Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

It sounds like a cool combo because Gengar could get rid of some threats for Blaziken with his trapping abilities. Apart from, Talonflame, maybe you should think of a way to deal with ground types cause both Gengar and Blaziken are weak to it.

Ayyyyyyyyy

So aside from the usage stats on the PGL, where can I find the Top 50 used mons this season? I saw a chart with the usage stats, and I was wondering where I can get that.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ayyyyyyyyy

So aside from the usage stats on the PGL, where can I find the Top 50 used mons this season? I saw a chart with the usage stats, and I was wondering where I can get that.
nouthuca is the one who provides those stats, but releases them at the end of each season. We won't be seeing season 12's for a little while yet.

So, based on the replies I've gotten, the core does work, but I need something to check both Ground types AND Talonflame. Is Rotom-W a good option? I like Thundurus, but Ground types tend to carry Rock moves so maybe that's not a great idea. In any case, can you guys tell me a good Rotom-W set to check Talon and Grounds? Rotom doesn't have a BSS analysis and I don't know if the OU set works. Thanks in advance!

In doubles, if I have a pokemon with an open move slot (mega altaria, aerodactyl), is it worth putting in tailwind if I don't build the rest of my team around that speed in mind?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
In doubles, if I have a pokemon with an open move slot (mega altaria, aerodactyl), is it worth putting in tailwind if I don't build the rest of my team around that speed in mind?
I would say for doubles (this is more like VGC btw) Tailwind is a pretty good option on Mega Altaria (Roost and HP Ground are other good filler moves) and regular Aerodactyl. On mega Aerodactyl Rock Slide is required while Sky Drop and Ice Fang are usually the best other moves. If you really don't need those Taunt, Wide Guard and Tailwind are pretty good options to help support the team.

So, based on the replies I've gotten, the core does work, but I need something to check both Ground types AND Talonflame. Is Rotom-W a good option? I like Thundurus, but Ground types tend to carry Rock moves so maybe that's not a great idea. In any case, can you guys tell me a good Rotom-W set to check Talon and Grounds? Rotom doesn't have a BSS analysis and I don't know if the OU set works. Thanks in advance!
Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

This set is a good set. Hope this helps!

GroudonEmpire's set works just fine, but I'm personally not a fan of Trick/Choice Item on Rotom cause normally the opponent can predict and switch into a mon who can benefit from specs or scarf, or worse, trick you into receiving another choice item through trick and the entire strategy backfires. This is especially so for Talonflame who's most likely gonna carry that choice band.

To me, Rotom is just that bulky guaranteed 4HKO tank, and that requires some switching around with your moves to respond to situations.

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry/leftovers
Bold Nature
252 HP/ 124 DEF/132 S.ATK

Will-o-Wisp
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Pain Split

With the special attack investment, you can OHKO talonflame with Thunderbolt and not worry about Hydro Pump missing. and the Defensive investment just makes you that much harder to take down, coupled with Will-o-Wisp and Sitrus Berry or leftovers as well as Pain Split for sustain, no physical mon outside of Charizard-X will be able to handle you.

Here's a couple calcs for you as well.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 124+ Def Rotom-W: 47-56 (29.9 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Same damage for Flare Blitz

132 SpA Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 164-194 (106.4 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GroudonEmpire's set works just fine, but I'm personally not a fan of Trick/Choice Item on Rotom cause normally the opponent can predict and switch into a mon who can benefit from specs or scarf, or worse, trick you into receiving another choice item through trick and the entire strategy backfires. This is especially so for Talonflame who's most likely gonna carry that choice band.

To me, Rotom is just that bulky guaranteed 4HKO tank, and that requires some switching around with your moves to respond to situations.

Bold Nature

Will-o-Wisp
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Pain Split

With the special attack investment, you can OHKO talonflame with Thunderbolt and not worry about Hydro Pump missing. and the Defensive investment just makes you that much harder to take down, coupled with Will-o-Wisp and Sitrus Berry or leftovers as well as Pain Split for sustain, no physical mon outside of Charizard-X will be able to handle you.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 124+ Def Rotom-W: 47-56 (29.9 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

132 SpA Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 164-194 (106.4 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I like the bulkier set like this, but honestly Pain Split is kinda bad and I would rather HP Ice for Mence / Chomp.

