How do you pick a version?

With everyone listing all of their versions, I wonder if this would be suited to a poll? Or, umm, six of them.

But anyway.

Blue because red=blehh (blue power ranger > red power ranger)
Silver because silver is to blue as gold is to red (because reasons)
Ruby because Groudon looked pretty cool despite his natural deficiencies (i.e., being red)
Leaf Green because... etc etc
Pearl because Palkia is the coolest pink thing to ever exist and I was determined to prove it
SSilver because Silver remake
White because I fell in love with Reuniclus
Black 2 for the opposite version exclusives
Y because Yveltal is the new Groudon and Dragalge is the new Reuniclus
Alpha Sapphire because... pretty much 100% because of the Thundurus SR opportunity. It was an unhappy purchase.

...I'm actually surprised I had any form of reasons, looking back at it.

I purchase both versions, as one will be my 'main' (that never gets deleted and contains my achievements in dex completion and Battle facility certificates/streaks), and the other will be my 'playthrough' copy (that will get deleted so I can replay the game using different teams).

I usually pick a version by its name. It's dumb but that's how it works for me lol. Imo I liked the name Ruby over Sapphire and Platinum over Diamond and Pearl, and White over Black (this sounds like out of context racism ._.).

Anyway...

Blue because Red was out of stock. However, once Red got back in stock, I switched to Red.
Gold for a reason I don't remember.
I actually got both Ruby and Sapphire, but played Ruby more.
FireRed because I preferred Red over Blue.
Diamond, again for a reason I don't remember.
HeartGold because that's what the store had.
White because I thought more people would be playing Black.
Black 2 because I wanted Black Kyurem.
Y because I thought more people would play X. That said, I did end up getting X later on, but it didn't get as much play as Y.
Alpha Sapphire for the same reason: I thought Omega Ruby would be more popular.

The first Gen 1 Game I remember playing was Yellow. Don't remember if I chose it or not.
Never actually got gen 2
Ruby was my choice of game Gen 3. Red=Favorite color=Red Legendary=Mine
Diamond for D/P, Because it looked awesome and roar of time sounded cooler.(also got Platinum)
SoulSilver for me. I thought Lugia would be cooler because Power of One movie. Was disappointed heavily. Also, Groudon instead of Kyogre.
I got white Version for Gen 5. Zekrom looked awesome and I wasn't really all that excited about Black's exclusives.
Definitely wanted Y over X. Bacon Burd for the win.(death god vs life god? pfft.)
Omega Ruby because Nostalgia, and I just KNEW Pdon was better than Pogre.

I normally look at what pokemon are featured in each version and which ones I'd rather have.

I got Blue since I love Sandslash.
Silver 'cause I wanted a Skarmory.
I got myself Sapphire because Ludicolo = master race.
Pearl was chosen just because I liked the legend mascot better.
I chose White because I always thought Zekrom was cooler and I wanted a Braviary
And I chose Y over X because.... well, everybody was choosing X, and I liked the idea of a giant deathbird much better than a treedeer.

Just by which mascot I prefer. What's funny is me and my bro always like the mascot the other doesn't, and for every Gen except Gen 2, I liked the lesser bought game (Ruby, Pearl, etc.).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
First, I stretch out my hand towards the version in question. Then it's time to evaluate the facts and make a decision.

If the cartridge is out of its box, I lay my thumb along the edge of the cartridge closest to me, and use my index finger on the far edge to press it gently towards the thumb, until I got the cartridge in a firm grip. Then I lift my hand, keeping the cartridge pressed between my thumb and index finger. Next, I twist my hand so that the palm is facing my face, and use the same hand's middle finger to gently turn the cartridge around, gradually replacing the grip of the index finger. I now hold the cartridge above my horizontal palm, between the thumb and the middle finger. My ring finger is steadying the grip. I then relieve the pressure from my thumb flip the cartridge over, and let it slide gently along the middle and ring finger. Assuming it initially lay label side up, the label is now facing down, towards the middle and ring finger. With a final flick of the middle three fingers, I flip the cartridge over so it lays label-side up in my palm. I've now successfully picked the cartridge up, and can carry it safely. I can then close my fist halfway and flip the cartridge over again, so I can grab it between my thumb and little finger, to insert it precisely into the cartrige slot of the DS I hold in my other hand.

