow Ball, and can threaten Misdreavus
mention it should be careful before switching in / setting up on knock off users

team options:
mention sr support too
i'd still mention pokemon that have a nice type-synergy such as fighting-types, even though missy carries decent coverage

moves for defensive set:
thunder wave also aids the sweep of slower teammates

set details:
stoutland isn't exactly the best example, unless missy runs foul play it can't almost touch stoutland, and foul play doesn't even 2HKO, while Stoutland can 2HKO Misdreavus with Scrappy Return, gets a boost from willo, and can also pursuit trap missy, so yeah replace stout with another example when talking about evs in defense.

usage tips:
move first point to team options
the second point doesn't give any advice to how play the set, and it's redundant considering you already talked about missy against defensive foes in the overview, therefore remove the point.
mention how memento should be used carefully and when to use it, as it sacrifices the pokemon
mention missy should be weary of strong special attackers
mention when to use taunt, it can be risky using it against some offensive threats so i'd like some input regarding that
mention to be careful using will-o-wisp especially against guts users such as stout, and magic guard users

team options:
add pokemon that appreciate memento support
add pokemon that appreciate a ph def backbone
add pokemon that appreciate will-o-wisp support to set up or to just clean up the opposing team, therefore need it weakened

other options:
mention perish song should be used on a defensive set, and that it is best used against offensive set up users that missy/the team can't take on itself so need to force their switch out

first qc check after a while : D

2/3 dodmen

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Misdreavus doesn't actually need 56 Spe + Timid to outspeed Pawniard and Gorebyss, just 56 Spe. Imo just use Bold nature with 56 Spe and a mention of a spread outspeeding Mightyena in SD because it has become worse with the recent drops and was never that common anyway. Also mention Spdef Missy in SD from defensive because it's only slightly worse, and mention Heal Bell somewhere, preferably moves on defensive set or OO. I also think defensive Misdreavus is much more relevant than offensive and should probably be listed first but it doesn't really matter.

3/3 :)

anty edit: you actually only need 52 + timid to outspeed mightyena. also i agree that defensive should be first set

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed the thing about Speed in defensive; I left 16 Spe Timid as the main spread because then Misdreavus is guaranteed to outspeed all of Exeggutor, Gorebyss, and Relicanth (and max Jolly Bouffalant lol), which the 52 Spe Bold spread fails to do, at the cost of hardly any bulk. Added SpDef mention and Heal Bell, so this should be ready for GP.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would be deeply offended if anyone else took this check

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

A rather versatile Pokemon with viable offensive and defensive sets, Misdreavus has many qualities that make it a threat in PU. With its unique typing and good bulk with Eviolite, Misdreavus can check a variety of common threats, including Vigoroth, Exeggutor, and Arbok. Its access to a fast Taunt and Will-O-Wisp in addition to Nasty Plot give it great potential to break apart balanced cores, and its additional utility in moves such as Thunder Wave and Perish Song makes it still more versatily versatile. Misdreavus's useful immunities to Spikes and Toxic Spikes allow it to stay healthy without too much difficulty, and in addition, its typing also discourages the use of Rapid Spin. However, Misdreavus suffers from having a low damage output with a mediocre Special Attack and rather weak moves in its arsenal, although it does boast excellent coverage with moves such as Dazzling Gleam and Thunderbolt. Moreover, its inability to hold Leftovers combined with its only form of recovery being Pain Split makes it susceptible to being worn down throughout a match. Its weakness to Knock Off also makes it difficult for Misdreavus to check threats like Dodrio and Machoke.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Will-O-Wisp cripples most physical attackers and lets Misdreavus accumulate damage on many of its switch-ins. Foul Play does huge damage to Pokemon like Guts Ursaring and Rapidash that think they can switch in for free and reliably beats Substitute variants of Bouffalant with Substitute. Shadow Ball can also be used, but it is much weaker on average and leaves Misdreavus walled by many Normal-types that have ways of playing around Will-O-Wisp. Taunt is used to prevents Pokemon like Roselia, Vigoroth, and Gorebyss from recovering health or setting up, greatly aiding in wearing them down. Pain Split, though somewhat unreliable, does a decent job of keeping Misdreavus healthy. Alternatively, Memento can be used on faster variants to support teammates such as Dragon Dance Fraxure. Thunder Wave can also be used to cripple faster switch-ins such as Floatzel and support slower teammates such as Exeggutor.

