The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make it sound like Dalton isn't playing at an all-pro level right now.

In year 5, Dalton has taken the same step forward that Matt Ryan took in year 5, that Peyton Manning took in year 5, that Drew Brees took in year 4, and that Joe Flacco tried to take in year 5 but he tripped after the playoffs. and is playing on the same level as Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Carson Palmer (lol) so far this season. While you're technically correct in that he will regress (only 4 QBs in the last 25 years have thrown for 9.1+ yards/attempt), Dalton is playing much better football than he was last year and definitely deserves a lot of the credit for the Bengals' offensive success. Having potentially a top 5 TE, a top 5 WR, and a top 5 (top 2?) OL certainly doesn't hurt. While his stats may seem too good to reflect his play, and they probably are, Dalton is still playing much better this season.

The Bengals might be the only team in the AFC that can compete with the Patriots. Only a few AFC defenses can hope to keep the Patriots <24 points or so (probably the Jets, Broncos, maybe the Steelers and Dolphins, and the Bengals) and only a few AFC offenses can score more than 24 points not counting garbage time (Steelers, probably the Chargers and Jets, and the Bengals). That leaves the short list of teams that can beat the Patriots as: Maybe the Steelers (they did pretty well without LB last time), maybe the Jets (they play this weekend, luckily), and the Bengals. These are the 4 most complete AFC teams by far unless Peyton Manning manages to turn things around after the bye (because, as good as that defense is playing, 1.5 offensive TDs per game will not cut it vs the Patriots!)

If you wanted to rank the NFC by the same metric I'd probably say the Cardinals, Packers, Panthers and maybe Eagles/Cowboys post-Romo have a shot. As much as it hurts to say, the Patriots absolutely should be the measuring stick for the rest of the NFL, coming off the SB and all, so I would wager that most of the top 8/4 teams come playoff time will be among those 9 or so.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh, Dalton's stats are certainly all Pro and he's playing much better than he has, I just think it's unfair to judge him as he literally has not been challenged yet. He's essentially been playing catch, allowing his stats to inflate. Now, if he can maintain those stats through a harder slate of games or otherwise show me his actual skill has increased, I'll give him more credit. Until then, I'm not going to buy it. To me, it seems less like an actual increase in skill and more like someone turned down the difficulty setting on his game. I hope he proves me wrong though, it'd be nice to see another team keep pace with the Patriots even if it's from my own division.

Eh, Dalton's stats are certainly all Pro and he's playing much better than he has, I just think it's unfair to judge him as he literally has not been challenged yet. He's essentially been playing catch, allowing his stats to inflate. Now, if he can maintain those stats through a harder slate of games or otherwise show me his actual skill has increased, I'll give him more credit. Until then, I'm not going to buy it. To me, it seems less like an actual increase in skill and more like someone turned down the difficulty setting on his game. I hope he proves me wrong though, it'd be nice to see another team keep pace with the Patriots even if it's from my own division.
The Steelers could compete with the Patriots now that Bryant and Bell are at full swing. If Ben comes back soon, they'll be dominant. In healthy form, the Steelers are one of the offensive threats in the league that scare me. The others being the Pats, Pack, Falcons, and Bengals.

i'm not a bengals or dalton fan by any means, but a 17 point 4th quarter comeback against seattle is not difficult? destroying the bills AT buffalo, in cold weather conditions is not difficult? andy dalton has been playing lights out, making all the throws, just give the man credit where it's due.

HOWEVER, i will say that i will not fully commit to this dalton hype (in real life, in fantasy he's already legit) until they win a playoff game. dalton could throw for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns this season but if he doesn't win a playoff game he ain't shit.

Come off it man, wins are a team statistic. Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton are a combined 4-10 in playoffs, but no one thinks Mark Sanchez, Colin Kaepernick, or even Joe Flacco belong in the discussion with them. The Bengals playoff woes are due to poor coaching first and poor QB play second, but Dalton is finally playing well this year. It might be beating a dead horse, but Joe Flacco was horrendous in his first 5 playoff games and 6/7 too, there's absolutely no reason Dalton can't continue his regular season success come January.

SF is so pathetic, Tomsula is getting fired for sure
The day he is fired and York keels over from some unknown illness, the better for the franchise. Either that or he lets the utterly useless Baalke walk and gets some advice from a GM or someone that knows wtf they're doing.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
LOL

144 yds and 27 pts wtf is wrong with EJ Manuel

edit: 27 pts because the jags holder is awful

Last edited:
The Colts aren't even a Top 20 NFL team and they'll probably make the playoffs

Abolish the AFC South

Better yet send them all to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)