Balanced Superpowers

Before I begin, I have to admit, I have no idea what I should call this team. It's basically six guys that I thought had some good potential in RU and have worked pretty decently. Anyway I thought I'd showcase it and see what people thought and how I might be able to deal with this team's fatal weakness.

With no further ado, I present to you my third RMT

At a Glance:

What is this? Two fighting types? Am I crazy? Maybe. Now, something you'll probably automatically notice is that my worst nightmare is Specs Exploud; a threat I'm still trying to decide how best to deal with.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Wish

What could I add to this mostly tried and true set? It's a fantastic wall that just refuses to die and Regenerator adds to that. Wish is a highly critical move for later game because of a key Pokemon. Meanwhile toxic and scald help mitigate a few threats here and there. Sure waterfall does more damage, but it's an Alomomola, it's not going to do a lot of damage anyway so might as well fish for a burn.

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Initially I ran Roost Over Fire Blast, but Fire Blast has some great coverage and with both Flygon's great typing and Alomomola's Wish Passing, I found that Fire Blast was a better choice in most situations. As much as I enjoy spamming Draco Meteor, sometimes the Sp atk drop isn't so much fun, and Fire Blast gives a decent alternative when Earth Power is a no go. However, it was really Defog that got me to try flygon out. I can't complain too much, between it and mega steelix I can typically handle any set up sigs.

Gallade (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 242 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

Like Hitmonchan before it, I wanted to have priority on this guy because every good team should have at least some. I chose Jolly over Adamant because of the fact that Jolly can sneak past a few more threats (Though I can't remember the ones in particular that were frightening at the time.) and drain punch back any health lost. Expert Belt gives Gallade enough Power to ensure a OHKO on Exploud without recoil damage as well as giving Poison Jab and Shadow Sneak a bit more punch against key targets. Swords Dance was chosen as the last move because a +2 Shadow Sneak/Move of choice and can clean up a lot of teams late game.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

I'll admit when I first saw the suggestion to use Mega Steelix, I was apprehensive at best. I'd never seen a mega steelix used well, and all it ever seemed to do was set up rocks and die. However, I decided to give it a go, and to my surprise, it's been working well. I chose Dragon Tail over heavy slam to help phase out key threats while stone edge can nail Golbat on the switch in and threaten it while it's on the field. Also deals with Fletchinder. However, it's also true that Mega Steelix is not fond of burns...

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Alomomola's tried and true partner in crime and battles alike. Between Alo's excellent physical bulk and Amoonguss' fantastic special bulk there's not a lot that this team can't tank. (Mostly to help gain an opportunity for a safe switch to another Pokemon.) Spore is of course a given while toxic helps whittle down more things and Sludge Bomb is mostly for chip damage or to threaten other Amoongus somewhat. Also used as a reliable switch-in to other sleepers like Tangrowth where it can then threaten with STAB Clear Smog or an untimely Toxic. Clear Smog was put on over Sludge Bomb to help mitigate the threat of DD Scrafty. Giga Drain is for the ability to hit a few more types for SE damage (Ground most notably.)

Emboar @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

This is the crux of the team, and is perhaps the most important member by far. Reckless Choice Banded Emboar is a monster and can OHKO/2HKO most of the metagame. Ubers included. However, Emboar's speed is middling, so it needs to be able to switch out in a hurry so it can come back in and force another sacrifice later. The two major downsides to Emboar are of course the heavy reliance on good predictions, (Do you go for flare blitz when mega steelix and qwilfish are around or do you predict the flying type and go for wild charge?) and naturally, the recoil damage from Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.

Thankfully, Wish is in the wings and with Alo's fantastic HP stat it almost fully revives Emboar so it can smash again.

So far I've elected to keep Banded Emboar as I haven't had too many instances where I wished I had the power over the speed that a scarf would offer.

Threats:

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Handled. Still take hefty damage from it if it gets off several boombursts but I can at least tank two and phase it out with M Steelix or OHKO it with Drain Punch.

