Applying to college

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So I have great news: I was able to settle my Financial Aid problem at Metropolitan State University and now I'm getting what is basically a full ride via FAFSA grants. Pretty pumped about that and that I don't have to bother getting any loans or paying out of pocket. :)

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm looking for a major in the arts/illustration/animation/indust.design, basically anything that can launch me into some sort of conceptual art field in the future (although anything involving drawing how I want is a plus for me)

I'm a junior with a 4.0 GPA (not sure what it is weighted, I can get that if you'd like), in the IB Programme, I'm currently in MVC with an AP BC Calc (5.0), AP Gov (5.0), AP Stat (5.0), and AP USHist (5.0) under my belt. I'll be taking SAT II's Lit and Math L2, along with the SAT over the rest of the year, and debating whether to take the ACT. I'll say more if you need more, at this point I'm pretty lost and I know I'm pretty late to the party so any and all advice would be appreciated.

Questions:

-Just how important would you say SAT's are, really? And do ACT's hold any merit outside the Calif. area?

-Are there any colleges with SAT II requirements of over 3? Anything I should know about SAT II's in general?

-Is it a good idea to jump for colleges with cross-college shenanigans going on (e.g. do art studies on one campus and do other studies at another)

-Anything I should work on more /focus on? In general what should I focus on to prepare for colleges?

-Yale tips? Would it be feasible for me to apply to Yale? (Ivy League school with awesome art program, so high risk/reward)

-and honestly anything at all you think I'd find important.
1.) SATs and ACTs are important because they are really the only "level" playing field between applicants. ACT is Cali + Midwest and SAT is more east coast. With your background I don't think either test will be that terribly difficult, but take both and see which one you do better on and use that score for every college that accepts it (most accept both). Looks like Yale requires all scores, though.

2.) Never really seen anything over 3 SAT IIs, but frankly I see little merit in these when AP tests are more comprehensive and have higher stakes in general. In general, schools use these as extra hoops to jump through because once you get past a certain level on some of these tests, the difference between two candidates is minimal. Best bet would be to take US History + Math II + Lit and aim for 700+ scores while I cry that more tests are necessary.

3.) There's nothing in your profile that disqualifies you from getting into any school. Now the question I would ask is, "What exactly interests me about conceptual art and where can I find more information on pursuing this in college / turn it into some type of a career?" Once you have an idea of answering that question, the rest of your profile (school selection, essay writing, extracurriculars) will fall into place.

Your profile to me screams "liberal arts school" so I would suggest looking into those. Research as many of those schools as you can, apply to the ones where you think you can get some type of aid, and pick the one that gives you the most flexibility financially and academically. I wouldn't worry about prestige as much because if you are exceptional at drawing/art/animation, your portfolio will sell itself as much as your diploma will. Then pray to god you don't go into student debt hell for the next ten years and things will work out just fine :) .

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
You need to demonstrate interest. Idk the precise procedure for tennis, but i assume you can compile a list of accomplishments / examples (like "semifinals at eastern regionals", "top 75 in the nation", "5-star recruit named by [tennis shit]", highlight tape, depends on the conventions of your sport) and send them to coaches along with your scores / grades. If the schools are REALLY REALLY good at tennis you might get something claiming their recruiting class is full but most times you'll get a response, some will be perfunctory ("wow! cool that u emailed, dude, u look to rlly like tennis a lot!") but some will give u clear indications you should keep talking, come up for camp / prospect day, visit etc. Especially if they emailed your dad - thats a really good sign. If you harbor any desire to go to Harvard, check it out - dont cut off your opportunities because of self-doubt.

bout the process, there are two types of recruits typically going to schools. the first are the kids who are the very top picks in that sport, for whom the coaches will lay "chips" down w/ admission to ensure acceptance. this phenomenon is why cornell can have top-10 wrestling and lacrosse teams. Idk how good you are - if you are stellar, you have a shot at being this. fortunately w/ your grades you can be the second type - the kid with adequate grades for whom athletics serves as a "differentiating factor" that means you are Super Special Enough to get into the schools you are talking about. You have the SAT and maybe the GPA (idk which courses youve taken) to have a shot at going to a bunch of schools (all of them) if you have something to separate yourself - tennis might be that. So yes, youve got a shot either way.

