Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I can live without stuff like the Mew glitch (although it'd be amazing if it was included because in-game Mew) and Missingno etc. but imo they need to keep the Hyper Beam / critical hit / freeze / other battle mechanics. Apparently you can trade on these ports, was there any mention of battling? Imagine if we could have legit RBY battles on our 3DS's instead of having to use the simulator! (I can dream, right?)

No Z mention is pretty brutal of them, like others have said they've been teasing Zygarge stuff for soooooo long now, it doesn't really make sense to hold off this long imo. Their timeframe for announcing in general is so dumb, Hoopa has been on the official site for months are is just starting to trickle out in events around the world (no australian ones tho). This of course means that a later announcement means a later release, so I don't don't think we'll be seeing Z until summer / fall at least (july/august for my southern hemisphere friends). It might be even later, like in october/november like XY/ORAS were....

As for the rest of the direct (it that's allowed in the Z thread), I'm still pretty hyped for Pokken, new Star Fox, Mario Tennis, and that F zero X looking thing. Might have to find a cheap Wii U on eBay or something since I still don't have one

Wish I could have been on IRC when the direct was on, I bet that outcry of "WHERE'S Z!!!??" would have been fun to join in on
Well the Mystery Dungeon reaction was pretty good. :P

I mean, overall there's plenty to be excited for--Pokken, Mystery Dungeon, the myriad of other material coming, and while it's not for me, I am glad, for the sake of nostalgia (well, others' nostalgia) they did decide to rerelease the originals (as I said, that's something people have wanted for some time). It's just that we didn't get the one thing we were hoping for.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wish I could have been on IRC when the direct was on, I bet that outcry of "WHERE'S Z!!!??" would have been fun to join in on
Sure some of us were doing that but...

Really the channel went insane when FUCKING CLOUD STRIFE WAS CONFIRMED FOR SUPER SMASH BROS

Like seriously holy shit, I'm salty about the lack of Pokemon Z, but that trailer alone pretty much made this one of the most legendary Nintendo Directs in history!

No Z version, I'm salty and I wanna die. I really can't stand the way they've been handling this so far, it's just getting me more pissed off than hyped at this point.

And I'm not excited to replay RBY for the 9999999999th god damn time, especially if it's not in color. I played gen 1&2 on a gameboy color, I ain't tryna see this bullshit in black and white.

Even though they didn't directly address Z, it seems that Bill Trinen at least has some idea of what's going on by the way he said "It might not be the Pokemon game you're expecting, but...".

I could see a Z reveal coming within the next month or two.

Super happy about the RBY VC releases btw. A lot of people wanted them every time an eShop update happened and we're finally getting them. I'm really glad that they found a way to incorporate trading into the games. I'll be buying Yellow.

We also got a fairly large amount of Pokemon information from the Direct when you think about it. Pokken, Picross, RBY VC and Super Mystery Dungeon (even though that's coming out this month). They are definitely getting things ready for the 20th anniversary.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
If they allow trading and link battle, they probably don't want people to abuse those glitches.

I'm kind of disappointed on how they didn't bother to color it. Theycould have included the option to switch from back and white to color.

Last edited:
Well, that was the death knell for any hope of a Gen 1 remake for this system. Betting on Z & maybe a new Orre game.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We'll make a new thread for the re-released RBY to avoid cluttering this.

As for my favourite moment of the Direct chat, it was when Reggie (or was that some other guy?) said: "Wait, have I forgotten something?" and we all replied variants of "HELL YES YOU HAVE!".

I'm as annoyed as everybody else, but I can see why they haven't announced Z yet. If they're planning to rerelease RBY first - which is a cool, albeit underwhelming idea - it would make no sense to announce that just before or just after announcing Z, which would be getting all attention and hype. This means we're probably not getting anything for a couple of weeks at the very least :/

What months have historically been the biggest for releases? With RBY out in February, (and I can't see them getting us to play two games at once, or releasing Z before RBY) then my bets are hedged on... some month after February. As for an actual trailer, or news that the game even officially exist, couldn't tell you.

It's really turned into quite the wait. I'm not gonna complain though - I asked for this after XY and ORAS, after their postgames turned out to be less than what we had hoped for. I distinctly remember saying "I hope Game Freak takes their time with the next game! I don't mind waiting another year if it means a really fantastic experience!" Whoops! But I do wonder what could be causing the delay :o Any game being built in Kalos and with XY's engine has to be relatively easier to implement than anything else they could do. So what gives?

