Anything Goes Resources

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree for the most-part, but Aron definitely needs to be kept in D rank, it represents an unviable strategy, but new players need to realize that it represents a significant low-ladder threat.
you don't rank things because they work against low ladder plays, you rank them if they're actually good. I don't get your issue here, if it works that's one thing but you're admitting it's awful and unviable but saying we should keep it ranked? Maybe just VM me since you seem confused on VR stuff

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really don't have much opinion on most of those. Obviously lando is fine, but I mean sure the rest are k. Not much opinion. Driller might be alright for D rank though, it's very niche but sand is a threatening thing?

I'd like to call into question why Latios is a subrank higher than Latias. It has more power, Latias has more bulk. But the bulk should be much more useful than the power, right? Latias's bulk lets it check threats like the omnipresent Primal Groudon and Kyogre much better than Latios, and it's really solid too. If anybody has relevant calcs or games rather than just theorymon that'd be nice, but since I've been using Latias it's been really nice. I want to argue for a rank swap but does anybody have something relevant to support Latios?

Tyranitar C-C+
Why is this ranked with shit like Forretress? Pursuit trapper, great check to Arceus, megaray, Ho-oh, Lugia, Mewtwo, Gengar, Gira-O, etc. Shuca sets have a ton of nice utility, I don't see any reason it's that low.

That being said, the ranks really need to be figured out. If you look at anything below the B ranks, the stuff you want to use starts to get really shit. Random stuff like Whimsicott and Quagsire end up with nicer things like MegaLuke and Latias. I fully support the lower rank clean, off the top of my head we can lower or remove the aforementioned Whimiscott and Quagsire, as well as Arceus Electric (this thing is really lame after testing), Forretress (why...?), Liepard (keys say hi), Gliscor and Hippowdon (seriously when), Aron (lol), Deo-D (again why), Mamoswine (more gimmick! yay!), Aerodactyl (this was just ranked and I have literally no idea why when things like Deo-s exist), and xatu (lol)

Lower ranks should be things you conceivably use, those I see little to no reason to use a lot of those, at least Arc Fire, Tentacruel and Mega Meta have something where you can see why you'd use it. The original rankings are so stuffed because the meta was fresh and ranking everything was safe, but these could really be refined around now
Nah Sand isn't a threatening thing in AG, because not only are the primals very common (and even scarfed ogre fucks with sand) but ray ray has its own form of weather in delta stream. Weather just doesn't really work. Exca is subpar, it needs to go.

I agree so much. I'd say they are equal, put Latis together. I wouldn't necessarily call the bulk better, but they are definitely not a subrank apart. I was gonna nom thsi when I had time anyways.

Tyranitar is decent like I said on skype, I'm fine with it raising. More importantly, I already nominated Forretress to be removed. Listen to me people! I have said all of this!

Whimsicott has a niche as a really fucking annoying prankster. It should be in D imo. I already nommed Quag to be unranked, at least D. It simply isn't viable in AG even on stall because of how fuckign powerful everything is even unboosted. Liepard has a niche with copycat and different typing = different checks/counters (besides diancie the swag killer), it should be D imo. I nominated Hippo to be unranked, Gliscor is somewhat viable on Baton Pass teams as well as semi-stall (which is a thing, despite not being common) because PHeal and good typing is p good. Deo-D should be in Deo-d imo, it still does have a niche on semistall it just isn't a GOOD niche and it kinda works as a hazard lead. Aron we have already debated indepth, D is fine. Mamoswine is another thing I already nominated to be unranked, and I still support. Xatu needs to be unranked as well, Espeon simply does BPass teams better. I've also nommed mega aero to be unranked multiple times.

Sorry if I missed anything.

you don't rank things because they work against low ladder plays, you rank them if they're actually good. I don't get your issue here, if it works that's one thing but you're admitting it's awful and unviable but saying we should keep it ranked? Maybe just VM me since you seem confused on VR stuff
Alright, I worded what I said last time really badly. What I meant to say was that Aron is unviable, but it works in a way that most new players are completely unaware of, so these new players, when looking at the viability rankings to make their teams need to understand what it is so as to be able to manage it. If the viability rankings don't accommodate for this, then go ahead and remove it, because outside of this purpose it doesn't deserve a placement.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Articuno C+ to C-
Landorus-Therian C+ to unranked
Mawile-Mega C to unranked
Excadrill C+ to unranked
Terrakion B- to C
Palkia B- to C
Zekrom B- to B+
Articuno is definitely deserving of a C- or lower rank. It's a gimmick, and as others have stated a pretty poor one. A simple action such as switching almost deems this pokemon useless. I don't have much to say about this thing, but it's a poor contributor to many teams. The only time I'd ever use it is if someone offered to pay me to use this in a tournament (Whis , where's my 20 Uruguayan Pesos?).

