Unpopular opinions

The gender separation in Meowstic.
How come the female is the offensive one, and the male is the supporter? Nidoqueen was bulkier but weaker than Nidoking, same with Latias and Latios, Miltank and Tauros, Braviary and Mandibuzz.
So odd, and I hate it. Total load of bull.

Also, why does the Battle Maison return in ORAS? The Battle Maison is a very feminine place, especially when compared to the classic Battle Tower or the most-recent Battle Subway, to the point that all the leaders (i.e. Chatelaines) are female. This makes sense for Kalos, which is essentially Pokémon's version of France, but Hoenn...? They should've done away with this feminine, and thus repulsive, building and reinstalled RS's Battle Tower, if not E's Battle Frontier. At least that had a few male bosses, compared to the all-female leadership of the Maison. Hate that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How come the female is the offensive one, and the male is the supporter? Nidoqueen was bulkier but weaker than Nidoking, same with Latias and Latios, Miltank and Tauros, Braviary and Mandibuzz.

Also, why does the Battle Maison return in ORAS? The Battle Maison is a very feminine place, especially when compared to the classic Battle Tower or the most-recent Battle Subway, to the point that all the leaders (i.e. Chatelaines) are female. This makes sense for Kalos, which is essentially Pokémon's version of France, but Hoenn...? They should've done away with this feminine, and thus repulsive, building and reinstalled RS's Battle Tower, if not E's Battle Frontier. At least that had a few male bosses, compared to the all-female leadership of the Maison. Hate that.
Is it so wrong for them wanting to avert gender roles? In the animal kingdom there are plenty of examples of a matriarchy or just where the females are the better hunters. If you want to stick to some kind of gender role than think of it this way, females are generally seen being the more clever ones or in Pokemon are more prone to the Special stat. So with Meowstic being a Special oriented Psychic-type the species looks to have decided since females have a natural talent for that they're in charge of attacking while males do the "heavy lifting" with laying down the status buffs.

... I'm sensing you have a problem with femininity.

Anyway, let's put gender roles aside. I think it's agreed the Battle Resort was a disappointment in ORAS, NOT because of the Battle Maison and the Chatelaines, but because everyone was expecting the Emerald Battle Frontier. Them cutting and pasting the Battle Maison felt desperate (I don't want to say lazy since I think everyone knows that it was probably due to time restraints) and I don't think anyone would have a problem with them holding the game back to put the Battle Frontier in. At the very least put the Frontier Brains somewhere even if you don't give them unique art.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I agree completely man, the Pokemon games already have way too much positive female representation as it is. I mean, c'mon, there's no way a place like that could exist in real life. An entire building run by women...smh lol...hasn't GAME FREAK heard of cooties?

...Admittedly, yes. I do think females should be supporters, following the mould the series has stuck to until this point.
And yes, I do think gender roles were better, because males and females are so different - why act as if they are the exact same, when they're not?

All we get for the Battle Frontier is a diorama and several NPCs mentioning it (one suited dude talks about hiring Lucy, for example). Lame. We don't even get to see Scott or Lucy, which is extremely odd.

Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
PokeMaster99999:
... there's just as many aversions to that as examples. Kangaskhan is all female, heck their the poster Pokemon of maternity, yet they kick so much behind (with their child who is also female) so much they had to be banned. Tell those who have nightmares about Whitney's Miltank that its the defensive one and Tauros is the the fearsome one in that relationship. Froslass is usually consider better than Glalie, Glalie only having the slight upperhand now having a Mega Evolution which could be fixed by giving Froslass a Mega Evolution. Lilligant was the attacker while Whimsicott was the supporter in their duo. Cinccino are more likely to be female and with their decent Attakc, high Speed, and Skill Link Ability (and moves to use it) they're somewhat fierce if not prepared. Granbull is also morel likely to be female and they're VERY physical. Also Gardevoir is just as powerful as Gallade, except Gardevoir is Special and Gallade is Physical (and BTW Gardevoir can easily beat Gallade since its part Fairy-type and Gallade is Fighting-type).

Well I think the Delinquent in the Battle Maison's top floor is suppose to be Lucy as she talks about her Seviper. But yeah, the lack of Emerald Battle Frontier is disappointing.

