Project OU Interviewer of the Week: -Clone-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to the OU Player of the Week Project: Rebooted! Clone is retiring this project after this week, and we thought that after he interviewed 45 people it would be cool to give him a Player of the Week of his own because he put in a ton of time orchestrating all those interviews. Now, enough of this boring intro. Let's get to it!

-Clone-
Most Known For:

Running the OU Player of the Week Project for over a year and contributing to various parts of the forums, as well as being an OU Room Moderator. I don't have a big name in tournaments.

Favorite Pokemon:

Blaziken, hands down. Garchomp, Greninja, and Metagross are also really cool.

Most used Pokemon:

Not entirely sure but it's probably one of Latios, Garchomp, Mega Metagross, or Bisharp.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I'm an 18 year old college freshman that attends a school in Pennsylvania. I'm a criminal justice major, and I want to go into law enforcement once I graduate. My interests outside of Smogon include ultimate Frisbee, playing first person shooters, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends. I am also a huge Star Wars and Game of Thrones fan. Can't wait until The Force Awakens is in theaters.

Where did you get your name from?

My original username (and the one I use on most sites) is Cloneblazer12. I combined my favorite two things from the time. Clone comes from the Clones in Star Wars, and Blazer comes from the nickname of my Blaziken from Emerald. The 12 was my age at that time (which goes to show just how long I've actually used this name). I'm now known as Clone because everyone calls me that. One day I hope to lose the dashes, but we'll see.

How did you get into competitive battling?

At the end of my sophomore year in high school, I started working as a lifeguard. I needed something to do when no one was at the pool, so I started bringing my DS to work. My coworker did the same, and he played Pokemon. Remembering my memories from playing as a kid, I decided to wipe the dust off my Heart Gold game. We got to talking about Pokemon, and he told me about EVs and IVs and stuff. I did some research, and stumbled upon the Smogon Dex and Serebii. I used guides I found online to start breeding for a team. After I bought White Version off my friend, I started breeding in that game as well. I eventually found Pokemon Showdown!, and used it to test what mons I wanted to breed in game. I made a Sand Team and stuck with that, even though it was absolute shit. It wasn't until X&Y came out that I started to understand the game more, and I started to get pretty decent at the game. There's not much else to say, other than that I only play casually at this time due to time constraints.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

Offense, specifically bulky offense. I hate wasting time playing with fatter balance or stall, but I also hate not having switch-ins to anything when playing hyper offense. I also use offensively-oriented balance builds from time to time.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?

Gen 6 because that's the only one that I consider myself proficient in. I do really enjoy DPP, although I can't teambuild for shit yet. Maybe one day I'll learn if I decide to play more.

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?

I would really like it if all mods were active. Good examples of this would be alexwolf when he was still a mod, and bludz, as well as many others in various sections of the site. I don't like how there are some mods that seem to do absolutely nothing. I may just be ignorant of what goes on behind the scenes, but in my opinion, there should be some transparency between those mods and the general public if they never post/lock threads or whatever. It never looks good when someone has power but is/looks inactive for the most part.

I'd also like it if there was some way for there to be forum-wide announcements on very important topics. A forum at the top of the home page titled "News" with a new thread created after something major happened would be cool. I know there are private forums that disclose this information, but I feel that the general public is left out, something that I don't feel is a good thing.

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?

In regards to playing, take a team from the showcase and ladder. That's your best starting point. When you feel somewhat comfortable playing, join b101. It may seem beneath you to get tutored, but trust me, it helps. I made the mistake of never getting formally tutored and it took me a lot longer than I would have liked to be where I am today. I'd probably be better because I still make a shiton of dumb mistakes whenever I play and those get ironed out in the tutoring process.

As for Smogon, contribute, but don't overload yourself. You won't get better if you don't involve yourself one way or another. However, don't be a tryhard, either. Overloading yourself is never a good thing. You can't do everything at once.

Who was the most interesting interviewee and why?

Bloo and aim were my favorites to interview. They gave great answers and helped give this project a great start. Bloo had the longest answers out of everyone, and I enjoyed reading all of it (if you missed it, the thread is in the My Archive hyperlink in my signature. It's definitely worth a read). It doesn't hurt that I admired them both before they quit/got banned. That doesn't mean I didn't like the other 40+ people, though.

