OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

Thoughts on da mimez stall?
Thoughts on people spamming regular Charizard in the AG low ladder?
Thoughts on the weather nerf?
Favorite gen?

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Lol SpartanMalice snaq already has an interview :P. Now the questions:

1. What is your association with Charizard? Do you play him in SSB or something?
2. If we could have 5 OMoTMs, which ones would they be?
3. If you could approve metas which one of mines would you approve?
4. Do you like the activity on Aqua?
5. Do you like your mon in SSB:OM?
6.  What do you think of this text?
1. Seeing as I started out in gen 1, obvious that my favourite mon is from Gen 1. And when I was a kid I preferred the "badass" things over the "cute" things so there you have it, Charizard over Pika and the like. Obviously all of the starters from that era were great, but despite being not being my original pick for a starter I always like Zard. It probably has something to do with the fact that I like dragons in general.

2. Not including permanent ladders: Mix and Mega, Linked, Haxmons, Stabmons+, and either one of Accessorize/Field Plating because I ran out of eligible OMs and those two are interesting concepts. Tbf I want 6 move battling, but it's ineligible in any case.

3. I quite like the Slotmons 2.0 idea since it allows for more creative team building than the first edition, especially since the first one never gained much publicity so it could still be theoretically "updated" to raise interest. However the complexity of it hurts its chances a bit, I reckon.

4. I like it when the chat is calm and we're just having fun, yeah. I don't like the activity when it's just trolls trolling since thats just posting for the sake of posting and in some extreme cases, obnoxious.

5. I mean I do like it and while Pikachuun did boost my stats, he still hasn't updated its rank, and it was originally intended to be a mega Charizard because they look cool. While it was intended to be a Mega Zard X, what I want to see is Mega Zard X's stats with that moveset it normally runs + Mega Zard Y's sprite to get the best of both worlds and to troll people.

6. Looks ancient. Like some sort of parchment.

What is your team that you referenced?

Would you join our Mimez cult?

Who is your fav GOT character not from Dorne?
1. The second OU team I used after getting back to PS!: Tornadus-T, Keldeo, Thundurus, Clefable, Mega Metagross and the alleged Mandibuzz. It wasn't my most successful one, but I usually follow that template these days, and in some offensive OMs, I ditch the process of using two walls and just use "the random mandibuzz" which is basically one mon that doesn't adhere to HO. That being said Mandibuzz is cool and unless its unviable I kind of always find a slot on my teams for it.

2. I'm disappointed that "The greatest swordsman in Westeros" chooses to fight like Floyd Mayweather and stall out his opponents (running joke but hey it works) (lol running). I however will stay true to the one true Pokemon God, Azor Azhai Mega Rayquaza. Or Primal Groudon. It's all about perspective!

^ Those two guys. No one else has as much swag as Oberyn, The Fresh Prince of House Martell.

why dont you play stall while you look up to adrian maran?

^^
I had actually misinterpreted snaq's question - I thought he was referencing whom I "follow" but in any case it's generally the users I've known for quite a while since the Joim's Lab era or users that I talk to often these days.

Adrian's one of my best friends on this site but I must say it's a yin-yang situation where is stall there must be offense to create balance.

I had once succumbed to stall, fighting a 500 turn war which culminated with the last few turns being my Hippowdon against my opponent's Gliscor way back in Gen V. Suffice to say I'm past that now, but if it comes down to it and I must stall, I may stall, but it won't be as satisfying as a quick kill.

Do you think your life is meaningful right now?

If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?

Do you feel healthy when you answer those questions above?

Do you listen to music?

If yes, what kind of music do you listen to?

What do you think about yourself? Are you a serious type? Funny? Cheerful? Clumsy? Always Happy? Always in deep thoughts?

Are you annoyed when you answer my questions?
1. I guess it's alright. Fairly stable, but there's always a bit of emptiness lying around for everyone. It's natural. But I always like to spice up stuff a little. A man is never truly satisfied, even if he reaches the top.

2. I could do what my avatar does, sans the drinking as I'm straight edge. Then again, that is indeed most of what I do outside of college so that leads us back to your previous question, heh.

3. I don't see any difference tbh.

4. Yes.

5.Rock, Hard Rock, Thrash Metal though it's less than I used to these days, Grunge (but not Nirvana. I'm more of an Alice in Chains kinda guy, and I do like Soundgarden as well) and I still listen to a little bit of hip-hop now and then but never stuff like Lil Wayne (can't stand his voice and the fact that he has 2-3 topics to sing about all the time), more or less artists like Lupe Fiasco. < other than exceptions like this I do not listen to modern day music and I prefer staying in the 90s, 80s as far as rock is concerned when it was more pure.