BTW, speaking of the Emerald Battle Frontier, let me remind you that canonically the strongest Emerald Frontier Brain is Anabel since she's in charge of the Battle Tower.

Personally I felt just putting in the Battle Tower would be better since at least that was originally "Hoenn". They could have introduced just Anabel (and maybe one other Frontier Brain or someone else for Multi-Battles) and have her run the Battle Tower telling the player that Scott hired her first to drum up interest for the whole Battle Tower.

How come the female is the offensive one, and the male is the supporter?
You know, when Meowstic was revealed I was actually surprised how quickly I found the difference to be completely expected, given that it is different to the previous standards Pokemon have set. And that's when I realised: I'm the male meowstic, and my sister is the female meowstic.

I find my sister to be highly offensive.

EDIT: just noticed re: the battle maison being feminine in comparison to previous battle facilities. Which reminds me of a particular school of architectural thought: The battle tower is a metaphor. The metaphor represents a penis. That's okay, yeah?

I realise that, Caramel, but...eh, I've been like that for years, and it's difficult to get past old habits/thoughts. Just look at the old creationist vs. evolution debate - people still can't get over that. Or the debacle over heliocentric and geocentric solar system models - people didn't get over that for more than a century.
I should try to, though, I guess.
So yeah, that's my Unpopular Opinion.

I realise that, Caramel, but...eh, I've been like that for years, and it's difficult to get past old habits/thoughts. Just look at the old creationist vs. evolution debate - people still can't get over that. Or the debacle over heliocentric and geocentric solar system models - people didn't get over that for more than a century.
You're at least aware that there's something wrong with what you've said. Which puts you above 99% of people I've heard throw out things like that. It's definitely a learning process, and it's good that you're working on it. Keep at it.

Anyway:
Just noticed re: the battle maison being feminine in comparison to previous battle facilities. Which reminds me of a particular school of architectural thought: The battle tower is a metaphor. The metaphor represents a penis. That's okay, yeah?
Well played.

On the topic of, well, inappropriate topics: There's a scene from XY I'm fond of, the fireworks at Parfum Palace. I like it for a couple of reasons. One of them being my absolute favorite piece of music in the entire game (sorry, Sycamore; also, why did they only use it that once). The other is that, if you play at night as Calem, things get...interesting. And I absolutely love how GameFreak managed to sneak that under the radar.

Reactions: JES
I enjoy BW2 over BW. Despite BW being loved for it's story and changes to the formula... the attempt is appreciated but it fell so far because of how badly it was handled. I much preferrred BW2's mix of 'mon, the design of the route and region, the things to do, etc. Only thing I didn't like about the design really was the forced Pokestar tutorial; took way too long, was incredibly dull and boring and should have been entirely optional.

I can't say anything about BW2 because I never finished it... if I ever do, I'll come and say stuff anyway.
Stupid sewers.

Going to say this here though, I hated animated sprites. A single action that the Pokemon does when entering battle looks fine, but things like this...

Eugh. I think that they look just plain horrible, and i'm glad that Pokemon made the move to 3D models. Mario made the move in 1996, 1998 for Zelda, two of Nintendo's other huge franchises. Sure they look washed out, but the game looks great and is current now. I still like games with sprites... Phoenix Wright, etc, but animated sprites for Pokemon looked horrible, and I'm glad that they're gone.

I'll take this over the first Charizard any day.

I can't say anything about BW2 because I never finished it... if I ever do, I'll come and say stuff anyway.
Stupid sewers.

Going to say this here though, I hated animated sprites. A single action that the Pokemon does when entering battle looks fine, but things like this...

Eugh. I think that they look just plain horrible, and i'm glad that Pokemon made the move to 3D models. Mario made the move in 1996, 1998 for Zelda, two of Nintendo's other huge franchises. Sure they look washed out, but the game looks great and is current now. I still like games with sprites... Phoenix Wright, etc, but animated sprites for Pokemon looked horrible, and I'm glad that they're gone.