You started this project as an unbadged user. What was it like talking to some of Smogon's most well-known players as an unbadged user?

Intimidating. I remember when alexwolf first approved this project, I approached aim and asked him if he was willing to be interviewed. It felt weird because I was a nobody and had no idea of how thing would turn out. Luckily, he agreed and things went well. I was still pretty nervous when asking people even after I got badged because all I had to my name was this project. It wasn't until around week 15 or so that I realized that I had no reason to be nervous. Everyone was nice and willing to help.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?

Oh boy. There's a lot of people I've become friends with over the time I've been on Smogon.

When I started out battling, I looked up to people like McMeghan, Bloo, aim, M Dragon, and others because they were the "best" in my eyes. I also looked up to TDK, as I've known him for a long time (like 2 years almost), even though we don't talk much anymore. He was the one who guided me when I started out, and I wouldn't have been nearly as proficient at this game as I am now were it not for him. Dare I say it but haunter was also a mentor to me before his banning and I probably never would have contributed as much to the OU forum as I have without him. Reverb is in the same boat as well, although in regards to the OU Room on PS.

As for friends, I have a lot, and I'll probably forget people because my memory is shit. OU Room peeps, bof guys, OU forum people, and various people I've met on Skype/PS are all cool.

Special shoutouts to Reverb, Rumor, Celticpride, Bludz, Recreant, Krauersaut, and Saph cuz I talk to you guys the most. There are a lot of other people I talk to but the list is too long for me to remember and I hate leaving people out.

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 136 SpD / 124 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psychic
- Recover

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

This team is old as fuck but I still like to whip it out from time to time because it's really fucking fun to use. It is by no means perfect and some sets could use some tweaking to fully take advantage of what this team is meant to accomplish, but I never had the full time to do so. Regardless, it features Sap Sipper Azumarill, the ultimate Serperior counter that is also capable of abusing Encore to the benefit of the rest of the team. Wisp Zard X burns shit and Ferro walls shit while also setting up rocks. Latias Defogs and handles Venusaur. Torn-T is a utility pivot that helps with fat Grass-types and lures in Chomp with HP Ice, although it was meant for Gliscor because when this team was made that thing was everywhere. Finally Bisharp is there to clean up the mess with an SD set. The team ain't perfect like I previously stated, but it is hella fun to use, especially when you catch a mon with Encore from Azu.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-286518165 Here's a replay of it in action.

Finally, I would like to address one last thing. I am bringing this project to an end. It's gone one for over a year now and I have interviewed everyone I have wanted to. Celticpride is posting this and it will be the last installment for a good amount of time. I want to end this on a good note before it overstays its welcome, and it is about that time. I have had an amazing time hosting this project and I would like to thank each and every one of the people I have interviewed because their contributions made this project possible. If it wasn't for you guys then this project would have been a total bust, and I appreciate the time you all took to help me out.

As for everyone else, I'll see you around. Feel free to ask me whatever you want.

Thoughts on the smogon ou game?
Anyone you think deserves an NPC?

What are Thoughts on fairy and T-wave spam? In addition am I evil for helping to popularise them.

What progect are you going to do next?

Finally and most importantly what's the most epic failure you have partaken in?

1) What prompted you to start the PotW project?

2) Any memorable battles to speak of? (with replays if possible)

3) Do you think that you will get tired of Pokemon one day?

4) Do you feel odd or out of place to be playing Pokemon as a college student? (I mean, odds are you're the only one still playing it, competitive or not)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Would you watch Blissey HO: a romcom starring xtra$hine?

Favorite unranked Pokemon to use, if any?

Favorite variant of clones/stormtroopers?

If there was one unbadged user u could give a badge, which user would you give it to, which badge would you give them and why?

Hi friend!

Why did you give rumor his potw?

So you feel like a special snowflake rn?

Favorite OU auth?

Would you be interested in cloning yourself? Why or why not?

If you could become one person on this planet, who and why?

You know nothing, Clone Snow ...
I only care about the GoT part of all this so I'll go ahead and ask .. [Spoilers alert]
you think Jon Snow will die? or some bullshit will happen and that red head lady will revive him?
best episode? season? moment?
favorite character?
Ramsey Bolton is a savage y/y
hottest female character? Ygritte y/y

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hottest female celebrity?
jennifer lawrence. mila kunis is a close second, though

that guy in the replay is a pretty cool dude, im surprised you beat him
nah man that guy sucks. it was a pretty easy win.