On the process: the Ivy schools dont offer athletic scholarships. So they cant dangle an offer necessarily, but if they ship you up and house you for a night, give you a tour etc, it is a p strong indication they want you. one of the problems is they might say "it looks very good if you apply early here" as a way of pinching off your options, so be ready to decide early senior year as thats when you have the coach's blessing. Good luck!
Top 75 should get you some D1 scholarships at some pretty good places if you are committed and really want to play tennis for four or five years. Get your film on HUDL, send it to coaches interested in you, and enjoy the recruitment process. Also take all of your official visits -- as an athlete you get 5 and these are on the school's dime to give you royal treatment -- are you really going to turn those down once you narrow down your list? Then make sure you like the facilities (you're gonna spend a lot of time in those), the coaches (those might change though), and the academic support staff (lots of perks for athletes in terms of tutors and "free stuff" in today's college athletics). It might not be Cornell or an Ivy league school, but as a good athlete you can get an outstanding education and a lot more personal attention if you ask for it.

brightobject if you want an art school with the Ivy culture/prestige you should look into RISD/Brown. They have contiguous campuses and I think it's fairly easy to cross enroll if you wanted to take art courses at risd and try some others at Brown (my cousin who recently graduated took a few classes at Brown even though she was like a 27 ACT student). It's actually higher ranked than Yale art afaik and admission is a little less competitive than Yale undergrad (cursory google gives me a ~27% acceptance rate) and I'd guess that building a portfolio for art major admissions allows for more reuse between applications than typical essays (not too familiar, might be wrong).

Top 75 should get you some D1 scholarships at some pretty good places if you are committed and really want to play tennis for four or five years. Get your film on HUDL, send it to coaches interested in you, and enjoy the recruitment process. Also take all of your official visits -- as an athlete you get 5 and these are on the school's dime to give you royal treatment -- are you really going to turn those down once you narrow down your list? Then make sure you like the facilities (you're gonna spend a lot of time in those), the coaches (those might change though), and the academic support staff (lots of perks for athletes in terms of tutors and "free stuff" in today's college athletics). It might not be Cornell or an Ivy league school, but as a good athlete you can get an outstanding education and a lot more personal attention if you ask for it.
He got offers from Harvard and Penn, so no athletic-based scholarships per se.

But definitely contact the coaches ASAP (like Monday of next week). The process is time-dependent.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Harvard and UPenn sent my dad emails and are mildly interested in me, but I doubt I could get into Harvard even with the help of the coach. Nothing yet from Cornell but I think there's still time left. College coaches don't start sending you serious offers until later in your junior year, and I don't think I can contact coaches myself yet. Army, Navy, Air Force, and LSU have sent me stuff too but I'm not interested in them.
edit: there are some strong academic schools that tennis won't help me get into because their tennis teams only accept guys in the top 20 for their graduating class. These schools include Duke, University of Virginia, and Columbia, so little to no chance there.
Penn tennis could be a good fit. I was friends with a girl on the team and she totally had time for a life and academics etc. I also know some other athletes on Penn soccer, fencing, rugby, etc and they all had lives.

There's also no issue with dropping tennis part way through if it's too much. Your academics are hardly below average even at a top school.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hjwang imo if you manage to get recruited seriously by the coaches for tennis programs you are basically guaranteed admittance as long as your academic stats are passable (and from your post yours are more than enough). I used to swim competitively and basically if there is a mutual interest between a coach recruiting for a team and a high school athlete they WILL be able to sway admittance in your favor. Former teammates of mine are swimming now at Yale, Hopkins, MIT, hella top tier schools. of course there are different standards for who gets recruited between athletic programs (ie Harvard vs MIT) but definitely don't underestimate the influence recruiting can have for you. All the athletes I know were good students as well but nothing exceptional besides their ability, so without the coach recommendation they would've probably just been another crapshoot.

