5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

I've been looking for 5iv timid frames to rng a Palkia from DR, but I've had to go all the way to 2020 to find a seed. However, I seem to be unable to hit this seed =/ could it be because I've set the DS's clock so far ahead?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been looking for 5iv timid frames to rng a Palkia from DR, but I've had to go all the way to 2020 to find a seed. However, I seem to be unable to hit this seed =/ could it be because I've set the DS's clock so far ahead?
Nope, your DS doesn't care what date it's set to.

You'll have to give some more information to receive any more thorough help I'm afraid.

Nope, your DS doesn't care what date it's set to.

You'll have to give some more information to receive any more thorough help I'm afraid.
Unfortunately, there isnt much to say, except that I just went back and tried to hit another seed I successfully hit yesterday and couldnt do it.

Is it possible that my system suddenly thinks I did a memory link and so all my seeds are now off? I've now DR rng'd a couple dozen times and havent had an issue :( including 4 successful rngs with this specific cart.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately, there isnt much to say, except that I just went back and tried to hit another seed I successfully hit yesterday and couldnt do it.

Is it possible that my system suddenly thinks I did a memory link and so all my seeds are now off? I've now DR rng'd a couple dozen times and havent had an issue :( including 4 successful rngs with this specific cart.
Did you do a system update in that time (change firmware versions)? Are you using a different console?

I don't know much about memory link, but if you didn't do one, I'd assume the game wouldn't guess that you had just by the date...

Did you do a system update in that time (change firmware versions)? Are you using a different console?

I don't know much about memory link, but if you didn't do one, I'd assume the game wouldn't guess that you had just by the date...
Same console and firmware :( it's just bizarre that, without anything changing, suddenly I cant hit *any* seed....

I'll keep trying though >.<; just very very frustrating.

Wait, I did change the text speed....

Edit: changing it back didnt help.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Wait, I did change the text speed....

Edit: changing it back didnt help.
Discussed in PM, but for the record:

It's possible that your game has started to think you've used memory link. Not sure why that happens, but I have read reports of that. That wouldn't cause you to no longer hit a seed, but it would shift the matching spinner results by 1 frame in the researcher. So it's possible that you are hitting your seed, but aren't looking at the right frames.

A couple parameter checks might not hurt either, in case your most common Timer0 changed. Depending on the age of your hardware, the percentage of time you hit it can change occasionally...or maybe that's just my DS.

I used to be into RNG in the past so I am mostly familiar with terminology but I am charting new territory trying to abuse my SS game for a set ID/SID. I was following the guide step by step and started trying to hit my time with EonTimer. The guide tells me to "check my delay" by entering the ID I end up with. When I do this, however, it scans forever and doesn't show me anything. What am I doing wrong? I calibrated EonTimer exactly as I was told in Part 1, set the target seconds at 3 less than my seed as I was told in Part 4. I tried a few times and the same result happened. Can anyone help me diagnose what is going wrong here? I'm really excited to trade some cool shiny pokemon in cool pokeballs from this gen, and story of my life, I am stuck on practically the first step. Lol.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I used to be into RNG in the past so I am mostly familiar with terminology but I am charting new territory trying to abuse my SS game for a set ID/SID. I was following the guide step by step and started trying to hit my time with EonTimer. The guide tells me to "check my delay" by entering the ID I end up with. When I do this, however, it scans forever and doesn't show me anything. What am I doing wrong? I calibrated EonTimer exactly as I was told in Part 1, set the target seconds at 3 less than my seed as I was told in Part 4. I tried a few times and the same result happened. Can anyone help me diagnose what is going wrong here? I'm really excited to trade some cool shiny pokemon in cool pokeballs from this gen, and story of my life, I am stuck on practically the first step. Lol.
3rd/4th gen questions really belong here for future reference :P

But to answer your question, are you inputting a max/min delay in the Seed Finder section of Pandora's Box (the section on the far right), then hitting that find compatible seeds button?