Bisharp, y/y?

Who is better, me or Recreant?

Favorite games outside of Pokemon?

What Pokemon do you want to get a Mega next game and why?
n

recreant

battlefield. battlefront will quickly replace it once it comes out, though.

greninja because why the fuck not. plus i'd like to see what they would do with the design.

Thoughts on the smogon ou game?
Anyone you think deserves an NPC?

What are Thoughts on fairy and T-wave spam? In addition am I evil for helping to popularise them.

What progect are you going to do next?

Finally and most importantly what's the most epic failure you have partaken in?
don't really follow it. it's an interesting idea though
not really

fucking hate it. t-wave clef is so fucking dumb it's not even funny. i mean anyone who promotes dumb shit like that should reconsider their entire life

probably nothing. school's picked up which is why i've dropped everything that i was running. i'll probably just pop into a few threads here and there and post in there whenever i'm bored irl.

idk. my friends faceplanted in the pavement once when trying to jump his skateboard over the curb and that was pretty funny.

1) What prompted you to start the PotW project?

2) Any memorable battles to speak of? (with replays if possible)

3) Do you think that you will get tired of Pokemon one day?

4) Do you feel odd or out of place to be playing Pokemon as a college student? (I mean, odds are you're the only one still playing it, competitive or not)
1) i saw lc do it and i was like "hey this should be a thing for ou," so i asked alexwolf to do it and he said yes.
2) i cbf to search for the replays but whenever i beat a good player without hax that's pretty memorable. my favorite match by far is sweeping pdc with sd megachomp after a speed pass from scolipede. replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battletower-ou-328270
3) already kinda am tbh. i haven't really played much these past few weeks and i've been stepping down from my ps responsibilities as well. maybe the new games will respark my interest when they come out, but for now i'm just playing when i can to cure my boredom. i don't even play in tournaments anymore
4) considering the fact that there are kids at my school who do nothing but sit in their rooms and play league all day, no, not really. i haven't really told anybody that i play mons, but of those that know, they don't really give a fuck. it's a hobby just like any other video game so i don't really care what other people think of it honestly.

Would you watch Blissey HO: a romcom starring xtra$hine?

Favorite unranked Pokemon to use, if any?

Favorite variant of clones/stormtroopers?

If there was one unbadged user u could give a badge, which user would you give it to, which badge would you give them and why?
no

TAUROS

phase 2 armor clones. storm troopers can go suck a dick. if by variant you meant class, then airborne troopers because their helmets are cool as fuck.

don't care enough to have an opinion.

Hi friend!

Why did you give rumor his potw?

So you feel like a special snowflake rn?

Favorite OU auth?

Would you be interested in cloning yourself? Why or why not?

If you could become one person on this planet, who and why?
Hi!

he begged

all snowflakes are special

draeden is a cool cat

yes because that me could go to class and do all my papers and shit and i would be able to do more fun things. i would probably make 2 clones of me. they would be genetically modified like in star wars to always obey orders (from me) and they would reach my age within a month. one of them would do my schoolwork for me. the other would spend time working so i could have money. the real me would do fun things.

hmm. probably some rich politician because then i would be able to do stupid things and get paid for it handsomely. not trump tho lol

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You know nothing, Clone Snow ...
I only care about the GoT part of all this so I'll go ahead and ask .. [Spoilers alert]
you think Jon Snow will die? or some bullshit will happen and that red head lady will revive him?
best episode? season? moment?
favorite character?
Ramsey Bolton is a savage y/y
hottest female character? Ygritte y/y
IM ONLY ON EPISODE 2 OF SEASON FIVE I NEED TO CATCH UP STILL. i'll answer what i can tho

i mean they killed off his entire family almost so what's gonna stop the people who made it from killing him too? w8 wut
the 1 where joffrey dies. season 4. joffrey dying. also the scene where that one foreign guy was fighting for tyrion and almost beat the brute was fucking crazy. i really wish his head didn't get crushed tho =[
as of now jon snow/tyrion. i liked rob when he was still alive
i don't like him
lolno Daenerys Targaryen is way hotter

how could u resist this

e: image is fucked up but w/e

Last edited:
Should scald be banned?
Am I the g.o.a.t snickers in the ou room?
Favorites for OLT?
Mets comeback y/y?
How was it interviewing Tele the legend?