Hitmonlee @ Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly
High Jump Kick

Now this guy is fast, and he has a good amount of power. Hitmonlee can be a threat if he's choice banded. Alomomola can technically handle him if I play my cards right, but if I lose Alomomola, a banded Hi Jump Kick makes everyone sad, even Amoonguss with its resistance.
Thankfully, a Shadow Sneak on a slightly weakened Hitmonlee is plenty to bring this guy down.

Sigilyph

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb / Leftovers
Magic Guard
Cosmic Power
Roost
Psycho Shift/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/ Heat Wave
Stored Power

This particular 'set' has a few variations, but they're all basically the same. Use Cosmic Power to get to +6 stupidly high defenses and then spam Stored Powers. If it's a psycho shift set, it makes it very annoying to handle as I'll likely have to allow Mega Steelix to eat a burn. Flygon can dish out some heavy damage early on with Draco Meteor but if it misses, that can be devastating. This is basically the key reason why Dragon Tail is on Mega Steelix. Might try the clear smog to help deal with it too...

Annoyances:

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Modest
252 Hp
252 Sp Atk
4 Sp Def

Flamethrower
Giga Drain
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt

Oddly enough, this guy can cause some trouble, mostly due to its rather surprisingly hard hitting super effective moves. Thankfully, Emboar outspeeds and OHKOes it with Flare blitz, so it's not a complete threat but it can be hard to safely switch into Eelektross thanks to its coverage. To be fair, the physical set is probably more problematic in the long run thanks to its bulk and knock off, but special can hit pretty hard if used wisely and I have nothing that can comfortably tank the super effective moves or STAB thunderbolt. Amoonguss can take a flamethrower but it doesn't enjoy it.
Less of a threat than Exploud, but still frustrating when I'm not wanting/ can't afford to take damage.

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey BlazeTemplar, cool team here, it's nice to see the use of some underrated mons like Skuntank. Your team sadly seems to have some problems againist stall teams in general, as the only hard hitter in your team is Emboar, which can be worn down with ease, and you have to play good with predictions since you the band prevents you from switching moves. Another problem I noticed is your lack of Stealth Rock, and of hazards in general, which makes your matchup againist bulkier builds a lot worse, as you can't pressure their switches.

The first change that comes to my mind is Steelix over Eelektross, Steelix is a nice special sponge which helps your team in many ways. His access to Stealth Rock and his ability to check many prominent threats in the tier makes him a really good mon for your team. He can also help you checking Exploud, which is a threat to your team as you stated. Eelektross on the other hand didn't help your team too much, as it is pretty weak and slow, and his bulk didn't help either.

On Amoonguss I suggest you to run a spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD with a Bold Nature, which allows you to take an Hitmonlee's HJK with rocks up even if your Black Sludge got knock offed, while still keeping some special bulk. Clear Smog over Toxic seems to be a nice change that your team might appreciate, as it is pretty weak to DD Scrafty, and keeping him at 0 boost will give you an easier time revenge killing him. Otherwise Hidden Power Fire or Stun Spore can be used over Toxic, HP Fire is used to hit Escavalier on the switch, although it won't do a lot of damage (around 30% to AV), while Stun Spore allows you to cripple switchins like Meloetta, Delphox or Houndoom when your opponent has a mon sleept.

On Alomomola I suggest you a spread of 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm Nature in order to check better both physical and special threats. Mirror Coat over Toxic is a nice way to kill things like Jolteon, Specs Delphox, Meloetta (unless sub cm), and it's a way to get some damage on things like Amoonguss in stall.

Flygon over Skuntank is a way to lower your ground weakness, and Skuntank isn't really viable in RU. The set I suggest you is a special LO set, with Defog and if you want Roost. Special Flygon is a really nice mon in RU, being able to deal damage to almost all the meta, and with his nice typing it can be a good partner to balance.