I'll take this over the first Charizard any day.
I think the problem was that they made the sprites look TOO animated. A little animation is fine, but the BW sprites having like every part of the Pokemon constantly moving in sometimes inconsistent ways (Reuniclus's arms come to mind when I think of them)

Plus the animated BW Charizard sprite has that weird thing going on with the neck. It looks very unnatural to me. The sprite also makes Charizard's belly look way too round, which is only emphasized by the contrast with its thin neck. I was so glad when I first saw Charizard's 3D model. Finally restored to its glory.

Another thing about the BW animated sprites is how you can immediately spot the 'squareness' of the movements. It looks like they just cut out different parts and moved those in an obviously calculated direction. It does not look fluent and natural.

I saw the BW/B2W2 moving sprites a step forward, but there were growing pains. Certain pokemon got waaaaaay too pixelated when they moved, and unfortunately the biggest culprits were usually older pokemon that weren't designed with the moving sprites in mind.

Besides the 3D models themselves, I also appreciated all the effort that went into animating the pokemon for 6th gen. Most pokemon have at least two different attack animations, and all have hit and entrance animations. Seriously, the models themselves don't do justice. They come to life through motion!

I don't want to be too hard on Gen5 because I feel it was just a necessary growing stage to get to where we are today. With all the hiccups and awkwardness that brings.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I don't like how the main game now has 3D models. I mean the type of 3D models looks...weird. I prefer the Pokemon Battle Revolution 3D models way more.
I know they try to make it look like it's kind of 2D ish, but it still doesn't look too 2D to me.

I still would prefer if the main games have 2D, and 3D is reserved for Wii U games. So we have a variety of the Pokemon world.
I wish the main games can have moving 2D stuff like Fate Grand Order.

They do move, in a 2D way.
Each model is consists of different parts/ layers, and they adjust the parts when they move.

The funny thing is, if the models have the black outline taken away - as can be seen on many fan things and you can just glimpse it on some 'mon during mega evolution - they look so much better. Like, not even kidding; it looks straight out of wind waker or something. The black outline just adds nothing but a pixilated awful-looking effect because they wanted some sort of anime-esque look. ... oh and uh the positioning of some 'mon like swellow and xatu are bad too

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The funny thing is, if the models have the black outline taken away - as can be seen on many fan things and you can just glimpse it on some 'mon during mega evolution - they look so much better. Like, not even kidding; it looks straight out of wind waker or something. The black outline just adds nothing but a pixilated awful-looking effect because they wanted some sort of anime-esque look. ... oh and uh the positioning of some 'mon like swellow and xatu are bad too
Really no reason to have a black outline for 3D models. Sure it may help separate them from the background but if they're blending in the background that badly I say you need to adjust the color of the background (also the Pokemon's movement would separate it from the mostly still background). While the 3D is stylized I don't think its too stylized like Wind Waker was.

But next Gen they'll remove the black lines, only having it here since this is the main series jump to 3D and they wanted to maybe ease older players in?

Yeah, it's Unpopular alright! Is it wrong that I find the whole debacle funny?

I read the whole region-discussion from a few pages ago and wanted to add my own opinion but never got around to it so... I'll do it now. Unova is my favorite region. I love everything about it. The variation when it comes to environments is wonderful and the best in the series. It has literally everything, from fields to seas to volcanoes to bridges and even seasons! I also love the layout. I am of the very unpopular opinion that linearity in the games is a very good thing that the games benefit from, compared to non-linearity that offers zero benefits but causes massive problems. This is regarding the main storyline, not the post-game. I also love the Pokemon distribution in both Unova installments. Then Generation 5 is my favorite so I am automatically biased towards the region it offers as well.

I like Pokemon Battle Revolution. While it was mainly a 3D battle simulator for Gen 4 and a substitute Battle Frontier for D/P, it was still a lot of fun to play. And rather challenging too, beating 100 battles in a row at Courtyard Colosseum was quite the trial, and beating the higher ranks at Stargazer Colosseum took me many tries. The graphics in the game were great, and the music was amazing. The game didn't do a lot but most of what it did, it did well.