Set Details
========

16 EVs in Speed with a Timid nature enable Misdreavus to outspeed Adamant Pawniard as well as positive-natured Gorebyss, Exeggutor, and Relicanth. Misdreavus's physical defense is maximized with the remaining EVs to help it take on physical attackers such as Sawsbuck as consistently as possible. Eviolite boosts Misdreavus's longevity and lets it take hits from weak foes easily. More Speed can be invested; 52 EVs with a Timid nature allow Misdreavus to outspeed Adamant Mightyena, for example, while 124 EVs with a Timid nature allow Misdreavus to outspeed Adamant Stoutland and Arbok. A specially defensive EV spread can also be used in order to better handle certain attackers such as Kadabra.

Usage Tips
========

Misdreavus fits well on balanced teams as a check to many physical attackers such as Klang and Bouffalant. Taunt and Will-O-Wisp can usually be spammed to break down bulky cores consisting of Pokemon such as Stunfisk, Roselia, and Probopass. However, Misdreavus should be careful of using Taunt against some offensive threats that can take advantage of a free turn, such as Stunfisk getting off a Discharge and Probopass pivoting out with Volt Switch for free. Misdreavus also needs to be careful of using Will-O-Wisp on incoming Guts and Facade users, such as Machoke and Stoutland. Switching out of Knock Off is almost always a must in order to retain Misdreavus's excellent bulk. In addition, Misdreavus should avoid taking hits from powerful special attackers such as Choice Specs Floatzel and Life Orb Raichu. Misdreavus's presence can deter Rapid Spin and its fast Taunt can prevent Defog from slower Pokemon such as Pelipper and Vullaby. It should use Memento only when Misdreavus has little use left in the game or if a teammate absolutely needs the support to set up.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive Pokemon, such as Roselia and Lickilicky, are needed as teammates to take on the powerful special attackers that threaten Misdreavus. Roselia can additionally provide Spikes support, (AC) while Lickilicky can heal Misdreavus of status and support it with Wish if necessary, while. (AP) (was Politoed another example of a specially defensive Pokemon? not sure why else it'd be connected with the previous sentence. if yes, I'd probably make it a list of three (Roselia __, Lickilicky __, and Politoed __") and add Politoed to the first sentence (such as Roselia, Lickilicky, and Politoed). if Poli isn't specially defensive I'd split it into a separate sentence like I have done here) Politoed can help with the powerful Fire- and Water-types that threaten Misdreavus. Both (what's this referring to? I see three options instead of two... :s) appreciate Misdreavus's physically defensive presence to handle many of their checks. Stunfisk and Probopass can provide Misdreavus with Stealth Rock support and absorb Knock Off from Pokemon such as Dodrio and Pawniard decently. Setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Sunny Day Exeggutor, can take advantage of potential Memento support, while Vigoroth greatly appreciates the burn on attackers such as Pawniard and Relicanth.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Nasty Plot, Misdreavus can boost its Special Attack and threaten to open up holes in both offensive and balanced teams. Shadow Ball is a reliable STAB move with good all-around coverage. Misdreavus can generally afford to run only one coverage move: Hidden Power Fighting lets Misdreavus hit Normal- and Dark-types, such as Stoutland and especially Pawniard, super effectively, while Dazzling Gleam hits Machoke, Vullaby, and particularly Zweilous hard. Thunderbolt is another option to give Misdreavus a super effective hit on threats such as Dodrio and Simipour and provides it with the strongest hit on Vullaby. Taunt lets Misdreavus set up more easily without fearing moves such as Toxic or and Thunder Wave, (RC) and also prevents Vigoroth from stalling it Misdreavus out with its own Taunt. Will-O-Wisp can also be used to wear down Misdreavus's checks early in the game and check physical attackers even when not attempting to sweep. (AP)