and yeah questbridge can basically guarantee you admission as well if you qualify for it I think, there's a kid I went to HS with who wasn't the brightest but is attending Hopkins because of that program, it's only for low-income students however

No College Confidential is the home of insecure high school juniors and seniors who want to get into dick measuring contest with ridiculous "chance me" threads to validate their shallow mindsets that getting into HYPSM is the most important thing in the world.
This too but the good posters are very helpful haha

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
This too but the good posters are very helpful haha
Everywhere except the "chances" threads. Pulled up mine from a few years ago and lol can't believe some of the info I shared. A few weeks after posting that I got into my first choice school (Wisconsin) and spent the rest of my senior year waiting for other schools to reject me just so I could send in my security deposit faster.

Okay, as a first-year college student who's recently familiar with the college admissions process and looking for literally any reason to procrastinate doing his calculus homework, I'll hop on my e-soapbox and give some advice about applying to college/selecting schools. More the latter than the former.

This post obviously only applies to United States freshman undergraduate admissions. Smart PhD/Masters and non-American students can scroll down if they please ;)

1. College admissions are an investment, not a service contract.

Colleges care about what you're going to do, not what you've done. Think about what colleges look for; they're looking for people that are going to get a degree and use that degree to improve the reputation of the college and give back to the college down the road. Admissions officers are paid to sniff out the people that are most likely to do that; colleges are investing one of the seats in their class of 2018 in you so that you'll one day represent that college as an expert in whatever field you study. What does that mean? It means that not all 3.8 GPAs are created equal. If you slacked through your freshman year but pulled a 4.0 your last three, you look a ton better than the freshman-year hero who made straight B-minuses his junior year. Upward trends matter because what you did at age 17 matters a lot more than what you did at age 13. You're not going to be blacklisted by your dream schools just because you forgot to turn a paper in when you were 13 years old and got a crappy grade in English because of it if you demonstrated the maturity and responsibility to pull that grade up the next few years.

By the same token, if you peaked at age 14 and have been a complacent ass your last two years, expect colleges to look the other way. College admissions officers are looking for people that will make their university look great in the future, not looking to reward high school students who hit certain GPA and SAT benchmarks because their mommies and daddies made them. If you don't try on your essays and expect admission to XYZ University because your GPA and SAT exceed their accepted academic profile, don't be shocked when the acceptance letter goes to the kid next door. I can personally attest to this. I applied to Georgia Tech because I thought my 2350 SAT (far above their middle-50% of accepted students) would make them foam at the mouth with the possibility of me attending their school. I crapped through their essays, sent the application at the last second, and waited for the acceptance letter. I was waitlisted. They ultimately rejected me. I made myself look like an asshole with those essays (they weren't condescending or anything, just obvious "last-minute" essays) and Georgia Tech told me "If you didn't try on your essays, why would we expect you to try on our coursework?".

When building your application, think of why the college should invest a seat in their lectures and a bed in their dorms on you. Why are you going to be the next great University of _____ graduate?

2. Love your safety schools.

Most colleges can be boiled down into "reaches", "matches", and "safeties" based on how likely they are to admit you into their class. A "reach" is a school that you would be lucky to be admitted to, a "match" is a school where you would have a good, but not guaranteed, chance at admission, and a "safety" is a school that you won't lose any sleep over being admitted to. Assuming you have the finances to apply to many schools, it's likely that you'll be applying to some reach, match, and safety schools. When selecting your safety schools, don't think: "Ugh, what bad schools should I apply to in case I don't get in anywhere good?". When selecting your safety school, think: "What schools with high admission rates would I really like to go to?" The only difference between a "reach" school and a "safety" school is the admission rate. If you want to be an engineer but don't have the MIT/Stanford/CalTech profile, I guarantee you there are great engineering schools that you can get into that are 95% as good as those three. There is a chance that you have a bad day with admissions and only get into your safety, but you should be just as eager as the guy who got into his dream school. If you love your safety school, you can't lose at college admissions.