Choice Scarf over Band on Emboar, your team lacks of a revenge killer, and even if CB Emboar is really powerful, it his easy to revenge kill, something a bit harder to do with the scarf equipped. Head Smash over Earthquake gives you a way to hit fire type much harder, and it will do more damage on neutral hits thanks to Reckless, and it hits Togekiss so it can be weakened for Flygon.

Hitmonlee over Hitmonchan. The set I suggest you is the EndureReversal one, I think it will fit your team good and it will put on a lot of work againist almost all of the usual RU builds. Also Emboar can lure Qwilfish to bring him to the Hitmonlee's range.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Stun Spore / Clear Smog

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic / Mirror Coat

Flygon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast / Roost
- Defog

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Reversal
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

This is all comes to my mind, feel free to pm me if you have anything to ask, and good luck with your team n__n

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
I think there are things that works here, but it could definitely use some tweaking. Fran17 made some excellent suggestions, all of which I agree with. I agree with fran17 on Alomomola + Amoonguss, though I run 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD with a Bold nature so that it does better against Rotom-C, Tangrowth, and, most importantly, opposing Amoonguss.

As for Hitmonchan, sadly it's outclassed by so many better Fighting-types. Gurdurr's extremely bulky, has access to Knock Off, gets a boost from status, and is better at sweeping late game. Medicham, Gallade, and Hitmonlee are also excellent alternatives. Skuntank is also outclassed by other hazard removers. Amoonguss already absorbs Toxic Spikes and there are much, much better hazard removers out there. The Flygon set fran17 posted is excellent. Togetic also comes to mind to help even more against opposing Fighting types and has valuable utility with Heal Bell, Encore, or even Thunder Wave, though you're probably better off with Flygon's offensive pressure. Life Orb Hitmonlee with Rapid Spin would work well here as well and frees up a team slot that could be used for hazards, Heal Bell support, or whatever else you might want to run. You could even keep Eel to check Fletchinder.

I agree with Choice Scarf Emboar and Mega Steelix. I recommend Stone Edge over Toxic though on fran17's set, since I find that Toxic stalling Fletchinder is unreliable, not to mention Taunt variants would destroy your team.

Here's the Gurdurr set. I'd post a full team, but it'd pretty much be the same as fran17's with just a couple of differences and Gurdurr instead of Hitmonlee.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Hey BlazeTemplar, cool team here, it's nice to see the use of some underrated mons like Skuntank. Your team sadly seems to have some problems againist stall teams in general, as the only hard hitter in your team is Emboar, which can be worn down with ease, and you have to play good with predictions since you the band prevents you from switching moves. Another problem I noticed is your lack of Stealth Rock, and of hazards in general, which makes your matchup againist bulkier builds a lot worse, as you can't pressure their switches.

The first change that comes to my mind is Steelix over Eelektross, Steelix is a nice special sponge which helps your team in many ways. His access to Stealth Rock and his ability to check many prominent threats in the tier makes him a really good mon for your team. He can also help you checking Exploud, which is a threat to your team as you stated. Eelektross on the other hand didn't help your team too much, as it is pretty weak and slow, and his bulk didn't help either.

On Amoonguss I suggest you to run a spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD with a Bold Nature, which allows you to take an Hitmonlee's HJK with rocks up even if your Black Sludge got knock offed, while still keeping some special bulk. Clear Smog over Toxic seems to be a nice change that your team might appreciate, as it is pretty weak to DD Scrafty, and keeping him at 0 boost will give you an easier time revenge killing him. Otherwise Hidden Power Fire or Stun Spore can be used over Toxic, HP Fire is used to hit Escavalier on the switch, although it won't do a lot of damage (around 30% to AV), while Stun Spore allows you to cripple switchins like Meloetta, Delphox or Houndoom when your opponent has a mon sleept.

On Alomomola I suggest you a spread of 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm Nature in order to check better both physical and special threats. Mirror Coat over Toxic is a nice way to kill things like Jolteon, Specs Delphox, Meloetta (unless sub cm), and it's a way to get some damage on things like Amoonguss in stall.