Set Details
========

The given spread maximizes Special Attack and Speed to let Misdreavus sweep the most efficiently. A Modest nature maximizes Misdreavus's damage output, notably guaranteeing a 2HKO on Roselia after a Nasty Plot. A Timid nature, while not hugely beneficial, at least guarantees Misdreavus will to outspeed a few uncommon foes such as Jolly Monferno, Gabite, Stoutland, and Arbok. Eviolite lets Misdreavus set up comfortably on weak attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Misdreavus can take weaker hits from the likes of Roselia and Politoed, but it is worn down quickly with Stealth Rock and repeated attacks. Nasty Plot Misdreavus should be used to soften up or eliminate the likes of Vigoroth, Roselia, and Probopass to support a teammate's sweep; for example, Choice Scarf Chatot appreciates the weakening of specially defensive Pokemon like these. Misdreavus should spam Shadow Ball to wear down the likes of Eviolite Monferno before attempting to boost with Nasty Plot. With its typing, Misdreavus can also deter Rapid Spin from Armaldo and Avalugg, though it fears Knock Off from the former and Toxic on the switch in from the latter. Misdreavus should try to avoid taking Knock Off, as since it will make it significantly easier to revenge kill.

Team Options
========

Fast teammates, such as Zebstrika, Kadabra, and Choice Scarf Chatot, that appreciate special walls being weakened make for good partners; these Pokemon can also revenge kill the powerful attackers that can take Misdreavus down. Stealth Rock support is crucial to help in wearing down checks like Vullaby, while Spikes support from Roselia makes it even easier to weaken bulkier foes, especially given that Misdreavus can potentially prevent both Rapid Spin and Defog. Strong physical attackers such as Machoke and Dodrio can apply additional pressure to bulky teams; Machoke in particular has excellent synergy with Misdreavus.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Perish Song beats bulky sweepers such as Vigoroth and Duosion and can also be used to force switches on sweepers that Misdreavus can't handle by itself, but Taunt generally gets the job done. Heal Bell lets Midreavus act as a cleric for its team. Destiny Bond is a niche option that can remove a foe reliably in combination with Taunt. Substitute can be used to avoid crippling status and make it more difficult for burned targets to weaken Misdreavus, but the lack of recovery hurts it. A Calm Mind set is an option (or whatever you like; just needs something here to make it a complete thought), though Misdreavus's weakness to status and powerful wallbreakers renders this set ineffective.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off**: Loss of Eviolite will greatly reduce Misdreavus's ability to perform its role, and Knock Off from strong attackers such as Raichu, Simipour, and Armaldo can 2HKO Misdreavus. Pawniard greatly threatens even defensive variants of Misdreavus with its powerful STAB Knock Offs.

**Fire-types**: (colon) Fire-types can switch into Will-O-Wisp with immpunity, (RC) and, in the case of Rapidash and Ninetales, can (maybe add an "even" here? up to you) activate Flash Fire. They also don't take much damage from Misdreavus's relatively weak Shadow Balls. (AP)

**Wallbreakers**: (colon) Powerful attacks from the likes of Simipour and Rotom-Frost can weaken Misdreavus easily, especially as since Pain Split is an unreliable form of recovery. (AP)

**Status**: (colon) Poison and burn both make it easy for Misdreavus to get worn down and render it unable to check the Pokemon it should. Paralysis can also prevent Misdreavus from burning, attacking, or using Taunt on foes things it normally outspeeds.

**Guts Machoke**: (colon) With Guts to take advantage of Will-O-Wisp as well as access to Knock Off, Machoke forces Misdreavus out.

