Calm Mind Raikou (revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Volt Switch / Substitute
item: Leftovers
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind not only increases Raikou's firepower, enabling it to break through Pokemon that would otherwise check it such as Heatran, Mew, Jirachi, and Celebi, as well as clean weakened teams, but also its special bulk, preventing Pokemon like Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, and Mega Alakazam from dealing much damage to it. Thunderbolt is a powerful, reliable Electric STAB move with no drawbacks. Hidden Power Ice gives Raikou almost perfect coverage alongside Thunderbolt; specifically, it deals a huge amount of damage to Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor, as well as Dragon-types such as Latios and Altaria and certain Grass-types such as Serperior. Volt Switch enables Raikou to keep offensive momentum going, which makes it far more useful early on in the battle and enables its teammates to come in for free. Volt Switch also helps Raikou wear down its checks so that it can more easily sweep late-game, as well as bluff an Assault Vest set more convincingly, especially when carrying a Zap Plate. Substitute has multiple uses, such as enabling Raikou to evade status moves from Pokemon such as Heatran, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Rotom , and Jirachi and safely set up Calm Mind on them, helping it scout for switches (particularly from opposing Volt Switch users), and letting it evade Bisharp's Sucker Punch.

Set Details
========

Running maximum Speed with a Timid nature enables Raikou to fully take advantage of its great Speed tier, letting it outspeed Serperior and Speed tie with Starmie and opposing Raikou. The remaining EVs are put into Special Attack for as much firepower as possible. A bulkier EV spread can be used on the Substitute set in order for Raikou to set up more easily on certain Pokemon at the expense of power; for instance, a spread of 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe guarantees that uninvested Heatran's Lava Plume will never break Raikou's Substitute after one Calm Mind boost. Leftovers gives Raikou more longevity, helps it set up Calm Mind more reliably, and enables it to set up Substitute more often (particularly against low-accuracy moves such as Rotom-W's Hydro Pump and Thundurus's Focus Blast) provided that it's running the move. However, a Zap Plate can be used when running Volt Switch in order to bluff a Choice Specs or Assault Vest set. It also gives Raikou the ability to 2HKO standard Clefable after a Calm Mind boost. Pressure is Raikou's only ability, helping it against Pokemon that rely on attacking moves with low PP such as Serperior and Overheat Mega Manectric.

Usage Tips
========

Raikou should be sent in against Pokemon it can easily set up on, such as Thundurus, Rotom-W, Mega Manectric, Jirachi, and opposing Raikou. However, don't let Raikou take too much damage for it to properly set up later on. Volt Switch should be used frequently in the early- and mid- game in order to maintain offensive momentum and wear down Raikou's checks, both of which are invaluable during these stages of the battle. However, if your opponent has Hippowdon, avoid using Volt Switch because that will give it a free turn to enter the battlefield, and double switch if you feel the need to. Substitute should be used against predicted uses of Volt Switch, Sucker Punch, and status moves. After one or two Calm Mind boosts, Raikou can also use it on predicted uses of Scald and Lava Plume in order to avoid a potential burn. Against offensive teams, do not attempt to set up Calm Mind; instead, rely on either Volt Switch for generating momentum or Substitute for scouting, depending on which one Raikou carries. However, when facing more defensive teams, don't reveal Calm Mind or Substitute too early, and only use them when you are ready to sweep with Raikou and have determined your opponent's response to it. That way, you can take advantage of the opponent sending in a Pokemon like Heatran, Venusaur, Jirachi, or his own Raikou to switch into yours. In the specific cases of Heatran and Venusaur, Raikou should try to set up Calm Mind immediately as they switch in; otherwise, it may not be able to beat them. If Raikou carries Substitute, your opponent will rely less on status moves and more on offensive moves to pressure Raikou once they know it does, so you can play around that by setting up Calm Mind instead. Before setting up, make sure that slower checks such as Hippowdon and Latias have been weakened to a range where they can be KOed by +1 Hidden Power Ice. Don't set up unless faster, physically offensive revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Sand Rush Excadrill, and Mega Lopunny have been removed, as they can easily prevent a sweep.

