Project NU Teambuilding Competition [Voting Stage]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Raseri and taken over from Metaphysical.

Neverused Teambuilding Competition

Hello and welcome to the fourth edition of the Neverused Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced NU players go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Constant feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose a core of one or two Pokemon. It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! After the submission period is over (which will be after around give or take a week) I will announce the voting period, where you will get a couple of days to vote on what you think is the best team. By the end of the voting period, the votes will be tallied and team with the most votes will be pastebinned and archived in the Hall of Fame I will be posting below, and the process will start again with a new core.

Some ground rules:
  • During the Building period, simply post your team along with a description of how the team functions and an importable
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the core.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things. In fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. Basically, just don't be a jerk.
  • Use hide tags when sending your team, otherwise I will hate you.
  • I will post when you have a day left to get your teams posted.
  • Feel free to PM me any changes you have to your team up until I post them!
Okay with that said this week's 'core' is going to be...

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Archive
Old teams here

Round 10 Jumpluff + Linoone, won by Shaneghoul.

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb

Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Belly Drum
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

I decided to go with memento jumpluff + linoone as with memento linoone can get a lot of easy set up opportunities and sweep through teams. Pilo comes as a rocker that can take hits which from fast threats while being able to weaken steel types for linoone with eq. Next came garb as a t-spike aborber that could also lay down my own spikes making jumpluff harder to switch into, while also giving me a fighting resist. Next I added stallbreaker mismagius as it is one of the most reliable spin blockers in the tier + it gives me a way of beating mush. Last came scarf rotom frost as i needed a fast mon that could provide momentum and it fit the team the best.

Round 11 Ludicolo + Klinklang, won by SilverReaper21.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Shift Gear
- Substitute

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Rotom @ Spell Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

Okay so I'm pressed for time and there's not much to say for this one so I'm going to keep it short. This in my opinion is a pretty standard depiction of hyper offense semi-rain. Started off with the core of Ludicolo and Klinklang which actually have very good synergy but I noticed some glaring weaknesses I needed to rectify. From there I decided to throw on Piloswine for a poison check and rocks + priority which fits the hyper offense feel of the team. At this point I was still incredibly weak to fighting types so I decided to go with a volt-turn core of bulky Scyther and Hex Rotom. Hex Rotom and Scyther both do a great job of breaking down Klinklangs counters as well as forcing in things that Ludicolo can capitalize on such as Rhydon, Piloswine, and Lanturn. For the final slot I think that Kabutops fits perfectly. Not only does it provide hazard removal (even if it's not very reliable) it completes the semi-rain core with Ludicolo. I already have Scyther to deal with grass types to an extent so I wasn't too worried about stacking weaknesses with Kabutops. There are still some pretty glaring weaknesses I can see with this team but I'm overall happy with the end result.

Round 12 - Shiftry + Archeops, won by BrandonBeast

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Hurricane

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake / Flame Charge

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

I wanted to build around Nasty Plot Shiftry because I've been hyping that up since Shiftry's return to NU. Nasty Plot boosts Shiftry's decent Special Attack to great levels, making it a good sweeper once all it's checks and counters are gone. Giga Drain is powerful after a +2 and helps recover Life Orb recoil. Dark Pulse is standard special Dark type move, and Hurricane is here to smack Fighting types and Grass types, although the accuracy can be an issue. Archeops was added to complete the core of Tree + Chops. Chops decimates stuff, like it always does. It's also really nice with NP Tree as Shiftry enjoys Archeop's wallbreaking. Overall, TreeChops is a really nice core that I probably would've missed if it wasn't the topic this competition. :) I love Rhydon so much lol. With it's bulk it checks so much, and it sets up Rocks like a boss. I added him even though he stacked types because the way he checks Fires, Flyings, and lives almost anything is too good to miss. Also the core is a bit weak to Electrics (Although Tree wrecks Lanturn) so Rhydon fit the bill neatly. Megahorn is to check Malamar. Magmortar was added as another wallbreaker that also helps the team by slurping up Sleep Powders and hurting Grass types and Bug types. Thanks to it's wallbreaking power, it benefits NP Tree as well, and I sort of needed a realiable Steel counter, so here is Magmortar. The fourth slot is up to your opinion, I like EQ because of more coverage, while Flame Charge makes Mag very hard to revenge kill. Obligitory Fighting check is here! While I could've chosen Musharna, I personally prefer Mesprit because of her power right off the bat. Offensive CM Mesprit is my favorite Mesprit set, as it's a very good sweeper that often goes unnoticed. Even without CM Mesprit hits decently hard with it's coverage. I like EBall Mesprit as I needed another Ground check (Mostly a Rhydon check) and killing unsuspecting Quagsire is always fun. I needed hazard support, and I also needed something to take special hits, so AV Hitmonchan was a perfect fit. Hitmonchan combines hazard removal, offensive presence, and special bulk in one set, and I love it! It also checks Dark types, which my team was pretty weak to up to that point, so that's always nice. Rapid Spin is very helpful as my team is pretty weak to Stealth Rock (Well, only really Chops and Magmortar, but it's always nice to have hazards off the field). That's the team! I really like it as it's pretty effective on the ladder, especially as it uses some rather underrated sets, like offensive Calm Mind Mesprit and Nasty Plot Shiftry. I don't really see too much weaknesses except for a Water weakness if Shiftry's dead, and a bit of a Psychic weakness. (Musharna with Signal Beam mainly) I hope you enjoy the team and I also hope it wins! XD

