ORAS OU Asura's Wrath (Mega Medicham Team)

Mega Medicham used to be a fairly large threat in the XY OU Meta Game, having a decent Speed stat, and basically base 200 Attack thanks to it's ability Pure Power. Combine that with a diverse movepool, and you have a decent threat with the right support.

However, when ORAS came around, MegaCham gained a lot of competition in Mega Gallade, and was seemingly outclassed by Mega Loppuny, which has a far higher Speed Stat, and STAB Fake Out, which most MegaCham's run, and this being outclassed in that regard.

However, I personally really like MegaCham, and I do believe it can still be a very large threat given the right support. This team has tested fairly well, and I'd like to not only share it with everyone, but get a chance to get some input on what I can maybe to do make the team even better.

Team Building Process

Ok, so Mega Medicham. It has a great typing giving it access to some unique dual STAB. Not a lot can take on such a powerful STAB combo, making Medicham the main Sweeper of the team.

One of the biggest problems holding MegaCham back is its Speed. While base 100 isn't bad, with threats like Mega Loppunny running around, some speed control is needed. Galvantula not only provides Sticky Web support (the best user of the move in my opinion), but combine Focus Sash with some powerful STAB moves, Galvantula can actually be a pretty surprising threat if taken lightly.

Sticky Web on the field is a calling card for any Rapid Spinner or Defogger to come in a do their thing. While Rapid Spin can't really be stopped unless you have a Ghost type, common Defog users such as the Lati Twins and Mew are prime bait to have Bisharp come in and get a boost, while Pursuit trapping said Defoggers.

One of the biggest threats to any Fighting type is the Bravest of Birds, Talonflame. Despite Medicham resisting Fighting STAB, I didn't want to add a second Fighting weakness in Tyranitar as a Talonflame check, so I decided to go with Tankchomp instead, also providing Rock Support.

Next, I needed a scarfer. Rotom-Wash fits this bill nicely with some nice Dual STAB, as well as also checking Talonflame.

Last but not least, a specially defensive Spinner was needed to keep Hazards from my side of the field. Starmie can take many special hits fairly well, provide burns with Scald, and thanks to Starmie's wide movepool, can use either Ice Beam or Thunderbolt. Though with Rotom and Galvantula providing Electric STAB, Ice Beam has been chosen, allowing Starmie to threaten out None-scarfed Lando-T and Gliscor.

In-Depth Look

Asura (Medicham) (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

As stated above, MegaCham is an incredible threat when given the right support. This set allows Medicham to become a very powerful Physical Sweeper. Max Attack and Speed EVs are needed, especially with a Jolly nature for outspeeding certain threats without Sticky Web being up. Fake Out allows Medicham to Mega Evolve and deal a surprisingly high amount of damage while getting its speed up to Mega levels. High Jump Kick is the most powerful STAB option available to MegaCham, hitting a lot of neutral Pokemon incredibly hard. Zen Headbutt hits opposing Psychic types, and types that are resisted to Fighting. Finally, Ice Punch provides some nice coverage, hitting Ground and Flying types (Mostly Gliscor and Landorus-T). With all of these factors, it is easy to see why Medicham can be such a huge threat.

Spyder (Galvantula) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

Galvantula provides the team with much needed Sticky Web support. Focus Sash almost completely makes sure that it will be able to set up Sticky Web. Thanks to its decent Speed, Galvantula can also put a dent in someone's team thanks to dual Electric/Bug STAB. Thunder is actually viable on Galvantula thanks to it ability, Compound Eyes. Bug Buzz is a secondary STAB that hits Psychic types hard. Finally, Energy Ball allows Galvantula to hit Ground types, and any Mega Swamperts that may pop on on Rain Teams.

Shogun (Bisharp) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 192 HP / 220 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Despite not seeing much play, Assault Vest Bisharp fits very well on this team. Bisharp can easily switch in on those that would try to Defog away Sticky Web. Assault Vest also allows Bisharp to completely wall Latios and Latias, resisting their Dragon STAB and being immune to their Psychic STAB, and able to Pursuit Trap them. Knock off is the main STAB move in use, dealing decent damage, and knocking off most items off of the target. Sucker Punch helps Bisharp mitigate its lackluster speed. Iron Head hits Fairy types that can threaten Medicham, while hitting Rock types decently hard.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Talonflame posses a large threat to this team. In order to check/counter Talonflame, I was originally was going to put Tyranitar onto the team. However, not wanting to double my Fighting weaknesses, I decided to go with Tankchomp, which can deal serious damage to Talonflame without even attacking thanks to the Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet combo, and any recoil from both of T-Flames most common STAB attacks.