Do you want to be a businessman but don't have the grades for Harvard or UPenn? New York University is ranked 5th in the country* in business and accepts a less-than-intimidating 35% of its applicants. The University of Michigan is tied for 2nd* in the country and accepts 36.5% of its applicants. Indiana University-Bloomington is rated in the top ten* in business and accepts over 75% of its applicants. Are you a future engineer with no shot at MIT or Stanford? Georgia Tech is an elite engineering school that lets in over half of its applicants. Purdue University-West Lafayette is a top-ten* engineering school with an admission rate far above 50%. These are just a few examples; if you're looking for an Ivy-quality education without an Ivy-quality resume, check out what schools specialize in what you love. If you look hard enough, you will find safety schools that you would be honored to attend.

*These rankings are the 2014 editions of the U.S. News and World Report Undergraduate Business and Engineering rankings. More on these later.

Furthermore, you are not "too good" for your safety school. No matter what school you go to, odds are you aren't the smartest person there. If you're in your first class of 500 students, there's a 499/500 chance someone there is smarter than you, even if it's at your safety school. If you get snubbed by some schools and have to go to your safety, wear those rejection letters like a chip on your shoulder. Don't think "this school lets anyone in, I'll be the smartest person on campus." If you want to be the smartest person on campus, if you want to make straight-A's and come out with a 4.0, get ready to put in the hours. Just like you did in high school :)

3. College rankings are a guideline. Your goal is not to hit the high score on the US News Rankings List.

Let's face it. Every one of you has probably glanced at the U.S. News and World Report College Rankings at least once. I would like to remind you that these rankings are one publication's estimate of the prestige and quality of education of the country's universities. Moses did not come down from Mount Sinai with these rankings etched in stone and say: "Yahweh hath commanded you to research what schools your SAT scores correspond to, apply to the highest rated ones, and then see if you beat your friends in the Admissions Bowl!" For example, the University of Chicago is rated 5th in the country by the USNWR. If you're a pre-law student, you might pick it over Princeton because of how prestigious Chicago's Law School is. On the other hand, if you're a future engineer, you wouldn't bat an eyelash at Chicago because it doesn't offer engineering undergraduate majors. If you're a future engineer and want to study engineering, odds are you'd take the 41st-ranked University of Illinois over the top-5 Chicago. Don't fret over U.S. News rankings. Your friend is not smarter than you because they got into a higher school on the U.S. News list, your friend is not smarter than you because they got into a more selective school than you, and your friend is not smarter than you because they got into a school you didn't. College admissions are not an end-all be-all predictor of life success. To compare it to sports (about the only thing I'm good at making comparisons to), just because Princeton didn't draft you first overall doesn't mean you can't have a wonderful career playing for 62rd-ranked Clemson. If your friend gets into a great school (or any school, for that matter), congratulate them. If you get into a great school, be humble but excited. Getting into a great school isn't an accomplishment, getting a degree from a great school is.

Out of the two schools I got into, I chose the one lower on the USNWR rankings list. I do not regret my decision, but if I chose the other school I would probably be just as happy. If you're choosing between two schools you love, even if they're your safety schools, you're in a win-win situation.

Look at Walrein's post on the previous page. He is not any less intelligent because he wants to go to Missouri. If he were to turn down Princeton for Missouri, he does not magically lose IQ points. Neither will you. Go to the school that works best for you, not the generalized student reading the USNWR.

4. Start early on your applications. Apply at the right time to each of your schools.

You're competing with literally millions of people from across the globe for that chair in a lecture hall at Harvard. Every minute you're not working on an application is a minute where someone else is. Finish your essays early so more people can critique them. If your SATs are low, take them a second time. Remember, the second semester of high school literally could not matter less to your life (outside of AP Exams), so bust your ass now and take a well-deserved eight-month break from January to August. In fact, you probably wasted your entire ten-minute Smogon break reading this post, so get back to work!

