Challenge The Scramble Challenge - Mark 2

Man, I realized it's been over two years since I finished the previous Scramble.
I think it's time to go for another round.

This time, let's go with Alpha Sapphire.
Trading only for trade evolutions.
As far as difficulty goes, feel free to go as hard as you want, as long as it allows some creativity (Previous Scramble had a Pokemon limited to Supersonic. Let's not have something like that this time). Also try to avoid unnecessary tedium.
I guess I should also point out that the challenges should be made with no Exp. Share or O-Powers in mind (Will only be used if grinding is absolutely necessary, but I really doubt that will happen). Lastly, no having a single Pokemon solo the Champion. That's just rude for Steven.

Annoying the Sableye
Roadagain take Annoying the Sableye.

There are a few Pokemon that have been annoying me in online battles these past few days, and Sableye is one of them.

• No Mega Evolving Annoying. Ever. He's annoying enough without it.
  • Must solo every Pokemon that is either on my team or in the same evolutionary line as a Pokemon on my team. (My team consists of Hydreigon, Weavile, Rotom, Gengar, Aegislash, and Volcarona.)
  • Solo all Mr. Mimes and Mime Jr.s. This game isn't big enough for two annoying Pokemon, and Mr. Mime definitely qualifies as annoying.
  • Learn and keep Dazzling Gleam as soon as possible for even more annoyance.
  • Finally, since these were Double Battles that Sableye was annoying me in, Annoying must be led in the Tate & Liza fight and never switched out.
Too easy? Too hard? Let me know and I'll change it.
Red the Torchic
Take "Red" the Torchic. Because of its pride and anger, if it KOs another Pokemon or another Pokemon KOs yours, it has to solo their entire team. Red can only forget 4 moves so choose wisely. Also if your entire team gets KOed (you have to have Red in your team for this), you have to wonder trade Red, and all the rules apply to this Pokemon that did to Red. He has to solo Wallace to become Blaziken, and he is only allowed to battle hordes and trainers, but you are allowed to catch another Pokemon with him. Have fun!
Geico the Aron
MrMoo take Geico the Aron. As everyone knows, fifteen minutes can save you fifteen percent or more on Weakness Policy insurance! Call today to get your free quote!

Your Aron does not mind being as obnoxious as possible, and will go out of its way to learn moves that:
-are sound-based
-raise its evasion
-lower enemies' accuracy
-paralyze
-flinch (ONLY IF you also know a paralysis move--flinching moves may only be used on paralyzed Pokemon, Rock Slide may be used in Doubles+ if any one target is paralyzed)
-raise/drop random stats
-confuse
-Taunt or Torment
-Attract
-Protect/Detect/Mat Block/Crafty Shield/Wide Guard/Quick Guard/whatever you call these moves
-have a secondary effect with an activation chance strictly greater than 30% and strictly less than 100%
-have 70% or less accuracy
You may not use DexNav to catch your Aron, and as such it cannot learn Egg moves.

Full list of usable moves (note: some are post-game only, asterisks denote flinch moves):
-Mud-Slap
-Headbutt*
-Protect
-Iron Head*
-Rock Slide*
-Metal Sound
-Snore*
-Water Pulse
-Double Team
-Attract
-Swagger
-Secret Power (this is one of two ways to induce paralysis!)
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Blizzard
-Thunder
-Focus Blast

Firstly, turn EXP. Share off and keep it off. Aron knows that it is terrible marketing to give away free products, and its teammates will have to rightfully earn the EXP they do get. Of course, it comes at the price of not being able to reap free EXP, but the idea is that Aron will earn so much himself that he won't need it, and screw the rest of his team, right?

Now, when you get to Slateport Beach, you will, instead of battling the trainers, make a bee-line to Rydel's shop in Mauville City, skipping as many trainers as possible (if you hit spinners that's okay). Then grab your Mach Bike and get back to Dewford to catch your Aron. Now have it solo every trainer on the beach of Route 109, Slateport City, Route 110, and Mauville City. Stop your solo when Aron reaches Level 21. Do not let Aron level up beyond level 21 until you reach Wattson. Then, head to Mauville Gym and have your Level 21 Aron solo Wattson.

As Aron knows, one of the most effective advertising techniques is success stories. Since Aron is now a walking Weakness Policy commercial, it must solo every trainer-owned Fighting-type and Ground-type Pokemon not soloed by another Pokemon. If your Aron faints during one of these soloes, either revive it and continue the solo, or black out and try again. In addition, it must solo five wild Pokemon of each type to evolve into Lairon.

As Lairon, it wants revenge. In Gen VI, it is no longer possible to find Arons before fighting Brawly, and it views this missed opportunity to advertise a great atrocity. It will boycott every gym leader whose typing it either has an SE STAB against (regardless of whether it is allowed to use said STAB) or whose typing it resists. Unfortunately, this means every gym from Lavaridge to Mossdeep, so in order to stay in shape, Lairon insists on soloing all trainer-owned Pokemon whose STAB is SE against it, unless it conflicts with another solo. However, when you reach Level 46, stop these solos. In fact, stop leveling up altogether. Then, once you reach Wallace, have your Level 46 Lairon solo him.

After soloing Wallace, your Lairon will gain a lot of fame. You may now evolve it. As an Aggron, it now content--it has made a living, albeit as a walking advertisement. It is now free from any restrictions for the rest of your game.

Roadagain I was gonna give you an original scramblemon but nah fuck that you can take the Aron I gave to MrMoo above.

Last edited:
Kittttten take Land the Tailow and Sea the Wingull.

These two birds are best friends, and believe themselves to be kings of the land and sea. They must always enter a Double Battle together, as they are best friends, and if one faints, the other will switch out.

Land is convinced that he is the prince of the earth, and is determined to prove it to the Ground-types who rule it. Solo fifteen trainer-owned Ground-types to evolve. Sea knows that he is the ruler of the waters, and has to prove it to the Water-types who swim there. Solo fifteen trainer-owned Water-types to evolve. In addition, the two decide to team up to beat the Mossdeep gym! Solo the entire gym using those two, and they must be the two mons to defeat Tate and Liza

An important rule: if one of this duo fails a solo, the other mon must come in and make it up for them! Finally, have them each solo one Elite Four member of your choosing.
Accepted!

I still need one more Scramblemon! Even though this thread died for like a month since I put up the challenge.

Kittttten take Slacker the Slakoth.

Slacker is pretty much the opposite of Tryhard. As a result, it may only learn Normal-type moves and may never enter Doubles+ battles together with Tryhard. It may also not learn any TMs, and must learn Slack Off ASAP (if you don't want to delay evolution that's fine--but Heart Scale it ASAP).

Slacker does not want to participate in any Gym Leader battles when you first catch it. However, after you defeat Brawly (which you will do ASAP), you will enroll it in a training regimen. At this point, it may evolve into Vigoroth. As a Vigoroth, it is very eager to make up for its laziness as a Slakoth. Thus, have it solo every trainer in every gym you enter, including the gym leader, unless it conflicts with another solo. Finally, solo Norman to evolve into Slaking.

Norman shows Slacker the true power of its final form, and as a result it wants to enter it as quickly as possible, so do so. However, upon evolution into Slaking, it goes back to its lazy ways. It may never again participate in any Gym Leader battles, but it must solo one Elite Four member. After all, what better test of power is there?
Forgot, Rivalry has to solo the Lavaridge Town gym. I'll have it solo Wattson and Norman, ok?

Forgot, Rivalry has to solo the Lavaridge Town gym. I'll have it solo Wattson and Norman, ok?
Kittttten take Slacker the Slakoth.

Slacker is pretty much the opposite of Tryhard. As a result, it may only learn Normal-type moves and may never enter Doubles+ battles together with Tryhard. It may also not learn any TMs, and must learn Slack Off ASAP (if you don't want to delay evolution that's fine--but Heart Scale it ASAP).

Slacker does not want to participate in any Gym Leader battles when you first catch it. However, after you defeat Brawly (which you will do ASAP), you will enroll it in a training regimen. At this point, it may evolve into Vigoroth. As a Vigoroth, it is very eager to make up for its laziness as a Slakoth. Thus, have it solo every trainer in every gym you enter, including the gym leader, unless it conflicts with another solo. Finally, solo Norman to evolve into Slaking.

Norman shows Slacker the true power of its final form, and as a result it wants to enter it as quickly as possible, so do so. However, upon evolution into Slaking, it goes back to its lazy ways. It may never again participate in any Gym Leader battles, but it must solo one Elite Four member. After all, what better test of power is there?
:P

Roadagain take Annoying the Sableye.

There are a few Pokemon that have been annoying me in online battles these past few days, and Sableye is one of them.

• No Mega Evolving Annoying. Ever. He's annoying enough without it.
  • Must solo every Pokemon that is either on my team or in the same evolutionary line as a Pokemon on my team. (My team consists of Hydreigon, Weavile, Rotom, Gengar, Aegislash, and Volcarona.)
  • Solo all Mr. Mimes and Mime Jr.s. This game isn't big enough for two annoying Pokemon, and Mr. Mime definitely qualifies as annoying.
  • Learn and keep Dazzling Gleam as soon as possible for even more annoyance.
  • Finally, since these were Double Battles that Sableye was annoying me in, Annoying must be led in the Tate & Liza fight and never switched out.
Too easy? Too hard? Let me know and I'll change it.

