Gothitelle / Shadow Tag Suspect Test

Well to be fair, you can very easily argue that Gothitelle is broken with Shadow Tag whereas Wobbuffet is not, meaning that the qualities that Gothitelle possesses combined with Shadow Tag are what makes it broken, not Shadow Tag by itself. Specifically, Gothitelle's ability to attack, access to Trick (which allows it to revenge kill and stall break), and good coverage allowing it to pick and choose what it revenge kills are what allows it to use Shadow Tag in a way that makes it broken. Since Wobbuffet with Shadow Tag isn't broken, but Gothitelle with Shadow Tag arguably is, doesn't it stand to reason that we should ban Gothitelle and not Shadow Tag?

Either way, despite arguments made about Wobbuffet and disregarding whether it is broken or not, there is a camp that does not want Shadow Tag banned because they prefer we ban Pokémon.

Why not at least suspect Gothitelle's line, and let the arguments play themselves out in a suspect test while we have definitive frustration and arguments as to why it is uncompetitive (which is actually defined now)?

We can look at suspecting Wobbuffet at another point in time when/if he emerges as an issue (or suspect all the Shadow Tag mons together if that better suits everyone not wanting to ban specifically Shadow Tag!).

We have waited a good while and continued to see situations play out with Gothitelle that create uncompetitive (and quite frankly not very fun) play. At this point it doesn't matter if the meta can adapt, she's arguably met the criteria we've defined as uncompetitive, and as such should be suspected and/or banned.

By suspecting it we make almost everyone happy:

-We're looking at a specific Pokémon, not an ability.

-We're addressing a Pokémon people feel is uncompetitive and giving the opportunity to ban it

-We're allowing people who don't find it a problem to participate in the suspect test and further argue their side and potentially save it from being banned.

The only downside I see in suspecting Goth is potentially losing non-ST Goth in lower tiers, which I think most would agree is a minimal cost to pay, as well as consistent with past bans (i.e. Blaziken).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)