If you have one, singular dream school, apply Early Decision. Start on your applications as soon as possible so you are totally finished by the time the Early Decision/Early Action deadlines roll around. Remember, you can't change your Common Application essays once you send them, so the real deadline for those essays is November, not January! Early Decision does increase your chances of getting into a school, so if you really want to boost your chances of getting in somewhere, apply ED. Your admission chances will never be higher. (Non-Restrictive) Early Action vs. Regular Decision isn't that much of a boost, so if you want to use the time between November and January to brush up your essays, SATs, SAT IIs, or GPA, then it's usually the better idea to wait.

5. Panic. Get stressed out. Lose sleep.

Because come June of 2014, you can look back and see how silly it was how stressed out you were over college admissions :P

Good luck to everyone applying to schools this year, may you all get into your dream schools! (and do well at them!)

Look I don't want to be a shameless school-promoter but Michigan has a library with like 4000 playable video games and a Pokemon club. Just saying.
Just sort of reposting this since its probably the most important post here. Just wanna say that no matter where you end up, you'll be happy for sure. College is truly an experience guys

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Hjwang said:
Without a likely letter of admission, will coaches still be able to sway the admissions officers into letting a recruit in or will tennis just count as another extracurricular?
Yes, particularly with your grades. Tennis teams need to be larger than 8 kids, and you dont need to be "forced" in w/ subpar grades - but you need to know the coach to get him to put in a word for you at admissions, even if it isnt a formal letter. Which you might even get tbh, idk how good at tennis the Ivys are and top 75 sounds impressive

toshimelonhead said:
No College Confidential is the home of insecure high school juniors and seniors who want to get into dick measuring contest with ridiculous "chance me" threads to validate their shallow mindsets that getting into HYPSM is the most important thing in the world.
what's the M in HPYSM?

what's the M in HPYSM?
"morehouse college"

Anyway, on a serious note, I am currently applying for transfers to MIT and Cornell for Engineering. However, I have the time but not the funds to go visit the MIT campus or talk to MIT students/reps. Its prestige is already a well-known fact, but I want to learn more about the school in terms of life, engineering curriculum, and a plethora of other information that are not usually disclosed on a website page. I've looked into some of the research MIT's Aerospace department is into (as well as Lincoln Lab). Is there any way to procure more specific information about a school you're interested in without visiting or talking to representatives? If so, please lmk.

And I've made phone calls to the respective departments before, and the information they provided me wasn't so helpful.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow it's hella late but I guess I'll still throw in some of my progress and a few questions in here too. Yay for 13 days left.

So I've already been talking with Bughouse a lot recently because I used to really want to go to UPenn, but then I realized that they don't actually offer a major that I really really like, and tbh I wouldn't be going to Wharton either so I didn't think it would be worth it. Instead right now I'm Early Decisioning to Johns Hopkins. I've basically completed my application at this point, Common App Essay / Supplement / Recommendations / Resume and all, but I guess there's still time to make changes if I need to.

The funny thing is that this "step down" from UPenn to Johns Hopkins has really confused my family and a lot of my friends; they think I can do better. It's fun being asian

But actually not really because I think my chances are definitely hampered since I'm 1. not a girl 2. chinese. My grades are pretty good (Im sorry I cant give numbers because I dont know how the fuck my school's GPA works but it's somewhere around straight A level in all Honors / AP courses. If that means anything) and I got a 2350 on the SAT on my first try, but those are all pretty average numbers among the people I compete with at the school I go to. My extracurriculars are largely centered around volunteer work, and Im a captain of like 1 club in school (debate) and that's as far as they reach, unfortunately.