Picking up a box with a cartridge in it is even easier. I first press my thumb against the approximate middle of the box's face. I then wrap the four other fingers around the edge of the box that's the furthest away from me, or the one to my right (left if I'm picking up with my left hand). I press my middle finger gently on the edge of the box, simultaneously lifting my hand so the edge rises above the surface. I then stick the four fingers underneath the box, all the while maintaining the pressure with my thumb. Now I can keep the box in a steady grip between the thumb and the rest of the fingers, and so carry it safely.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
First, I stretch out my hand towards the version in question. Then it's time to evaluate the facts and make a decision.

If the cartridge is out of its box, I lay my thumb along the edge of the cartridge closest to me, and use my index finger on the far edge to press it gently towards the thumb, until I got the cartridge in a firm grip. Then I lift my hand, keeping the cartridge pressed between my thumb and index finger. Next, I twist my hand so that the palm is facing my face, and use the same hand's middle finger to gently turn the cartridge around, gradually replacing the grip of the index finger. I now hold the cartridge above my horizontal palm, between the thumb and the middle finger. My ring finger is steadying the grip. I then relieve the pressure from my thumb flip the cartridge over, and let it slide gently along the middle and ring finger. Assuming it initially lay label side up, the label is now facing down, towards the middle and ring finger. With a final flick of the middle three fingers, I flip the cartridge over so it lays label-side up in my palm. I've now successfully picked the cartridge up, and can carry it safely. I can then close my fist halfway and flip the cartridge over again, so I can grab it between my thumb and little finger, to insert it precisely into the cartrige slot of the DS I hold in my other hand.

Picking up a box with a cartridge in it is even easier. I first press my thumb against the approximate middle of the box's face. I then wrap the four other fingers around the edge of the box that's the furthest away from me, or the one to my right (left if I'm picking up with my left hand). I press my middle finger gently on the edge of the box, simultaneously lifting my hand so the edge rises above the surface. I then stick the four fingers underneath the box, all the while maintaining the pressure with my thumb. Now I can keep the box in a steady grip between the thumb and the rest of the fingers, and so carry it safely.
Everyone's a comedian.

Also this doesn't work if you're playing a digital version of the game. :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How do you even pick up a digital version? That only works if it's stored on something pick-up-able, for which the same method can be applied.
Well you also have to press buttons/tap the screen so there are some additional steps:

I removed the stylus from its place in the 3DS system and wrapped by fingers around it. I then moved the stylus to above the touch screen. I then tapped the touch screen with the stylus where the Store icon was. The game system registered the press and its location as both the touch and top screen flashed with lights and movement. The Store opened up and I once again positioned the stylus above the touch screen. This time the location I pressed down on was the Search button. Once again the game system's screen flashed with light and movement as a digital keyboard appeared on the bottom screen. With the stylus I tapped each individual letter of the game I expected to be playing soon. P. O. K. E. M. O. N. I didn't write anymore as I figured that'll tell the machine what I wanted. Sure enough, after some more lights and motion the screen presented me with a display of icons representing the recent Pokemon titles, including the one I wanted. A tap of the screen, lights, motion, and the screen showed me the game's description page. I tapped the stylus on the screen where the scroll bar was and twisted my hand making the stylus slide down the screen. The scroll bar moved with it on screen as did the page. Scrolled all the way down was the Purchase icon, and with a swift tap of the screen with the stylus the game system registered I typed the Purchase icon, lighting up and motioning till the touch screen presented me the downloading screen...