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Raikou fits very well on teams that want a boosting wincon as well as an answer to Electric-types such as Thundurus, Mega Manectric, Rotom-W, and opposing Raikou. Make sure that Raikou is paired up with answers to fast, powerful physical attackers that can easily dispose of it, particularly Mega Charizard X, which easily sets up on it. This can be a bulky Ground-type such as Landorus-T or Hippowdon, as well as a Water-type such as Manaphy or Slowbro. Garchomp is particularly good in this role because it can easily wear them down; however, it does not beat Mega Charizard X and therefore needs to be paired up with a check to it. Raikou also needs to be paired up with an answer to Ground-types such as Excadrill and Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Skarmory is particularly good because it can switch into Dragon- and Fairy-types, both of which can be difficult for Raikou to handle, and provide Spikes support to help Raikou break past its checks. Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Grass-types such as Serperior can also handle Ground-types and benefit from Raikou's ability to break past Venusaur. Raikou appreciates support from Pokemon that can either weaken or surprise Ground-types. For instance, Jolly Mega Charizard X can weaken Hippowdon and Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and in return, Raikou handles Water-types and can bait in Heatran. Mega Metagross is also a solid partner for its ability to wear down Ground-types and check Dragon- and Grass-types, while Raikou handles Steel- and Water-types in return. Because most Pokemon that can check or counter Calm Mind Raikou, such as Chansey, Clefable and Choice Scarf Ground-types, rely on their items to do so, a Knock Off user that some of these Pokemon tend to switch into, such as Alakazam, Mega Gallade, or mixed Thundurus, can serve as a good teammate to Raikou. Talonflame is an excellent partner as well because it is immune to Ground, checks Fairies, can revenge kill physical attackers, and can also weaken bulky Water-types. In return, Raikou handles Electric- and Water-types, which are very threatening for Talonflame. Both Raikou and its usual partners are vulnerable to Weavile, so make sure your team is adequately prepared to face it by carrying a check to it such as Keldeo, Mega Scizor, Azumarill, which also checks other huge threats to Raikou such as Mega Charizard X and Sand Rush Excadrill, or Klefki, which can help Raikou wear down its checks with Spikes support. If running Volt Switch, U-turn users such as Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, and Scizor also act as good partners.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I think an umbrella CM set is fine.

As for team options I'd mention Lando-T, I think it's a better option than Chomp actually since it checks opposing ground types better, can run Knock Off which is one of the team options you already suggested, and can also make use of U-turn to get Raikou in on the likes of Rotom or Skarmory. Also Earth Plate and SD sets lure in and weaken a lot of Raikous checks like Ferro, Venu, and Hippo if SD.

either land-t or chomp work lol

u can run slowbro or smthn as ur zard-x check if ur usin chomp.. both are fine and chomp does the same exact thing of weakening grounds except a lot better

Reactions: AM

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What dice said

QC 1/3 not a whole lot to say other than

tempted to divide this into two sets b/c they perform pretty differently, not sure if volt+CM merts its own set though.
Preferably no their roles aren't that different both function in a pretty similar fashion.

When I think of answers to Ground-types, I think more along the lines of bulky Water- or Grass-types, because while Landorus-T does check them defensively, it can't do much back to them unless it's Swords Dance or Offensive Earth Plate, which should be mentioned over Scarf because it wears down a lot of Raikou's checks (as bludz posted earlier). Still, I'd rather see mons like Roar Suicune (phazes out opposing CM users, which can aid Raikou greatly against annoying mons like Clefable) or a more offensive partner such as Serperior mentioned before Lando-T. This does leave you with a core vulnerable to Mega Venusaur, so make sure to emphasize having a teammate that threatens it such as Lati@s or SpDef Talonflame.

2/3

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually mentioned Lando-T as a Ground-type, not a check to Ground-types, so I probably worded that badly.

Also, pairing up Raikou with something weak to Venusaur can actually be a good thing imo. Raikou can actually lure Venusaur rather well thanks to Pressure effectively cutting down Synthesis's PP to 4, and Calm Mind preventing it from taking much damage from Sludge Bomb (at +2 offensive MVenu deals 29% max so unless it gets poisoned it can usually win or at least severely weaken Venu). This especially applies to bulky variants which aren't even guaranteed to break its sub at +1. From my experience at least, MVenu can't really handle Sub CM Raikou especially when it's given a free turn.