Landorus-T offers a nice Intimidate-Turn which can cripple many physical attackers that usually rely on natural attack than boosting up their attack stat. Joshz isn't Salamence a better Intimidater? It forces out so many things and its attack is monstrous. I don't know what to think about this since I've never really experienced it on ladder other than me using it.

Mawile-Mega, uh. I'm really unsure about this thing. Never seen it, but that doesn't mean it's unviable. I looked at a few calcs. It seems to get KO'd first by anything it would KO. Give it speed and I guess it's okay. I would rank it at D but I'd need further information to unrank it totally or alternatively, the thing I mention at the end of the post. I actually don't know anything about this, sorry.

Excadrill, I agree with all of your posts it'll get a D when I do the update soon.

Terrakion is the god of AG, I don't understand all your arguments. He's our lord, saviour and supreme leader. Okay, I admit its viability has decreased in the past few months due to everyone knowing how to play the game properly. Terrakion was an awesome check for both Yveltal forms and EKiller. WAS. Everyone knows how to check it now, and there are better checks for these mons. I support the decrease.

Are we really ranking Palkia with mons such as Forretress and Electric Arceus. This thing has much greater sheer force. I'd need to hear a bit more on it to be honest. Maybe some decrease.

Zekrom to R, new rank above S just for jokes y/y. I'd support a raise to B, but isn't B+ pushing it a bit. It might just be me, but Zekrom doesn't even seem as good as those mons.

Latios B- to C+ or Latias C+ to B-
Tyranitar C to C+

Lower ranks should be things you conceivably use, those I see little to no reason to use a lot of those, at least Arc Fire, Tentacruel and Mega Meta have something where you can see why you'd use it. The original rankings are so stuffed because the meta was fresh and ranking everything was safe, but these could really be refined around now.
I don't know what to do with Latis. I was recently told to drop Latias and now you're asking me to raise it. I agree with possibly raising of Latias. I'm way too tired to make proper judgment though, so I'll wait.

Tyranitar, ok. I remember the reason this dropped in the first place. I said it's a useless sandstorm setter and AWILDBIBAREL corrected me saying it's a good rock attacker and I said Terrakion was better. Now I can see we we're both kinda wrong, let's raise it a touch. Might need some other opinions.

In total, a proposal is to make a temporary E rank, sort all the junk mons in there and then we can figure stuff out. Otherwise, continue discussing as always.

hi
Zekrom to R, new rank above S just for jokes y/y. I'd support a raise to B, but isn't B+ pushing it a bit. It might just be me, but Zekrom doesn't even seem as good as those mons.
what is wrong with all you Zekrom haters Zekrom easily beats all S rank pokemon imo Zekrom's usefulness is found when attacking higher tier mons, as mons of it's own tier are typed in such a way that Zekrom's true potential cannot shine through. Going through the A rank mons, Zekrom can beat (when used correctly) Darkrai, Kyogre-Primal, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Yveltal, Mewtwo, Diancie-Mega and Gengar-Mega.

WhiteLion

Banned deucer.
hi zangooser and other ag comunity i would love to suggest a few changes in viability.
1. Move Y-God to A+
2.Bring Lugis to A

Resaons r pretty clear

1. Lugia is not that common in ag as compared to y god.
2. Y god is not only good defensively but its offensive qualities r also very good while lugia fail in its offense it often relies on toxic
3. y god checks more efficently the most biggest threats in ag meta game like ekiller, mega ray
4.charti berry y god checks p dons n ekiller nicely even after rocks while lugia fails to do that

Alright, I support Ygod moving up, because it looks kool of the reasons stated.

I don't care about Lugia, I don't know enough about it.

I would like to take back Palkia's demotion to D, because Palkia is actually pretty good, I just never realized it until I started testing it out.