**Normal-types**: (colon) Guts Ursaring and Facade Stoutland can benefit from switching into Will-O-Wisp and threaten to KO Misdreavus after Stealth Rock damage. Due to Oblivious, specially defensive Lickilicky can heal itself freely against Misdreavus and take it out with Knock Off.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
this mon is cute so k

remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

A rather versatile Pokemon with viable offensive and defensive sets, Misdreavus has many qualities that make it a threat in PU. With its unique typing and good bulk with Eviolite, Misdreavus can check a variety of common threats, including Vigoroth, Exeggutor, and Arbok. Its access to a fast Taunt and Will-O-Wisp in addition to Nasty Plot gives it great potential to break apart balanced cores, and its additional utility in moves such as Thunder Wave and Perish Song makes it still more versatile. Misdreavus's useful immunities to Spikes and Toxic Spikes allow it to stay healthy without too much difficulty, and its typing also discourages the use of Rapid Spin. However, Misdreavus suffers from having a low damage output with a mediocre Special Attack and rather weak moves in its arsenal, although it does boast excellent coverage with moves such as Dazzling Gleam and Thunderbolt. Moreover, its inability to hold Leftovers combined with its only form of recovery being Pain Split makes it susceptible to being worn down throughout a match, (comma) and Its weakness to Knock Off also makes it difficult for Misdreavus to check threats like Dodrio and Machoke.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Will-O-Wisp cripples most physical attackers and lets Misdreavus accumulate damage on many of its switch-ins. Foul Play does huge damage to Pokemon like Guts Ursaring and Rapidash that think they can switch in for free and reliably beats Substitute variants of Bouffalant. Shadow Ball can also be used, but it is much weaker on average and leaves Misdreavus walled by many Normal-types that have ways of playing around Will-O-Wisp. Taunt prevents Pokemon like Roselia, Vigoroth, and Gorebyss from recovering health or setting up, greatly aiding in wearing them down. Pain Split, though somewhat unreliable, does a decent job of keeping Misdreavus healthy. Alternatively, Memento can be used on faster variants to support teammates such as Dragon Dance Fraxure. Thunder Wave can also be used to cripple faster switch-ins such as Floatzel and support slower teammates such as Exeggutor.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Misdreavus fits well on balanced teams as a check to many physical attackers such as Klang and Bouffalant. Taunt and Will-O-Wisp can usually be spammed to break down bulky cores consisting of Pokemon such as Stunfisk, Roselia, and Probopass. However, Misdreavus should be careful of using Taunt against some offensive threats that can take advantage of a free turn, such as Stunfisk getting off a Discharge and Probopass pivoting out with Volt Switch for free. Misdreavus also needs to be careful of using Will-O-Wisp on incoming Guts and Facade users, such as Machoke and Stoutland. Switching out of Knock Off is almost always a must in order to retain Misdreavus's excellent bulk. In addition, Misdreavus should avoid taking hits from powerful special attackers such as Choice Specs Floatzel and Life Orb Raichu. Misdreavus's presence can deter Rapid Spin, (AC) and its fast Taunt can prevent Defog from slower Pokemon such as Pelipper and Vullaby. It should use Memento only when Misdreavus has little use left in the game or if a teammate absolutely needs the support to set up.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive Pokemon, such as Roselia, Lickilicky, and Politoed, are needed as teammates to take on the powerful special attackers that threaten Misdreavus. Roselia can additionally provide Spikes support, Lickilicky can heal Misdreavus of status and support it with Wish if necessary, and Politoed can help with the powerful Fire- and Water-types that threaten Misdreavus. All three of these Pokemon appreciate Misdreavus's physically defensive presence to handle many of their checks. Stunfisk and Probopass can provide Misdreavus with Stealth Rock support and absorb Knock Off from Pokemon such as Dodrio and Pawniard decently. Setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Sunny Day Exeggutor, can take advantage of potential Memento support, while Vigoroth greatly appreciates the burn on attackers such as Pawniard and Relicanth.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Nasty Plot, Misdreavus can boost its Special Attack and threaten to open up holes in both offensive and balanced teams. Shadow Ball is a reliable STAB move with good all-around coverage. Misdreavus can generally afford to run only one coverage move: Hidden Power Fighting lets Misdreavus hit Normal- and Dark-types, such as Stoutland and especially Pawniard, super effectively, while Dazzling Gleam hits Machoke, Vullaby, and particularly Zweilous hard. Thunderbolt is another option to give Misdreavus a super effective hit on threats such as Dodrio and Simipour and provides it with the strongest hit on Vullaby. Taunt lets Misdreavus set up more easily without fearing moves such as Toxic and Thunder Wave and also prevents Vigoroth from stalling Misdreavus out with its own Taunt. Will-O-Wisp can also be used to wear down Misdreavus's checks early in the game and check physical attackers even when not attempting to sweep