EDIT: Fixed a grammatical error.

Man, I realized it's been over two years since I finished the previous Scramble.
I think it's time to go for another round.

This time, let's go with Alpha Sapphire.
Trading only for trade evolutions.
As far as difficulty goes, feel free to go as hard as you want, as long as it allows some creativity (Previous Scramble had a Pokemon limited to Supersonic. Let's not have something like that this time). Also try to avoid unnecessary tedium.
I guess I should also point out that the challenges should be made with no Exp. Share or O-Powers in mind (Will only be used if grinding is absolutely necessary, but I really doubt that will happen). Lastly, no having a single Pokemon solo the Champion. That's just rude for Steven.

I'll be giving out Challanges later, just want to reserve this post just for my own shenanigans.
Take "Red" the Torchic. Because of its pride and anger, if it KOs another Pokemon or another Pokemon KOs yours, it has to solo their entire team. Red can only forget 4 moves so choose wisely. Also if your entire team gets KOed (you have to have Red in your team for this), you have to wonder trade Red, and all the rules apply to this Pokemon that did to Red. He has to solo Wallace to become Blaziken, and he is only allowed to battle hordes and trainers, but you are allowed to catch another Pokemon with him. Have fun!

Last edited:
MrMoo take Geico the Aron. As everyone knows, fifteen minutes can save you fifteen percent or more on Weakness Policy insurance! Call today to get your free quote!

Your Aron does not mind being as obnoxious as possible, and will go out of its way to learn moves that:
-are sound-based
-raise its evasion
-lower enemies' accuracy
-paralyze
-flinch (ONLY IF you also know a paralysis move--flinching moves may only be used on paralyzed Pokemon, Rock Slide may be used in Doubles+ if any one target is paralyzed)
-raise/drop random stats
-confuse
-Taunt or Torment
-Attract
-Protect/Detect/Mat Block/Crafty Shield/Wide Guard/Quick Guard/whatever you call these moves
-have a secondary effect with an activation chance strictly greater than 30% and strictly less than 100%
-have 70% or less accuracy
You may not use DexNav to catch your Aron, and as such it cannot learn Egg moves.

Full list of usable moves (note: some are post-game only, asterisks denote flinch moves):
-Mud-Slap
-Headbutt*
-Protect
-Iron Head*
-Rock Slide*
-Metal Sound
-Snore*
-Water Pulse
-Double Team
-Attract
-Swagger
-Secret Power (this is one of two ways to induce paralysis!)
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Blizzard
-Thunder
-Focus Blast

Firstly, turn EXP. Share off and keep it off. Aron knows that it is terrible marketing to give away free products, and its teammates will have to rightfully earn the EXP they do get. Of course, it comes at the price of not being able to reap free EXP, but the idea is that Aron will earn so much himself that he won't need it, and screw the rest of his team, right?

Now, when you get to Slateport Beach, you will, instead of battling the trainers, make a bee-line to Rydel's shop in Mauville City, skipping as many trainers as possible (if you hit spinners that's okay). Then grab your Mach Bike and get back to Dewford to catch your Aron. Now have it solo every trainer on the beach of Route 109, Slateport City, Route 110, and Mauville City. Stop your solo when Aron reaches Level 21. Do not let Aron level up beyond level 21 until you reach Wattson. Then, head to Mauville Gym and have your Level 21 Aron solo Wattson.

As Aron knows, one of the most effective advertising techniques is success stories. Since Aron is now a walking Weakness Policy commercial, it must solo every trainer-owned Fighting-type and Ground-type Pokemon not soloed by another Pokemon. If your Aron faints during one of these soloes, either revive it and continue the solo, or black out and try again. In addition, it must solo five wild Pokemon of each type to evolve into Lairon.

As Lairon, it wants revenge. In Gen VI, it is no longer possible to find Arons before fighting Brawly, and it views this missed opportunity to advertise a great atrocity. It will boycott every gym leader whose typing it either has an SE STAB against (regardless of whether it is allowed to use said STAB) or whose typing it resists. Unfortunately, this means every gym from Lavaridge to Mossdeep, so in order to stay in shape, Lairon insists on soloing all trainer-owned Pokemon whose STAB is SE against it, unless it conflicts with another solo. However, when you reach Level 46, stop these solos. In fact, stop leveling up altogether. Then, once you reach Wallace, have your Level 46 Lairon solo him.

After soloing Wallace, your Lairon will gain a lot of fame. You may now evolve it. As an Aggron, it now content--it has made a living, albeit as a walking advertisement. It is now free from any restrictions for the rest of your game.

Also PSDuckie MrMoo asked for an Omega Ruby Scramble lol

Roadagain I was gonna give you an original scramblemon but nah fuck that you can take the Aron I gave to MrMoo above.

PSDuckie
I can certainly accept this challenge as it is, but there's only very few Pokemon from the list that pop up. There's one Sneasel and later, a wevile in a rematch, and you can find wild Deinos after Kyogre is done. Larvesta pop up in the Mirage Forest.
Chances are, I'll be seeing none of these. Deino maybe at Meteor Falls during Delta Episode.

MrMoo
Accepted.
I'm assuming that the soloing Wallace portion carries over to whatever new Pokemon comes from WT in regards to their final evolution.

AOPSUser
accepted.

That's 3 out of 6 'mons down. If you want to throw in a challenge, here's the first post with all the current Pokemon for convenience

Now, time to deal out some 'mons.
MrMoo
Catch a Cacnea or Carvanha. If it's male, name it Gomez. If female, Sharlene. Now, this Cacnea/Carvanha is aiming to become the best thug in Hoenn. To do so, he will seek out the other thugs/delinquents of Hoenn, to learn how to thug.
For each Street Thug/Delinquent he/she solos, you may learn a new move, otherwise he's stuck at whatever he has. (To note, there's 7 Thugs/Delinquents in the game that matter for this challenge. There's two before you can catch a Cacnea/Carvanha, which won't count since they're not thug enough. These are both located at Route 109, which is Slateport Beach) to evolve into Cacturne/Sharpedo, he must solo at least 6 of these thugs (The last one is at Victory Road. Let's not wait until that). They must always have a Dark-type move, since that's what thugs do.
As a Cacturne/Sharpedo, to claim their place as the best thug, they must solo a certain Pokemon of Sidney (Cacturne has to solo Cacturne, while Sharpedo has to do Sharpedo)

I think this is a pretty simple challenge, but I personally really like it.

...hm. I tried looking through the last few pages, but was MrMoo actually the only one waiting for challenges?

PSDuckie
I can certainly accept this challenge as it is, but there's only very few Pokemon from the list that pop up. There's one Sneasel and later, a wevile in a rematch, and you can find wild Deinos after Kyogre is done. Larvesta pop up in the Mirage Forest.
Chances are, I'll be seeing none of these. Deino maybe at Meteor Falls during Delta Episode.

MrMoo
Accepted.
I'm assuming that the soloing Wallace portion carries over to whatever new Pokemon comes from WT in regards to their final evolution.

AOPSUser
accepted.

That's 3 out of 6 'mons down. If you want to throw in a challenge, here's the first post with all the current Pokemon for co

Now, time to deal out some 'mons.
MrMoo
Catch a Cacnea or Carvanha. If it's male, name it Gomez. If female, Sharlene. Now, this Cacnea/Carvanha is aiming to become the best thug in Hoenn. To do so, he will seek out the other thugs/delinquents of Hoenn, to learn how to thug.
For each Street Thug/Delinquent he/she solos, you may learn a new move, otherwise he's stuck at whatever he has. (To note, there's 7 Thugs/Delinquents in the game that matter for this challenge. There's two before you can catch a Cacnea/Carvanha, which won't count since they're not thug enough. These are both located at Route 109, which is Slateport Beach) to evolve into Cacturne/Sharpedo, he must solo at least 6 of these thugs (The last one is at Victory Road. Let's not wait until that). They must always have a Dark-type move, since that's what thugs do.
As a Cacturne/Sharpedo, to claim their place as the best thug, they must solo a certain Pokemon of Sidney (Cacturne has to solo Cacturne, while Sharpedo has to do Sharpedo)

I think this is a pretty simple challenge, but I personally really like it.

...hm. I tried looking through the last few pages, but was MrMoo actually the only one waiting for challenges?
Thanks man, and yeah it was only me waiting...

Also PSDuckie MrMoo asked for an Omega Ruby Scramble lol
Oops! I guess I'll think of something else then.

EDIT: MrMoo take Not A Shiny the non-shiny Grimer.

This Grimer just wants to be shiny. However, The Dice (my name for the RNG) are not with him, and he's just an ordinary purple Grimer.

• Not A Shiny may not fight any non-shiny wild Pokemon. He may, however, fight trainer-owned Pokemon regardless of whether they are shiny or not.
  • Solo Norman to evolve.
  • In the Delta Episode, solo both Zinnia battles.
Too easy? Too hard? Let me know and I'll change it!