Round 13 - Sceptile, won by Davon

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind

Sceptile
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 136 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb / Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Signal Beam
- Hydro Pump

I built this team around the thought of using SD Sceptile. I used Mega Audino's offensive set to lure things like Steelix, Weezing, and Ferroseed which SD Sceptile struggle to muscle past. Xatu is a Sceptile Check. Thunder Wave is good for slowing Pokemon down for Audino to put in more work. I chose the pivot set over the Calm Mind set because I valued momentum with U-turn more than I valued a check to Mega Audino. My Steelix checks Mega Audino anyways, as well as Musharna which has lots of setup opportunites against my team. Hariyama is my fire type check and general special type check. Lanturn is a soft fire check, volt switch user, Malamar check, and Mantine check. Mantine gets plenty of switch in opportunities against my Steelix so that's why Lanturn is cool to have with Steelix. Water Absorb is probably better than Volt absorb on this team because Steelix already absorbs electric type attacks and Lanturn is going to be switching into Scald quite a bit. I'll leave you to decide which ability you want to use because they're both good on this team.

Round 14 - Steelix + Weezing, won by Mambo

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

Steelix @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 208 HP / 216 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Defog

Sawk @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Fan @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Will-O-Wisp

Sceptile @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This team is flames. Weezing + Steelix checks a shit ton already as apparent by its selection as the core to build around, yet struggles a lot against strong Fire-type attacks (cough Pyroar cough). Mantine rounds of the defensive backbone of this team, serving as a strong answer to Pyroar, as well as providing the team with hazard removal and Tailwind support. This lends itself to the next member, Sawk, which can thrive with its Sturdy intact and a Speed boost from Tailwind. Rotom-Fan is just really good right now (some might even say flames), checking Sceptile, spreading burns, pivoting around willynilly, etc. Sceptile rounds of the squad, hitting everything in existence for good damage as well as revenging about 90% of the tier. It can also slay under Tailwind too.

Round 15 - Jynx + Hitmonchan, won by no one
Round 16 - Altaria + Piloswine, won by lolbro

Altaria @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 Hp / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Roost

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Barrier
- Stored Power
- Moonlight

Sceptile @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Steelix @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD / 8 Spe
Serious Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge

So I started off with DD outrage altaria which hits really hard, despite everyone putting it down. Set is p much standard for ddtaria, hits base 70s, yaddyadda. Eq hits lix, which is huge lol. Standard Pilo with a bit of creep, its a nice ice resist which alt appreciates. Next we have mush because the core is weak to stone edge sawk. Sceptile gets added for a switch in to water types and provides the second fastest pokemon in the tier, there rly is no reason not to use this mon lol. Steelix is put on the team to give the fourth best mon in the tier, best rocker, best norma|flying resist, best cm psychic check(that's right, fuck you skuntank), just an all around amazing mon. Hariyama is the best fire resist in the tier, provides a secondary ice resist too, also a water check

Round 17 Abomasnow, won by Oda & Warumfelix

Abomasnow (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 88 SpA / 168 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb
- Blizzard
- Swords Dance

Mantine (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 16 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Rest

Magmortar (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Focus Blast

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Scyther (M) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Tailwind

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 132 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

