Media Videogame thread

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh i misread what i quoted, mb

but no, it isn't making the game artificially difficult. i'm not telling him to run through the game unarmed without ever leveling up or anything ridiculous. i'm just pointing out that you can easily waste your souls on stat choices that won't behoove you early on in the game, whereas ANY upgraded weapon after a few titanite shards will slug significantly harder. leveling up your character and not upgrading your weapons would actually be making the game artificially difficult!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why are you guys making this mutually exclusive? If you have the titanite, use it. It sounds like he's only just gotten to an area with good titanite drops (and it's here nor there but he shouldn't be fucking around with the master key). And he needs a blacksmith to use them anyway, so he either has to backtrack or activate the lift in the parish. So why go all that way and never level up? Even putting a few points into resistance, a complete trap stat, isn't going to make the game hard to complete in the long run.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why are you guys making this mutually exclusive? If you have the titanite, use it. It sounds like he's only just gotten to an area with good titanite drops (and it's here nor there but he shouldn't be fucking around with the master key). And he needs a blacksmith to use them anyway, so he either has to backtrack or activate the lift in the parish. So why go all that way and never level up? Even putting a few points into resistance, a complete trap stat, isn't going to make the game hard to complete in the long run.
?

it isn't being made mutually exclusive, he asked for tips...

what you're essentially saying is "do whatever"

i mean sure, you'll get through the game fine, but he asked for advice, as in, an edge, tips, prior knowledge

sure you can level resistance and make the game no harder... but when being asked for advice, why would you advocate that? or not advocate the superior alternatives?

?______?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
it isn't being made mutually exclusive, he asked for tips...
You're saying to save souls for shards he doesn't have and blacksmiths he isn't near when he is likely losing souls that could be spent leveling up. Leveling up isn't "doing whatever" it's one of the main mechanics of the game. Characters suck shit at first. You don't need to hold back from leveling and keep that true.

sure you can level resistance and make the game no harder... but when being asked for advice, why would you advocate that? or not advocate the superior alternatives?
Where the fuck do you get that I'm telling him to level resistance? I keep saying it's bad. I didn't explicitly tell him not to at first, but fuck man, Dark Souls is such a badly system designed game and I'm not going to tell him every little detail, there are walkthroughs for that. You're not telling him which weapon upgrades are bad (most of them) so how is telling him to upgrade weapons any different?

Yeah, he asked for tips. I gave them. "don't use one of the four face buttons" "don't level up in this rpg" "level up your gameplay" is not at all helpful.

Jebus McAzn
You probably have a good idea whether you want Str or Dex (what kind of weapon have you used so far) or Int or Faith (have you been using spells?). If it's any of the first three, level those up a bit. After that you can't go wrong with Endurance. And some people here would probably want you to munchkin and not touch Vitality, but it's still a good stat as far as most players are concerned. It's super cheap to upgrade weapons, so worry about that when that becomes an option.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Maybe you're expecting him to play it 5 times and then move on to the rest of the series? It's a mostly single player game, there are no advanced strats for people who are "already good" and it's not even as hard a series as it's made out to be anyway.

A whole face button is dedicated to switching between one and two hand. 2-h gives damage that makes a wide variety of bosses in the first half MUCH more manageable while some normal enemies are made easier when you're able to stagger them better. Damage is king, which is why most people play as ghosts in Demon's.

Plus it's wasteful not to play this way. Attack with 2-h, switch to shield when spacing/regaining stamina. Why just throw away extra damage by not using the quick switch?
I guess those are valid points. when i was playing on my 1st playthrough I had the mindset of playing more defensively and blocking while hitting and draining their hp bit by bit, safer than just hacking at them and not relying on shield much.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I guess those are valid points. when i was playing on my 1st playthrough I had the mindset of playing more defensively and blocking while hitting and draining their hp bit by bit, safer than just hacking at them and not relying on shield much.
Using the shield is definitely MORE important to learning the game, but I think by around Gaping Dragon/Chaos Witch people have to learn when to 2-h.

az

toddmoding
You're saying to save souls for shards he doesn't have and blacksmiths he isn't near when he is likely losing souls that could be spent leveling up. Leveling up isn't "doing whatever" it's one of the main mechanics of the game. Characters suck shit at first. You don't need to hold back from leveling and keep that true.

Where the fuck do you get that I'm telling him to level resistance? I keep saying it's bad. I didn't explicitly tell him not to at first, but fuck man, Dark Souls is such a badly system designed game and I'm not going to tell him every little detail, there are walkthroughs for that. You're not telling him which weapon upgrades are bad (most of them) so how is telling him to upgrade weapons any different?

Yeah, he asked for tips. I gave them. "don't use one of the four face buttons" "don't level up in this rpg" "level up your gameplay" is not at all helpful.

Jebus McAzn
You probably have a good idea whether you want Str or Dex (what kind of weapon have you used so far) or Int or Faith (have you been using spells?). If it's any of the first three, level those up a bit. After that you can't go wrong with Endurance. And some people here would probably want you to munchkin and not touch Vitality, but it's still a good stat as far as most players are concerned. It's super cheap to upgrade weapons, so worry about that when that becomes an option.
real talk what the fuck is wrong with you? i'm clearly using the example of leveling resistance because it is, as you admit, a trap stat. i'm saying that YOU'RE using that as an example of a thing you can do and make the game no harder, but when someone asks you for legitimate advice, you are of course going to try to give them advice

i didn't ever say "don't use one of the four face buttons". i didn't even mention the face buttons, or the argument you were previously having about 1hing and 2hing, so don't even start

i didn't ever say "don't level up in this rpg"; leveling up weapons is an rpg mechanic, and it is unequivocal that leveling up your weapons will give you more of a boost, faster. in addition, i didn't say shit about "saving for shards he doesn't have and blacksmiths he isn't near". if he has even begun the game then he has access to one immediately, and the second shortly, and you pick up plenty of titanite shards just moving around the burg/parish and defeating hollows there. get your head out of your ass

and "level up your gameplay" you make sound like an asinine "git gud" putdown, when i in fact quite clearly explained what i mean and how learning game mechanics in terms of avoiding dmg from the enemy trumped stats. there's no need to be so ridiculously hostile and disingenuous

your advice is bad, i offered alternate advice. there is absolutely zero reason to be this colossally petty, and you certainly won't get away with twisting my words and putting words in my mouth