Last edited:
User 18 can I change it so I can forget 1 move for each evolution, and can I battle hordes with Suprerior. PSDuckie can I make it x levels below the gym leader's highest level Pokemon. Also can I have it 8 levels below the gym leader instead of 15. Thank you both.

User 18 can I change it so I can forget 1 move for each evolution, and can I battle hordes with Suprerior.
Yes, each time you evolve you can forget one move, as the superior move for a previous evolution may not be the superior move for his new form -- but remember you need to meet the evolution requirements in order to evolve. If you like, I can lighten the evolution requirement to say that Superior does not need to beat the solo on his first try in order to evolve, but the solos themselves are all still mandatory.
Superior may battle hordes, but if he enters the battle, he must solo the entire horde (to prove his superiority).

Yes, each time you evolve you can forget one move, as the superior move for a previous evolution may not be the superior move for his new form -- but remember you need to meet the evolution requirements in order to evolve. If you like, I can lighten the evolution requirement to say that Superior does not need to beat the solo on his first try in order to evolve, but the solos themselves are all still mandatory.
Superior may battle hordes, but if he enters the battle, he must solo the entire horde (to prove his superiority).
B
Yes and yes. I think I got a little carried away there with the difficulty!
Thanks guys! :D

Dreamox you wanted another mon, so I'll give you the mon that I was going to give MrMoo while I erroneously thought he was playing Y.

Take Gross Food the Trubbish.

• ALL moves must be Poison-type.
  • Solo all Grass-type and Flying-type mons not covered by other mons' solos.
  • Solo the Restaurant Le Yeah Rotation Battle to evolve. (You are allowed to put two other mons in the rotation, but Gross Food is the only mon allowed to be in front.)
Is this hard enough for you? If it's too easy or too hard, I can change it.

Looking forward to my first challenge.
-Pokemon Y
-Trading/Breeding allowed
-Hard difficulty
Thank you in advance!
edit: Ready to begin

~Accepting Camouflage the Burmy from Phione
~Accepting Sword the Honedge from Mygavolt
~Accepting Heisenberg the Abra from AOPSUser
~Accepting Nervous the Vigoroth from PSDuckie
~Accepting Gross Food the Trubbish from PSDuckie
~Accepting Evens the Pidgey from user 18

Last edited:
All right! Time to get this thing started!
-I am a boy named Chris
-Met May
-Saved Birch
-Got Rivalry
-Learned about PokeMarts
-Defeated May
-Got Pokedex
-Got Tryhard
-Made my way through Route 102
-Entered Petalburg Gym, talked to dad
-Helped Wally
-Saved and Quit

Time for another update!

-Made my way onto Route 104
-Caught Land and Sea
-Caught Slacker in Petalburg Forest
-Made my way through Petalburg Forest
-Passed Route 104 to Rustboro City
-Saved the Game

Team:
Rivalry lv. 13
Land lv. 12
Tryhard lv. 9
Sea lv. 8
Slacker lv. 6

I've decided to write updates to my scramble here in this post.

Hmm...I haven't started my HeartGold Scramble yet. And I have free time. *goes to play Hearthstone*
And so went my life for a week or so. Then one day I decided to man up and stop johning. I just need a moment or so to refresh myself on my mons...

Oh yeah, these guys. These challenges don't seem all that hard, except maybe that one Geodude. I did ask for Hard, after all. Maybe it's just my sadistic standards.

So anyways, I boot up my game, meet some "Professor" dude who can't even tell the difference between boys and girls (they're not that out of touch with reality irl!), remind him of who I am because I was having a little identity crisis. I don't think we even battle our gender counterpart in this game so there's no point in picking the girl.
It's an extra button press.

Anyways, since I seem to not be able to run without shoes, I crawl like a snail to my "mother".
...she just gave me the save and option buttons. What fourth wall are you referring to? Anyways, I change text speed to fast and off we go to Elm's Lab!

...if we can get there...

Seriously, why does your character walk this slowly?

Anyways, I go into the lab and pick up a Chikorita. I would make many jokes about it but this comic sums it up just about perfectly:

And apparently it's content to just take hits and not dish any back? Well, Pacifist it is. And it can't even use any of its attacks either since none of them are Grass-type!

...yeah no. I'm bending the restrictions slightly to let me use Tackle until I pick up a damaging Grass-type move. Hopefully that's soon. Well, soon relative to how slowly I'm walking.
*Potion*
...no Poke Ball? Well I guess the game really doesn't want you to be able to catch stuff before the catching tutorial. I'll have to see if the Cherrygrove Mart has some. Knowing this game they probably won't let me buy anything. Oh well.

Chikorita grew to Level 6!
Chikorita learned Razor Leaf!
Oh look, that was quick! The only problem is that I can no longer use Tackle. Which means catching Geodude will be a pain. As will trying to grind since it seems like everything on these early routes is either Pidgey, Caterpie, or Bellsprout.
At least Chikorita isn't so slow it can't run from anything.

...oh hey a "tree" with a conspicuous Apricorn in it! Nope, this definitely can't be in any way significant! Anyways, let's get to Cherrygrove.

Guide Gent: "Oh hey there! Let me take you around town! Owait you don't have running shoes! haha sucker!"
...everything and everyone is trying to rub that fact in it seems.
"Here is the sea, as you can see."
NO STOP IT! ONLY I'M ALLOWED TO MAKE SHITTY PUNS!
"Here's my home! Come in at any time!"
This is never explained. Why can I just barge into random people's houses without explanation? Well generosity really helps me so there's that I guess?
"Take these running shoes!"
:O:O:O speaking of generosity. Although why he couldn't have just given me the shoes earlier beats me. Even though your character never runs in any cutscenes anyways. Why is that?

Well we can finally run. So naturally we'd like to go and catch one of the slowest Pokemon in the game! Funny how that works. Let's just see if I can buy ite--
HOLY SHIT I CAN BUY ITEMS BEFORE THE CATCH TUTORIAL WHAT IS THIS
*items offered are Potion and Antidote*
...I take that back. Useless pieces of shit.

*A wild Metapod appeared!*
I can already tell grinding Chikorita is going to be a lot of fun. I can't even do it in Dark Cave because Zubats are so annoying. Anyways, let's go see Mr. Pokemon!

"I bet you thought this was Mr. Pokemon's house?"
Actually no, funnily enough. I've played this game enough.
"Here take this Apricorn Box!"
...it's a Key Item. How do you seem to have infinitely many of these to give to random strangers who barge into your house? Whatever, thanks for the pretty much useless item!

Mr. Pokemon: "Here, take this Egg! Give it to Elm! And don't tell him where it came from."
Great. Am I asked to deliver drugs? Is this "Mystery Egg" a codename for a drug?
*Runs into red-haired kid while running away*
Ow. Well you sure are in a hurry. And you don't even say a word? Okay.
*He sends out Cyndaquil*
...this is going to be difficult isn't it.
*Nope, turns out being level 9 and critting with Razor Leaf meant 3HKO*
Well that was easy. Wait, what? I took your trainer ID? I don't recall doing that, but okay. Maybe it's just masked generosity again.

*Meanwhile, back in Lab*
Police officer: "Rule number one: Whoever did it always comes back!"
WAAAAAAH THEY'RE NOT MY DRUGS I SWEAR JUST TAKE THIS "MYSTERY EGG" AND BEGON---
Wait a minute, are you really that incompetant? Maybe that's why Team Rocket still exists. Police loitering at crime scenes expecting the criminals to return don't exactly yield good productivity.
...Oh, it was that red-haired dude. Wait, I'm allowed to name him? Really? So I can just frame the person I don't like, say perhaps the one who gave me my hardest Scramblemon...
"Oh, so user 18 is his name?"

So anyways, now that we have Poke Balls, we can SIT THROUGH A FUCKSDLGETGSGKG CATCHING TUTORIAL LISDHLFDSGKlsrg

*one bloody fist and dented wall later*
Don't worry, that didn't actually happen. But why don't they just let us skip the tutorial like in Gen 1? This I never understood. Anyways, let's go catch a Geodude.
*I can't weaken it because no Tackle allowed*
...this is going to take a while isn't it?
*switches to HM slaves to chip away at HP one by one*
I think this is enoug--
*no shakes*
*second ball catches though*
...Well that was a relief. Now let's see what I want to name it...hmm I think I'll ruminate on that as I do a bit of other shit.

*ten minutes later*
Hmm maybe I should stop johnin--hey that's a perfect name! John the Geodude, welcome to the team.

*John kills stuff faster than Pacifist does even though it's like 5 levels weaker*
...this is going to be a fun run isn't it?

*Rattata deal 1-2 damage to Geodude*
Well it looks like Geodude is kicking ass for now. I dread what happens when we enter the lategame though.

...wait, I found a Pokeball in a Pokeball. How does this work?

...anyways, I find myself in Violet City. Route 33 looks like a good place to grind, though I certainly would like to solve the Ruins of Alph puzzles.
*one is available*
...well then.

Guy on Route 36: "This is HM06! It contains make-em-faint Rock Smash!"
...really? This makes things faint? Well I have to teach it to John as per restrictions but I doubt it'll make anything other than Rattatas faint.