Clone

Free Gliscor
Should scald be banned?
Am I the g.o.a.t snickers in the ou room?
Favorites for OLT?
Mets comeback y/y?
How was it interviewing Tele the legend?
yes
i haven't been in the ou room enough lately to know what that means
don't really care who wins olt but i think it would be hilarious if tele ended up winning the whole thing
i hope they lose horribly in the next 2 games
i regret it honestly. thought he turned over a new leaf and i was wrong.

yes
i haven't been in the ou room enough lately to know what that means
don't really care who wins olt but i think it would be hilarious if tele ended up winning the whole thing
i hope they lose horribly in the next 2 games
i regret it honestly. thought he turned over a new leaf and i was wrong.
Kind of hard to lose 2 games when you're down 3-1 in the best of 7... but the Mets are awesome enough to do that!!
Best answer you ever got from someone you interviewed?

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
marry me?

do you admit you are, for all intents and purposes, ginger?

u did a gr8 job running this thread while u did ;]

Clone

Free Gliscor
Kind of hard to lose 2 games when you're down 3-1 in the best of 7... but the Mets are awesome enough to do that!!
Best answer you ever got from someone you interviewed?
lol last i checked it was 2-1 royals. just goes to show how much i actually stopped caring after the cubs lost (rip back to the future predicts ;-;)

i really don't know. i've gotten some good ones that i somewhat remember but there's 45 threads and i cbf to look through all of em. i think mcm made a good one about one of my questions if my memory serves me correctly
Would you consider a name change to dashClonedash?

Top Netflix shows?

Thoughts on Star Wars Episodes 1 through 3?
only if after that i get the name "Clone"

star wars the clone wars, futurama, mythbusters, breaking bad, the walking dead, the flash, dexter, and others

1 should kill itself and never be spoken of again. 2 was okayish but the romance between anakin and padme was so bad lol. the ending was great tho ngl. i actually really liked 3 tho there were definitely some parts of it that made me cringe. it had enough action in it to make me overlook the bad parts of it tho
marry me?

do you admit you are, for all intents and purposes, ginger?

u did a gr8 job running this thread while u did ;]
um

lolno

thanks bro

Clone

Free Gliscor
What are your thoughts on the new Star Wars movie "The Force Awakens"?
i really hope it's a good movie. there's a shiton of hype surrounding it and i'm honestly not sure if it will live up to it all. i do, however, love how we know literally nothing about it outside of some stupid rumors that i have no intentions of looking into. the fact that they got rid of the eu to make this movie makes me feel that they're gonna do something great with this, and i hope they do. dec 18th can't come soon enough.

Rate my avatar / 10
Least favourite number?
Least favourite punctuation mark?
5 cuz i'm not a dbz fan at all, tho it's not a bad avatar

69 because the amount of sex jokes that come with it is too damn high

the comma because 90% of the population either don't know what they are, or use them completely wrong (including myself on some occasions).

Thoughts on Mega-Sableye?

Just wanted to say thanks for running this project for so long!
I really enjoyed reading all your interviews bud :)

Clone

Free Gliscor
how much have you made from potw bribes
Lots of favors. Unfortunately I haven't made any money off the project =[

Thoughts on Mega-Sableye?

Just wanted to say thanks for running this project for so long!
I really enjoyed reading all your interviews bud :)
Sab is annoying but it's really not as bad as I once thought it was when ORAS first came out. Sab balance is pretty cool and is a playstyle I actually like, despite my disdain towards more passive builds.

However, I absolutely hate it when it's used on goth stall because that shit is fucking aids. If Sab needs to be banned in order for that playstyle to be eradicated, then I'm perfectly fine with it (although I believe goth is the real culprit when it comes to that)

Glad you enjoyed the project. I had fun running it and am glad to see that others enjoyed it.

whats it like being on the other side of the questionaire

biggest pet peeve (pokemon or not)

advice for people who are interested in applying to be a tutor

what do you want to do with your "smogon career" next

Trains A and B are traveling in the same direction on parallel tracks. Train A is traveling at 60 mph and train B is traveling at 70 mph. Train A passesa station at 12:20 P.M. If train B passes the same station at 12:32 P.M., at what time will train B catch up to train A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)