np: ORAS UU Stage 4 - Go with the Flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am seriously excited about Zapdos. I've been saying for a while that we need another decent Defogger or Spinner in the tier, especially with how insanely good the hazard game is in this meta. It's not Starmie, but I will fucking take it. Zapdos can actually fit on offensive teams with its solid base 125 SpAtt, base 100 Speed and access to momentum moves, meaning that offense gets a decent offensive Defogger not named LO Mence or Sky Plate Crobat.

EDIT: and offense also always appreciates Coba checks...

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What I'm most looking forward to about Zapdos is definitely the offensive presence it's going to have. Its got a leg up on its competition with a beefy 125 SpA stat and a functionally similar role to that of heliolisk and rotom (added fighting resist). Granted, those two have their own advantages, mainly through coverage, but I believe that the greatly increased longevity and bulk provided by Roost will significantly change what we see for electric types. That extra bulk will be pivotal in stopping pokemon like doublade, cobalion, and lucario who are otherwise difficult to handle for a lot of teams. I'm a bit sad that we won't get to enjoy sylveon, conkeldurr, or celebi but I have a feeling that those first two would wear out their welcome really quickly in terms of what is fun to play against (at least for me). Anyways, looking forward to testing out big bird soon!

But we got Zapdos all the same, didn't we? I'm a huge fan of the electric bird, and I've wanted it to drop for a long time now. This should be a really interesting contribution to the metagame...Zapdos is arguably one of the premier checks to Cobalion now, and I'm excited to see it perform in this metagame. It could work well with Empoleon, maybe? We'll see.

Yeah, I would've liked to see Conkeldurr drop, but not Sylveon. Sylveon sounds way too strong for this metagame thanks to its strength and coverage. No thanks.

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos is def going to be a welcome addition to the tier, and despite a somewhat limited move pool I can see a bunch of viable sets sprouting up. Some that come to mind:
-agility: thunderbolt heat wave then either HP ice or grass with agility could work as a late game cleaner that can set up on the likes of coba, doublade, crobat, forrey and many other Mons because of its very cool typing

-sub roost: with a set similar to kyurem zapdos could more than likely make good use of pressure with its typing and bulk. You could even forgoe a coverage move and go one attack toxic sub roost and go full on cancer lol

-specs: not to sure that this will be incredibly good thanks to lack of super strong stabs minus possibly thunder, but its def a set i and others will give a try and could act as a strong pivot.

Defensive: like I said before zapdos's typing ui very cool giving it resistances to flying, fighting, steel, grass, bug, and an immunity to ground so a defensive (more than likely physically defensive) set could work well for it especially with defog and the ability to pivot with volt.

-offensive defog: I could see it running a set similar to special defog mence however I'd probably go lefties before life orb. Again its cool resists give it the ability to defog on a lot for offensive teams

Just my guesses on what some of its set and how they could fare, I think it will find a good home here in UU and I'm very happy to have it n_n

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Zapdos is awesome.

I think one of the best sets could be a simple offensive Life Orb or leftovers set of Volt Switch, Heat Wave, Roost, and HP grass. This makes it a dangerous attacker that is almost impossible to cover without losing momentum.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
ZAPDOS IN UU? WHAT THE HELL? But in all seriousness, Zapdos is going to be amazing. It can run a lot of sets, like the ones listed above. It already has a offensive presence even with the defensive set thanks to 125 special attack, it's decently fast, and it's got good bulk that allows it to wall many things, and it's got Defog! While I will won't say Zapdos is a suspectable mon, it's gonna be top-tier in UU most definetely. And no, please don't retest Mega Burd.

What are some good support Zapdos EV spreads that people came up with ? I'm using 248 HP, 124 SpA and 136 Speed with Timid Nature to outspeed Jolly Heracross.

The thing I like about Zapdos so far is that it's not only just a defog user but also an amazing lure to whatever you want it to lure; I use HP Ice to lure Gligar and Mence so Coballion can sweep but HP Grass can also be used to lure Swampert and Quagsire while Air Cutter can be used to destroy the fighting types it's supposed to check.

loving this burd right now

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
And to the people mad that we got nothing but Zapdos, remember last time, we got shitty shit like Smeargle and Goth (Emphasis on the Goth)

And to the people mad that we got nothing but Zapdos, remember last time, we got shitty shit like Smeargle and Goth (Emphasis on the Goth)
People got mad because Conkeldurr, Celery, and Sylveon are very close to dropping. I honestly think Zapdos is a fantastic addition on its own but not as tier shaking compared to when multiple awesome pokes drop.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion

What are some good support Zapdos EV spreads that people came up with ? I'm using 248 HP, 124 SpA and 136 Speed with Timid Nature to outspeed Jolly Heracross.
just a small nitpick, but you should use modest - 248 hp / 16 spa / 244 spe. it retains the same bulk and speed, but adds 2 extra spa points. it's the pivot zapdos spread that i've always used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)