*cue grinding montage*
Bellsprout give the most EXP on the route. They also are the only species that my team is completely incapable of killing. fml.
*an hour later*
Okay, Chikorita is level 15 and Geodude is level 11. Good enough. Wait fuck Sprout Tower is full of Bellsprouts isn't it?
*turns out, they're mostly level 3, so Razor Leaf 2HKOes*
Well that could have been much harder.
"Chikorita grew to level 16!"
Wait since I haven't soloed the Elder I can't let you evolve. Well that would have been easier since that Hoothoot has Hypnosis and I have exactly three Pokedollars left. Not exactly enough for an Awakening.
*lackey with Hoothoot*
...gdi
*Razor Leaf 3HKOes while Peck does less than 10 damage*
...hmm they don't really deal that much damage. Well, here we go!

"Elder Li would like to battle!"
Did GameFreak really make that pun?
*Chikorita 3HKOes Bellsprout*
Alright, out comes Hoothoot. Here comes our solo.
*Razor Leaf looks like a 4HKO*
*Growl*
*Razor Leaf crits and leaves him with a sliver of health, Peck does 11*
...really. Didn't even use Hypnosis. Well thank you for the free EXP and the TM70 Flash. Which Geodude can't learn.
*Chikorita does not level up as it 4HKOes second Bellsprout*
Well that didn't really matter, since I won't be using it in Violet City Gym at all. It can evolve next chapter for all I care.

*I waltz into Falkner's gym, with John the Geodude behind me, OHKOing literally everything with Rock Throw*
I'm more impressed that it managed to outspeed that Pidgey. Of course, he was level 12 and the Pidgey was level 8. Anyways, the Falkner fight was simple:

(Pidgeotto actually put me in the red with Gust, but that was the turn I killed it.)

So yeah. We are now done with our first badge, and much less painlessly than I anticipated. Of course, not having Chikorita solo Falkner was nice, since that would have lead to many many retries.

UPDATE ONE: Violet City Gym
Badges: 1
Retries: 0
(Pokemon will be listed from MVP to LVP in every update)

Level: 14
Nature: Naughty
-Tackle
-Defense Curl
-Rock Smash (HM)
-Rock Throw
TMs learned: 0
HMs learned: 1
Gym Leader [non-Falkner] soloed: no
Elite Four soloed (Round 1): no
Elite four soloed (Round 2): no
John currently suffers from Early Game Geodude syndrome. Naturally, all the grass is filled with, you guessed it, Grass-types, which neither John nor Pacifist can kill efficiently. However, even though it's a pain to grind, Geodude makes all the major battles early on so easy that it offsets whatever difficulties it has not being able to run away from level 4 Rattata. Later on, though, I expect the major battle performances to plateau while its difficulties elsewhere skyrocket. Not being able to evolve certainly doesn't help.

Level: 16
Nature: Brave
-Tackle (unusable)
-Growl
-Razor Leaf
-Synthesis
Elder Li soloed: yes
Light Screen learned: no
Pacifist is a Chikorita. It's actually really good at this point, but that's because it has 10+ levels on everything else in the game and has a 55 BAP STAB. Its offensive stats are actually equal because its Attack IV is shit, and -Speed shouldn't really matter on a defensive mon. But that's its main problem--it's almost purely defensive. Grinding it isn't that hard though, at least not until it's forced to lead every battle with Reflect.
I just realized how long I've johned this update. I think I finished playing this at the beginning of November, and here I am writing this on November 25th.

So anyways, as always there's a fuckton of loopholes in my challenges, and naturally I'd like to ABUSE THEM ALL! MUAUAHHAHAHA--ahem.

First of all, Geodude will learn every TM he gets, but I never actually have to replace any level-up moves. I'll only have a single slot for level-up moves once I get HM04, since my third slot will be rotating between TM moves, but guess what Geodude gets at level 29?

(Geodude is slightly less cool than Mamoswine.)

Also, all or almost all of the soloes are really easy to cheese with X-Items. In particular, Pride's soloes will be trivialized by certain items and moves. I can also buy TM16 for Pacifist so he can evolve before level 36, because I don't want to be stuck with a Bayleef for four more levels than I have to be.

Thus given the ease of some of the restrictions, I'll add another: each gym has to be soloed by something. And yes, I am doing Kanto, along with E4 Round 2 (Geodude's solo is going to be fun!) and Red. I will also change item restrictions to having to hold the items only if I own them, while remaining itemless if I don't (honestly, I don't think I'll ever bother getting that Leaf Stone).

But I don't have to worry about that now! Right now my main priority is progressing through the game.
...or is it?

*takes detour through Ruins of Alph*
So there's these tile puzzles to solve here. The first one is Kabuto, which is relatively simple, but the next few look convoluted. Especially Ho-Oh and Omanyte. Well I need Surf to reach any of the other three anyways, so I guess I'll just hightail it out of here.
NOW it's time to advance the plot!
...or is it?

Nah just fucking with you. Route 32 is long but uneventful. Geodude faints a few times to random Grass-types and Water-types when I'm being too careless.
"Pacifist learned Reflect!"
Oh yay. Let's see how many times I forget this restriction. Also I'm just going to say that I don't have to follow the restriction if Reflect doesn't have any PP. I don't even think I can buy Ethers?

"Wild Bellsprout appeared!"
Gah I swear every time a Bellsprout appears I want to gut something. They give the most EXP on the route and they also happen to be the only thing I can't reliably kill.
"Geodude learned Magnitude!"
...except for that.

Random guy: "You should buy a SlowpokeTail!"
...I'm a vegetarian. No thanks. Plus the money you have is conveniently maxed at 999999, one less than the one million you need to get the SlowpokeTail.
Speaking of which...

A million yen can't actually buy most of those things though. At least, that's what I assume currency in the Pokemon world is. Otherwise why would I be paying 200 for Poke Balls?

"Do you love fishing?"
...I've never fished before in this file? I don't particularly like it either.
"Here take an Old Rod!"
What is the purpose of giving out free Old Rods? Isn't that really bad business?
"Do you know how to fish?"
Yes I do.
"Well let me tell you anyways."
...why does this seem to happen every game. Can't GameFreak assume some level of competency? It's not like you can't talk to him again. It's also not like little kids are going to remember for more than like ten minutes.

So onwards to Union Cave it is! There's two paths, so I'll take the upward one because that's a dead end! What, you thought I was going for progress?
*TM39 Rock Tomb get!*
Well that can go over Rollout. Rock Throw is still better in 99% of circumstances though since Geodude either OHKOes or gets OHKOed.

So now let's go the right way! Which happens to be moving to the right. Who would have thought?
Also damn I'm so overleveled at this point. This one Hiker had a level 6 Onix. I had a level 19 Geodude.

The rest of the area is honestly pretty uneventful. Pacifist is struggling along while John handles pretty much everything with ease, becoming vastly overleveled. This might be a problem later.
Route 33 has two Apricorn trees and one trainer. That was...very pointless. At least it's not like one of those Kanto routes that has one patch of grass.

*Enter Azalea City, with cutscene featuring old guy getting assaulted by Rocket Grunt*
Damn, even the Grunts are dealing that much damage. No wonder the police can't do anything to them. Of course, sitting around their crime scenes doesn't exactly help.

There's a Gym in town but it's not open yet! Oh no, whatever shall I do? Maybe I'll visit Kurt's house?
...Yeah that makes no sense to me either.
Anyways Kurt runs off to the Slowpoke Well and tells me to follow. Once I get down into the well, I find Kurt laying on his back, which he apparently broke falling into the well?
Serves him right for being so impulsive.

In Slowpoke Well...there are no Slowpoke.
Actually, yes there are. Except it's like 10 or 15% encounter. Meanwhile, most of the cave is Zubat.
*goes through without encountering a single Slowpoke*
My point exactly.
*Pacifist can't take down Zubats and Koffings*
...yeah leveling Pacifist up is going to hurt. A lot.
*John gets a fuckton of EXP*
John on the other hand...

I don't understand the main character's motivation for...well anything really. Why does he need to kick Proton out of Azalea Town? Is it because he's a do-gooder? Is it because he has some sort of grudge against Team Rocket? Or is it because he knows he can't get through Ilex Forest without a badge that he can't get until he defeats Proton and can't get any other badges without going through Ilex Forest?
Probably the latter. That's my motivation at least.

So anyways now that Team Rocket is out of Azalea Town...the Slowpoke are still here and they're still missing tails? Really? I thought that would be retconned. Oh well, I don't particularly care about them. They don't need tails to evolve into Slowking anyways. I'm mostly here for the gym.

The gym is getting soloed by John. There's sadly no other way to do it. Fortunately, user 18 said John must solo any leader other than Falkner, and Bugsy is probably even easier to solo honestly. Scyther dies to it right away and the other two just sit there not doing anything
*turns out Scyther does not die right away, but is 2HKOed*
:O that's a lot of bulk. This does, however, bode well for Pride as he soloes Jasmine and Brock. That's much, much later though.
For right now, I want to take out a user 18! Not related to the Smogon user user 18. User-ception!
*Gastly 2HKOed by Rock Tomb, gets Curse on John*
Welp looks like John won't be lasting through this one.
*Magnitude OHKOes Quilava*
On second thought...
*Zubat hits with Supersonic, but John does not hit himself and OHKOes with crit Rock Throw*
Pretty sure that was overkill. But whatever. John is quite the beast currently.
I wish Pacifist was as well.

