Singles Break that Core (Week 17: Hippowdon + Lucario + Dragonite) ~ VOTING (post #395)

Theorymon Suicune's a really good mon just in general. OHKO moves are a great way to beat stall and suicune is probably the most viable/consistent ohko move user.

My vote goes to 6tennis, Mega Gengar is just really effective at handling this core since it prevents each member from switching out while OHKOing Slowbro and eventually KOing Chansey due to Taunt removing Chansey's recovery.

My vote goes to NOVED. Mega Heracross can kill both of these mons quickly enough so that a toxic has no effect, and takes hits (even psychic STAB from slowbro) well enough to kill both Chansey and Slowbro without ever needing to switch out/getting KOd.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I LOVED NOVED

Mega Heracross is a great Pokemon and just tears apart this core completely. It does a more reliable job than most of the other options and doesn't have to tweak its normal set too much to do it.

PikachuCandy's set is cash tho $$$$

Voting for cant say. Glalie takes good advantage of this core with Disable as a fourth move, and it does pretty well against stall in general with the right boosts (Skarm does make Glalie want to cry though). No mega slot is nice, and Glalie isn't particularly that hard to make room for on a team. I didn't even know Glalie gets Disable, you learn new things everyday huh

TSM Misterfreek

Banned deucer.
Chansey and Slowbro. United they are powerful, divided they fall. Yet Chansey, being a normal type, is weak to Fighting. And luckily, Slowbro can TANK any fighting type move. But then again, Slowbro is Water/Psychic, which is a curse in some ways. For example, Slowbro falls to the likes of powerful Special Electric, Ghost, and Grass moves, but luckily, good old Chansey is there to save the day with is Uber Special Defense. However, Slowbro also falls to the likes of powerful Physical Bug Pokemon, which Chansey can tank only to an extent. So hopefully, you guys all see where I'm going at. The best way to break a Chansey/Slowbro core is to use a powerful Physical Bug/Fighting Pokemon like Heracross.

Heracross the destroyer. And Heracross gets a Mega Evolution, which is all it needs to destroy anything this defense core has to throw at it. Oh and, did I mention it gets Swords Dance? It can get a SD boost on a switch, and proceed to KO anything that comes in its way.

Heracross @ Heraconite
Ability: Guts/Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missle

Calculations Without SD Boost

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 400-480 (101.5 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 746-878 (116.1 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 280-340 (71 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But WAIT. What about Calcs with a SD Boost. Death to you, Mega Slowbro

+2 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 550-660 (139.5 - 167.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Problem Solved, Cased Closed!

Hey everyone check my channel out for hours of why I approve of heracross-mega and kick butt with it!
Vote for NOVED. Seriously, I think I talk enough about heracross on the channel and there's still so much more coming out so I think this week I will finally not be flagged for useless vote :)

My vote goes for NOVED. Not only does Mega Heracross have fairly high defensive stats to make it bulky, but just look at its base 185 attack it comes with! To top it all off, it gets STAB to both pin missile and close combat since it's Bug/Fighting, which are both super effective on Slowbro and Chansey by the way. Just Pin Missile the Slowbro with it's new Skill Link ability and throw a Close Combat on Chansey to OHKO it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I originally wanted to post a Thundurus myself but GroudonEmpire sniped me, I'd vote for him but I'm not sure I like the specially defensive spread. It also lacks Hidden Power Ice which is fantastic for bopping Gliscor; the most common third mon in this defensive trio.

I nominated Glalie because I use it myself and find it to be amazing against these guys (and Gliscor too since Frost Breath scares the shit out of it) but I can't vote for myself, so I'm going to go with Theorymon's Suicune as it's super similar and also a major threat in the metagame in general.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NOVED takes this week with his Mega Heracross nomination! Having the second highest attack stat in the entire game (not counting abilities) sure does give this thing insane wallbreaking powers.

Speaking of wallbreaking, another hard hitter is Mawile. It gets great abilities, a great typing, and also gets Swords Dance to hit even harder. One of its major downside is its really slow speed, which many teams make up for with one of the best speed control pokemon in the game: Porygon2! Porygon2 has insane bulk that can even survive a Mega Lucario's Close Combat and has access to Thunder Wave and Trick Room as speed control options to help Mawile clean up the game. What do you nominate to break down this core?