I only started picking my own games at 4th gen.

Diamond / Pearl:
I picked Diamond because randomized brain functions... and I liked Dialga.

Heart Gold / Soul Silver
I picked Heart Gold because I had seen people playing Soul Silver, and I wanted to play something different.

Black / White
I picked White because I wanted to use Zekrom. Same with Black 2 / White 2.

X / Y
I picked Y because I liked Yveltal better than Xerneas.

OR / AS
I put the two games next to each other on a shelf. Then, I tilted them both simultaneously until one fell. I took home Alpha Sapphire.

Alright, let's see...

Ruby / Sapphire
Sapphire because i liked how Kyogre looked over Groudon.

FR/LG
LG, probably because I was trying to be a hipster and not pick the one with Charizard on it.

Diamond / Pearl
Diamond because I liked how Dialga looked over Palkia

HG/SS
HG because I don't know why.

Black / White
Black because I liked how Reshiram looked over Zekrom

Black 2 / White 2
White 2 because I wanted to be contrary to my previous choice...and because I liked how White Kyruem looked over Black Kyruem.

X / Y
X because all my friends got Y and I liked how Xerneas looked over Yvetal.

OR/AS
AS because, after all these years, I still liked how Kyogre looked over Groudon.

So basically if there was a red version, I always picked the other one. Oops...?

Red/Blue: Blue in English
Gold/Silver: Silver in English
Ruby/Sapphire: Sapphire in English
Fire Red/Leaf Green: Leaf Green in English
Diamond/Pearl: Pearl in English
Heart Gold/Soul Silver: Both in Japanese, Soul Silver in English
Black/White: White in Japanese, Black in English
Black 2/White 2: White 2 in Japanese, Black 2 in English
X/Y: Both in English
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: Both in English

Just to be complete for the third versions I got English Yellow, both English and Japanese Crystal, English Emerald, and both English and Japanese Platinum. Before 3DS came along with both world-wide pokemon releases and region lock for all models, I started Importing to get game early starting with Platinum. I got both Japanese HGSS because getting both got me the Arceus figure(which would not be released internationally) despite later getting an english soul silver.

Gen 1: Blue Version. Well, this one I got recently on the 3ds, and I got blue because despite being a Charizard fan, pokémon blue had some of my favorite exclusives such as Magmar and Victreebell.
Gen 2: Silver Version. This is a very simple one, I just liked Lugia more than Ho-Oh.
Gen 3: Ruby Version. This was the first pokémon game I got (not really played because I didn't knew english at all to play it) so I couldn't choose, but I am glad they chose Ruby, because Groudon is just better than Kyogre.
Leaf Green Version. Same reason as the blue version, only with Slowbro included.
Gen 4: Diamond Version. This is the first one I actually played by the way. I chose this one because I rather have a diamond than a pearl (minecraft much).
Soul Silver Version. Same reason as the gen 2 one.
Gen 5: White Version. Because Zekrom is just a complete badass, as for Reshiram...not so much (just my opinion).
Black 2 Version. Because it features an awesome pokéfusion of Kyurem with the badass Zekrom and because Kyurem Black didn't look overdesined in a bad way like Kyurem White
Gen 6: X Version. Because the legendary mascot had the new fairy typing and because of the one and only Mega Charizard X.
Omega Ruby Version. Because of again Groudon having the better design and because Pdon is just the beast in competitive.

I've basically chosen which ever box legend has the most dragon like features. In Gen 6, I chose X because Xerneas seemed so much more interesting and I really wanted to use Charizard X.

It's generally an easy choice regarding preferences towards cover Pokemon, and very rarely exclusive.

