Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I was in another forum and somebody said you could bait people into Dorf's Volcano Kick with mindgames.

Is this even realistic? I'm not exactly an expert at the game, but its long-ass execution time and the fact it's super telegraphed make me question the validity of that tactic.

Luigi sometimes panickes vs Volcano Kick and it's really funny when they try to escape and then shield it in panic. But in the most part, Volcano Kick isn't really something you can bait people into. Yeah, sure, has little lag after the attack, but tbh, Ganon's U-tilt just takes SO much time that you'll find yourself barely using it at all. I mainly use it for ledgeguard when i feel edge guarding is just unsafe with Ganon (i.e vs ryu and falco) and shouldn't be used more than for that...

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Assuming volcano kick is ganon's utilt from the post above (just pls say utilt, i've literally never heard of volcano kick before, utilt is universal for all characters and recognizable by everyone), then no, you can't really bait into it. The move takes like 90 frames to charge iirc or something ridiculous like that, that's way more than enough time to react to it and just roll away/jump/attack/whatever.

if i'm being frank it should just never be used. it's a terrible move.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
It's not a competitive move, you ONLY use it to fish for opponents who don't understand how far the hitbox/windbox extends, and even then its a disrespect move.

Ganondorf has 7 better edgeguarding moves and Warlock Punch is a better I AM IN YOUR HEAD move.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
End of an era. Had to happen at one point. He's still the undisputed king anyways.

On a side note, Nairo using that clutch character until GFs was amazing.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Samus does have a great camping game, but the thing is that she can do stuff out of it. Heck, tether can be used as a spacing aerial tool and it also has a D-Throw into fair combo. Does gunner have any of those? Like, gunner is a worse samus, with pretty laggy aerials and smash attacks that are rip offs from some other characters (check up-smash). Why would i use Gunner when Samus is around?
Gunner and Samus don't play anything like each other lol. Gunner is significantly more agressive courtesy of FAir, Bomb Drop, Grenade etc., doesn't have unusable speed (not good speed unless small, but better than Samus') and has an easier time netting kills off-stage courtesy of both Fair and Cannon Uppercut. It is significantly better at edgeguarding simply because of the versatility of its projectiles and I'd even go as far as arguing that it is better suited to the meta.

If ur referring to 1111 neutral size then they are about as good as one another (samus is stronger but gunner has a smaller hurtbox, samus is more campy and gunner can afford to approach more at the cost of combo potential), but they still don't play much like one another.

Fair is a pretty strong neutral tool, but I wouldn't even call it an approach option since I'm pretty sure neither player can follow up on it if you're spacing it properly. TBH it's like Samus zair but worse. The greatest defining characteristic of Gunner's moveset is its' Fsmash in my opinion, it has incredible disjointed range... more than anything Ike and possibly Shulk have, and unlike their smashes it won't do to simply shield 1 or 2 hits and then punish.

That's why it's generally worse than ZAir, lol

They just serve pretty similar purposes as spacing tools (Fair being a lot safer with far less reward for hitting it)

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's why it's generally worse than ZAir, lol

They just serve pretty similar purposes as spacing tools (Fair being a lot safer with far less reward for hitting it)
Oops i misread, i apoligize.

Moving on, is there literally no follow ups for Gunner FAir?

I can't imagine there being any, it's a pretty weak hit and sends you at an awkward upwards angle... Maybe you can land a Charge Shot with a good airdodge read or another Fair if you have your double jump

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Can someone tell me a character that is good against Olimar? I'm having trouble against them and their stupid ass playstyle (Building a literal wall around itself)
Great way to spend my 400th post

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can someone tell me a character that is good against Olimar? I'm having trouble against them and their stupid ass playstyle (Building a literal wall around itself)
Great way to spend my 400th post
Sheik and Mario are his 2 worst matchups, I would imagine Rosa also bodies him quite convincingly.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Someone on reddit setup a points guessing system wherein the person who most accurately predicts the content of the next smash 4 dlc will have said dlc bought for them. It'd be pretty cool if someone on PS or Smogon won.

I specifically bet Ganon will get a minor buff for a theoretical total of +1 if I'm right and -1 if I'm wrong. Seeing as incorrectly guessing a dlc character is -50, and that Ganon has gotten a very minor buff every patch up to this point I'm hedging my bets that no one else will go positive.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Speaking of which, NoA tweeted that there will be a direct next thursday at 2 PM EST. That's 10 PM GMT, 1 am friday GMT+3.

I'm looking forward to this Direct, and I'm wondering what Nintendo will present.

Also, a while back, I participated in Smash On Tap, which is a weeklies even held at a billiard lounge in Toronto. I went for the first time, and got 5th out of about 26 people.

Some of my sets were streamed and recorded on Twitch. Particularily, the beginning set, and the two sets that begin after that match on 2:05:00 (The matches with the green Ike, as that Ike is me):
http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/v/20855749

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)