Happy posting!

Last edited:
NOVED takes this week with his Mega Heracross nomination! Having the second highest attack stat in the entire game (not counting abilities) sure does give this thing insane wallbreaking powers.

Speaking of wallbreaking, another hard hitter is Mawile. It gets great abilities, a great typing, and also gets Swords Dance to hit even harder. One of its major downside is its really slow speed, which many teams make up for with one of the best speed control pokemon in the game: Porygon2! Porygon2 has insane bulk that can even survive a Mega Lucario's Close Combat. It has access to Thunder Wave and Trick Room as speed control options to help Mawile clean up the game. What do you nominate to break down this core?

Happy posting!
broski wheres the link to amazing mega heracross video resources >_>

I nominate StallBreak TFlame for this core btw. The high ladder standard TFlame for this particular reason among others!

Talonflame @ Lum Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 76 Def / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

I expect Heatran nominations but I will say it right now. Many p2 with mmawile and tr carry hp ground. Otherwise Heatran would be the number 1 answer to this! Also keep in mind, those p2 tend to be offensive so ouchies!

Unlike Heatran, THIS TFlame doesn't have to deal with any crippling issues from what these guys normally run

COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY BUT COOL NOTE: if you REALLY WANT TO go even further beyond in terms of hard countering, replace brave bird with flare blitz. Only for this core of course, I WOULD NOT recommend using tflame w/o bb otherwise lol

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
IT'S TIME

Clawitzer @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

The destroyer of worlds takes these two to town with a little prior damage:

244+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 148-176 (77 - 91.6%)
244+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 111-131 (70.7 - 83.4%)
244+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 111-132 (70.7 - 84%)

The 12 Speed EVs allow it to outpace 0 Spe neutral natured Porygon2, allowing it to offload a big hit into Porygon before it can retaliate. Neither can switch in, and both are reasonably easy to get into range, especially if you're in the business of getting high damage rolls or Scald burns. Even if you can't get them into range, Clawitzer can 2HKO through Porygon2's Recover and Mega Mawile is left in the red and easily cleaned up. While frail, it can take one Mawile Sucker Punch or Porygon2 Thunderbolt, allowing it to nuke another day. Alternatively, if Porygon isn't carrying Thunderbolt then Clawitzer can take any of its other moves after stomaching a Sucker Punch. Pairs well with Rotom-Heat: it can switch into Thunder Wave and spread burns, whittling the pair into Aura Sphere range or outright demolish Mawile with STAB Overheat.

Born to break the walls

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Substitute

Even Mega Lucario can't beat this core ? Need something stronger !
Mega Medicham is perfect. It OHKOes both Porygon and Mega Mawile. It just needs not to get intimidated, and the trick room CAN'T be on the field. A Trick Room/Taunt Whimsicott will be appreciated this way : Using Trick Room twice gets the dimensions back to normal !
The substitute can also be very useful, to avoid a Sucker Punch or a T-Wave.

The calcs :
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 230-272 (119.7 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 169-199 (107.6 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Medicham: 99-117 (73.3 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​

Coming in with the jank:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Mega Camerupt demolishes a lot of common threats by way of its absolutely absurd Special Attack, decent bulk, and diverse movepool. How to counter a Trick Room core, you ask? Why, with one of the slowest Pokemon in the game of course! It can switch in on either member of this core, with little risk. Fire Blast and Earth Power destroy Mawile, while Toxic cripples Porygon2 and Fire Blast 2HKOing P2. Neither Porygon2 nor Mawile can really touch it back either, with a Tri Attack from defensive P2 only 4HKOing at best. It doesn't need prior damage, nor does it need to worry about speed control.