Whoawhoawhoa I see some odd discussion going on. As said earlier Lando's different forms perform COMPLETELY different roles thus that is a inaccurate comparison; I do agree that Lando-T is just mediocre atm due to better bulkier grounds. Also Tyranitar is kind of popular in Ubers (don't rat on me, T-tar doesn't have any unique niches in AG) for only one reason; the support set. Sandstorm is cool, sure, but it's not the reason why T-tar is used (the sp.def boost it provides is key to its viability though). Tyranitar makes a great check to the Latis and CM Arceus formes without a type advantage. It's kind of hurt by the Latis being less common, so maybe still B.
Mawile-Mega deserves a D or something. It's slow, not THAT bulky, and even occasionally fails to switchin on Geoxern. Just my personal opinion (no need to take this seriously) but Terrakion still doesn't really need to be as high as C. I think perhaps a more incremental drop is in order, but you can ignore this if you want.

I've used Mega Mawile and it's pretty disappointing to be honest. I'd support a drop to D. Steel/Fairy typing looks great, but its bulk is horrible. It can't take hits from things you'd expect it to check at all:

252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 66-78 (21.7 - 25.6%) -- 2.1% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 221-263 (72.6 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 442-523 (145.3 - 172%) -- guaranteed OHKO

ESpeed+EQ or SD+EQ both KO.

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 237-279 (77.9 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 302-356 (99.3 - 117.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 254-300 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And so on. It's so slow there's no point in investing in its speed. Hell, it loses to Giratina/Giratina-O because it's outsped and WoWed. It can safely come in on and force out Lugia and Yveltal and it also walls MMY, and it can be threatening late game if you let it SD (Adamant Mawile's Sucker Punch hits slightly harder than Jolly LO Arceus's Extremespeed) but that's it. It does nothing most games since this is AG and everything hits so hard.

EDIT: Also, from Smeargle's 1760 usage stats:

Protect 16.998%
Spiky Shield 12.018%
King's Shield 10.305%

Don't use Protect or King's Shield on Smeargle guys, Spiky Shield is superior to both.

Last edited:

Josh

=P
H E L L O N O M I N A T I O N T I M E !

unranks

• mega blaziken, blaziken's only niche is baton pass and it does that fine as a regular. not worth opportunity cost of mega-ing. if we were allowed unlimited megas, this would be higher but nah. take this shit out
  • arceus bug... lol. take Punchshroom 's advice, this is an ou mon. its ass in ag.
  • in a meta with no species clause, there's no reason you couldn't use 2 espeons if your baton pass team needed it. xatu is a waste. a ground immunity is worthless with shit everything else compared to espeon.
  • whoever decided to rank regular aerodactyl (zangooser) needs to be dissected for science (zangooser) to see how they managed to fuck up that much. what exactly does aerodactyl do? oh thats right, die to every hit ever with shit bulk shit typing and lack of stabs. a fast taunt is nice, until you realize deo-s is a thing. theres just no niche aerodactyl has.
  • hippowdon... lol? 100% outclassed by groundceus. i nommed this a while ago, cba going into detail again. UNRANK IT.
  • liepard unranked. sableye may have a niche over klefki (recover, wisp etc) but liepard just isnt worth using. worse typing, worse everything. copycat is cool, but not worth ranking.
drops

• forretress to D. its ass. i guess it does have a niche of sturdy hazard spreader with good typing and hazard control, but meh. this could easily be unranked as well. its terrible lol.
  • fireceus to D, hello pdon? it does do some stuff i guess, but its just pretty bad lol. as well as SHIT typing (of pure fire).
  • tentacruel to D, it has a niche but not a good one. we've discussed this a lot. i think it fits D better.
  • arceus-grass to C-, it is pretty bad honestly because grass is such a bad typing but at least it has something, as the only viable offensive grass type in ag (afaik)
sorry for grammar, im tired.

luv u all (except zangooser)

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
H E L L O N O M I N A T I O N T I M E !