To be fair, I know many of us were thinking "That's a bit quick" for the turnaround between XY and ORAS. Gamefreak might just be biding their time trying to get things right because they know that we were complaining about the rushed job with ORAS (admit it, you ALL were disappointed by the Battle Resort). I rather them wait and get it right than shove it down our throats one after another. I'm sure the Zelda fans among us know by now to accept a game where the developers took their time rather than rushing it (several dungeons cut, my ass, Wind Waker).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's really turned into quite the wait. I'm not gonna complain though - I asked for this after XY and ORAS, after their postgames turned out to be less than what we had hoped for. I distinctly remember saying "I hope Game Freak takes their time with the next game! I don't mind waiting another year if it means a really fantastic experience!" Whoops! But I do wonder what could be causing the delay :o Any game being built in Kalos and with XY's engine has to be relatively easier to implement than anything else they could do. So what gives?
I also find this quite odd. Hoenn had to be built from scratch for ORAS, but it was still finished within a year of XY. If Z is anything like its predecessing third version games, the vast majority of its content will be copypasted from XY, and whatever remains definitely wouldn't take a year and a half to complete, especially considering how fast they made ORAS. Also, Game Freak is a game company after all, and they need projects to fill their time with. They have to be making games at all times, since that's what makes the company go around. It's not like they took half a year off after ORAS; rather they would probably be well underway with their next game before ORAS even hit the shelves. Even if they had started making Z the day after ORAS came out, they would have had it ready for release a long time ago. Whatever the reason is for delaying the release/reveal of Z, time constraints can't possibly be the major factor.

If I were to hazard a guess, it has something to do with Nintendo's next console, which is set to be released within a couple years from now. The 3DS does not have enough left of its life time to cram in another Pokémon generation on the console, even a short one such as Gen V. However, any new Pokémon generation on the so-called NX would still be a couple of years away today, longer than the expected shelf life of Pokémon Z. Rather than releasing Z a year after ORAS, and then having to wait two years for the next game after that, they could be delaying Z for half a year, and then have another year-and-a-half waiting period until Gen VII shows up. They're splitting the long wait in two halves instead of 1/3 and 2/3, or something like that.

The NX was intially expected to be revealed at E3 this year, but apparently hit a delay. It is possible that Z was planned to be released this fall, with the NX and new games set to be released at the end of its projected lifetime (18 months later or so). However, delays happened, and in order to make the post-Z-wait bearably short, Z had to be pushed back a few months, on relatively short notice. This makes sense in the context of the Anime, where episodes are typically finished half a year before they air. By the time the Zygarde episodes were written, everything appeared to be on track, and their airing would tie in neatly with the reveal of Z. However, delays happened, Z had to be delayed, but the episodes were already written and there was no time to make replacements. Hence the reveal of new Zygarde formes long before there was even a game for them to feature in. Now, the NX probably wasn't long delayed, so the expected post-Z-wait is still too short for a new Pokémon generation on the 3DS. Instead, they count on ORAS being solid enough to last us through the long wait for Z, and Z is made to be good enough to last us through the wait for Gen VII, however long that may be.

I didn't watch the Direct as they never match up to the hype. I don't understand why we're having to wait so long but it's probably a scheduling thing to be honest. I reckon it'll be one of those games that's released within a few months of being officially announced, so it could still be here in April/May of next year.

I'm glad we're getting ports of the originals though. I looked on Amazon for Blue.... $400. ._.
WHAT? Are you sure it wasn't $4.00? Even notoriously rare cartridges like Earthbound or Conker's Bad Fur Day don't trade for that much...

The 3DS does not have enough left of its life time to cram in another Pokémon generation on the console, even a short one such as Gen V. However, any new Pokémon generation on the so-called NX would still be a couple of years away today, longer than the expected shelf life of Pokémon Z. Rather than releasing Z a year after ORAS, and then having to wait two years for the next game after that, they could be delaying Z for half a year, and then have another year-and-a-half waiting period until Gen VII shows up.
*lightbulb*
I had this same idea! It could easily be that even *with* incredible added content that Z should still be finished, and maybe even some srs dvlopmnt on a next game, but releasing Z would leave too long a wait until *event* happens that warrants the next game's release. 'Course, that could mean that Z might have little of the polish and content that we're all hoping for, but it DOES mean that if it is meh then the next game should be pretty damn good, if only because "well then what the hell were you guys doing all that time?".

Additionally, taking into account that there are two dev teams (I'll have to find a source) and they swap releases (XY guys and BW(2) guys were different teams IIRC) implies they've had a LONG wait to work on Z, especially if there's still no foreseeable release date AND that dev work on Z happens as soon as XY dev is finished and tested (i.e. before the XY release). If the teams do iterate, it also implies the ORAS guys started work on "next game" a while ago... which leaves an awful lot of time to work on it if Z is being delayed for timing reasons. Curious!

I cant read that or anything....but is it another coliseum like game?
Pokemon Tretta! It's a japanese arcade game that has battles similar to the main series, except 3v3 and you choose Pokemon based on real-life disks that you have. They look kinda like POGs. It's been around for ages now, actually!

I didn't watch the Direct as they never match up to the hype. I don't understand why we're having to wait so long but it's probably a scheduling thing to be honest. I reckon it'll be one of those games that's released within a few months of being officially announced, so it could still be here in April/May of next year.

WHAT? Are you sure it wasn't $4.00? Even notoriously rare cartridges like Earthbound or Conker's Bad Fur Day don't trade for that much...
Oh, i'm sure. It's not officially by Amazon, it's one of the other sellers, but still. It's crazy how much it sells for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)