Stealth Rock provides another nice layer of Hazards, seriously harming Talonflame, and regular/MegaZard Y upon switching in. EQ Provides powerful STAB, while Dragon Tail allows for very useful phasing capabilities. Finally, Fire Blast is not only surprising, but allows Garchomp to hit switch ins like Ferrothorn and Forretress, 2HKOing the former, and OHKOing the latter after Stealth Rock damage.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

While it can also check Talonflame, this Rotom is the Scarfer of the team. With some great dual STAB, Rotom can be an effective Volt-Switcher. Hydro Pump, while mandatory on Rotom-Wash, it is a powerful STAB move that hits very hard. Thunderbolt is for pure Electric STAB power, hitting many water and flying threats hard. Finally, Trick can be used to mess up Set-up Sweepers and defensive mons, giving Rotom some useful utility.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Starmie provides the team with a needed Spinner. With proper investments, Starmie is actually fairly bulky on the special side. Psyshock is a fairly good STAB option, hitting Special Walls on the Physical Side. Scald, however, is the best STAB option as it can burn physical threats that switch in, or are slower than, Starmie. Finally, Ice Beam is a great option as it can hit huge threats like Landorus, and Gliscor. It does also hit other threats like opposing TankChomps, and other Ground types.

Hi, the team is preety cool, I've some suggests for your team.
It's a balanced team, and maybe you need a better synergy between your pokemon.
I think that MMedicham, DefensiveChomp, AV Bisharp are good.
The worst enemy of Medicham is Talonflame and Rotom-W is a fantastic counter of all version of the bird,
but difensive version is better than scarfTom

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

He has better bulk, thanks to his low speed gives a good momentum with Volt Switch, WoW defeats physical sweeper, Pain Split for bulkiness and Hydro Pump is the secondary STAB.

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 336-396 (102.7 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So, Medicham + Garchomp + Bisharp + Rotom W.

Sticky Web is a fantastic moves but in UU, because in OU there is Bisharp. Defiant's boost is really dangerous and the jolly version of bisharp can 0hko all your team. You need a Bisharp's counter over Galvantula. I think that Keldeo ore Terrakion are your best options. Keldeo is better thanks to his resistance at Iron Head too.
I could try the scarf version for solve the low speed problem.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 181-213 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ( after the boost )

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind / HP Electric / HP Grass

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 179-212 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 179-212 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Starmie is ok, but moveset and EVs haven't synergy.
Starmie have two versione
OFFENSIVE
Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

DEFENSIVE

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Reflect Type

The defensive versione is better for you. He has a good bulkiness and thanks to Reflect Type solves many problem against grass and dark pokemon. Scald for spamming burn. The EVs in the standar version are on speed not on SpD, but you need a SpD wall and he's good. He's also your status absorber thanks to his ability and your spinner.

Then

Defensive Rotom<-Scarf Rotom
Scarf Keldeo<-Galvantula
Defensive Starmie<- ? Starmie

If you have some replay I'm happy to see they.

I'm sorry for my english, but it isn't my language.

Hi, the team is preety cool, I've some suggests for your team.
It's a balanced team, and maybe you need a better synergy between your pokemon.
I think that MMedicham, DefensiveChomp, AV Bisharp are good.
The worst enemy of Medicham is Talonflame and Rotom-W is a fantastic counter of all version of the bird,
but difensive version is better than scarfTom

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

He has better bulk, thanks to his low speed gives a good momentum with Volt Switch, WoW defeats physical sweeper, Pain Split for bulkiness and Hydro Pump is the secondary STAB.

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 336-396 (102.7 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So, Medicham + Garchomp + Bisharp + Rotom W.

Sticky Web is a fantastic moves but in UU, because in OU there is Bisharp. Defiant's boost is really dangerous and the jolly version of bisharp can 0hko all your team. You need a Bisharp's counter over Galvantula. I think that Keldeo ore Terrakion are your best options. Keldeo is better thanks to his resistance at Iron Head too.
I could try the scarf version for solve the low speed problem.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 181-213 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ( after the boost )

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind / HP Electric / HP Grass

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 179-212 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 179-212 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Starmie is ok, but moveset and EVs haven't synergy.
Starmie have two versione
OFFENSIVE
Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

DEFENSIVE

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Reflect Type

The defensive versione is better for you. He has a good bulkiness and thanks to Reflect Type solves many problem against grass and dark pokemon. Scald for spamming burn. The EVs in the standar version are on speed not on SpD, but you need a SpD wall and he's good. He's also your status absorber thanks to his ability and your spinner.