unranks

• mega blaziken, blaziken's only niche is baton pass and it does that fine as a regular. not worth opportunity cost of mega-ing. if we were allowed unlimited megas, this would be higher but nah. take this shit out
  • arceus bug... lol. take Punchshroom 's advice, this is an ou mon. its ass in ag.
  • in a meta with no species clause, there's no reason you couldn't use 2 espeons if your baton pass team needed it. xatu is a waste. a ground immunity is worthless with shit everything else compared to espeon.
  • whoever decided to rank regular aerodactyl (zangooser) needs to be dissected for science (zangooser) to see how they managed to fuck up that much. what exactly does aerodactyl do? oh thats right, die to every hit ever with shit bulk shit typing and lack of stabs. a fast taunt is nice, until you realize deo-s is a thing. theres just no niche aerodactyl has.
  • hippowdon... lol? 100% outclassed by groundceus. i nommed this a while ago, cba going into detail again. UNRANK IT.
  • liepard unranked. sableye may have a niche over klefki (recover, wisp etc) but liepard just isnt worth using. worse typing, worse everything. copycat is cool, but not worth ranking.
drops

• forretress to D. its ass. i guess it does have a niche of sturdy hazard spreader with good typing and hazard control, but meh. this could easily be unranked as well. its terrible lol.
  • fireceus to D, hello pdon? it does do some stuff i guess, but its just pretty bad lol. as well as SHIT typing (of pure fire).
  • tentacruel to D, it has a niche but not a good one. we've discussed this a lot. i think it fits D better.
  • arceus-grass to C-, it is pretty bad honestly because grass is such a bad typing but at least it has something, as the only viable offensive grass type in ag (afaik)
sorry for grammar, im tired.

luv u all (except zangooser)
agreeing with all of that (also unrank forry not just D). We can also remove quagsire and whimsicott (being annoying w/prankster isn't a niche we have keys lol), idek why c+ mons should have to be unranked. Also Aron :^) I will say that it's nice to mention that mega blaziken is unviable while regular blaziken is way higher in B+ (why? is it honestly that good? does it need to be that high?), which is why it was put in D. Or just unranked it and put (not mega) in parentheses next to regular chicken. I just wanted to reiterate that's a thing that would be nice. I also wanna see Cuno in D, idm ranking it but it's not splashable or anything as much of annoying for bulkier playstyles, which are also much more rare. Finally, questioning why Garchomp is in B-. SR+EQ+faster than primals is nice but it's outsped by almost every other relevant threat and isn't overly strong or bulky for AG, is there a reason that it needs to be so high when it overlaps heavily with our almighty S rank lord Pdon?

I support the unranking of several mons, for a rather practical reason:

OK so I assume most of you know that the AG viability ranking was initially copypasted from the Ubers Viability thread. Various mons were only ranked because they were UBERS (e.g. some Arceus formes and mega mawile). Since we're not bound by this restriction, we should unrank 'em all (pardon the reference :]).

I support the unranking of several mons, for a rather practical reason:

OK so I assume most of you know that the AG viability ranking was initially copypasted from the Ubers Viability thread. Various mons were only ranked because they were UBERS (e.g. some Arceus formes and mega mawile). Since we're not bound by this restriction, we should unrank 'em all (pardon the reference :]).
I definitely agree here, ubers has a very strict, theory-based ladder with no nonsense and no need to counter that nonsense. AG however is a crazy meta that doesn't play by uber rules, so why bother keeping things we never see on high game ladder ranked?

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Okay.
Since we've had so many nominations a few of us have gotten together and decided that the rankings must be redone. There are so many misplacements that require a fix that we've decided to do it this way. So essentially what has happened is that I have removed all the pokemon in B+ rank or below, and placed them in a hide for display purposes. These mons will be ranked according to what we deem necessary. Many mons will suffer unranking due to them not having viability or their niche isn't valuable enough to players who take the metagame seriously.

Let's start by ranking all pokemon that have a definite place on the ranks. For example, maybe we all agree Excadrill is D worthy. Of course, feel free to discuss any. Updates will happen more frequently for a few days as we attempt to complete this process at a swift but efficient pace.

Edit: I've added a few more mons that may have viability, as we can always not rank if they're not worthy.

Last edited:

Josh

=P
Okay.
Since we've had so many nominations a few of us have gotten together and decided that the rankings must be redone. There are so many misplacements that require a fix that we've decided to do it this way. So essentially what has happened is that I have removed all the pokemon in B+ rank or below, and placed them in a hide for display purposes. These mons will be ranked according to what we deem necessary. Many mons will suffer unranking due to them not having viability or their niche isn't valuable enough to players who take the metagame seriously.