Derp, I can read, I swear. Yeah, my delay is 5079 and I start my search around 4800 to see if I was fast or not. It searches through 6000 and beyond and still produces nothing.

Derp 2.0: Nevermind, I was using the wrong part of the tool. It works as intended and I fail at comprehending pictures. Thanks!

Last edited:
I haven't ranged in ages. Why is it that when I select "copy to clipboard" I can't see the normal stuff like chatot pitches or the Pokemon encounters in the main window. Also what frame does the giant chasm generally start on?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I haven't ranged in ages. Why is it that when I select "copy to clipboard" I can't see the normal stuff like chatot pitches or the Pokemon encounters in the main window. Also what frame does the giant chasm generally start on?
Did you select Gen 5 PIDRNG as the Method then hit generate? The PID frame usually starts between 40-60, but it varies with the seed as you (might) remember. After you paste the seed in the "calculate initial pidrng frame" button will tell you the actual number.

Uh, unfortunately it seems I'm still having issues. After reading the two posts, I started from scratch because I realized I had failed to account for synchronize and successfully calculated my initial frame and everything. I found a nice seed where both the target and initial frame was 32 and decided to try and hit that (so I wouldn't have to worry about advancements at all then because I currently lack a Chatot and am relying on saving.) The default nature was also Jolly, so I figured if I hit that I wouldn't have to worry if Sych failed.
Ditto PRNG Timer Finder 2.png

Ditto PRNG Timer Finder 2.png

So, I set my clock and sweet scented, and after getting a Clefairy or two I ran into a Ditto. However, its IVs weren't anything close to what I wanted, so I ran a little seed verification check and weirdly, it seems I hit my seed.
Ditto Seed Confirmation 2.png

I was really confused, so I decided I'd hit another seed where I needed to hit a frame and the nature wasn't jolly in case maybe either of those factors messed it up. The initial frame was 32 as well and my target frame is 33. Following the equation, I figured I would need to do one advance then.
Ditto PRNG Time Finder 3.png

I hit my seed and did one save advance and sure enough, I found a jolly Ditto. But like the previous time, I got none of the IVs I wanted.
Ditto Seed Confirmation 3.png

Sorry if the pictures clutter the page up a bit, I just figured they would be helpful. But anyways, I'm not sure if I'm just missing something here or otherwise what is going on. :(

Attachments

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Nidoqueen when you search for seeds, you need to select method "IVs (standard seed)" not PIDRNG in the Time Finder. The rng reporter will just ignore the IVs you enter if you do it the way you are (causing you to not get your desired IVs as you have seen). I'd recommend not inputting the IVs in the main window though (the window who's picture is an attachment/the window that has the calculate initial frame button), as that will make it harder to find the frame you actually hit. Other than that, your procedure looks right. :) When you change the method in the Time Finder, keep the min/max frame set to 1. You'll have to check each seed manually for a low target frame since there isn't a way to set that in this mode (based on what you're searching for).

Note that because you're searching for hex flawless, you will may have to search over many months/years to find it. You could also try increasing the number of keypresses you do. It will make the searches take longer, but it will search across more seeds. Don't be surprised if you don't find a seed immediately. It's out there though, so you just have to keep searching.

Hello everyone,

I've got few questions regarding rng in pokemon white 2 on my new 3ds xl. I'm trying to hit seed for 6iv legendary pokemon.

1. Looking at the timing I should turn on the game with subtracted 8 seconds. E.g. If the time is 12:07:18 then I should turn my game exactly at 12:07:10 right?

2. I've found couple of equations relating to advancing frames and I've been using this one (target Frame) - (initial value) - (starting frame) + 1 =advances required. My calculation is 25-1-1+1=24 is it actually correct?

3. This is another example of equation, Advancements = (IV target Frame - 8 - [13 * slots before current slot] ÷ 2 what is the slot before current slot?