UPDATE TWO: Azalea City
Badges: 2

Level: 22
-Rock Tomb (TM)
-Magnitude
-Rock Smash (HM)
-Rock Throw
TMs learned: 1
Gym Leader soloed: yes
Not much really changed from last chapter. John has had many more occasions to prove himself, and not once has he fallen (in a major battle). All good times must come to an end though, and for John that end is unfortunately very soon.

Level: 19
-Reflect
-Growl
-Razor Leaf
-Synthesis
Pacifist is...well...shit. I never expected it to be any good, especially now with the amount of Poison and Bug-types, but the Reflect restriction means that against any Special attacker, Pacifist needs to take one more hit than he usually would. This either makes for lots of trips to the Pokemon center, or lots of healing items. Healing items I can't afford.
This chapter is when I took a really long break from the game. As a result, I don't really remember the early parts that well.

Ilex Forest was a boring maze full of clicking "Run", running over branches to chase down Farfetch'd to get Cut, briefly learning Headbutt to smack a few trees, and showing a Kimono Girl out.
Kimono Girl: "Do you know the way out?"
Me: "Yes"
Kimono Girl: "Lies! You're just as lost as I am!"
Me: "But I've played this game 235345345736 times! And there's only one path anyways."
*Pacifist shows her the way out*
...okay fine then.

*The trainers on Route 34 offer great EXP*
No, but really. In this time Pacifist has actually caught up with John in terms of levels.
Anyways, I pass by the Daycare, which I will probably never use, when I am ambushed by Lyra, the absentee who shows up like three times.
Her grandmother then proceeds to insinuate that we're dating. Not that I'd mind, mind you. I don't really see how the in-game character remains single after all his escapades. I guess this explains this:

(kinda hard to get Alzheimer's if you're not aging though)

Anyways, I then proceed to blow through Goldenrod City Lightning Tour, and pick up a free Bike to advertise to advertise the guy's shop. Even though we never mention the word "Bike". And a few hundred or thousand steps later, he gives it to us to keep? Even though it was already ours? This game is weird.

I then go through Route 35, dodging most of the trainers. These guys aren't really that tough. One of them even has a level 2 Voltorb iirc, though I avoided him.

...there isn't a Bug Catching contest today? Tomorrow it is then.
*next day*
Alright, let's catch me a Scyther!
*catches a bunch of random bugs for Dex, then suddenly SCYTHER*
Nice
*John manages to crit it to death with Headbutt*
...not nice

Yeah why don't they have these?
*tries to enter contest again*
"You've already participated in today's contest!"
FUUUUUUUU---

*two days later*
I'll maybe catch a Scyther this time?
*it takes half of my Sport Balls*
Good enough. Pride, welcome to the team!
*is Lonely nature with Technician*
:O can this get any better?

*exits to Route 35, all of a sudden BAM Policeman with level 15 Growlithe*
...really? Pride, sorry, you'll probably have to take this one for the tea--
*Pursuit 3HKOes, as does Ember*
...never mind then. Scyther is pretty freaking bulky.

*Juggler has Voltorbs, Policemen have Growlithe, firebreathers have Magmar*
Lots of soloes for Pride then. And the thing is it can actually manage all of them. One at a time that is.
*lots of backtracking later*
I believe that's all of Route 35 taken care of. And Scyther has leveled up a lot. Wing Attack is level 21, but even without it Scyther isn't exactly bad. It's actually outdamaging Pacifist, which is four levels higher than it.

Anyways, I'd like to have Pride solo Whitney for the experience, because doing it with Geodude is too cliche. So for that I will have to--
*checks, Geodude learns Flamethrower*
--well shit. I was hoping to get that for Koffing. Why does Geodude learn Flamethrower anyway?
...wait I can get it for Koffing. I just need two copies. Plus a Swords Dance which sums to...24000 coin. Well, time to get flipping Voltorbs.
*two hours later*
Damn this game is frustrating. You try to minimize your losses by flipping a 6/1 and 7/1 intersection and it turns out to be a Voltorb. Still, I've made plenty of Coin, about 25000, more than enough for all the TMs I need.
*Pride learned Swords Dance!*
*John learned Flamethrower!*
I should probably scout out National Park as well. There's some items there I forgot to pick up. Including, hey, is that
*John learned Dig!*
Awesome. Now it's time to breeze through Goldenrod Gym!

*Pride is female and everything in the gym is female*
Okay good. Cute Charm might have been a hassle otherwise. Oh look, I'm already at Whitney. I'll just heal up and...

Okay, so the plan here is to set up an Agility and three Swords Dances. Of course, I have to set up on Clefairy, which is known to be really rage-inducing. I just hope it doesn't pull Heart Swap.

(it actually never pulled any of those moves)
*+6 Pursuit OHKOes Clefairy*
Okay, so now I outspeed and OHK--
*+6 Pursuit does not OHKO Miltank*
*Rollout does less than 20 damage*
Damn Scyther is bulky. Well a second Pursuit OHKOes, so good game, and hand over that badge you little crybaby Whitney.
*Gets TM45 Attract*
John learns it but as per restrictions it must go to Whitney. The Miltank, not the Gym Leader. Ah this is confusing. I'll just end here.

UPDATE THREE: Goldenrod City Gym
Badges: 3

Level: 20
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Technician
-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Pursuit
-False Swipe
Jasmine soloed: no
Brock soloed: no
Leaders soloed: Whitney
Pride is hands down my best Pokemon currently. Its restriction to solo everything with SE STAB against it is no issue because Pursuit 2HKOes literally everything. Next level it gets Wing Attack, which will OHKO literally everything. Swords Dance actually never got used outside of Whitney because I never needed it. I'm really looking forward to using Pride.

Level: 23
-Rock Tomb (TM)
-Magnitude
-Rock Smash (HM)
-Dig (TM)
TMs learned: 3
Leaders soloed: Falkner, Bugsy
I didn't use John very much in this chapter, which was probably a mistake given that this will be the last period in which he'll be useful. Soon he'll be confined to his Geodude form, and although Earthquake comes at Level 29, these six levels are really long. This is HGSS, after all.

-Reflect
-Growl
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis
Leaders soloed: :(
Pacifist is below John because he can't even deal damage to things. He was really just used to remove Sandshrew so they wouldn't drain Scyther's PP. Magical Leaf is fun though, but not nearly powerful enough, especially compared to John or Pride.
Today (well, figuratively speaking, not actually today) we catch our last teammates!

...ahem. Introductions aside, my player character is quite the bully. He made Whitney cry, beat up a bunch of Pokemon and made them "fainted", and kicked Proton out of Azalea Town. Now he's ready to beat up everyone at the Pokeathlon.
Except not really. I'm not really interested in doing that and anyways the Leaf Stone Pacifist has to hold can just be replaced by the mystical item "nothing". Instead, lucky for Morty, I'm heading over there!

...yeah nobody believed me. So I water this thing that looks like a tree but moves (it moves if you interact with it before you get the Squirtbottle) and lo and behold, it's a Sudowoodo!
*nobody is surprised*
I will then blatantly ignore Route 37 and bike down to Elm's Lab.
Elm: "I thought the egg hatched? Where is the Pokemon?"
...I totally forgot Togepi didn't I?
*Teleport*
Good thing I brought Abra. So I go talk to Elm and get an Everstone for John. NOW it's time to actually move on with the game.

...yeah nobody believed me there either. It's time to go catch Whitney and Ordinary?. Whitney comes first since Route 38 is a good place to grind anyways.

*KOes first Miltank accidentally*

^This is very true^

This is going to take a while I guess. At least everything gets good EXP.
*catches second*
Alright welcome to the team Whitney! You're Calm natured and---wait fuck. Calm is terrible. Screw it, nothing said it had to be the first Miltank!

(ignore the fact that I'm not breeding or releasing)
So I caught an actually usable Miltank after like an hour. It's Rash, which isn't good, but it's not bad. Now it's time for Ordinary?
*as we exit route, Whitney loses to a wild Tauros*
...yeah grinding these guys is going to be painful.

So Koffing apparently has a 35% encounter rate in the Burned Tower. And yet I just got ten Rattata in a row. I would continue but Whitney needs to go to the Pokemon Center.
*when I get back, three Koffings in a row*
...seriously, this game loves trolling me.
*Natures: Careful, Impish, Timid*
UGH. All my attacks are Special so Timid is the only choice, but Koffing is by no means fast. Well it's not Shuckle-speed so Timid it is.
*Ordinary? faints after being flinched twice in a row by Hyper Fang*
This is not going to be easy to grind.
*This time Hyper Fang gets a crit flinch*
Okay fuck this, Ordinary? is going to have to fall behind. A lot. I'll still have him solo all the Koffings here but holy shit it sucks.

*Whitney is in "Slow" EXP Group and doesn't want to level up*
Well at least Whitney doesn't keel over and die every two encounters. Stantler and Tauros are annoying to deal with though.