This is ready for the 3rd check.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Yea defensive Venu is frankly a terrible check to this Raik and offensive doesn't do much better

A mon I've paired this with a lot to pretty decent results is Mega Metagross, gross really chips a lot of Raikou checks like Grounds really nicely so is probably worth a mention

Idk how you'd do this but it might be worth mentioning somewhere that a resisted Tbolt is stronger than a neutral HP Ice, even on lefties sets, it's not crucial information but it helps when playing w/ Raik

Albacore

Idk how you'd do this but it might be worth mentioning somewhere that a resisted Tbolt is stronger than a neutral HP Ice, even on lefties sets, it's not crucial information but it helps when playing w/ Raik
Don't think I'm really supposed to mention things which pertain to game mechanics and type charts. I've seen a huge amount of Raikous (and Electric-types in general) that go around HP Icing Thundys and Venus and Ferros though so I definitely don't mind mentioning it, but if I do it should probably be mentioned on all other Raikou sets and Electric types just for consistency's sake which currently isn't the case, and that would be kind of a pain to implement.

just an fyi, pressure only reduces the pp of moves that /target/ the user, so healing moves are unaffected. it doesn't change the fact that with a boost it can sub up and eventually take down mega venu at +5, but really rotom-w's hydro pump (at +2) and ferrothorn's gyro ball (which breaks subs and thus you need to be @ full health) are the notable moves that can be stalled out with pressure, i believe. the former case won't even come up often against decent players and the latter one doesn't put you in an advantageous position unless you have a setup fairy waiting in the wings or smth so i really don't think the ability is really even worth mentioning at all

Last edited:

Albacore

just an fyi, pressure only reduces the pp of moves that /target/ the user, so healing moves are unaffected. it doesn't change the fact that with a boost it can sub up and eventually take down mega venu at +5, but really rotom-w's hydro pump (at +2) and ferrothorn's gyro ball (which breaks subs and thus you need to be @ full health) are the notable moves that can be stalled out with pressure, i believe. the former case won't even come up often against decent players and the latter one doesn't put you in an advantageous position unless you have a setup fairy waiting in the wings or smth so i really don't think the ability is really even worth mentioning at all
I somehow completely forgot Perssure only works on targeted moves, tahnks for pointing that out.

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
i've used a lot of Raikou lately; it's one of the best 'mons to fit on teams where you want a solid electric check but can't afford to run a reliable ground, as in, when i'm not using hippowdon, which is a lot. CM Volt Switch is the best set imo, i'd personally make it the first slash but if you feel strongly about it feel free to discuss it here. It's so easily splashable, is a good pivot and also a solid win condition vs an array of teams as well as checking one of the most difficult mons to check (thundurus). I'd also just make Zap Plate an item mentioned in set details without a slash, it's OK to use but it's not usually the optimal item. Leftovers is just generally better, as, even with Zap Plate, Raikou's attacks still do lackluster damage, whereas leftovers is greatly appreciated to increase Raikou's longevity.

Also cool find on the bulky Sub CM Spread!

QC 3/3

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Damnit TDK you ninja'd my first QC :(

Main thing I had to say was pairing Raikou with Chomp/Lando/ground type means Weavile is sort of a threat. Keldeo is a good partner for checking Weavile, Scarftar (and Bisharp more reliably if not running Sub), threatening ground types / sand offense and helping to pressure grass types.

Albacore

I personally prefer Substitute, but there are a lot of times where I really wished I had Volt Switch, espeically in early battle when Raikou can be kind of a liability and a momentum drainer, ironically enough for a Pokemon usually used to gain momentum in the first please, so I'm completely fine with slashing it first. I changed to text around to reflect the fact that Volt Switch is considered the preffered

And yeah, Raikou teams tend to be pretty damn Weavile-weak so that's defenitely worth mentioning, added that in too (thugh I personally prefer Azu as a partner most of the time since it checks Exca and XZard both of which are huge problems for Raikou).

This is now GP ready

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[SET]
move 3: Hidden Power [Ice] Ice

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind is a great move for Raikou, not only increasing its increases Raikou's firepower, (AC) enabling it to break through Pokemon like Heatran, Mew, Jirachi, (AC) and Celebi that would otherwise check it, as well as clean weakened teams, but also its special bulk, preventing Pokemon like Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, (AC) and Mega Alakazam from dealing much damage to it. Thunderbolt is a powerful, reliable Electric STAB move with no drawbacks. Hidden Power Ice gives Raikou almost perfect coverage alongside TBolt Thunderbolt; (SC) specifically, it deals a huge amount of damage to Garchomp, Landorus-T, (AC) and Gliscor, as well as Dragon-types like such as Latios and Altaria and certain Grass-types like such as Serperior. Volt Switch enables Raikou to keep offensive momentum going, making (is Raikou more useful or is Volt Switch? If it's Volt Switch you're talking about, change it to "which makes") it far more useful early on in the battle, and enables its teammates to come in for free. Volt Switch also helps Raikou wear down its checks so that it can more easily sweep late-game, (add hyphen) as well as bluff an Assault Vest set more convincingly, especially when carrying a Zap Plate. Substitute is also a great move for Raikou, it has multiple uses, (AC) such as enabling it Raikou to evade status from pokemon such as Heatran, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Rotom, (AC) and Jirachi and safely set up Calm Minds on them, helps helping it scout for switches (particularly from opposing Volt Switch users), (AC) and lets letting it evade Sucker Punches from Bisharp.