Set Details
========

The given spread maximizes Special Attack and Speed to let Misdreavus sweep the most efficiently. A Modest nature maximizes Misdreavus's damage output, notably guaranteeing a 2HKO on Roselia after a Nasty Plot. A Timid nature, while not hugely beneficial, at least guarantees that Misdreavus will outspeed a few uncommon foes such as Jolly Monferno, Gabite, Stoutland, and Arbok. Eviolite lets Misdreavus set up comfortably on weak attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Misdreavus can take weaker hits from the likes of Roselia and Politoed, but it is worn down quickly with Stealth Rock and repeated attacks. Nasty Plot Misdreavus should be used to soften up or eliminate the likes of Vigoroth, Roselia, and Probopass to support a teammate's sweep; for example, Choice Scarf Chatot appreciates the weakening of specially defensive Pokemon like these. Misdreavus should spam Shadow Ball to wear down the likes of Eviolite Monferno before attempting to boost with Nasty Plot. With its typing, Misdreavus can also deter Rapid Spin from Armaldo and Avalugg, though it fears Knock Off from the former and Toxic on the switch in from the latter. Misdreavus It should also try to avoid taking Knock Off, as it this will make it significantly easier to revenge kill.

Team Options
========

Fast teammates (RC) such as Zebstrika, Kadabra, and Choice Scarf Chatot (RC) that appreciate special walls being weakened make for good partners; these Pokemon can also revenge kill the powerful attackers that can take Misdreavus down. Stealth Rock support is crucial to help in wearing down checks like Vullaby, while Spikes support from Roselia makes it even easier to weaken bulkier foes, especially given that Misdreavus can potentially prevent both Rapid Spin and Defog. Strong physical attackers such as Machoke and Dodrio can apply additional pressure to bulky teams; Machoke in particular has excellent synergy with Misdreavus.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Perish Song beats allows Misdreavus to beat bulky sweepers such as Vigoroth and Duosion and can also be used to force switches on sweepers that Misdreavus can't handle by itself, but Taunt generally gets the job done. Heal Bell lets Midreavus act as a cleric for its team. Destiny Bond is a niche option that can remove a foe reliably in combination with Taunt. Substitute can be used to avoid crippling status and make it more difficult for burned targets to weaken Misdreavus, but the Misdreavus's lack of recovery hurts it. A Calm Mind set is an option, though Misdreavus's weakness to status and powerful wallbreakers renders this set ineffective.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types can switch into Will-O-Wisp with impunity, and, in the case of Rapidash and Ninetales, it can even activate Flash Fire. They also don't take much damage from Misdreavus's relatively weak Shadow Balls.

**Wallbreakers**: Powerful attacks from the likes of Simipour and Rotom-F can weaken Misdreavus easily, especially as Pain Split is an unreliable form of recovery.

**Status**: Poison and burn both make it easy for Misdreavus to get worn down and render it unable to check the Pokemon it should. Paralysis can also prevent Misdreavus from burning, attacking, or using Taunt on foes it normally outspeeds.

**Guts Machoke**: With Guts to take advantage of Will-O-Wisp as well as access to Knock Off, Machoke forces Misdreavus out.

**Normal-types**: Guts Ursaring and Facade Stoutland can benefit from switching into Will-O-Wisp and threaten to KO Misdreavus after Stealth Rock damage. Due to Oblivious, specially defensive Lickilicky can heal itself freely against Misdreavus and take it out with Knock Off.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)