Red/Blue: Red. The Squirtle line is the one I like the least among Gen I starters.
Gold/Silver: Silver. No-brainer, even though you can still get Lugia in Gold.
Ruby/Sapphire: Long ago I'd have said Sapphire, but it eventually became a really tough choice. Why are both Groudon and Kyogre so cool?
Fire Red/Leaf Green: Leaf Green. I prefer the Bulbasaur line.
Diamond/Pearl: Diamond. Never liked Palkia, and the exclusives in Diamond are a lot better.
Heart Gold/Soul Silver: SoulSilver, just like in Gen II.
Black/White: White. Because Zekrom. And I think there were some nicer exclusives, but I can't remember.
Black 2/White 2: White 2 to keep the same line as before, even though I do prefer Black Kyurem over the White one, but unlike the prequels, neither design is bad.
X/Y: Never had the chance to play either, but I'd pick Y. Xerneas is ok, but Yveltal is Yveltal.
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: Again, no chance to play either. And again, really tough choice.

I normally pick a version based off either what my friends pick or which legendary is cooler.

Red/Blue: Blue. A few years ago my cousin gave my brother and I her copy of Pokemon Blue as a gift. I never really played it, but it actually has an event Mew on it, so that's kinda cool.
Gold/Silver: Never played
Ruby/Sapphire: Also never played
Fire Red/Leaf Green: Leaf Green. It was a Christmas present and my first Pokemon game. My brother received Fire Red.
Diamond/Pearl: By the time I got a DS Platinum had came out so both my brother and I got a copy of it, as Giratina looked cool.
Heart Gold/Soul Silver: Heart Gold. My brother got his copy of Soul Silver first, so I got Heart Gold. I liked Ho-Oh more than Lugia anyway.
Black/White: White. My brother got black, so I went with white.
B2/W2: White 2. I had already bought White, so I decided to get the sequel to it.
X/Y: I never bought a copy of either game, as I had no 3ds when it came out, but I would have gone with Y because I thought Yveltal was cooler than Xerneas
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: Omega Ruby. I was the first person I knew who was getting these, so for the first time, I had the freedom to choose whichever game I wanted! I went with Omega Ruby because Primal Groudon looked cooler than Primal Kyogre.

Red/Blue: Was definitely way too young to play these. Never played them on the original console, but I did end up playing Red later on in life just because Red seemed more familiar, in a sense.
Gold/Silver: Once again, too young to play these on their original console. Ended up picking neither though, went with Crystal.
Ruby/Sapphire: This one wasn't my choice. I played Sapphire, with it being my first pokemon game, but the story behind me getting it was some guy my sister knew gave her the game (she doesn't even play pokemon), and she let me play because I liked pokemon (because of the anime.) I actually didn't get too far though, because the guy who lent my sister the game wanted it back. After begging my dad to let me get my own Pokemon game, I picked Emerald, because my friend had it.
FireRed/LeafGreen: LeafGreen, because I like Venusaur.
Diamond/Pearl: I wanted Diamond, because I thought Dialga looked cooler, but the store i went to was out, so I got Pearl instead because I didn't want to wait for them to restock.
HeartGold/SoulSilver: HeartGold, because I just like the way the box looked.
Black/White: This is where I actually started to pick pokemon games based on version exclusives. I picked White, because I liked Zekrom more, and I wanted to use a Braviary, and Rufflet could only be found in White. Also, just as an added bonus, my name means white. :3
Black 2/White 2: White 2. It made sense to get the direct sequel to White.
X/Y: Yveltal looked cooler to me, and at first I wanted to use a Spritzee. That is, until I saw its evolution. I'm sure I'm not the point one who was hoping for creepy and cool looking plague doctor inspired evolution. Oh well. Still picked Y.
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: AS, because as I said earlier, I never did finish Sapphire, and I just like Kyogre more.