Set Details
========

Running Max maximum Speed with a Timid nature enables Raikou to fully take advantage of its great speed tier, letting it outspeed Serperior and tie with Starmie and opposing Raikou. The rest is put into Special Attack for as much firepower as possible. A bulkier spread can be used on the Substitute set (RC)) in order for Raikou to set up more easily on certain Pokemon at the expense of power; (SC) for instance, a spread of 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe guarantees that 0 SpA uninvested Heatran will never break Raikou's Substitute with a Lava Plume, as long as it has already set up a Calm Mind. Leftovers gives Rakou more longevity, helps it more reliably set up Calm Minds, (AC) and, if running Substitute, enables it to set up many per battle (particularly against low-accuracy (add hyphen) moves like such as Rotom-W's Hydro Pump and Thundurus's Focus Blast). However, a Zap Plate can be used alongside when running Volt Switch in order to bluff a Choice Specs or Assault Vest set. It also gives Raikou the ability to 2HKO standard Clefable after a Calm Mind boost. Pressure is Raikou's only availible ability ability, helping it against Pokemon that rely on offensive attacking moves with low PP like like such as Serperior and Overheat Mega Manectric.

Usage Tips
========

Raikou should be sent in against the Pokemon it can easily set up on, like such as Thundurus, Rotom-W, Mega Manectric, Jirachi, and opposing Raikou. However, don't let Raikou take too much damage so that it can for it to properly set up later on. Volt Switch is to be used frequently early on, in order to not lose offensive momentum, (AC) which is invaluable during that stage of the battle. However, (comma) if your opponent has Hippowdon, avoid using Volt Switch since because that wimm will give it a free turn, and double switch if you feel the need to. Substitute should be used against predicted Volt Switches, Sucker Punches, and status moves. After one of two Calm Minds, you Raikou can also use it on predicted Scalds and Lava Plumes, in order to avoid a potential burn. Against offensive teams, do not attempt to set up Calm Minds; (SC) instead, (AC) rely on either Volt Switch for generating momentum or Substitute for scouting, depending on which you carry Raikou carries. However, when facing more defensive teams, don't reveal Calm Mind or Substitute too early, and only use them when you are ready to sweep with Raikou and have determined your opponent's respone to Raikou response to it. That way, you can take advantage of him sending in a Pokemon like Heatran, Venusaur, Jirachi, or his own Raikou to switch into yours. In the specific cases on of Heatran and Venusaur, you Raikou should try to set up Calm Mind immediately as they switch in; (SC0 otherwise, (AC) you it may not be able to beat them. If you carry Raikou carries Substitute, once your opponent knows you do Substitute, he your opponent will rely less on status moves and more on offensive moves to harm Raikou once he knows, so you can play around that by setting up Calm Minds instead. Before setting up, make sure slower checks like such as Hippowdon and Latias have been weakened to a range range where they can be KOed by +1 HP Ice. Don't set up unless faster, physically offensive revenge killers like such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Sad Sand (lol) Rush Excadrill and Mega Lopunny have been removed, since as they can easily prevent a sweep. If running Volt Switch, use it frequently early- and mid-game, in order to wear down Raikou's checks.