Bold Nature

Will-o-Wisp
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Pain Split

Specs Rotom-W has no need to trick a tflame. pretty much ever. That utility would be useful for walls more than anything. Specs hydro pump can clean 2hko and even ohko mons! Especially vs tflame and grounds, locking yourself into hydro pump only hurts if it misses, and even then rotom-w walls ground and tflame stab so it can afford it!

I personally like the bulkier set more, since Rotom would be a pivot for my team more than anything. There's also the fact that my Gengar set is an offensive one instead of the bulkier version, so I'd appreciate having something spreading burns around. In regard to the fourth move slot, I'm kind of unsure because PainSplit is pretty unreliable most of the time. I was thinking about Volt Switch, is it good or it only works on a Choice Set? Is HP Ice completely better? As I said earlier, breeding for it is a complete and absolute pain but I might as well just put BS on hold until I can get a Ditto (hopefully in the next Buckert giveaway lol).

In any case, its starting to look as if I want you guys to build my team for me and this is not the thread for things like that, so I guess for further teambuilding questions I'll head to the teambuilding help thread (altough it seems kind of dead) and keep this one for more general meta questions.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I personally like the bulkier set more, since Rotom would be a pivot for my team more than anything. There's also the fact that my Gengar set is an offensive one instead of the bulkier version, so I'd appreciate having something spreading burns around. In regard to the fourth move slot, I'm kind of unsure because PainSplit is pretty unreliable most of the time. I was thinking about Volt Switch, is it good or it only works on a Choice Set? Is HP Ice completely better? As I said earlier, breeding for it is a complete and absolute pain but I might as well just put BS on hold until I can get a Ditto (hopefully in the next Buckert giveaway lol).

In any case, its starting to look as if I want you guys to build my team for me and this is not the thread for things like that, so I guess for further teambuilding questions I'll head to the teambuilding help thread (altough it seems kind of dead) and keep this one for more general meta questions.
There's no 'next' Buckert giveaway, just contact him (or Most) if you want one.

As for the teambuilding help thread, it's only dead because no one has wanted help recently! Feel free to revive it if you need advice n_n

ok, so, before I dump much effort into BS Singles:

1) Is Alakazam (non-Mega, and the mega) viable at all? I've not done Singles of any metagame since like, 2012, so for non-serious purposes I intend to run around with my favorite Pokemon for the lulz.
2) Do I have to build my entire team around setting, and removing, Stealth Rocks?
3) How does one stop DD Mega Mence 1v1? Rocky Helmet Togekiss or something?
4) Are things like QD + Fiery Dance Volcarona or CM Virizion still good? They were honestly very good in BW2 singles, but I do realize Flying is everywhere now.
5) Sample teams or something I can look at? I kinda want to learn this meta a bit but know basically nothing other than VGC which is very different.

1) Is Alakazam (non-Mega, and the mega) viable at all? I've not done Singles of any metagame since like, 2012, so for non-serious purposes I intend to run around with my favorite Pokemon for the lulz.
2) Do I have to build my entire team around setting, and removing, Stealth Rocks?
4) Are things like QD + Fiery Dance Volcarona or CM Virizion still good? They were honestly very good in BW2 singles, but I do realize Flying is everywhere now.
5) Sample teams or something I can look at? I kinda want to learn this meta a bit but know basically nothing other than VGC which is very different.
1) kinda viable, not amazing
2) Nope, rocks arent as big here as they are in 6v6, still common but not so bad that your team needs a spinner or defogger, running either is usually a waste cause it's not really a guarantee that you'll face someone using rocks.
3) Not with togekiss, mostly with flying resists, priority thunderwave(which doubles as a flying resist), also other bulky helmet mons like suicune and cress with ice beam, p2 isnt bad either.
4) volcarona is pretty viable, often used with mence. virizion is bad :(
5) Yeah, you probably mostly wanna look at high rated japanese teams http://aaaapokemon.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-148.html this site here as a lot of good teams, they post the top teams after every season. google translate is a bit funky but you can usually make out the sets once you get used to it. Unless you speak japanese, if that's the case, navigating there will be a breeze :) There is a sample team thread on this forum but don't use it lol it's really old and there arent a lot of good teams, the japanese teams in that link are much much better.