Then

Defensive Rotom<-Scarf Rotom
Scarf Keldeo<-Galvantula
Defensive Starmie<- ? Starmie

If you have some replay I'm happy to see they.

I'm sorry for my english, but it isn't my language.
I agree with alexxjak, the team seems solid, just wanted to point something.

Starmie needs the speed to use reflect type properly, and it already has decent unninvested bulk.

If you worry about special attack, There's an alternative ev spread for TankChomp: 252hp/164def/70spdef/40spe. This allows you to take some special hits and outspeed Heatran.

Edit: Starmie's set is too gimmicky, same goes for Rotom-W, change to any of the standard sets.

If you get rid of Galvantula, enemy bisharp will not be so threatening, and nothing here deals properly with M-Sableye, who walls Medicham to death.

So: Replace Galvantula with CB Azumarril, she deals with mons that trouble Cham like Sableye and hippo.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 332-392 (109.2 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Edit2: After I went back from school, I took a deeper look to this and I noticed it's rally weak to Serperior, tour only switch in to Leaf Storm is Bisharp, and it can get killed with HP Firme or Ground, and if you run Azumarril you would have 3 Leaf Storm baits

Last edited:
Hey HeartlessAngel1993, while I like the concept of Sticky Web + M-Medicham, your team is too defensive for a Sticky Web build.

The main issue I see with your team is that every member is hard walled by M-Sableye, and your only measure of counterplay against it is to try to freeze it with Ice Punch or flinch it to death with Iron Head, which isn't very reliable. Your team also gets 6-0'd by Zard X once it sets up on your Starmie, Bisharp, or Galvantula, and all you can do in return is play Fake Out mind games vs it and hope they Roost on your HJK hoping you switch-out. And the last big issue I see with your team is something Sticky Web builds generally suffer with, which is Serperior. It can Leaf Storm on Starmie or Rotom-W and force you to sack half of your team to be able to beat it down with Fake Out.

So, to help with your weakness to M-Sableye, I think you should run Tail Glow Manaphy > Starmie to form a hard hitting balance breaking core with M-Medicham. And, to support Manaphy and M-Medicham with Pursuit support while also preventing you from being 6-0'd by M-Altaria which can easily set up on Garchomp and clean through your team, you should run Choice Band Scizor > Bisharp. It still Pursuits bulky Psychic types to support M-Medicham, as well as Latis to support Manaphy, but also helps provide a slow U-Turn to help get M-Medicham in safely.

As I mentioned before, Zard X poses a massive threat to your team, as does Thundurus and M-Manectric, so I think you should run Hippowdon > Garchomp as your bulky ground and Stealth Rock setter. And to check Gengar and Serperior which get kills virtually every time they switch-in, you should run Assault Vest Tornadus-Therian > Galvantula. As I said before, your team is simply too defensive to be an effective Sticky Web team, which is barely a solid team build at the moment with M-Sableye, M-Diancie, Bisharp, Thundurus, Gengar, and Serperior being common and huge threats to the playstyle and your team in general. AV TornT provides you with a new Keldeo check in place of Starmie, and adds to the VoltTurn core with Scizor and Rotom-W to help get M-Medicham as many free switches as possible.

For the last two changes you should run Bullet Punch > Ice Punch on M-Medicham to be able to take on M-Diancie leads, +1 M-Altaria, Weavile, and for another form of priority. And you should also run defensive Rotom-Wash > Choice Scarf to be able to check threats to M-Medicham such as Talonflame, M-Pinsir, Azumarill, and Tornadus-T much more reliably.

Changes in short:

Tail Glow Manaphy > Starmie
Choice Band Scizor > Assault Vest Bisharp
Hippowdon > Rocky Helmet Garchomp
Assault Vest Tornadus-Therian > Galvantula
Defensive Rotom-W > Choice Scarf Rotom-W
Bullet Punch M-Medicham > Ice Punch M-Medicham

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance / Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Hope i was able to help!

Hey HeartlessAngel1993, while I like the concept of Sticky Web + M-Medicham, your team is too defensive for a Sticky Web build.

The main issue I see with your team is that every member is hard walled by M-Sableye, and your only measure of counterplay against it is to try to freeze it with Ice Punch or flinch it to death with Iron Head, which isn't very reliable. Your team also gets 6-0'd by Zard X once it sets up on your Starmie, Bisharp, or Galvantula, and all you can do in return is play Fake Out mind games vs it and hope they Roost on your HJK hoping you switch-out. And the last big issue I see with your team is something Sticky Web builds generally suffer with, which is Serperior. It can Leaf Storm on Starmie or Rotom-W and force you to sack half of your team to be able to beat it down with Fake Out.