So I've decided that Whitney is soloing Morty. Rollout will ideally make this very easy, along with being immune to the Gastly line's STAB. I don't think most of his team can even touch it? Too bad it has Thick Fat instead of Scrappy.

*Whitney Attracts Gastly, which uses Spite*
Well that was a very useful move [/sarcasm]
*Rollout 2HKOes, Gastly uses Curse*
Yeah, while I'm locked into Rollout I can't exactly follow the Attract or Milk Drink restrictions. Whatever. The main problem here is Curse, which will probably kill me before I get to kill all of Morty's mons.
*Gengar comes in, outspeeds and uses Hypnosis*
...shit. Well out comes HM slave Sentret to die. *does*
Whitney, finish this.
*Attract after finally waking up*
Okay here goes...
*Hypnosis*
*Rollout hits for tiny damage, Gengar uses Hypnosis next turn*

Okay fuck this. Can Pride do this instead?

*Paralyzed by Lick from Gastly and Cursed by Haunter*
...nope. Well, it's time to cheese it with Whitney.

*Attract on Gastly, immobilized*
Nice
*X-Accuracy, X-Speed, while Gastly Spites my Attract*
Yeah that's going to be very useful for you.
*Rollout, Gastly used Curse*
...hopefully that doesn't matter.
*Rollout kills Gastly*
I've taken two actions of Curse. I can take two more, and I'll only need to take two more. Ideally.
*Haunter comes out, Rollout KOes*
Yup. It happened boys.
*Haunter, then Gengar get KOed by Rollout*
I so did not need any of those resets. Oh well.

UPDATE FOUR: Ecruteak City Gym
Badges: 4
Retries: 2

Level: 25
-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Pursuit
-Wing Attack
With the addition of Wing Attack, Pride went from 2HKOing everything to OHKOing everything. Not much really changed. Pride didn't see too much action, given that most of the time he was fainted to allow Ordinary? and John to grind on Magnemites. Its restriction is starting to become annoying but it's nothing letting Pride faint won't solve.

@ Everstone
-Rock Tomb (TM)
-Magnitude
-Rock Smash (HM)
-Dig (TM)
TMs learned: 3
John is still incredibly powerful. His growth slows down really soon, though, as I tackle areas full of Water-types. He didn't see much use here because he can't touch Ghost-types and dies to any special attack.

Nature: Rash
Ability: Thick Fat
-Attract
-Rollout
-Stomp
-Milk Drink
Chuck soloed: no
Leaders soloed: Morty
Whitney levels up slowly but packs quite the punch. It has bulk, power, and hax on its side. Next chapter we will test its hax by having it solo Chuck, but Whitney should be able to pull through. No matter how many resets it takes.

-Reflect
-Growl
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis
Pacifist is still useless, though that's mostly because all the enemies in this chapter are Gastly line. I do expect it to improve next chapter, because everything there is Water-type. I really can't wait for evolution.

Level: 18
Nature: Timid
-Poison Gas
-Assurance
-Smog
-Flamethrower
Rocket Hideout soloed: no
Radio Tower soloed: no
Misty soloed: no
Janine soloed: no
Sabrina soloed: no
Ordinary? is literally useless. It crumbles to most wild Pokemon in three hits and it most powerful move, Flamethrower, is a huge disappointment. I can only imagine doing this with Smog and Assurance. It does learn Sludge in six levels though.
I just realized I still haven't picked up HM04. Let me do that real quick.

John now suffers from 4MSS. If only you could learn more than four moves.

(seriously, why not?)

Anyways, I've decided it's time to head to Cianwood City. Going to the Lake of Rage would get me the EXP. Share faster but I don't really need that right now. Ordinary isn't that bad.
*as I say that, Ordinary nearly gets KOed by a wild Rattata that flinched it twice*
...forget what I just said. Still, it should level up pretty quickly.
*it does*

Is Ordinary? getting bulkier or are the enemies just getting super weak? These Slowpoke just did almost nothing to it with Confusion.
*is 3HKOed by wild Tauros*
Maybe it's just the Slowpoke then.

I walk into Olivine and am immediately ambushed by user 18, who tells me that Jasmine is not in her gym. That means Pride will have to solo her much, much later. Which is good.
Other interesting things in Olivine City: hidden items, Good Rod, seals, and of course, the Lighthouse.

Everyone in here pretty much has Water-types. Or has Flying-types which need to be soloed by Pride. That's fine though. It just means poor John has to fall behind.

*Hypnosis gets several four-turn sleeps*
...is that even possible? Did I miscount? Anyways, those kinds of things are just annoying rather than deadly. At least at this moment.
"Ordinary? learned Sludge!"
Holy shit. This is going to be Ordinary?'s main and, well only, STAB until Sludge Bomb at level 48. Or 42 if I don't evolve until then. But hell no I'm not doing that.

...so GameFreak implies that it's safe to jump out of the side of a building? I don't really get that. I believe I was really confused when I first played this game because "look giant fucking hole in the wall let's walk through it" immediately comes to the mind. [/sarcasm]

This lighthouse is powered by an Ampharos...named Amphy. Really? Also the fact that they don't have other Ampharos/backup generators defies logic. And also the fact that even though the sailor outside said that ships need the light nothing crashes into Olivine at night. I guess that's because there's no ships coming in or out. But then why would you even have a lighthouse? Or a port?

Anyways, it looks like I need to go get some medicine for Amphy in order for Jasmine to become available. Why doesn't she just battle me right here right now? Is it because on her home court she has a hax bonus? That's totally it isn't it.
Good thing for you, though, Jasmine, is that Pride needs more levels before soloing you anyways.

So now we surf across an ocean! Wait, what? How do you surf across standing water? This defies all logic. And how does Sentret Surf? Actually, how do stuff like Miltank, Hariyama, Aggron, and Rhydon learn Surf? The world may never know.

This is obviously not John's favorite part of the game. It's really falling behind but every time I try to get it some experience,

(Geodude is even weaker)
I can't even get any in Chuck's gym and John can't hold EXP. Share. I don't know how I'm going to get John up to par.

But right now we have bigger worries. Because for the first time in, well, ever, Pacifist is getting overleveled. It actually does hit hard. When its opponents are weak to its STAB and five levels under it. Still, practically nonexistent damage beats literally nonexistent damage. You've gotta start somewhere.

And now that I'm at Cianwood, it's time to grab that SecretPotion, beat the stuffing out of Eusine (I think this is the only time we actually battle him), and start grinding! Everyone except John needs to get to...oh let's just say 29. I'm not going on for that long.

*dooodoooooooodooooooooooo*
What you thought I'd actually move on with the game? Come on.
"Whitney wants to learn Body Slam."
Oh how I wish you could.

...that took a lot longer than I expected. Must be Whitney's EXP Group kicking in. Now it's time for Chuck, which I fully expect to take several attempts.

-------Attempt 1-------

Okay, we have to lead with Attract.
*Primeape uses Double Team, I get Attract off.*
...shit. Well I don't think I'll be able to take Focus Punches very well, and Double Team really screws with my accuracy.
*3 X Defends while Primeape uses a Double Team and is immobilized twice.*
I really should have bought more X-Accuracy shouldn't I.
*X Accuracy, Primeape lands a Focus Punch which does...less than half*
Holy shit that's impressive. Of course, Whitney has 95/105 physical defenses and has three X Defends up, but still.
*Stomp misses, Primeape fails Focus Punch due to Attract*
I guess we can expect to see more of this?
*Stomp hits and disrupts Focus Punch.*
Wow, look how little damage that did. Not even a 2HKO. On the bright side, I'll get Chuck to waste his Hyper Potions here. Or does he get one per Pokemon? IDK.
*Primeape uses Rock Slide, flinches*
Any day now...
*Stomp hits while Primeape is immobilized*
Okay now it's Hyper Poti---
*Primeape tries to use Focus Punch but Stomp KOes*
---on time? What? Well that worked out nicely I guess. I'm not entirely sure why that happened.
*Attract hits Poliwrath, which misses with Hypnosis*
...shit. I don't have any Lum Berries yet to cure sleep so this could drag on for a while.
*Stomp disrupts Focus Punch twice in a row, puts Poliwrath in Sitrus range*
Or that could happen. Maybe this keeps going?
*Whitney has to take a Surf, which it does very badly.*
CRAP I'm almost dead. Miltank has some shit Special Defense. I guess Whitney's Rash nature doesn't exactly help. Alright, Attract do your work.
*Poliwrath misses Hypnosis as I Milk Drink up*
There we go.
*Poliwrath hits Hypnosis*
..............I'm considering a reset here.
*One turn sleep, while Poliwrath is immobilized next turn*
Never mind what I just said. Well, I think a few more Stomps are in order.
*crit Stomp leaves Poliwrath with a sliver of health, but disrupts Focus Punch*
Well here comes actual Hyper Potion?
*Yup, but Stomp looks like a clean 4HKO*
Alright, we just need Poliwrath not to crit here.
"Poliwrath used Surf! A critical hit!"

...lol jk. Stomp 4HKOes while Poliwrath fails to do anything. So I actually managed this in one attempt! Maybe the ------Attempt 1------ tag threw you off, or maybe the fact that it was Whitney soloing Chuck. The Miltank, not the Gym Leader. The Gym Leader Whitney would lose pretty hard to Chuck.