Also before anyone asks I don't like Avenged Sevenfold and I don't consider nu metal to be real metal. ;) :)

5. A little bit of all of them, I guess. Deep thinking is indeed something I do often however.

6. Not really, it was fun.

Thoughts on da mimez stall?
Thoughts on people spamming regular Charizard in the AG low ladder?
Thoughts on the weather nerf?
Favorite gen?
1. Quoting imas' lame attempt at trying to recreate the BvS trailer, because it indeed sums up my thoughts:
2. They are inexperienced children that will eventually know the true might of Zard and utilize it to its true potential.

3. Weather dominated my first gen in Pokemon Showdown, and suffice to say I'm glad Rain isn't the dominant force in OU anymore. I am however sad that Smogonbird has took its place instead. Ban Bird. However, it does neuter my old Gen V Sand team which was pretty good for its time (Did nearly get me to the 2000s back then).

4. While Gen 2's stally nature might have contributed to the mimez more so than offense, it was truly a masterpiece and what I consider to be Pokemon's version of OoT/The Dark Knight/Mortal Kombat II (basically, the "Even Better Sequel" defined the series as it is now).

Do you know why Chopin Alkaninoff always asks the same questions?
Are you one of those guys that tried to fix unfixable and failed?

And now an actually serious question:
How do you think an average player can grow better and start being a good player? Which is the "path" to follow?

Spartanmalice said:
Also before anyone asks I don't like Avenged Sevenfold and I don't consider nu metal to be real metal. ;) :)
W-wow and we had so much in common! Nu Metal is most certainly metal. But as long as you like Metallica you are salvageable. And Wynaut like A7x?

SpartanMalice

Been busy all week so yeah I didn't notice the newer questions till now.

are questions yes? or are they seventeen?

Do you know why Chopin Alkaninoff always asks the same questions?
Are you one of those guys that tried to fix unfixable and failed?

And now an actually serious question:
How do you think an average player can grow better and start being a good player? Which is the "path" to follow?
I guess that's the thing.

Nah, I have the technology, I just won't fix him. How'd I be able to make fun of him if he ain't broken ?

I'm not sure if I'm the right person to ask that as I'm more of a casual player - by competitive standards anyway. But in any case, I'd point out relatively simple stuff as getting to know the meta and how your opponents think. That by itself will make you predict well and by extension, make you more likely to win battles.

We gonna watch Game of thrones together?
You know it. Where's Adrian tho :\

You've said the the OM community is among the easiest to get into on Smogon and PS! Why is this?
Frankly, I'm not sure. I'm just friendly with everyone I guess. But when I first started posting here the community was smaller and easier to get into - compared to the standard tiers it's still smaller so to be honest, it's easier for people to get into this community than others. You could argue that with many different metas around they can find a place anywhere - the AG players for instance. I also left for a year and I slotted right back into the community when I got back. So how about that? So yeah, that's why I find it a friendly community.

W-wow and we had so much in common! Nu Metal is most certainly metal. But as long as you like Metallica you are salvageable. And Wynaut like A7x?
To be, a music genre is best when left pure. I mean grunge is cool, but I don't like it when people merge hip-hop and rap elements with rock and heavy metal. It just feels... off. Added to the fact that these days I'm slowly losing interest in hip-hop as well. A7x sounded more like punk to me initially and I just never got into them. And as I stated before, I consider modern music pretty much dead. As for Metallica, of course I like them. One got me into Metal and Orion is pretty much one of the greatest instrumentals ever made and proves just how talented a bassist can be. Just from the pre-sellout era, although they've been getting back to the roots around and post Death Magnetic.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Why are you always mean to me :[[[[[[
What is your favourite ability?
What is your favourite type?
What is your favourite move?
What is your favourite movie?
What is your favourite subject?

SpartanMalice

I'll answer 'em tomorrow when I wake up, and this thread was so dead it was hard to notice it anyway o3o.

Kinda hard to nominate, especially since Hack can only come here on weekends. That being said I'll pm Snaq (learn to read infernube).

I'll answer 'em tomorrow when I wake up, and this thread was so dead it was hard to notice it anyway o3o.

Kinda hard to nominate, especially since Hack can only come here on weekends. That being said I'll pm Snaq (learn to read infernube).
I can access smogon most times of the day, it's only PS I can access on weekends only.

Reactions: Mq

SpartanMalice

Why are you always mean to me :[[[[[[
What is your favourite ability?
What is your favourite type?
What is your favourite move?
What is your favourite movie?
What is your favourite subject?
Because you're infernube, and also, refer to my response to lcass' question earlier.