4. Considering the fact that my target Frame is 25 in question 2, I was unable to get any perfect iv on 24 advancement, although if i advanced the frames by 25 I've managed to get 5 perfect iv except speed which is 0 iv (this was done with 8 second subtraction)

5. I'm advancing my frames by walking (128 steps with my 5 pokemons make it 5 frames every 128 steps

Anyone can help me out and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hi! Welcome to Smogon ^_^

Tbh I'm not sure if there were enough hardware changes to the new 3DS to warrant changing the default parameters for the 3ds while calibrating. If you' have gone through the calibration process successfully though then I guess it should be fine. With that being said:

1. Assuming you got 8 seconds from calibration, that's right. You don't have to be "exact" with it, just accurate to the second.

2. Yup, that's right for a standard stationary encounter (or wild Pokemon even).

3. When doing Dream Radar RNG, you can hold up to 6 Pokemon (i.e. you have 6 slots). So if you are trying to RNG the third Pokemon out of the 6, you would have 2 occupied slots before it. #2 pokemon would have 1, #4 would have 3, etc.

4. It's possible that you didn't hit your seed because of Timer0 trolling. That would cause you to not get the right IVs. Best way to check is to note the IVs you got and check the adjacent frames.

5. If you're aiming for frame 25, that would be too many advances, putting you on frame 26.

I'd recommend not going for anything other than a frame 1 spread. It'll make you life a lot easier in the end, even though it might take longer to find seeds. If you haven't gone through the process of calibrating yet, then I'd recommend doing that first before anything else as well.

Hi! Welcome to Smogon ^_^

Tbh I'm not sure if there were enough hardware changes to the new 3DS to warrant changing the default parameters for the 3ds while calibrating. If you' have gone through the calibration process successfully though then I guess it should be fine. With that being said:

1. Assuming you got 8 seconds from calibration, that's right. You don't have to be "exact" with it, just accurate to the second.

2. Yup, that's right for a standard stationary encounter (or wild Pokemon even).

3. When doing Dream Radar RNG, you can hold up to 6 Pokemon (i.e. you have 6 slots). So if you are trying to RNG the third Pokemon out of the 6, you would have 2 occupied slots before it. #2 pokemon would have 1, #4 would have 3, etc.

4. It's possible that you didn't hit your seed because of Timer0 trolling. That would cause you to not get the right IVs. Best way to check is to note the IVs you got and check the adjacent frames.

5. If you're aiming for frame 25, that would be too many advances, putting you on frame 26.

I'd recommend not going for anything other than a frame 1 spread. It'll make you life a lot easier in the end, even though it might take longer to find seeds. If you haven't gone through the process of calibrating yet, then I'd recommend doing that first before anything else as well.
Wow, did not expected answer in that amount of time. Amazing. Btw I'm not fat.

There is something in your writing that I'm a bit confused about. Okay, first thing is that I have calibrated properly since I got 9 out of 10 the same timer0. Anyway I've managed to get hidden grotto pokemon with this (chatot). That's I know it is the right timer0

Second thing, it's the answer to number 5. I know i should advance by 24 frames (I've done it with 4 pokemon in party) but whenever I make these 768 steps I end up having 0 ivs. IT would be really good if I could use chatot to advance these frames but I think it's only working on Pidrng or something.

By frame 1 spread you mean going with one pokemon every 128 steps? Because I've got another seed on frame 31 with 6 ivs but when I Have advanced the frames by 30 (5 poke in party) I end up with 0 ivs. I'm going to do a little experiment with 1 pokemon to advance frames by 31 (which will probably make me on 32). According to my calculation it will be 3968 steps, I will let you know about the result soon. EDIT/////////////
3968 - 31 frames terrakion
148 123 95 76 94 116 only speed iv

2944 - 23 frames terrakion
140 125 95 77 90 99 quiet capable of hits

768 - 24 frames with 4 poke Virizion
naive likes to trash about
141 95 70 90 16 122

I have been using one pokemon to hit frame 32 but only perfect iv I got is speed

Coming back to my first result (25 target Frame) here i used 1 pokemon too but to check it a bit earlier - i advanced by 23 frames so i was on 24. But still nothing

I've also changed pokemon i have been using, from terrakion to virizion. This time i performed with 4 pokemons to hit frame 25 yet still 0 perfect ivs.
Here is my picture, I think everything is okay here.