So I decided to build around SD aboma with Blizzard, props to Punchshroom for the set he posted, since it can dent alot of counters to SD abomasnow and you still get the benefits of hail wearing down mons and breaking sturdies/sashes. I paired him with Magmortar since they have good offensive syngergy and they wear down a common shared check (Hariyama). Plus Yama gets bopped by a +2 seed bomb which Mag appreciates. He also kills bulky waters for Mag. Next up to complete the FWG core is Chesto Rest Mantine, who provides Defog support for the first two and provides a good scald switchin, fire check and sceptile/fighting check. im trying an old Chesto rest set cause mantine gets worn down easily from Toxics from Lixs and other bulky waters. The speed on Boma/Mantine is to creep jolly don who gives this team trouble. Next up is a volt-turn core to get in Boma/Mag in to hit stuff hard. Bulky rotom is amazing in this meta, provides another fighting check, Lix check and im running dual status with twave to hit common switchins like Pyroar/Scep/mag who dont appreciate a twave. You can run pain split though if you find the extra utility isnt worth your longevity. The speed is for things creeping jolly sawk. Scarf scyther is alot better in this meta with the speed creep, completes the volt -turn core, gives us another fighting check and a malamar check. Tailwind can be a last ditch effort to allow boma/mag to clean up. Finally Im throwing on a Lix just to be a volt switch blocker, normal/psychic check and CM Mush/Audino check and rocks. Also nothing appreciates switching into Skunktank which is another plus to add Lix. Hope you like it!

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pelipper @ Charti Berry
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Steelix @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 120 Atk / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 168 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch

Scyther @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

I started off with an special Abomasnow with Earthquake + Wood Hammer to lure in things like Magmortar and Hariyama which is helpful for Specs Pyroar, the second member of my team. These two are very weak to Stealth Rocks so i decided to use Steelix + Pelipper (Charti Berry to check rock type Mons such as Rhydon) for my own Rocks, Hazard Control and a Fire-Water-Grass Core. The next member of my team is AV Hariyama, because this helps me against things like special Sceptile and Magmortar which otherwise would are huge Threads to my team. Scyther was my last choice, becasue its a second Fighting Resist, a Win-Con and it gives me a Volt-Turn-Core with Pelipper.

Round 18 - Haunter, won by poopyhead Disjunction

Haunter @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Disable

Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Synthesis

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I built with Sub Disable Haunter because it's radical. Disable takes advantage of Haunter's unique typing and 2 useful immunities by crippling Pokemon with only one way of hitting Haunter. Steelix, Malamar, Gurdurr, Choice-locked anything, Skuntank, and Combusken are a couple of names off the top of my head that get shut down by Haunter. From there I picked an effective cleaner, Combusken, to take advantage of the fact Haunter will be whittling down the opponent's team with its sub strats. I like Grass-types as partners for Combusken because they deal with Aqua Jet users and Lanturn, so I picked Vileplume who also serves as a Klinklang check, rare though it may be. Despite having no Baton Pass on Combusken, I went with Malamar as a backup win condition because I felt my team appreciated the special bulk and Malamar is pretty anti-meta. Malamar isn't a Fire resist and a Scyther check was looking nice, so I opted for Rhydon. Finally, I opted for Choice Scarf Mold Breaker Sawk to keep Weezing out and cover my speed game. Plus, it's a very useful secondary cleaner if busken looks bad in some matchups.

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
To get this thread started in the right direction, here are all of the great submissions for this round!

Team 1

Jumpluff
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 92 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake

Mantine @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Rest
- Defog

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Signal Beam
- Moonlight

The whole point of the more balanced build is using the core of hari+mag+pilo to wear down most of jumpluff main checks such as poison types. This includes EQ Hari, which lures in garbodor and subsequently gets killed by knock+EQ. The team looked rly weak to rw (cant make the joke ;-;) so i innovated a little bade and compressed the water resist and my hazard removal into pdef chesto-rest mantine. Mantine is unreliable w/o chesto, and half the time fighters click knock anyway, so the real glue of the team becomes musharna, who can somewhat help against normal and fliers along with pdef mantine and bulky pilo. The sets are pretty straightforward, standard mush, av spam core(HariMortar), mantine, pluff and bulky pilo. Overall the team is pretty solid, but archeops+tauros has to be played well around.

Team 2

The Beast (Piloswine) (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

The Bombshell (Jumpluff) (F)
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder

The Addict (Vileplume) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The Raver (Lanturn) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 204 Def / 16 SpA / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

The Butcher (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Rapid Spin

The Mutilator (Scyther) (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- Roost