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Raikou fits very well on teams which that want a boosting win condition wincon as well as an answer to Electric-types (remove space) like such as Thundurus, Mega Manectric, Rotom-W, (AC) and opposing Raikou. Make sure Raikou is paired up with answers to fast, powerful physical attackers that can easily dispose of it, particulalry particularly Mega Charizard X, (AC) which easily sets up on it. This can be a bulky Ground-type like such as Landorus-T or Hippowdon, or a Water-type (add hyphen) like Manaphy or Slowbro. Garchomp is particularly good in this role, (AC) since because it can easily wear them down; (SC) however, (AC) it does not beat Mega Charizard X (RC, remove hyphen) and therefore needs to be paired up with a check to it. Raikou also needs to be paired up with an answer to Ground-types like such as Excadrill and Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Skarmory is particularly good since because it can switch into Dragon- and Fairy-types, both of which can be difficult for it Raikou to handle, and provding provide Spikes support which helps to help Raikou break past its checks. Bulky Water-types like such as Suicune and Grass-types like Serperior can also handle Ground-types (add hyphen, RC) and benefit from Raikou's ability to break past Venusaur, if played correctly. Raikou appreciates support from Pokemon which that can either weaken or lure surprise Ground-types. For instance, Jolly Mega Charizard X can weaken Hippowdon and Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and in return, Raikou handles Water-types and can bait in Heatran. Mega Metagross is also a solid partner to Raikou for its ability to wear down Ground-types and check Dragon- and Grass-types, while Raikou handles Steel- and Water-types (space) in return. Because most Pokemon that can check or counter CM Calm Mind Raikou, such as Chansey, Clefable and Scarfed Grounds Choice Scarf Ground-types, rely on their items to do so, (comma) Therefore, a Knock Off user that some of these Pokemon tend to switch into, like such as Alakazam, (wat is that actually a thing now :o ) Mega Gallade, (AC) and or mixed Thundurus can serve as a good teammates to Raikou. Talonflame is an excellent partner to Raikou since as well because it provides a Ground immunity, a Fairy check, and a revenge killer of physical attackers (RC) and can also weaken bulky waters Water-types, and in return, Raikou handles Electric- and Water-types (remove space) that are very threatening for it. Both Raikou and his its usual partners are vulnerable to Weavile, so make sure your team is adequately prepared to face it by carrying a check to it like such as Keldeo, Mega Scizor, Azumarill, (AC) which also checks other huge threats to Raikou like Charizard X (remove hyphen) and Sand Rush Excadrill, or Klefki, (AC) which can help Raikou wear down its checks with Spikes support. If running Volt Switch, U-turn users like such as Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, (AC) and Scizor also act as good partners.

Last edited:

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comment

[SET]
move 3: Hidden Power Ice

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind not only increases Raikou's firepower, enabling it to break through Pokemon like that would otherwise check it such as Heatran, Mew, Jirachi,(space)and Celebi that would otherwise check it, as well as clean weakened teams, but also its special bulk, preventing Pokemon like (tfw "like" is actually better than "such as...") Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, and Mega Alakazam from dealing much damage to it. Thunderbolt is a powerful, reliable Electric STAB move with no drawbacks. Hidden Power Ice gives Raikou almost perfect coverage alongside Thunderbolt; specifically, it deals a huge amount of damage to Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor, as well as Dragon-types such as Latios and Altaria and certain Grass-types such as Serperior. Volt Switch enables Raikou to keep offensive momentum going, which makes(space)it far more useful early on in the battle, (RC) and enables its teammates to come in for free. Volt Switch also helps Raikou wear down its checks so that it can more easily sweep late-game, as well as bluff an Assault Vest set more convincingly, especially when carrying a Zap Plate. Substitute has multiple uses, such as enabling Raikou to evade status moves from pokemon Pokemon such as Heatran, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Rotom (which one?), and Jirachi and safely set up Calm Minds on them, helping it scout for switches (particularly from opposing Volt Switch users), and letting it evade Bisharp's Sucker Punches from Bisharp.

Set Details
========

Running maximum Speed with a Timid nature enables Raikou to fully take advantage of its great speed Speed tier, letting it outspeed Serperior and Speed tie with Starmie and opposing Raikou. The rest is remaining EVs are put into Special Attack for as much firepower as possible. A bulkier EV spread can be used on the Substitute set(space)in order for Raikou to set up more easily on certain Pokemon at the expense of power; for instance, a spread of 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe guarantees that uninvested Heatran's Lava Plume will never break Raikou's Substitute with a Lava Plume, as long as it has already set up a after one Calm Mind boost. Leftovers gives Raikou more longevity, helps it more reliably set up Calm Minds more reliably, and, if running Substitute, enables it to set up many per battle Substitute more often (particularly against low-accuracy moves such as Rotom-W's Hydro Pump and Thundurus's Focus Blast) provided that it's running the move. However, a Zap Plate can be used when running Volt Switch in order to bluff a Choice Specs or Assault Vest set. It also gives Raikou the ability to 2HKO standard Clefable after a Calm Mind boost. Pressure is Raikou's only ability, helping it against Pokemon that rely on attacking moves with low PP such as Serperior and Overheat Mega Manectric.