EDIT//////
I wanted to make sure it's working I came back to hidden grotto and wanted to rng chatot again. However it did not work, after few tries I've managed to get one but something was not right. The only thing that was a problem is the "actual seconds" - it's really important but nobody mentioned that in tutorial. If it is 12 seconds then it is from the game freak logo to the button when you start the game. Now it every time works with hidden grotto. Now i will try with legendary and will get back here later.
Sorry for triple post but It's important.

I finally got the 6iv. The problem was with actual seconds which I did not took to consideration. I can confirm that on New 3DS XL, this method still works. Here's a picture from me.

Moderator edit: Merging posts and removing huge, irrelevant image.

Last edited by a moderator:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Congrats on getting it! Just to address some questions you posed before: Since you were aiming for a frame 25 spread and you start on IV frame 1, you needed to do 24 IV frame advancements. Your original comment "I'm advancing my frames by walking (128 steps with my 5 pokemons make it 5 frames every 128 steps" would not allow you to hit frame 25 (you'd either be hitting frame 21 or 26).

As for the "frame 1 spread", I was referring to only searching for IV frames of 1. That would mean you don't have to run around at all. That frame range of 1-300 that you searched on in the Time Finder is for the IV frame. I was suggesting that you keep the Min/Max frame set to 1. (And yeah, chatot only affect the PIDRNG, not the IVRNG)

The actual seconds is the seconds of the time your game seeded. You need to take the difference between that time and the time you enter into the Parameter Searcher, and subtract that difference from the time of your seed. Ultimately that is what you did, but you just needed to find out that the difference was 12 and not 8 (if I'm reading your post correctly). :)

Congrats on getting it! Just to address some questions you posed before: Since you were aiming for a frame 25 spread and you start on IV frame 1, you needed to do 24 IV frame advancements. Your original comment "I'm advancing my frames by walking (128 steps with my 5 pokemons make it 5 frames every 128 steps" would not allow you to hit frame 25 (you'd either be hitting frame 21 or 26).

As for the "frame 1 spread", I was referring to only searching for IV frames of 1. That would mean you don't have to run around at all. That frame range of 1-300 that you searched on in the Time Finder is for the IV frame. I was suggesting that you keep the Min/Max frame set to 1. (And yeah, chatot only affect the PIDRNG, not the IVRNG)

The actual seconds is the seconds of the time your game seeded. You need to take the difference between that time and the time you enter into the Parameter Searcher, and subtract that difference from the time of your seed. Ultimately that is what you did, but you just needed to find out that the difference was 12 and not 8 (if I'm reading your post correctly). :)
Yeah, the 5 frame advancement was for different seed (31).

If I search for min and max frame of 1. The equation will be (1-1-1+1=0), I'm assuming I have to start the battle as soon as I get into game?

No, you got that completely wrong as well as I do i think. Read below.

I was happy with my 6iv legendary but not for long. I have changed the date again to match the one for (31 target frame) where i could have 5 pokemons with me. Well it did not work so i went back to my 4 pokemons and target frame 25 but it did not work either and I only changed the date/time and pokemons. Whats really weird is that the hidden grotto pokemon (chatot) appears every time in performing rng so I've got no problem or whatsoever.

The default action i perform:

Change date and synchronize time with clock.
Run the game (8 seconds before)
Dont press anything until the game freak logo appears (shooting star) - this is where i started to count these 12 seconds (otherwise the chatot is not appearing)
Make sure the c gear is off and press ok to go into the game as soon as the 12 second appears on my timer
Now i just use repels and start the 768 steps with my 5 poke to advance by 30 frames.

I have used this method to get my 6 iv terrakion. Now it does not work

I will look for 1 min and max frame once i get on pc (tomorrow)

Edit
What do you mean by your answer number 1:

How do you know the second from calibration? I took this number from different forum from a person who also had 3ds

Edit ////////////
I found a topic about calibration and the offset varied depending on how long I have waited in loading screen. The most common one is 7 not 8 - that could be the issue since I've managed to hit my seed 3 times. I have also found new seed with frame 1 so I will be testing it as soon as I get on my 3ds. I will post results later.