Let's start by ranking all pokemon that have a definite place on the ranks. For example, maybe we all agree Excadrill is D worthy. Of course, feel free to discuss any. Updates will happen more frequently for a few days as we attempt to complete this process at a swift but efficient pace.

Edit: I've added a few more mons that may have viability, as we can always not rank if they're not worthy.
Orrr, simply implement the things I suggested and the VR will be fine, it may have been taken from ubers VR originally but we have had lots of time to improve it. It was at a fine state, I see no reason to do something drastic like this. This is just a lot of extra work for no reason.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Orrr, simply implement the things I suggested and the VR will be fine, it may have been taken from ubers VR originally but we have had lots of time to improve it. It was at a fine state, I see no reason to do something drastic like this. This is just a lot of extra work for no reason.
As much as I somewhat agree with that statement, we've had 20 nominations in the past few days all with drastic changes. If everyone agrees with your opinion though I have the old one saved so it's not the end of the world.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Aegislash B+
Aerodactyl D
Amoonguss C+
Arceus (Bug) D
Arceus (Dark) D
Arceus (Dragon) B-
Arceus (Electric) Unranked
Arceus (Fighting) D
Arceus (Fire) C-
Arceus (Flying) D
Arceus (Grass) C-
Arceus (Ice) C+
Arceus (Poison) B+/B

Arceus (Psychic) Unranked
Arceus (Water) B-
Aron D
Articuno C-
Blaziken D or Unranked
Blaziken (Mega) Unranked
Blissey D
Bronzong B-
Chansey C
Clefable B-/C+
Deoxys (Attack) B+

Deoxys (Defense) B-
Deoxys (Speed) C+
Dialga C
Ditto C+
Drifblim B-
Espeon B
Excadrill D or Unranked (leaning towards Unranked)
Ferrothorn B-
Forretress C+
Garchomp C
Genesect C+
Giratina B

Glalie C

Gliscor C-
Greninja C
Groudon B-/C+
Gyarados (Mega) D

Heatran D
Hippowdon D
Jirachi D
Kangaskhan (Mega) C-
Kyogre B+
Kyurem (Black) B-
Kyurem (White) B
Landorus B

Landorus (Therian) B-
Latias B+
Latios B
Liepard Unranked
Lucario (Mega) C
Mamoswine B-
Mawile (Mega) Unranked or D

Metagross (Mega) C-
Mewtwo (Mega-X) B-
Mewtwo (Mega-Y) B+
Palkia C+
Quagsire C
Rayquaza C+

Reshiram C
Sableye B-
Sableye (Mega) B

Salamence-Mega D/C-
Scizor (Mega) B+
Scolipede B+
Shaymin (Sky) B-

Skarmory B
Slowbro B

Slowbro (Mega) C/C-
Smeargle B
Tentacruel C
Terrakion C-
Thundurus C+

Tyranitar D
Whimsicott Unranked
Wobbuffet D

Xatu Unranked
Zekrom B+

Did this p fast so some might be a little off, feel free to disagree with me on anything. No explanations because lol @ writing explanations for all of them and I gtg p quick, but I can provide some if asked :)

MZ

Joshz and I came up with our own ideas on where stuff would go together. I'm not council and he's only 1/4th of it but ideally this gives some general bracket for where things should be? If a mon has (???) that means neither of us have used it enough to have any idea really on where it goes. HF!
S Rank

Arceus
Groudon (Primal)
Klefki
Rayquaza (Mega)
Xerneas

A Rank

A+
Arceus (Fairy)
Arceus (Ghost)
Arceus (Ground)
Darkrai
Ho-Oh
Lugia

A
Diancie (Mega)
Kyogre (Primal)
Mewtwo
Yveltal

A-
Arceus (Rock)
Arceus (Steel)
Gengar (Mega)
Giratina (Origin)

B Rank

B+
Arceus (Water)Water)
Deoxys (Attack)
Mewtwo (Mega-X) (???)
Smeargle (B?)
Zekrom

B
Aegislash
Arceus (Poison) (B-?)
Deoxys (Speed) (B-?)
Genesect (B+?)
Giratina (???)
Kyogre (b+?)
Kyurem (White) (b-?)
Mewtwo (Mega-Y) (???)

B-
Bronzong (B?)
Dialga
Espeon (B?)
Kangaskhan Mega (B?)
Scizor (Mega)
Shaymin (Sky) (???)
Latias (something latios something?)