Jebus McAzn christ this got blown out of proportion. enjoy the game, and hopefully the series if you stick with it. i think they're all great, and with a ton of depth and replay value

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Jebus specifically came in talking about how he was told not to level up, and that this was making the game hard and that he was uncertain about it. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth anymore than I've EVER said "put points into resistance because it won't hurt" and I'm certainly not "trying to get away" with anything.

I have zero idea why your last post had to come off as a threat.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some other PS3 suggestions are Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX and 2.5 HD ReMIX. Each one is like $20 and both come with 2 full games (4 total) plus the cliffnotes version of 358/2 Days and coded so you (probably) won't get lost.

Do note that they have longer load times than the originals because no data install and there are some bugs because they literally tested nothing (there's a guaranteed glitch in the final battle of II that makes it harder and would have never gotten through if they had actually checked anything), but they're still worth buying if you ever wanted to get into the series.

If you do get them and have not played any of the games before, do not watch the 358/2 Days movie until after you've played II. It ruins the experience of II's prologue, which will make it harder to enjoy because it's literally 3 hours long and knowledge of Days will make it feel like a waste of time.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Or you could avoid KH in its entirety because all it does is put disney characters in an emo teen setting with a shitty prolonged story in a game with decent gameplay.

Kingdom Hearts is funny, I used to love it, then I played BBS in KH2.5 remix and that single-handedly turned me off the series (sort of). Gameplay-wise the inconsistency in boss behaviours in that game was beyond frustrating. Tells for boss attacks were few and far between, and often when I'd attack they'd be reeling before my blows, only to recover mid-combo and launch into their own attack, all while I couldn't even do anything due to the lag from my own attack. It often felt like it was up to me to play on the aggressive but I was inconsistently punished for doing so. That inconsistency was absolutely maddening.

The story of BBS is terrible as well, and highlights flaws in the way the games are structured. Each individual level is a microcosm of the disney world it represents, with its own story which struggles to have any relevance to the main plot. You see this in the original KH where the main plot is almost entirely neglected until the end of the game, where it thankfully proves itself worthwhile.

Also Sora is possibly the most moronic character I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing, as well as being such a goody-two-shoes that it's just sickening. Practically all my favourite moments of the series come from Roxas-Axel-Xion. Days was actually my favourite game of the series as well.

That's my piece on the series anyway

anyone get zestiria? is it worth it?
The fact that the Tales series exist for 20 years already is definitely noticeable in the game. The game improved a lot compared to its predecessors and I personally can't think of negative points. The game feels really comfortable, but that's maybe the biggest trap. I can't find the real wow-factor in the game. In my opinion Zestiria is a must if you crave a JRPG on newer consoles, but it's absolutely no system seller.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
horizon zero dawn got some behind the scenes stuff released the other day, and it's pretty exciting to see how much detail they're putting into the bosses/combat, its sort of like scifi monster hunter to the max

for example, the trexy thing from the e3 trailer is now revealed to be called the thunderjaw, with NINETY THREE removeable /destructable armor plates, each with their own damage counters, over 20 animations, 12 attacks, the works. Pretty insane

I was excited for it until I learned the best girl isn't a perma party member...possible spoiler?
There's a ton of Japanese drama about that particular plot twist and all the story implications it has. I think this is pretty relevant considering the selling points of a 60 hour rpg is story and character development.

On a side note rodan went from 'HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AWESOME PUGILIST YOU SHOULD TOTALLY GET IT' to 'holy shit this game is really bor...zzzzzz' in a mtater of hours rofl.

There's a ton of Japanese drama about that particular plot twist and all the story implications it has. I think this is pretty relevant considering the selling points of a 60 hour rpg is story and character development.

On a side note rodan went from 'HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AWESOME PUGILIST YOU SHOULD TOTALLY GET IT' to 'holy shit this game is really bor...zzzzzz' in a mtater of hours rofl.
Well the main issue was they marketed her as one of the main characters (animated episode, ads, had her figurine in the initial batch) and then to remedy their dumb mistake they released dlc stuff in regards to her. So you gotta pay extra to get what should have been there in the first place. After such a long delay for the game all we get is a mediocre result. False advertising ftw. I think if they didn't promote her so much it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
False advertising ftw.
I know what you mean. I bought one of these

And now I feel totally lied to. Like, what the hell? Don't the writers know that a character is something that comes in at the beginning of a story and leaves at the end? Don't even get me started on that George R. R. Martin fellow!!!

I know what you mean. I bought one of these

And now I feel totally lied to. Like, what the hell? Don't the writers know that a character is something that comes in at the beginning of a story and leaves at the end? Don't even get me started on that George R. R. Martin fellow!!!

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
is zestria the only recent-ish option for a decent jrpg on either 3ds or ps3?

i occasionally dabble back into video games on random weekends but prefer to play jrpgs to get that nostalgic feelings from 15 years ago so im always on the lookout for a decent to good new jrpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)