Next time I run through general loose ends and solo Jasmine! Maybe.

UPDATE FIVE: Cianwood City Gym
Badges: 5
Retries: 2

Level: 29
-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Pursuit
-Wing Attack
Pride is still hands down the best mon to ever exist. Of course, its restriction is kicking in and it can no longer OHKO everything so it dies often. Still, I never have any trouble using it against intended enemies. It does have a lot of weaknesses though.

-Attract
-Rollout
-Stomp
-Milk Drink
Chuck soloed: yes
Leaders soloed: Morty, Chuck
Whitney is haxmaster. Or haxmistress since female. But really, it's quite the powerhouse. The main thing that puts it below Pride imo is how slowly it levels up and what little reward there is when I do so. It can't learn any more moves like Pride or evolve like Ordinary? or Pacifist. Still, these ratings are based on right-the-heck-now performance and not potential, which is really good for Whitney.

Level: 30
-Reflect
-Growl
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis
Yeah Pacifist is almost useless. It did, however, pick up a bunch of experience in the water routes. I'll give it Light Screen by TM sometime soon so it doesn't have to wait four extra levels to evolve because it really needs power right now.

@ Everstone
Level: 27
Ability: Sturdy
-Strength (HM)
-Magnitude
-Rock Smash (HM)
-Focus Punch (TM)
TMs learned: 2
HMs learned: 2
Oh how far John has fallen. Chuck gave him the useless Focus Punch and he's two long levels away from learning Earthquake, which should give him the power boost necesary to avoid falling to LVP for at least another chapter. IMO.

Level: 28
-Poison Gas
-Sludge
-Smog
-Flamethrower
Rocket Hideout soloed: no
Ordinary? is by no means bad, like John, but in almost no situations is he ever good. His Poison typing sucks against all the enemies with Confusion, his Special Defense is shit, and there's almost no Fighting or Grass-types for him to do well against. Soon he must solo the Rocket Hideout and Radio Tower, which will level him up a lot, but Sludge and Flamethrower are really not the most powerful of moves. Especially coming off Base 60 Special Attack.
The game wants us to go east, so let's go east!

...lolno. I deliver the medicine to Amphy and get a call from Warden Baoba. Apparently the Safari Zone is open now. But first, I'll do my solo of Jasmine.

*Magnemite's Thunderbolt nearly OHKOes Pride after one X Sp. Def*
...lolno. I'll do this later it seems.

I head over to Route 47 when suddenly...
"Ace Trainers forgothisname and forgothername sent out Electabuzz and Magmar!"
I'm leading with...John and Ordinary?. This will be interesting. Let's use Magnitude, which conveniently Ordinary? is immune to.
*Magmar OHKOes John with a crit, Electabuzz Protects against Ordinary?'s Sludge*
...or maybe not. Ugh, Pacifist and Whitney, finish this.
*Pacifist crumbles as Whitney is almost haxed to death with full paralysis*
Thank goodness for Thick Fat. Otherwise Whitney would be roast beef right now. On the bright side, I beat the trainers. On the other hand, I now have a single paralyzed Miltank at like 30 health.
*Good thing you can fly on fainted Pokemon*
Seriously, why is that a thing?

(Ignore the fact that my Fly slave is a Farfetch'D)

Okay let's try this again.
"John learned Earthquake!"
BOOYAH. Now instead of dying to damn near everything, it can die to damn near everything while killing them in return! Yippee.

"Ace Trainers forgothisname and forgothername sent out Onix and Cloyster!"
See even GameFreak promotes the innuendo.
*Ordinary?'s Sludge damn near OHKOes Cloyster while John finishes it with Earthquake.*
And here I was thinking that it would use Protect. I guess they just want to take their chances there.
...I'll see myself out.

Anyways, Safari Zone! And apparently Baoba wants a Geodude. Okay, here have a useless piece of shit named John.
...oh you want me to catch one. Well here I was thinking I could cheese it. Well into the zone we go.

*Magneton breaks 15 Safari Balls before being caught*
Well shit. I thought it would run away at some point. I guess I have to avoid losing all my balls.
Or dropping them.

So I show Baoba my Geodude and he tells me there's another test. I'll guess that it's using that one machine that's not finished yet. Why do I know? Maybe because I've played this game a million times? Anyways, now it's time to move on and explore...Mt. Moon! Yeah I'm not going to Mahogany Town just yet.

*there's some useless items and one-way ledges that I can apparently only get to the other side of with Waterfall or Rock Climb*
Well it looks like I'll have to save that for later.

I enter Mahogany Town, and am introduced to a quaint little shop run by a seemingly harmless guy. There's this RageCandyBar salesman to the east who blocks my path, so North is the only way to go.

...and this time I'm actually going north! How about that.
*Pokemaniacs give good EXP because they have Nidoqueens and Nidokings*
Apart from the fact that they're like level 18, the game is actually getting a little bit stronger!
*level 18 Nidorino*
...a little bit.

So I go into the Lake of Rage (because surfing around on a Sentret in middle of a raging lake is a great idea! at least there's actual waves here to surf on) and catch me a Red Gyarados. On the first Great Ball I throw. I then proceed to make it my new HM slave. Because riding on a 23-foot sea serpent is a lot safer than riding on a Sentret.

I then meet Lance, who tells me that the seemingly innocuous shop in Mahogany Town is actually a Team Rocket hideout! It's not like this happens literally every game! He then asks me to help, which I will once I go explore Dark Cave from the Violet City end and get my EXP. Share.

...no I won't stop taking detours.

*There's nothing in the Violet City side and when I try to get to the Blackthorn side I find a one-way ledge*
Damn, GameFreak really overdid the one-way ledges in this game. Why did there have to be so many?

So NOW it's finally time to infiltrate Team Rocket's headquarters!
*gets call from "Mother"*
Hi "Mom", I'm just in middle of infiltrating a secret hideout filled with murderous thieves and deadly traps. How are you doing?

(In this case I have to get to a Pokemon Center to pick it up)

So screw that for the moment, I have to go in and activate all the deadly traps! For EXP of course.
*The Persian statues summon two grunts who have like 5 level 16 mons each.*
Okay that's not worth the EXP. I do know that there's some floor tiles with wild Pokemon though.

*Trainer has level 16 Rattata, booby traps on the floor have level 21 Voltorb*
Seriously. I knew the grunts were weak, but that weak?

Grunt: "That guy that came through here is strong!"
I'll say. Lance has a level 40 Dragonite. Which is afaik legally unobtainable. Of course he's strong, especially if you've got just level 16s.
"He forced me to tell him everything."
Oh, so I can just wait for Lance to handle everything for me? Not that I'd let him do that, mind, because I want EXP. but that's convenient.
"Except for one thing."
Well nevermind that.
"The door has two passwords!"
................really? Are the grunts that stupid? Why would he think giving that information to me is perfectly fine? And more importantly, why haven't the police busted all the Rockets already if they're that dumb?

Grunt after defeat: "Our password is: SLOWPOKETAIL. But you'll never get the other one!"
...or I can just beat the other grunt. Why do they voluntarily give out their passwords anyways?

I enter the passwords, and then come face to face with...Giovanni? Nope, that's just Petrel doing an awful impression. Though he did manage to hide his overwhelmingly purple hair. That's a plus for him.
He then proceeds to say the password out loud. I then reveal the voice recorder in my pocket!
...lol if only. Instead I have to solo him with Ordinary?, who actually is leveling up rather quickly. Soloing entire areas does that to you.

So Petrel quickly falls. I guess that's the advantage of having Flamethrower against his Koffings. I do also have Poison Gas and Smog as per restrictions, but Koffing doesn't need too many slots.
The Murkrow (whose even is that, Ariana's?) then proceeds to scream the password in Petrel's voice. Well isn't that handy. So anyways I open the door and then BAM Lance.
Lance: "Sorry, I've been holding back this entire time to see how well you do."
Well you should definitely have seen Ordinary? solo this entire place. Now it's time to witness me whoop Ariana's ass!
...you're joining me? I don't need you here. Oh well whatever, this will make things go faster.

*Drowzee and Arbok sent out, Dragonite flies up, Sludge barely doesn't OHKO Drowzee*
Time to see how well Ordinary? takes Confusion.
*Drowzee used Hypnosis*
...never mind. And it hit too.
*Confusion is a 4HKO, but Koffing remains asleep for four actions while Dragonite kills everything.*
Well I guess I did need Lance's help after all.

So now I have to KO all the Electrodes. I'm just going to say fuck that and catch them all. Screw the rules I have Quick Balls.
And then Lance gives me HM05, Defo--owait Whirlpool. Why did the HM change within a generation again? Because there wasn't Fog in GSC? And why can't there be Fog in HGSS?

Anyways, since this chapter has been really long, I'll end it here. Next time I solo two gyms!