Hope you enjoy BSS!

1) kinda viable, not amazing
2) Nope, rocks arent as big here as they are in 6v6, still common but not so bad that your team needs a spinner or defogger, running either is usually a waste cause it's not really a guarantee that you'll face someone using rocks.
3) Not with togekiss, mostly with flying resists, priority thunderwave(which doubles as a flying resist), also other bulky helmet mons like suicune and cress with ice beam, p2 isnt bad either.
4) volcarona is pretty viable, often used with mence. virizion is bad :(
5) Yeah, you probably mostly wanna look at high rated japanese teams http://aaaapokemon.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-148.html this site here as a lot of good teams, they post the top teams after every season. google translate is a bit funky but you can usually make out the sets once you get used to it. Unless you speak japanese, if that's the case, navigating there will be a breeze :) There is a sample team thread on this forum but don't use it lol it's really old and there arent a lot of good teams, the japanese teams in that link are much much better.

Hope you enjoy BSS!
What makes Virizion bad?

What makes Virizion bad?
well just in the top 12 usage it loses to gengar, blaziken, talonflame, aegislash, and salamence. grass just isnt a great type really, and if you want a grass type sweeper, you're better off using serperior which actually has useful tools like glare and recovery.

virizion just has mediocre offenses, its defenses are decent but the typing really isnt doing it any favors. its really hard to find anything that it could do particularly well. plus, for grass/fighting, breloom is a much more viable pokemon thanks to spore and a boosted priority move.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
1) I've used both Mega Alakazam and LO Alakazam a bunch before and they're both pretty awesome. Zam has ways to beat Blaziken, Thundurus, Rotom-W and Ferrothorn depending on the set it runs, but it's so frail and Aegislash completely roadblocks it. Not a big fan of Kangaskhan either thanks to Sucker Punch, but that can be worked around with Substitute and not all of them even run Sucker Punch. But yeah, "not amazing" kinda sums Alakazam up as long as Aegislash and Mawile exist :/

2) Basically what NOVED said, hazards are barely a thing here. The main setters you'll see are Garchomp and Hippowdon, and that's nothing that a Taunt Greninja won't fix for you :]

3) Again, NOVED's list is pretty comprehensive, stopping offensively with something like Mamoswine or Weavile isn't bad either. Just don't try to stop it Rotom-W because that's the pinnacle of unreliability.

4) Virizion has a niche I guess as a Kangaskhan stop + Spore immunity but Rocky Helmet Serperior can do that too, albeit more defensively. Most things just do its job better, and Talonflame and Mence obviously still exist :(

5) idk. We promise that the Sample Teams thread will get a revamp one day...

Imo rotom-w is best of as a bulky pokemon too. A choice set would be unreliable if you would check ground types with it cause they can switch in on a electric move and then youre stuck with it and lose momentum cause you need to switch out and back in. Will-o-wisp, t-bolt, hydro pump and one of light screen, toxic, t-wave and volt switch would need to work, according to what your team needs.

Demantoid

APMS Founder

There was a thread just posted with a bunch of successful japanese singles teams.

I'm looking into using support togekiss/clefable in doubles(scrappy skirmish). How do I know what EV spreads to use? I read the analyses but I'm still unsure.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
I'm looking into using support togekiss/clefable in doubles(scrappy skirmish). How do I know what EV spreads to use? I read the analyses but I'm still unsure.
I would ev it to survive an attack from Mega Metagross and dump the rest in Special Defense. In vgc most Megagrosses are jolly and run Iron Head but I'm not sure if there will be many running Meteor Mash.

I have some problems with scizor. I am planning to maybe run fire blast on clefable but clefable can only check it if it almost runs no hp or spdef investment. I saw on battlespot that scizor almost always runs adamant, but do you know how many scizors are invested in bulk and special defense? Or do you think its still worth it even if i cant ohko with clefable, for the switch ins or if it already has some prior damage? I know run heal bell on clefable but i dont use it too often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)