Generally nowadays I'm pretty stressed out and my confidence has taken a huge blow because of it. I dont know. As I've said my support system thinks I can do better, all the while I'm really nervous and unsure of whether I can even get into Johns Hopkins in the first place. And then comes the question do I really want to go to Johns Hopkins? The main reason why I've made this decision is because it's one of the best schools for my intended major (Public Health) but is that really a good enough reason? And my mom says that if I want to study graduate level in the future (as I'd have to with this major) then it'd be better for me to go somewhere cheap, easy, and local like Rutgers. Or shoot for a scholarship in one of the middle level schools. It's hella expensive too, I mean it's been tough for me to really hold that fact with much weight but it does exist. Especially when some odd Ohio University offers me like 124k$ just for being a national merit semifinalist / finalist.

So besides that uncertainty I'm also really not confident in my essays. For my Common App I wrote a story about my first time volunteering and how that changed my outlook on the practicability of certain skills (violin) and for my supplement I wrote about my passion for health related issues and service, and how that ties into the many research / internship / volunteer opportunities at JHU. I feel like the subjects are too simple though, and there are also a lot more meaningful things that I do in my free time that I didn't write about, like literally last night I saved a man's life on a rescue squad by doing CPR for 40 minutes. College counselors and friends have told me that they're great essays but I feel like they're not particularly deep or insightful, which could hurt since I've met the admissions counselor for my region and he's legit boring af. Maybe that's why not many people get into JHU from my school (even though we send like ~20 kids to ivies every year)

And if I dont get into my ED Im pretty screwed too because my Senior year grades are drastically shittier. I've been a straight A student for the past three years of high school but Im definitely not getting an A in AP Lit (I have an EIGHTY right now) and Im struggling to get an A in AP Physics C. I guess partially it's because I'm definitely not trying as hard as I used to but hrrrrng dont make me think about that I dont want to deal with it

SO I guess in short after this long ass rant my questions are:
1. Is it worth going for prestigious but expensive colleges if you're pretty sure you're just gonna go graduate later?
2. Are my nerves acting up and my essay topics are fine or should I stop convincing myself that they're ok and rewrite them
3. HOW do I regain confidence in my abilities and my decisions
4. FOr real though, how Im like 2 inches away from giving up and just going to Rutgers

Thankss

EDIT:
Oh and one last thing. It might seem trashy that I'm fluctuating so much on my decision for first choice and at this point still am not even sure, but that reflects more upon my personality and the fact that I don't care too much about WHICH college I get into since on the one hand while I certainly dont want to face failure I also dont see a major difference between level and prestige in the top schools that Im considering. So "dream school" level for me is like a handful of maybe 5 reasons why I'd want to go here instead of anywhere else and that's already a pretty significant amount of caring. Maybe it's horrible I think this way but honestly will I prosper that much more if I go to like Columbia instead of Johns Hopkins??? I dont think so

Last edited:
"The funny thing is that this "step down" from UPenn to Johns Hopkins has really confused my family and a lot of my friends; they think I can do better. It's fun being asian"
this may sound harsh, but mindsets like this are as dumb as it gets. there isn't a single human being smart/dumb enough to succeed at JHU but not at Penn, and visa versa. you can pretty much insert any two colleges and get to a similar conclusion. the only reason someone would be more successful going to one school over the other is personal preference.

go to the school where you think you'll be the happiest. prestige debates are idiotic. i went to rutgers solely because of price and made a huge mistake.

And if I dont get into my ED Im pretty screwed too because my Senior year grades are drastically shittier. I've been a straight A student for the past three years of high school but Im definitely not getting an A in AP Lit (I have an EIGHTY right now) and Im struggling to get an A in AP Physics C. I guess partially it's because I'm definitely not trying as hard as I used to but hrrrrng dont make me think about that I dont want to deal with it
WHAT? AN EIGHTY? NO A IN PHYSICS C? SEE YOU AT COMMUNITY COLLEGE BRO.