UPDATE SIX: Team Rocket Hideout
Badges: 5
Retries: 3

Level: 32
-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Slash
-Wing Attack

-Attract
-Rollout
-Stomp
-Milk Drink
Leaders soloed: Morty, Chuck

Level: 30
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis
Light Screen learned: yes

@ Everstone
Level: 32
-Strength (HM)
-Earthquake
-Rock Smash (HM)
-Secret Power (TM)
TMs learned: more than I can bother to count

Level: 34
-Poison Gas
-Sludge
-Smog
-Flamethrower
Rocket Hideout soloed: yes
A short update with no comics!
Maybe.

So anyways, Pryce is first, and I'll be soloing the entire gym with Whitney for EXP, because grinding it is awful. But first.

*cue grinding montage*
Alright, everyone but Whitney is now level 34. Whitney will level up quickly anyways if she's soloing an entire gym. So let's go.

*uses Rollout a lot to conserve PP, Thick Fat blocks pretty much all damage*
I would go back to heal, but I'm at...90 out of like 110 health. I think I can take on Pryce just fine as I am.

*Attract on Seel, which is immobilized*
Alright that's cool, let's see how much Stomp does.
*2HKO, while Seel uses Hail*
...wait Seel isn't Ice-type? It just took damage from Hail. Well that's weird.
*Attract on Piloswine, which freezes Whitney with Blizzard*
...really?
*Whitney thaws out right away and Stomps for a 3HKO*
Well okay good.
*Mud Bomb lowers Whitney's accuracy by one stage as thanks to Sitrus Berry, Piloswine survives Stomp #3*
Well that's bound to be annoying. Heal incoming?
*Yup, and Stomp misses*
Speak of the devil.
*Three of the next six Stomps hit, I have to Milk Drink a couple times but Piloswine finally dies.*
Well okay. Dewgong shouldn't be too hard.
*Attract, it uses Rest which fails*
...what? Nice job Pryce. You totally expected me to attack didn't you.
*Stomp hits as Dewgong Rests*
Good news, it's a 3HKO. Bad news, I'm at -1 Accuracy
*I do manage to hit two Stomps, Dewgong wakes up and is immobilized.*
Well that was handy.
*KOes*

That was the easy part, unfortunately. Now I have to solo Jasmine with Pride.

(Except I don't have Metal Claw. I could teach Rock Smash but meh I've got something better.)
"Pride learned Roost!"
There you go Pride. That should make this easier.
*3 X Sp.Defs while Magnemite uses Thunder Wave, Swagger, and then Thunderbolt, which doesn't even 3HKO*
Well maybe that was overdoing it a little. I have to watch my health though, since Pride can't use healing items and is outsped by Magnemite
*as I say that I hit myself*
Come on ROOST ROOST ROOST
*Pride does so*
Alright, now set up a Swords Da--
*Thunderbolt crits and OHKOes*

...*reset*

Alright let's hope I don't get crit this time!
*same exact opening, but I do manage to get three Swords Dances, 3 X SpDef and 5 X Defense set up*
"Magnemite used Supersonic"
Oh fuck no.
"But it missed!"
Thank goodness.
"Scyther is paralyzed! It can't move!"

*Supersonic misses again though and Slash OHKOes*
Okay good. Nice to know the game is not solely out to hax me.
*Second Magnemite does very little with Thunderbolt, OHKOed by crit Slash*
Well that was unnecessary. Steelix coming out now, hopefully I can 2HKO?
*Nope, but I do outspeed. Wing Attack at +6 just barely doesn't 2HKO*
Here comes Rock Throw?
*Sandstorm*
Well this should make things easy.
*Fully paralyzed twice in a row but fortunately Rock Throw does less than 20 damage. Before Roost.*
Well that was probably overkill.
*Screech*
Or maybe not.
*Wing Attack procs Sitrus Berry, sets up kill next turn*
And game!
*fully paralyzed next turn*
And game!
*fully paralyzed*
And game! Good thing Steelix wasted that one turn using Sandstorm
*Wing Attack actually hits and KOes*

Well that was more painful than I expected. Next time, we see the difficulty curve suddenly spike! Also Ordinary? finally gets to evolve.

UPDATE SEVEN: Olivine City Gym
Badges: 7
Retries: 4

Level: 35
-Attract
-Rollout
-Stomp
-Milk Drink
Leaders soloed: Morty, Chuck, Pryce
Whitney is simply beast. It levels up super slowly but it can do the same work at level 30 as John at like level 35 or 40. It's also an excellent panic button for pretty much anything and can even take out Fighting-types with an appropriate level advantage. Its damage is a bit lacking but it's a lot better than 3/4 of the rest of my team.

-Swords Dance
-Roost
-Slash
-Wing Attack
Jasmine soloed: yes
Leaders soloed: Whitney, Jasmine
Pride's restrictions are staring to hurt a bit here. I do have a plan to solo Brock very easily, and it does involve using X-Defends and cheesing with Roost. But that will be muuuuuuuuch later, and until then it has five weaknesses to deal with.

-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis
Light Screen learned: yes (oh the cheese!)
I actually did not use Pacifist at all so maybe it would have been better to wati for level 36. It performed decently against the wild Pokemon on Route 41, but that's kind of a given.

@ Everstone
-Strength (HM)
-Earthquake
-Rock Smash (HM)
-Swagger (TM)
TMs learned: more than I can bother to count
John, on the other hand, is pure unadultered shit. Earthquake is its only way of actually killing stuff and when that runs out of PP, I'm out of luck. John's main problem is not that, however, it's that it will rarely survive to use all ten PP of Earthquake. Still, it simply dominates any good matchups it gets, and though those are few and far between, it's better than Ordinary?'s performance.

-Poison Gas
-Sludge
-Smog
-Flamethrower
Rocket Hideout soloed: yes
Ordinary? is suffering from Unevolved Pokemon Syndrome. It can barely do damage to any decently leveled Pokemon, though it's not hard to grind because of how much PP its moves collectively have. Its nature is actually helpful, but it probably would have preferred Modest or Bold. Its main problem is that it relies on Poison damage to kill things, which is terribly slow and resource-intensive.

WORD LIMIT: CONTINUED HERE.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, these guys. These challenges don't seem all that hard, except maybe that one Geodude. I did ask for Hard, after all. Maybe it's just my sadistic standards.
*Meanwhile, back in Lab*
Police officer: "Rule number one: Whoever did it always comes back!"
WAAAAAAH THEY'RE NOT MY DRUGS I SWEAR JUST TAKE THIS "MYSTERY EGG" AND BEGON---
Wait a minute, are you really that incompetant? Maybe that's why Team Rocket still exists. Police loitering at crime scenes expecting the criminals to return don't exactly yield good productivity.
...Oh, it was that red-haired dude. Wait, I'm allowed to name him? Really? So I can just frame the person I don't like, say perhaps the one who gave me my hardest Scramblemon...
"Oh, so user 18 is his name?"
lol

I'm famous!

Update on the state of the nation for my Emerald scramble, just about to enter victory road:
DontEatMe (Dustox) Lvl 56
silk scarf
Ability: Shield Dust
Nature: Bashful
- Return (Max Happiness)
- Psychic
- Silver Wind
- Toxic

I'm surprised how powerful this one is, actually. Soloing flying types isn't that hard anymore, due to overleveling, and return is really chewing through anything I can throw at it.
Winona/Fortree solo wasn't too bad, although I couldn't use toxic to poison skarmory because of its typing.
I think it's starting to feel the strain of being an early game pokemon, but it hasn't let me down yet!

All Star (Swampert) Lvl 51
Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Sassy
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Brick Break

This thing is a bulky beast. Probably the easiest, if most grind-y challenge I got. Evolutions weren't any trouble -- I actually ended up delaying evolution in order to learn EQ sooner.
Solo'd both the final 1v1 Maxie fight and was the only 'Mon I used in the battle with Steven against Maxie. Expecting to get some easy KOs against Sydney with Brick Break.

Secluded (Salamence) Lvl 51
Charcoal
Ability: Intimidate
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic
- Protect

Got this guy very late compared to my other three, all of which I had before the first gym. I purposely left a lot of optional areas alone to use to grind him up to an appropriate level. Fortunately I was lucky enough to catch a lvl 35 bagon, instead of a lvl 25 or 30. Those extra levels would have been a huge pain.
Stats are not as good as I would have liked for having to solo Drake, everything except speed is pretty mediocre. Hoping to outspeed and hit hard with Dragon Claw and OHKO a bunch of stuff. Will be trying to level a bunch in victory road.

Omnivore (Beautifly) Lvl 51
Pecha Berry
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Serious
- Giga Drain (8pp)
- Mega Drain (16pp)
- Absorb
- Morning Sun

This one is absolutely crippled in terms of damage output. Its best move is 60BP, no STAB, and I can't hold a boosting item.
It's also notably fragile, having low defensive stats. Probably my least favourite 'mon so far this run.
The individual berry in use varies a fair bit. For important battles, I usually run Leppa berry to get PP back for Giga drain, or one of the HP recovery berries.
For the gym leader solo, I took Juan, in hopes of SE damage being helpful. Was able to 1-2 HKO everything except Kingdra, which I had to PP stall out of all its moves and let it struggle to death.
Has no outstanding solos, so I may not use it in the E4 at all, or will have it do very little. I'll probably just focus on grinding up my other three in victory road, and see how things go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)