Last edit///////
Well I think it should be 7 seconds but I think I might be delaying by 1 second and 8 seconds works like a charm, and to mention last thing which is perfect timing and keypresses which needs to be exactly the same. Finally got my 6iv three musketeers and now going to get rest of legends. Thank you for all the help

Last edited:
Hi experts,

I tried to get an adament Dragonite with 5iv(everything except SpA) in the hidden grotto. I was able to find the Dragonite and get the ivs right more at least 3 times but synchronize doesn't seem to work. The frame was forced to be 1 so I did not have to advance it (I haven't got any success with that yet). I have an adamant synchronize Elgyem at the beginning of the group. I also tried to soft reset and save again after seeing the wrong nature. Any idea what I've done wrong? I'm using White 2, English version on a NDSL. Thanks.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hi experts,

I tried to get an adament Dragonite with 5iv(everything except SpA) in the hidden grotto. I was able to find the Dragonite and get the ivs right more at least 3 times but synchronize doesn't seem to work. The frame was forced to be 1 so I did not have to advance it (I haven't got any success with that yet). I have an adamant synchronize Elgyem at the beginning of the group. I also tried to soft reset and save again after seeing the wrong nature. Any idea what I've done wrong? I'm using White 2, English version on a NDSL. Thanks.
Although your IV frame may be one, you probably need to advance the PIDRNG frame. My guess is that your starting frame isn't synchable, so you'll need to advance it by saving or viewing the summary of a Chatot with a custom-recorded chatter before you interact with the Pokemon. To figure out how many advances you need to do, copy your seed into the main window and follow the set up described here (you'll only need to check the Memory link box if you have used it, and you'll want to select Adamant from the Synchronize drop-down). Right before you click the generate button, make sure you hit the "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button. That will show you your initial frame in the "starting frame" field. You'll need to advance the frame to one with a bolded nature.

For example, if your starting frame is 50 and there's a bolded nature on frame 55, you'll want to hit your seed, advance the frame 5 times, and then interact with your Pokemon.

So, uh, I'm trying to figure out how White Forest abuse works, but I can't anything on it. Of course, you need the trainer that can trigger the Pokemon you want (I want a Porygon because it should allow me to get better IV spreads because finding Poke Radar perfects is annoying) but Sweet Scent won't work...Do you just hit your Seed and hope you get an encounter?

So, uh, I'm trying to figure out how White Forest abuse works, but I can't anything on it. Of course, you need the trainer that can trigger the Pokemon you want (I want a Porygon because it should allow me to get better IV spreads because finding Poke Radar perfects is annoying) but Sweet Scent won't work...Do you just hit your Seed and hope you get an encounter?
I didn't know Poyrgon even appeared with the PokéRadar. If you don't figure out White Forest, you can use the Trophy Garden in Diamond/Pearl.

I didn't know Poyrgon even appeared with the PokéRadar. If you don't figure out White Forest, you can use the Trophy Garden in Diamond/Pearl.
PokéRadar works for every Grass Pokemon as far as I know so Porygon should be PokéRadarable, right? =P It can allow for better spreads against the regular spreads that exist in gen 4. I got a 31/02/31/31/31/31 Bold Togepi for example, whereas the lowest Atk for Method 1 is 31/14/31/31/31/31 and 31/08/31/31/31/31 for Cute Charmables.

PokéRadar works for every Grass Pokemon as far as I know so Porygon should be PokéRadarable, right? =P It can allow for better spreads against the regular spreads that exist in gen 4. I got a 31/02/31/31/31/31 Bold Togepi for example, whereas the lowest Atk for Method 1 is 31/14/31/31/31/31 and 31/08/31/31/31/31 for Cute Charmables.
Oh of course, I was thinking of PokeRadar exclusives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)