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this may sound harsh, but mindsets like this are as dumb as it gets. there isn't a single human being smart/dumb enough to succeed at JHU but not at Penn, and visa versa. you can pretty much insert any two colleges and get to a similar conclusion. the only reason someone would be more successful going to one school over the other is personal preference.

go to the school where you think you'll be the happiest. prestige debates are idiotic. i went to rutgers solely because of price and made a huge mistake.
No, I totally agree, and that's what I try to tell them! JHU is probably one of the top 10 schools in the entire nation. It's definitely prestigious enough, if that even matters. It's not like UPenn or even Harvard is gonna be significantly better (but they are going to be significantly more stressful for sure!)
But I feel like at least in my parents' point of view they think I would be "wasting my talent" if I didnt go to an Ivy League. I dont buy into that though, technically I consider Hopkins to better than a lot of the Ivy Leagues, especially in med fields.

WHAT? AN EIGHTY? NO A IN PHYSICS C? SEE YOU AT COMMUNITY COLLEGE BRO.
Lol I remember the first time ever I got a B+ in a marking period was in eighth grade and I cried, and now I get B+s in marking periods all the time and dont care and looking back I feel like an idiot. Still though, an 80 is definitely low for my standards. Though, it's not so bad because it's senior year and Im not gonna use AP Lit irl either

Im not the kind of person that works particularly hard at anything, I usually just ride on talent / luck / minimum necessary. Shitty that I realize this right before college apps... at least it doesnt show in my performance... yet

Fun story: the sole reason why Im not applying to Georgetown is because they rewuire three SAT IIs and I only took 2. Not about to do that again

Electrolyte, just wanted to mention I'm a JHU alum (recent too) so if you have questions, go for it.

Regarding the question "is it worth it to go to prestigious/expensive colleges if you're just going to graduate later". First, if you're worried about money, I'd advise against something like a binding early decision. I applied to a lot of schools for undergrad and I was essentially left with two money tiers: local state schools that basically gave me a full ride, and better schools that gave me a schoarship or good financial aid, but not both. JHU gave me no scholarships but the financial aid I was offered essentially let it match the price of the other schools anyway.

For graduate school the application process is hard, the acceptance turnout is way worse than undergrad, and you have to give yourself the best odds. Going to a better school for the education is a good idea, but if you're proactive anywhere it goes a long way. As for money, you really need to be aiming to be funded going into your graduate program. I'm currently in my second year of grad school: in my first, I was supported by a grant, and for a while, I'll be on a teaching assistantship, where I teach a course for the university for my funding. So if all you're worried about it having to spend later, you shouldn't expect to do that if you apply to the right places.

Also you're absolutely right that when you get to a certain level of prestige your choice after that doesn't make much of a difference. What affects you most is how you interact with your college experience. For me, I did research while I was in physics, and took Grad classes/read advanced texts with professors when I settled on math.

Last edited:
this process fucking sucks. to avoid being a snob or looked down upon, i won't disclose the school but I was on their website which explicitly said you can apply to >1 college in the school. talk to the admissions office, and that page was outdated. talked to a local representative at a night time presentation or whatever, and they said the same as the website did. like, honestly...

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
I'm so lost on how to write for my essay prompt. I've gone through at least three drafts, and all of them have turned out terrible. Any writing tips would be greatly appreciated. The prompt is: "Please tell us about the particular life experiences, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring specifically to our campus that will enrich our community".

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey for people thinking about Hopkins, it's a very hard school to do well at compared to its peers, so if you think your GPA will actually matter (like if you want to apply to med or law school), then you might be better off going to a school of similar caliber that grades a bit easier (think Brown). Just food for thought.

As for public health, a bachelors in public health won't really let you do anything. Hopkins has the best public health school in the country and one of the best med schools too, but you can get into their MPH program from any top school as long as your GPA is okay (3.6+ is nearly a lock, but that's hard to hit at Hopkins undergrad) and your GRE is above average (which isn't hard). Hopkins med is a crapshoot even if you're coming from Harvard, so don't go to Hopkins undergrad just to try to get into Hopkins med. Hopkins also has a reputation for being cutthroat (though I'm sure it's at least slightly exaggerated and probably depends on what you're doing ie premed vs like history or something).

If anyone is considering going into a healthcare field and wants advice, feel free to PM me. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the field, particularly from an admissions standpoint, and I can help you target specific undergrads that will align well with your goals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)