C Rank

C+
Arceus (Dark)
Blaziken (B-?) NOT MEGA
Ferrothorn
Groudon
Landorus
Latios (something latias something?)
Lucario (Mega)
Skarmory
Tyranitar

C
Arceus (Dragon) (???)
Arceus (Ice)
Ditto (c+?)
Landorus (Therian)
Metagross (Mega) (C-?)
Palkia
Rayquaza
Salamence (Mega)
Scolipede (C+?)

C-
Arceus (Fighting) (c?)
Arceus (Flying)
Jirachi (d/unranked?)
Sableye (Mega) (C?)
Wobbuffet

D Rank

Arceus (Fire)
Arceus (Grass)
Articuno
Aron (unrank once we're done meming megazard?)
Liepard
Mawile (Mega)
Quagsire
Tentacruel
Amoonguss (unranked?)
Deoxys Defense
Drifblim
Arceus (Electric)
Arceus (Psychic)
Blissey/Chansey (which one?) (we should really unrank one though)
Gliscor
Sableye
Slowbro (Mega) (???) (unranked?)
Terrakion

Unranked after rankings are finished.
Aerodactyl (why was this ranked?)
Hippowdon (outclassed by groundceus)
Xatu (outclassed by espeon)
Excadrill (D? is sand enough for that small niche?)
Arceus (Bug) (D? does it have any worth)
Clefable (why would you use this on a team)
Forretress (lol bad, deos are better suicide leads)
Garchomp (why was this ranked?)
Glalie (when would you ever actually use this)
Greninja (outclassed by deo)
Gyarados (Mega) (why was this ranked?)
Heatran (why was this ranked?)
Kyurem (Black) (why was this ranked?)
Mamoswine (when would you ever use this?)
Reshiram (when would you actually use this?)
Slowbro (why was this ranked?)
Thundurus (Is priority taunt really worth it?)
Whimsicott (when would you actually use this?)

I don't think Amoonguss deserves a rank for the reason that outside of being a Kyogre check, it's not very useful. It loses to top threats (pdon and mray) and loses to something it would normally check, Primal Kyogre with CM.

Because I'm nicer than before, feel free to argue with me.
edit: Megazard, about 1/4 (am I underestimating?) of your D-ranks were ranked because of Zangooser. For example, Zangooser invented a Klefki counter Slowbro. No offense :]

Chloe

NUPL Champion
I don't think Amoonguss deserves a rank for the reason that outside of being a Kyogre check, it's not very useful. It loses to top threats (pdon and mray) and loses to something it would normally check, Primal Kyogre with CM.

Because I'm nicer than before, feel free to argue with me.
edit: Megazard, about 1/4 (am I underestimating?) of your D-ranks were ranked because of Zangooser. For example, Zangooser invented a Klefki counter Slowbro. No offense :]
Everything is ranked because of me. I influence the ladder more than you know :^)

Also Amoonguss checks Kyogre and hard checks Xerneas. It also essentially walls the special attacking sect of the metagame. I don't have enough time to write an essay here, but it's definitely D viable imo.

Finally, the activity on this thread has decreased for a day or so and I get some time to catch up :P
So, these are my opinions on the mons fore-mentioned in the posts by you peeps -

1. Amoonguss - D Rank
I think D-Rank is what Amoonguss deserves and that it shouldn't be unranked (Sorry for agreeing with Zang on this matter). The only reason behind this is that it checks two of the biggest threats in AG - Xerneas and Kyogre. It is easily able to absorb damage from Xerneas' attacks, remove the increase in stats and do good damage with poison type moves in return (Xerneas isn't as threatening without Power Herb anyway). Also, Regen is a very handy ability against those Swag-key teams.

2. Excadrill - Unrank
Excadrill is a mediocre mon. I'm unable to identify any niche that it may posses. While speed boost in Sandstorm can turn out be handy, the ability doesn't turn out to be that great with almost every team having atleast a Primal at the higher-end.

3. Aron - D Rank
Has a somewhat viable niche in Sturdy + Endeavour + Recycle + Berry Juice. Can successfully lower to 1HP the health of some threats in the opposing team.