Last edited:

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Morning Sun
- Extreme Speed

I was looking at the usage stats for top 10 Pokemon that defeated Mawile and found this.
Flamethrower is a clean 2HKO on max HP Mawile, and isn’t affected by Intimidate.
Toxic is required to beat Porygon2 since Recover is a pain.
Morning Sun is reliable recovery despite low PP, even better on Sun teams or against Zard Y.
Extreme Speed is when the Pokemon’s speed goes to the extreme to pick off weaker foes.
EV spread is to prevent P2 from gaining +1 special attack when it switches in.

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Putting up my vote for THS and his Mega Medicham this week.
Cleanly OHKOs both mons in the core without too much trouble, has Sub to avoid status which is nice.
Unfortunately though Medicham can’t really come in on anything and any kind of status besides poison really shuts it down.
Other things Medicham is good for like Fake Out spam from Huge Power is OP due to lot of Sashes.
It’s an absolute beast which OHKOs Lando-T after Intimidate and OHKOs other bulky mons such as physically defensive Garchomp and Rotom-W.

Vote for 6tennis. Legal Primal Groudon what can I say? Other than bursting and tearing open teams in tr, MCamel has the super niche quality of being able to handle mmawile reliably outside of tr. While mcamel isnt quite the best to dismantle the core, it is literally one of very few mons that dont mind a few hits from mmawile as even knock off does measly damage due to holding a Mega Stone. Also, if the opponent sets tr up, which most successful mmawile teams run, then MCamel can easily dispatch of both, p2 and mmawile since it can ohko mmawile and can 1v1 many p2 at full hp. However, keyword is many. Mixed bulk p2 exist and I don't know if it's my poor luck or something else but even spdef p2 exist. Having toxic puts p2 on a timer, but MCamel lacks the recovery to take full advantage of toxic to actually break the core as reliably as Stallbreaker Talonflame. Arcanine is also a very cool pick that was NOT voted for ONLY because MCamel was nominated too!

Voting for GroudonEmpire. Talonflame is truly awesome for this core as it stalls both to death. It's an amazing set and pokemon as well too. Priority Brave Bird and roost stalling some other pokes like Mamoswine, Cresselia, and Ferrothorn is just part of the sweet deal. Using Taunt to stop TR is the only reason why I picked Tflame over bobochan's Arcanine. Arcanine was a really cool nomination and I was so set on voting for it when I first saw it, but then I realized the set didn't have Taunt like Tflame does lol.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fewer nominations this week, it is pretty tricky to find something capable of stomaching M-Maw's hits and not being totally messed up by P2's status moves (hence my lack of a nomination)

I'm gonna have to vote for GroudonEmpire, stallbreaker Talonflame is getting more and more popular, it's like a Sableye with actual offensive presence so it isn't so worried about opposing Taunt itself. It handily stalls this core out by resisting Mawile's STABs and stopping any of Porygon2's shenanigans with Taunt and proceeds to burn + Roost stall. Just watch out for the odd Stone Edge Mawile (5.9%), that'll hurt you

252+ Atk Huge Power burned Mega Mawile Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 76 Def (Roosting) Talonflame: 128-151 (69.9 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would vote for GroudonEmpire, but Facade exists, Swords Dance exists, bla bla bla. Other than that looks good to me though.
In any event, I'll vote for bobochan. Has all the tools it needs to take on this core, and they can't really touch back effectively.

My vote goes to 6tennis. Ever since the announcement of M-Cam and his ability/stats I knew he would be an effective way to deal with M-Mawile. Alongside that, porygon2 can't t wave it and tr gives it more priority. Not to mention it's not really affected by tri attack or ice beam.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GroudonEmpire breaks this core with his Stallbreaker Talonflame set! I really need to find time to add that in the Talonflame analysis lol.

This week, we pay homage to one of the earliest cores that was popularized in Gen 6: Hydreigon and Aegislash!

Though its popularity dropped down since the release of ORAS, this core is still a really solid option for a lot of balance teams. It's the only combination of Pokemon in the ENTIRE game (aside from other members of the Aegi family) that has a resistance/immunity to all 18 types. Their stats are not something you can take lightly, and they're both blessed with decent versatility. Don't forget to consider the (very probable) possibility of Hydreigon carrying a scarf for Garchomp and Charizard, or Aegislash carrying King's Shield for Blaziken.

Happy posting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)