Leaf green-my cousins gave me this at a young age. Also, I wanted to be different
Diamond-I preferred the version exclusives more and I was given it.
White-I prefer Zekrom (I actually managed to get both games in the process of trying to try the game which has Zekrom)
Heart gold-gold is better than silver. As is Ho-oh to Lugia. (That guy's got issues)
X- due to previous decisions, I thought that this was going to be the better game because I originally thought Y but I thought that my decision would be a bad one so I swapped. I like Xerneas also. (If I were getting the game again, I would get Y instead)
Omega Ruby- hoenn is mainly a region in which the water side dominates a lot so I figured this would balance things out more. I also like Zangoose and Shiftry and Camerupt. I had previously rembered playing Saphire before. (I actually prefer Sharpedo to Camerupt now)

The version I pick mostly depends on the version exclusives/box legendary or what version my friends pick.
Starting with Red/Blue: I was too young to even play games when this came out, so neither. Although as I now on both versions and Yellow, I must say Blue is my favourite based on version exclusives (<3 Sandslash)
Silver/Gold/Crystal: I had no choice when choosing this one, as my brother got Silver as a present. Even though he would never let me play, I really liked the game. Once he became bored of Pokemon (it was no longer 'cool' to him.), he gave it to me together with his Gameboy. Now that I'm older (and own all of the games) I would have probably chosen Silver as well, because of Skarmory and Donphan.
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: The first game I bought myself was Emerald. As I got Silver quite late, I totally missed the release of Ruby/Sapphire and thus once I finished Silver, I bought the 'complete' version instead. I didn't base it on any version exclusives or anything, this was just the game that was available at the store. Emerald was probably the game that I invested the most time in of all Pokémon games thus far.
Firered/Leafgreen: I wanted Fire Red, but the store didn't have it anymore. So I bought LeafGreen instead. Nothing to add really.
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: The first game I started to look online for version exclusives before buying and I eventually chose Pearl (just for Misdreavus actually). I didn't own Platinum until a year ago, but playing it at friends was really cool and I wished that I had waited and bought that instead.
Heartgold/Soulsilver: Soulsilver for nostalgia reasons.
Black/White: I chose White because it had Reuniclus and Braviary. Plus Zekrom >> Reshiram.
Black2/White2: As I wanted to complete my Pokedex, I chose Black2. As a bonus, it had a 'version exclusive' shiny Gible, so I couldn't not choose it.
X/Y: I initially wanted to get X, but my friend really wanted to get it. And as we kind of had a rule to pick the opposite version, I eventually bought Y. Not that I regret it, as I really love the design of Dragalge and Spritzee.
Alpha Sapphire/OmegaRuby: As I never really played either of these (because of Emerald), I left this up to my friend. She chose Alpha Sapphire and so I bought Omega Ruby.

Note that these 'picks' are just the games that play my main game in. I always buy both/all versions, because I love collecting all the games (either Spinoff or main series). As for Sun/Moon, I have already preordered both, but I'm leaning towards Moon since I really love the design of Lunala. But we'll see how that'll change over the coming months.

Gen 1: Chose Red over blue due to Electabuzz, Scyther, and Arcanine exclusivity.

Gen 2: Chose Crystal over the other 2 due to animated Pokemon sprites.

Gen 3: Skipped RSE. Chose FR over LG due to Electabuzz, Scyther, Arcanine, and Skarmory exclusivity.

Gen 4: Chose Platinum over the other 2 games due to it being much faster in addition to Pokemon such as Magmar, Electabuzz, Duskull, and Porygon being able to be captured during the main campaign. Battle Frontier was nice too. Chose HG over SS due to more Pokemon being exclusive to HG.

Gen 5: Chose White over Black due to White forrest. Chose Black 2 over White 2 due to Heracross, Zekrom, Registeel, and Garchomp exclusivity in addition to hard mode.

Gen 6: Chose Y over X due to Mewtwo Y, Charizard Y, and Tyranitar exclusivity. Chose Omega Ruby over Alpha Sapphire due to Groudon and Ho-oh exclusivity.

Gen 7: Most likely will choose moon over sun due to Lunala exclusivity.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I always get both versions and play both before mainly focusing on one due to exclusives and such, though I usually finish the stories in both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)