Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Heracross @ Heracronite

Ability: Guts

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Close Combat

- Pin Missile

- Rock Blast

- Swords Dance

Bisharp @ Dread Plate

Ability: Defiant

Jolly Nature

- Knock Off

- Sucker Punch

- Iron Head

- Pursuit

Shuckle @ Mental Herb

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 SpD

Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Sticky Web

- Stealth Rock

- Toxic

- Encore

Thundurus-Therian @ Leftovers

Ability: Volt Absorb

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Focus Blast

- Nasty Plot

Latias @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Psychic

- Thunderbolt

- Healing Wish

Azumarill @ Choice Band

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Aqua Jet

- Play Rough

- Knock Off

- Waterfall

I've got this sticky web which I've been working on for a while and it's been doing pretty well, but i'm unsure of which thundurus I should use. Thundurus-I allows me to paralyze pokemon that aren't affected by webs as well as slowing down pokemon if webs aren't up, making heracross' job easier. On the other hand, Thundurus-T offers a bit more immediate power and is my only way to stop volt switch shenanigans. Both have their merits, but I can't decide which is better for my team. Opinions?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heracross @ Heracronite

Jolly Nature

- Close Combat

- Pin Missile

- Rock Blast

- Swords Dance

Bisharp @ Dread Plate

Ability: Defiant

Jolly Nature

- Knock Off

- Sucker Punch

- Iron Head

- Pursuit

Shuckle @ Mental Herb

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 SpD

Bold Nature

- Sticky Web

- Stealth Rock

- Toxic

- Encore

Thundurus-Therian @ Leftovers

Ability: Volt Absorb

Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Focus Blast

- Nasty Plot

Latias @ Life Orb

EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Psychic

- Thunderbolt

- Healing Wish

Azumarill @ Choice Band

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Aqua Jet

- Play Rough

- Knock Off

- Waterfall

I've got this sticky web which I've been working on for a while and it's been doing pretty well, but i'm unsure of which thundurus I should use. Thundurus-I allows me to paralyze pokemon that aren't affected by webs as well as slowing down pokemon if webs aren't up, making heracross' job easier. On the other hand, Thundurus-T offers a bit more immediate power and is my only way to stop volt switch shenanigans. Both have their merits, but I can't decide which is better for my team. Opinions?
I personally think the team benefits much more from Thundurus-T as VoltTurn currently rips it apart, so having any way of preventing at least some of it is a huge positive. Additionally, due to its somewhat disappointing speed tier, it benefits much more from webs than Thundy-I does.

Additionally, I feel that the team really needs some way of clearing hazards due to Thundy's weakness to rocks and the team's overall weakness to spikes stacking teams. Therefore, I suggest using Defog>Thunderbolt on Latias and playing Shuckle more conservatively, as its ability to lay hazards multiple times throughout the match is a big part of why it is the best webber, and the team doesn't really need Thunderbolt as Thundurus deals with all of its targets for obvious reasons.

Finally, your team currently struggles v.s. all of Quagsire, Gastrodon and Seismitoad (in particular Quagsire), and the team doesn't particularly struggle v.s. Garchomp due to it losing to both Azumarill and Heracross (+2 Hera OHKOs standard tankchomp (+2 252 Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 425-510 (101.9 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Therefore, I suggest using HP Grass>HP Ice on Thundurus to lure them and take them out.
I debated suggesting Grass Knot>Pursuit on Bisharp (solid 2HKO v.s. both Quag and Seismitoad w/ LO+Hasty), but I decided against it as Pursuit improves Bisharp's defog-blocking ability by allowing it to trap Lati@s, and Grass Knot fails to 2HKO Gastrodon, resulting in it being an ineffective lure move for the team.

Could a kind soul help me decide on a final member of this team if you wouldn't mind? You know incomplete RMT's and whatnot.

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

Klefki @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force / Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Looking at it, I think Talonflame would complement your team nicely. Your team can lose to Clefable potentially, and smth like Serperior threatens your build since the counter is t waving w/ keys. Bird makes you a tad less Scizor weak as well so that's smth to consider. Another one I'd think about is Life Orb Excadrill because <3 driller and it helps out with the clef match up, though I wouldn't pick it over tflame with the dudes u currently have.

Though if you do go with Talonflame, you sorta dislike facing electrics (GK Thundurus for example) so it's best you explore other options and get other opinions on this. Good luck tho :]

Last edited:
I think fast SD has merit in it outpacing Raikou and Thund but it really depends on the way you play / how comfortable you are w/ it. I'd try out several sets and pick the one with the best results

So I've got a Naive HP Ice Pidgey which I've just hatched and I am looking to add it to my Smogon trade thread, both UT and a battle ready version.

What's the best EV spread at the moment? Standard 252/252/4

So I've got a Naive HP Ice Pidgey which I've just hatched and I am looking to add it to my Smogon trade thread, both UT and a battle ready version.

What's the best EV spread at the moment? Standard 252/252/4
Yes, but that hidden power isn't too great

What are the official definitions for check and counter?
Quick version: a counter is able to switch in on anything, one hundred percent of the time, and force out or kill. A check can switch in on certain moves, but not all, and can be defined as hard check or soft check depending on how much it takes coming in or how common a certain coverage move is.

What are the official definitions for check and counter?
To elaborate on what AM said because it could be confusing, the definition of check and counter is not set in stone by any means. It also depends on what kind of team you are building, as offense tends to carry "softer" checks and balanced and stall have a more rigid definition of a check. Really check and counter is subjective and varies by player.

To elaborate on what AM said because it could be confusing, the definition of check and counter is not set in stone by any means. It also depends on what kind of team you are building, as offense tends to carry "softer" checks and balanced and stall have a more rigid definition of a check. Really check and counter is subjective and varies by player.
Thanks, that makes sense.

*srs face*
If I have a team, and it's not very good because it's really early in development, and also because I suck, if I want to ask for general improvements, is that a simple question or does it belong somewhere in the RMT forum? I feel it's far too early to make a thread.

also why does everyone and their mother insist on using Toxic on my Chesnaught?

Hey guys, how viable is a sitrus berry as an item on Hoopa-U. I've seen it a couple times, and am wondering whether or not it has any viability. Your thoughts?

Does anyone have a good, offensive hazard remover that doesn't use the life orb or expert belt?
Latias and starmie can still be considered offensive hazard removers even if they run lefties imo. I can't see why you'd be worried about using those items, it's not like OU has item restrictions.

Latios can also run scarf/trick with Defog I guess.

will magic bounce work on yawn? someone mentioned it as a way mega camerupt could force out mega sableye in the rankings thread, but I never thought about whether it could or not. I don't think it could, since it is a status-inducing move, but just wanted to check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)