4. Mega Blaziken - Unrank
Simply not worth the Mega-evo, Blaziken does the same thing without taking that mega-spot.

5. Blaziken - C/ C-
Good for Baton-Pass teams and almost nothing else in AG? And I don't think that BP teams are too usable/reliable, therefore, it deserves to be lowered. Almost every team has a counter to BP teams in Perish Song/ Roar before something uses Ingrain.

6. Mega-Metagross - C/ C-
I think Mega-Metagross is pretty viable, having the Clear Body ability before Mega-evo and Tough Claws after the Mega-evo helps it do quite some damage to fairy types (Helps do quite a lot of damage to Xern), it takes up that mega-spot though, so C- maybe? (Mega-Scizor is in B-? Don't tell me it's Zang who is responsible for that.)

7. Liepard - Unranked
I don't know what this thing can do that Klefki can't, aslo, Klefki has a much better typing.

8. Terrakion - B-
It's pretty fine where it is right now, Scarf Terrakion checks those stupid all Extreme-killer teams and has its niches to be in B- (I don't think Zangooser used it as a meme?)

9. Zekrom - B-
Yeah, I agree with Sage on the point that Zekrom beats many of the mons at the top of the Viability Rankings, but One-on-One. Good predicts can stop Zekrom in it's tracks before it gains any momentum. (P-Gdon/ Gdon troubles Zekrom a lot, having immunity to it's STAB Electric moves and having enough physical bulk to not take much damagefrom it's Dragon type moves (Don't forget M-Rayquaza is our saviour now.)

10. Aegislash - C
Has it's niche in countering those fairies and maybe even 'some' physical attacker but no that good. While it hard counters Xern and has a very good form change move in Kings Shield (lowers attack to 50% of original), It easily dies to some if the most common mons in AG such as Yveltal, Groudon, M-Ray, Arceus (Only because of how common EQ is on these mons, or type effectiveness)

11. Slowbro - Unrank
lol, Unrank this right away. I'd use Numel over Flame Orb Slowbro as a matter of fact.

12. Heatran - B-/ C
What, Heatran is in B? o.O I think it should be in B-/ C (prefer C). The only thing is check Fairies, that too only to some extent (Focus Blast Xern, rip). And it simpy loses to almost everything (Arceus, M-Ray, P-Don, Kyogre) found in the higher ladder, as almost everything has EQ (The Balloon set can help it survive for one more turn though) and Heatran simply gets OHKO'ed.

13. Arceus - Electric - D/ Unrank
As much as I like Electric type mons, they aren't close to viable in AG. So I'd prefer that Arceus Electric is pushed down to D from C or is Unranked.

14. Clefable - B/ B-
Clefable has its niche with Unaware and is able to successfully wall some popular Arceus forms such as - Ghost-Arceus and ExtremeKiller-Arceus. Also, it is able to handle CM Arceus forms somewhat as well. But B+ is a touch higher, move to B/ B- imo.
(Calcs - i] 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 142-168 (36.1 - 42.7%) -- 93.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.

ii] 252 Atk Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Shadow Force vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 195-231 (49.6 - 58.7%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)

15. Xatu - Unrank
Espeon > Xatu.

16. Slowbro Mega - D/ Unrank
It can act as a wall, but this task is performed in a much better way by Bulkceus and one really can't have a good to reason to waste a mega-spot and use this over Arceus.

17. Greninja - C-/ D
As I has said earlier many of the mons in the B-Rank deserve a lowering in rank.... Maybe they were kept there initially due to the buzz? I don't see why people should use Greninja and why it should be in B with Groudon. Lower it to C-/ D, or even maybe Unrank it idc (Sorry if I'm a bit too harsh on this one.) It just doesn't posses enough power, or bulk to be in B, and the ability Protean isn't that good.

Last edited:

MZ

Finally, the activity on this thread has decreased for a day or so and I get some time to catch up :P
So, these are my opinions on the mons fore-mentioned in the posts by you peeps -

1. Amoonguss - D Rank
I think D-Rank is what Amoonguss deserves and that it shouldn't be unranked (Sorry for agreeing with Zang on this matter). The only reason behind this is that it checks two of the biggest threats in AG - Xerneas and Kyogre. It is easily able to absorb damage from Xerneas' attacks, remove the increase in stats and do good damage with poison type moves in return (Xerneas isn't as threatening without Power Herb anyway). Also, Regen is a very handy ability.