Adaptability or Protean, they're the most offensive.

Fire, Fighting or Dragon - these types stand out for their badassery.

Dragon Ascent or V-create. I get the feeling I was asked this before...

Hard to say. I like a lot of things. The Godfather 2, The Empire Strikes Back, etc.

Physics.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#16 Zangooser: that random driver in the om room who kinda sucks and excels in a bad luck based metagame e_e

Hello

Hi

How did you get into Pokemon?
I'm a 16 year old from Sydney, Australia. I first got into pokemon at the age of 7 when my friend bought me Pokemon Ruby for my birthday. Ever since that I've been addicted to it. Collecting them all, becoming good at competitive battling, and becoming involved with the pokemon community. I first really became immersed in the competitive scene recently, when I discovered Pokemon Showdown through random internet searches. When I first started Showdown, I started with Balanced Hackmons which in turn lead me to the OMs room. I attempted to become involved with the community and here I am now. As for Smogon, I made an account to vote for the BH Chatter suspect, but there's not much to say about that. I tried to get a group of my friends from school involved with Showdown. After the initial "Random Battle Phase" they moved onto AG, and I just followed them there.

What makes you like Anything Goes so much?
I think it's a balance between diversity and simplicity. The ladder contains so many different strategies with a plethora of viable mons but still retains a simplistic approach of "Here's the raw game, have fun." I always disliked the concept of banning things (which actually led me to quit BH), so AG just seemed like the perfect metagame. After 3500+ games of it, I still enjoy it with a passion.

What innovation do you like in Anything Goes?
I'd like to see a change in the HO standard of every team. I feel like the other playstyles aren't recognised due to AG being seen as such a metagame full of Arceus spam. I'd like to see more BO and stall, people attempting niche playstyles like Baton Pass, Assist spam, Taunt/Encore/Disable/Swagger shenanigans, e.t.c. I seem to be putting every pokemon from the OU metagame on one of my teams at some point. I'd hope others could do the same.

Who do you think are underrated players in Anything Goes?
Feral Mutant seems to have a very diverse style of teambuilding and matches with him are always entertaining and difficult. I think he isn't really recognised due to the uniqueness of his style.
Raimon looks like a good player, with more dedication I could see him being great.
Another underrated player is InfernapeTropius11, oh wait nevermind.

What would you like to change to Anything Goes?
The only things I really want to change about AG are the community's perception and hopefully expansion to a larger player base. AG is usually seen as an uncompetitive metagame, but the high ladder of AG is actually fairly competitive and requires large amounts of dedication and skill. As for the player base, it's the third most played meta on showdown, but none of the players actually get involved with smogon related material. It's seen as a joke metagame, and as much as I don't think that will change, I'd like to show people that there is a competitive side to AG.

What do you think of the Anything Goes resources thread?
I hope people find it useful to be honest. I keep trying to improve it little by little, but there's always something extra I could do. At the moment, I'm trying to work on providing descriptions for the sample teams to aid in the usage of them. Overall, it seems nice to me. I just hope others look at it the same way.

Why do you think you got %? Do you enjoy modding the room?
Probably Activity, Timezone and helping people, idk. I assume timezone had the greatest impact on my %. As for modding the room, I'm usually alone for a few hours due to my timezone. In that time I sometimes see some weird stuff. It's an experience to say the least.

What do you think of the OM changes thread, what would you change if you could?
Zangooser: I think some of the ladders atm see too little activity to justify their actual existence on main. LC UU got 14 plays last month, whereas certain older gen metas like Gen 5 RU got a single match.
It would be nice if more popular metagames could see implementation instead. I don't know what the stats are on the playing of the OMotM and LCotMs are, but I would hope that the more popular ones could be suggested for permaladders. As for the thread, it's been full of great ideas. Let's hope they positively influence the future of OMs.

Who do you think is a promising user in the OM room?
There are a lot of promising users tbh. One I can think of off the top of my head is Rumplestiltskin. He seems like a nice person, heavily contributing to the 1v1 community.

Who do you like up to, and why?
Kanye West, Mesut Özil, imas234.

Short interview sadly, we lost a part of it. Make up for it with questions!

Last edited:
Teach me AG :D

I haven't been on PS! in a while. What is the frequency of people asking what [x] metagame is?

What would you like to see as OMoTM?

Funniest situation where you had to mute somebody?

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Who were the peoples who gave you a hard time in ag?And who motivated you in your earlier thats at ag metagame?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)