I don't think G/S/C & HG/SS has the best post-game in the series. I don't even think it is good. It is bad. Very bad. While there is a large area to explore, it just isn't interesting at all. There is no story in Kanto whatsoever, just a very minor thing regarding the Power Plant, which was boring to play though and just another example of uncreative roadblocks in the games. Kanto was way too open and not linear enough so there couldn't be any level progression at all. And the wild Pokemon started out at too low levels to begin with, the trainers were also too weak. Beating the Gym Leaders weren't interesting either due to the lack of story and proper characterization. The areas and environments were uninteresting, the wild Pokemon distribution offered very little new and interesting as almost all of the wild Pokemon had already been encountered in Johto. Overall, it was a bland and boring mess compared to what it could have been, or what it was in R/B/Y & FR/LG. However, I wouldn't say it is the worst post-game in the series, but it isn't far from. Should Game Freak decide to make a proper post-game again in the future, I hope they use B2/W2 as a basis as I think these games have the best post-game in the series by a long shot. They are also a good and recent example that Game Freak can make a good post-game if they just want to.

Not sure if this is unpopular, but... I really like Gothitelle. I always preferred it over Reuniclus (which I also like, but not as much) and I definitely like it better than Jynx and Gardevoir, the former is interesting but not one of my top favorites, and the latter is my least favorite out of all existing Pokemon (maybe this is also unpopular?). Gothitelle is awesome all around though. I have zero interest in fashion but I think gothic lolita looks awesome so a Pokemon based around it gets my approval.

Lastly, another which I am unsure about whether it is unpopular or not. In addition to Generation 5 being my favorite, I really like both B/W and B2/W2. I believe this is (at least somewhat) unpopular because based on what I have seen on several Pokemon forums, people generally seem to like/prefer one 5th Gen pair but dislike or not care much for the other. I really like both of them though, B/W mainly for the story and characters, the new start feeling and for bringing me back into Pokemon once and for all, B2/W2 for having the best and most content in the series and being extremely fun to play in addition to follow up on everything B/W did and continue doing it very well. I also loved how much actual new content and features there were, much more so than what Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum had compared to their first pairs. Or for that matter, more than what FR/LG, HG/SS and OR/AS had to offer compared to their originals. There are many other reasons as for why I love both 5th Gen pairs, but these are my main ones.

Edit: Fixed spelling mistakes and made some small elaborations.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is unpopular, but... I really like Gothitelle. I always preferred it over Reuniclus (which I also like, but not as much) and I definitely like it better than Jynx and Gardevoir, the former is interesting but not one of my top favorites, and the latter is my least favorite out of all existing Pokemon (maybe this is also unpopular?). Gothitelle is awesome all around though. I have zero interest in fashion but I think gothic lolita looks awesome so a Pokemon based around it gets my approval.
I've always said to myself that as long as there is one person who really really likes a Pokemon, then that Pokemon should exist. And I have yet to find any Pokemon that has not had at least one really ardent fan! Gothitelle wouldn't be in my favourites list, design-wise, and not just since its stats are meh and its ability is... well, check out the policy forum, but just because it's a very... "modern" design. Like how modern art is typically imagined by your average joe. Very... bold. Geometric. Pushes the envelope. And that's all without considering the subject matter! But those aren't reasons to dislike it, I just think Goth is one of those polarising designs. I am thoroughly glad it exists.

Reuniclus is top psychic tho
struck out because it's not an unpopular opinion, everyone knows it deep down

E: Oh hang on. Is anyone here a fan of Landorus? I've heard a bazillion complaints, and despite some pretty baller fan art, haven't heard anybody sing its praises outside of a competitive viewpoint. And if I can't find a Landorus fan on Smogon of all places, I don't think I ever will.

I like Landorus, it's a freaking Inari that meets the jaguar of the mesoamerican panteon, design wise it's freaking great, a tail that embodies the birth of land in Japanese folklore with paws made of clouds? What's to hate man.

Competitive wise it's a great answer to physical Pokémon that almost al as will keep the other player guessing if it's the same shit scarfer or if it has hp to get a check down, stealth rock or double dance laughing at people expecting a scarf. In doubles he is just the response to mega khanga being the biggest proof that GF has no idea of what they are doing, and people hate him for being reliable against the reinforced metagame we are being shoved down our throats. Yet instead of admitting the "official" metagame is a joke some decided it's easier to bash Landorus even in singles...Even if he is just a decent answer to some threats instead of an universally splashable threat.

I blame doubles for Landorus hate hyperbole and kids that don't understand the natural process of game centralization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)