2. Excadrill - Unrank
I don't think I need to explain this, just not that good.

3. Aron - D Rank
Has a somewhat viable niche in Sturdy + Endeavour + Recycle + Berry Juice?

4. Mega Blaziken - Unrank
Simply not worth the Mega-evo, Blaziken does the same thing without taking that mega-spot.

5. Blaziken - C/ C-
Good for Baton-Pass teams and almost nothing else in AG? And I don't think that BP teams are too usable/reliable, therefore, it deserves to be lowered.

6. Mega-Metagross - C/ C-
I think Mega-Metagross is pretty viable, having the Clear Body ability before Mega-evo and Tough Claws after the Mega-evo helps it do quite some damage to fairy types, it takes up that mega-spot though, so C- Maybe (You can use it for the looks though:)? (Mega-Scizor is in B-? Don't tell me it's Zang who is responsible for that.)

7. Liepard - Unranked
I don't know what this thing can do that Klefki can't, aslo, Klefki has a much better typing.

8. Terrakion - B-
It's pretty fine where it is right now, Scarf Terrakion checks those stupid all Extreme-killer teams and has its niches to be in B- (I don't think Zangooser used it as a meme?)

9. Zekrom - B-
Yeah, I agree with Sage on the point that Zekrom beats many of the mons at the top of the Viability Rankings, but One-on-One. Good predicts can stop Zekrom in it's tracks before it gains any momentum. (Don't forget M-Rayquaza is our saviour now.)

10. Aegislash - C
Has it's niche in countering those fairies and maybe even 'some' physical attacker but no that good, drop it a rank imo.

11. Mega Scizor - C/ C-
I don't see the reason for Mega-Scizor is in B-, it isn't that great a Mega-Evo to use? But feel free to argue with me on this one, haven't really seen it being that 'effective'.

12. Slowbro - Unrank
lol, Unrank this right away. I'd use Numel over Flame Orb Slowbro as a matter of fact.

13. Heatran - B-/ C
What, Heatran is in B? o.O I think it should be in B-/ C (prefer C). The only thing is check Fairies, that too only to some extent (Focus Blast Xern, rip).

14. Arceus - Electric - D/ Unrank
As much as I like Electric type mons, they aren't close to viable in AG. So I'd prefer that Arceus Electric is pushed down to D from C or is Unranked.

15. Clefable - B
Clefable has its niche with Unaware and is able to successfully wall Set-up sweepers. But B+ is a touch higher, move to B imo.

16. Xatu - Unrank
Espeon > Xatu.

17. Slowbro Mega - D/ Unrank
Can act as a wall.... um, only somewhat and is a waste of the Mega-slot. Move to D or unrank imo.

18. Greninja - C-/ D
As I has said earlier many of the mons in the B-Rank deserve a lowering in rank.... Maybe they were kept there initially due to the buzz? I don't see why people should use Greninja and why it should be in B with Groudon. Lower it to C-/ D, or even maybe Unrank it idc (Sorry if I'm a bit too harsh on this one.)

I'll add more in the edit later, gotta sleep right now, ty guys.
You might want to edit in reasoning to your posts. All these are is "1-2 facts about the mon so it should be in x rank" but they don't really give any sort of thought process behind the noms, leading to some really weird ones like Clefable to B when it's obviously a terrible mon, or heatran to stay in C. Some of these don't even have reasoning either. In general when suggesting a change, you should say why you think it should happen, as none of these make any sense based on the reasoning you gave (other than xatu)

You might want to edit in reasoning to your posts. All these are is "1-2 facts about the mon so it should be in x rank" but they don't really give any sort of thought process behind the noms, leading to some really weird ones like Clefable to B when it's obviously a terrible mon, or heatran to stay in C. Some of these don't even have reasoning either. In general when suggesting a change, you should say why you think it should happen, as none of these make any sense based on the reasoning you gave (other than xatu)
I agree, but really Clefable still should get a rank even if it would be rather low. It does check some popular Arceus formes.

I agree, but really Clefable still should get a rank even if it would be rather low. It does check some popular Arceus formes.
Clefable can also work as a really reliable lead, as it can often successfully win a 1v1 with other leads at the same time as putting down rocks. The range of threats it deals with and the amount of people that are "unaware" of its abilities make it reasonably strong and definitely rate-worthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)