Usage Tips
========

Raikou should be sent in against Pokemon it can easily set up on, such as Thundurus, Rotom-W, Mega Manectric, Jirachi, and opposing Raikou. However, don't let Raikou take too much damage for it to properly set up later on. Volt Switch is to should be used frequently in the early- and mid- game on, in order to not lose maintain offensive momentum and wear down Raikou's checks,(space)both of which is are invaluable during that stage these stages of the battle. However, if your opponent has Hippowdon, avoid using Volt Switch because that will give it a free turn to enter the battlefield, and double switch if you feel the need to. Substitute should be used against predicted uses of Volt Switches, Sucker Punches, and status moves. After one of or two Calm Minds boosts, Raikou can also use it on predicted uses of Scalds and Lava Plumes, in order to avoid a potential burn. Against offensive teams, do not attempt to set up Calm Minds; instead, rely on either Volt Switch for generating momentum or Substitute for scouting, depending on which one Raikou carries. However, when facing more defensive teams, don't reveal Calm Mind or Substitute too early, and only use them when you are ready to sweep with Raikou and have determined your opponent's response to it. That way, you can take advantage of him the opponent sending in a Pokemon like (grrr... I still wanna use "such as" so badly but I can't) Heatran, Venusaur, Jirachi, or his own Raikou to switch into yours. In the specific cases of Heatran and Venusaur, Raikou should try to set up Calm Mind immediately as they switch in; otherwise, it may not be able to beat them. If Raikou carries(space)Substitute, your opponent will rely less on status moves and more on offensive moves to harm pressure Raikou once they knows it does, so you can play around that by setting up Calm Minds instead. Before setting up, make sure that slower checks such as Hippowdon and Latias have been weakened to a range range where they can be KOed by +1 Hidden Power Ice. Don't set up unless faster, physically offensive revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Sand Rush Excadrill, (AC) and Mega Lopunny have been removed, as they can easily prevent a sweep. If running Volt Switch, use it frequently early- and mid-game in order to wear down Raikou's checks. (Redundant, so I merged this with the earlier sentence)

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Raikou fits very well on teams that want a boosting wincon as well as an answer to Electric-types such as Thundurus, Mega Manectric, Rotom-W, and opposing Raikou. Make sure that Raikou is paired up with answers to fast, powerful physical attackers that can easily dispose of it, particularly Mega Charizard X, which easily sets up on it. This can be a bulky Ground-type such as(space)Landorus-T or Hippowdon, or as well as a Water-type like such as Manaphy or Slowbro. Garchomp is particularly good in this role, (RC) because it can easily wear them down;(space)however, it does not beat Mega Charizard X(space)and therefore needs to be paired up with a check to it. Raikou also needs to be paired up with an answer to Ground-types such as(space)Excadrill and Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Skarmory is particularly good because it can switch into Dragon- and Fairy-types, both of which can be difficult for Raikou to handle, and provide Spikes support to help Raikou break past its checks. Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Grass-types like such as Serperior can also handle Ground-types and benefit from Raikou's ability to break past Venusaur, if played correctly (Is this necessary?). Raikou appreciates support from Pokemon that can either weaken or surprise Ground-types. For instance, Jolly Mega Charizard X can weaken Hippowdon and Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and in return, Raikou handles Water-types and can bait in Heatran. Mega Metagross is also a solid partner to Raikou for its ability to wear down Ground-types and check Dragon- and Grass-types, while Raikou handles Steel- and Water-types in return. Because most Pokemon that can check or counter Calm Mind Raikou, such as Chansey, Clefable and Choice Scarf Ground-types, rely on their items to do so, a Knock Off user that some of these Pokemon tend to switch into, such as Alakazam, Mega Gallade, or mixed Thundurus, (AC) can serve as a good teammates(space)to Raikou. Talonflame is an excellent partner as well because it provides a is immune to Ground immunity, a Fairy checks Fairies, and a can revenge killer of physical attackers, (AC) and can also weaken bulky Water-types. In, and in return, Raikou handles Electric- and Water-types, which that are very threatening for it Talonflame. Both Raikou and its usual partners are vulnerable to Weavile, so make sure your team is adequately prepared to face it by carrying a check to it such as Keldeo, Mega Scizor, Azumarill, which also checks other huge threats to Raikou like such as Mega Charizard X and Sand Rush Excadrill, or Klefki, which can help Raikou wear down its checks with Spikes support. If running Volt Switch, U-turn users such as Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, and Scizor also act as good partners.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)