Flygon over Skuntank is a way to lower your ground weakness, and Skuntank isn't really viable in RU. The set I suggest you is a special LO set, with Defog and if you want Roost. Special Flygon is a really nice mon in RU, being able to deal damage to almost all the meta, and with his nice typing it can be a good partner to balance.

Choice Scarf over Band on Emboar, your team lacks of a revenge killer, and even if CB Emboar is really powerful, it his easy to revenge kill, something a bit harder to do with the scarf equipped. Head Smash over Earthquake gives you a way to hit fire type much harder, and it will do more damage on neutral hits thanks to Reckless, and it hits Togekiss so it can be weakened for Flygon.

Hitmonlee over Hitmonchan. The set I suggest you is the EndureReversal one, I think it will fit your team good and it will put on a lot of work againist almost all of the usual RU builds. Also Emboar can lure Qwilfish to bring him to the Hitmonlee's range.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Stun Spore / Clear Smog

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic / Mirror Coat

Flygon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast / Roost
- Defog

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Reversal
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

This is all comes to my mind, feel free to pm me if you have anything to ask, and good luck with your team n__n
Flygon:
I didn't even realize that Flygon got defog. O_O I guess my gen4/5ishness is showing through again lol. And since it has levitate it deals with the same problem of toxic spikes so I'm fully for that. Yeah, this is one change I'll have to try as soon as I get on again tomorrow. (I kinda burned myself out of showdown today...) (Poor flygon, I remember a time when you ruled the roost and were comfortably OU.)

Scarf Emboar:
As to CB or scarf? Well, I never intended for Emboar to outspeed everything, basically it's there to do mid/late game breaking and it does so with aplomb... But, I do like the idea of headsmash. I forgot it even learned that.... CB Emboar typically operates on the idea of 'I got in safely, now what are you going to let die? Okay, so I killed something, I'll be back in a bit to do it again!'

Steelix:
Well, right now I'm not completely sold on it as right now my only special attacker is... Oh right Flygon. Having rocks is also nice... But I'll admit I guess my biggest problem with M-Steelix is that I've never seen it do anything successful outside of setting up rocks and CB Emboar doesn't care that much about having rock support.

Hitmonlee:
You have just immediately won epic points for the set. I've always enjoyed reversal mons. I'm not 100% sure how it'll fit it on the team yet, but I'll have to look into this because that's great.

Gurdurr isn't a bad choice at all... I kinda like this
As to the EVs and atks of Alo/Amoonguss? Yeah, I can see your points, and I'll have to try out some of those things tomorrow morning or so.
...Yeah, if I run M-Steelix, stone edge would be handy, especially if I have amoonguss running it....

In short tomorrow's immediate battle test plan?

1: Special Flygon first and foremost with Defog over Skuntank. (Despite how much fun taunting a foe to suckerpunch them is lol.)

I'll mess around a bit and see if I can't grab a couple replays of what happens once done. Cheers!

2: Headsmash

3: Experiment around with the Eel and Hitmon slots.

Once I've tried those changes, I'll experiment with a few of the others too. Erm... How well does M-Steelix take a focus blast from Exploud btw....?

Edit: Tried out the Flygon and M-Steelix and removed Skuntank. Got wrecked by CM Sig Psyshock/coverage, so that's something I'll need to figure out how to deal with if I don't have tank to deal with it.
So far, I'm looking at a Gallade/Gurdurr swap to handle Sig (Gallade is a little more tempting right now due to Shadow Sneak being an option. Though I'm finding myself wishing it got sucker punch...) and finish off Exploud instead of just forcing it out with MSteelix, Special Flygon in the wings and general tweaks to make it look something like this.

Mega Steelix/Eelektross
Gurdurr/Gallade
Alomomola
Emboar
Amoonguss
Special Flygon

But I'm tired, and I only wanted to let everyone that's offered advice know I'm working on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)