So, to help with your weakness to M-Sableye, I think you should run Tail Glow Manaphy > Starmie to form a hard hitting balance breaking core with M-Medicham. And, to support Manaphy and M-Medicham with Pursuit support while also preventing you from being 6-0'd by M-Altaria which can easily set up on Garchomp and clean through your team, you should run Choice Band Scizor > Bisharp. It still Pursuits bulky Psychic types to support M-Medicham, as well as Latis to support Manaphy, but also helps provide a slow U-Turn to help get M-Medicham in safely.

As I mentioned before, Zard X poses a massive threat to your team, as does Thundurus and M-Manectric, so I think you should run Hippowdon > Garchomp as your bulky ground and Stealth Rock setter. And to check Gengar and Serperior which get kills virtually every time they switch-in, you should run Assault Vest Tornadus-Therian > Galvantula. As I said before, your team is simply too defensive to be an effective Sticky Web team, which is barely a solid team build at the moment with M-Sableye, M-Diancie, Bisharp, Thundurus, Gengar, and Serperior being common and huge threats to the playstyle and your team in general. AV TornT provides you with a new Keldeo check in place of Starmie, and adds to the VoltTurn core with Scizor and Rotom-W to help get M-Medicham as many free switches as possible.

For the last two changes you should run Bullet Punch > Ice Punch on M-Medicham to be able to take on M-Diancie leads, +1 M-Altaria, Weavile, and for another form of priority. And you should also run defensive Rotom-Wash > Choice Scarf to be able to check threats to M-Medicham such as Talonflame, M-Pinsir, Azumarill, and Tornadus-T much more reliably.

Changes in short:

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Hope i was able to help!
Celes, I completely agree with you!

Sticky Web Is really unreliable for OU.

I only have a doubt, and is, wouln't be defog support neccesary, because with Torn-T being weak to SR...

I would use Excadrill> Scizor with Hippo's sand stream has the speed boost and kills fairies like no tomorrow and has rapid spin.

What do you think?

Changes in short:

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Hope i was able to help!
You put a lot of time and effort into the rate and it is definitely good but I would suggest maybe not suggesting having four members switched out plus edits to the other two as well because at that point it's no longer really the OP's team anymore as it is now your own. It's more about improving their team then completely revamping the team though I am aware when removing one member it can sometimes cause a snowball effect.

Ok, wow, I never expected this many replies. I really appreciate. So the general consensus here is that Sticky Web is no good on this team, and after the evidence, I can see why. So Sticky Web is out.

celes I tested the changes you suggested. While it is drastically different from my original team, I decided to give it a shot. It works really well, however if Hippo goes down, Charizard Y has a field day with the team. That is a concern I would like to bring up.

You put a lot of time and effort into the rate and it is definitely good but I would suggest maybe not suggesting having four members switched out plus edits to the other two as well because at that point it's no longer really the OP's team anymore as it is now your own. It's more about improving their team then completely revamping the team though I am aware when removing one member it can sometimes cause a snowball effect.
I completely understand and agree. I generally don't try to change more than 3 Pokemon on a team for this very reason, but when you have two mons like Galvantula and M-Medicham which offer little to no defensive utility (ie. M-Diancie can act as a decent Talonflame check for offensive builds), and when the team itself is very vulnerable to many top tier threats, it's hard not to completely revamp a team rather than just improving it. I tried to keep the changes similar to the original; replacing an offensive steel type with another, replacing a bulky ground with another, but i do understand where you're coming from.

Celes, I completely agree with you!

Sticky Web Is really unreliable for OU.

I only have a doubt, and is, wouln't be defog support neccesary, because with Torn-T being weak to SR...

I would use Excadrill> Scizor with Hippo's sand stream has the speed boost and kills fairies like no tomorrow and has rapid spin.

What do you think?
Yeah, in hindsight the team is pretty weak to Spikes, so a Spinner could work though adding Exca > Scizor makes it harder to pivot into Kyurem-B.

Ok, wow, I never expected this many replies. I really appreciate. So the general consensus here is that Sticky Web is no good on this team, and after the evidence, I can see why. So Sticky Web is out.

celes I tested the changes you suggested. While it is drastically different from my original team, I decided to give it a shot. It works really well, however if Hippo goes down, Charizard Y has a field day with the team. That is a concern I would like to bring up.
I guess you can maybe try Assault Vest Azumarill > Manaphy since it can still keep M-Sableye in check, and it takes a Solar Beam while being able to take out Zard Y in the sun with a combination of Waterfall and Aqua Jet.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Power-Up Punch / Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)