When with the standard sets for Pluff and Pilo since if it ain't broke don't fix it :] I opted for Icicle crash over Spear for flinches (since Im running a bit of creep for things like Vileplume in the crowded base 50 speed tier) and more power. I also choose Jumpluff with Infiltrator over Chlrophyll due to the rareness of sun teams in order to revenge things through subs. Next I decided to go with a more balanced route for this team. Vileplume is amazing right now checking alot of the tier's physical threats while providing good resistances in Fighting, Water, Electric, and Fairy. I opted to go with Rocky Helmet to break Sawks sash and help weaken normal types and priority spam since my team only has one unreliable Normal check. It also works well with Effect spore but you can opt for Black SLudge if you find you are switching in to Normal types alot with Plume. The defensive set is standard with a bit of creep for base 50's and Hp Fire since my team was quite weak to Ferroseed at this point. I paired Lanturn with Plume since it has good synergy with the first three members and forms a defensive core with Plume, sponging Ice/Flying/Fire/Psychic attacks directed her. Pilo, Pluff and Plume hate status so Heal Bell seemed fitting. The last slot I opted for Thunder Wave to slow down fast threats but Toxic is also a good option to deal with fat walls and massive threats such as CM or Stored Power Musharna. The spread is pretty standard outpacing the not-so-common-anymore Adamant rhydon and avoiding the 2hko from specs Pyroar Hyper voice. Next I wanted a Normal Check and 2nd fire check, another Ferroseed lure and hazard support. Kabutops fit that role and I opted to go with Weak Armor in order to deal with fast Normal threats such as Archeops/Tauros/Kang. I can predict a resisted hit, get the boost and I can then proceed to bop them with either Superpower or Stone Edge. Superpower is also for ferroseed since its a nuisance to this team. I went with Jolly since Kabu's speed tier is quite crowded and it can outrun alot of base 80-90's that go for a neutral speed nature. He also gave me some more priority which is always nice. Finally I decided to patch up holes with my last member. Bulky scyther formed a volt-turn core with Lanturn to bring in Jumpluff safely and provides another fighting/ground resist. I added another win con and helped our team deal with Malamar, CM psychics and Crodino since it can boost alongside it and beat it 1 v 1. Also since I added Kabu I decided to take advantage of his hazard removal. This variant of scyther cant beat barrier CM Stored Power Musharna 1 v1 which is why Toxic on Lanturn over Twave could probably come in handy.He also gave me some more speed.

Team 3

Jumpluff
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb

Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Belly Drum
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

I decided to go with memento jumpluff + linoone as with memento linoone can get a lot of easy set up opportunities and sweep through teams. Pilo comes as a rocker that can take hits which from fast threats while being able to weaken steel types for linoone with eq. Next came garb as a t-spike aborber that could also lay down my own spikes making jumpluff harder to switch into, while also giving me a fighting resist. Next I added stallbreaker mismagius as it is one of the most reliable spin blockers in the tier + it gives me a way of beating mush. Last came scarf rotom frost as i needed a fast mon that could provide momentum and it fit the team the best.

Team 4

Jumpluff
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Fan @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Pain Split

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Defog
- Leaf Storm

So the jumpluff and pilowswine sets are just standard im not running memento on jumpluff because its my sweeper and not on my team for support. My walls are lanturn and rotom-Fan, Lanturn works well with jumpluff typing wise and also provides heal bell and thunder wave support to help jumpluff sweep and provides a blanket check to magmortor and provides pivot. Rotom-Fan gives me a good check/counter to fighting types and works well with both lanturn and pilowswine, rotom-Fan provides more status and pivot while covering fighting types like sawk and hariyama that can be a problem for pilowswine and lanturn and gives me another ground immunity. My next poke i wanted a powerful special attacking poke, so i chose Magmortor because it was a strong, versatile fire type that didn't have a fighting weakness like pyroar does. My team was very physically offensive so i needed the special attacker and magmortor helps me fit in a "Fire-Water-Grass Core", which has great coverage. My last poke is Shiftry, i chose shiftry because i needed a poke that could check psychic types and could defog because my team is weak to rocks, shiftry fits all of that while giving me another ground resist and quagsire counter and giving me priority.

The builders for this round are Shaneghoul lolbro DoubleBullShyte and Mar1onette

Voting ends on Tuesday!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
whoa slow the fuck down since when is this a thread
voting for whoever did the linoone thingy

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
voting for team three bc even though i think linoone sucks, it's the only one to use jumpluff right!

by which i mean w/ memento.

Rapture

I got so much time today
Ok Shaneghoul wins the round, congrats to him!

Here is the next core:
+

A pretty offensive core with two sweepers that have really good type synergy with each other. Ludicolo, in particular, can completely destroy most if not all of Klinklang's checks, making the two a very formidable duo. You guys know the drill by now, send me teams following the instructions in the op. You have until Sunday to do so, good luck building to all of you!

PS: Still looking for someone to make videos using the teams that win each round. PM me if you think you are up for it.

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
Today I bring you quality YouTube content from amateur youtuber lolbro who agreed to make videos for our amusement. Here he is laddering with Shaneghoul's team so be sure to leave a like! Also I'm leaving submissions open till Sunday so we get plenty of teams this round since I really enjoy this weeks core.

Today I bring you quality YouTube content from amateur youtuber lolbro who agreed to make videos for our amusement. Here he is laddering with Shaneghoul's team so be sure to leave a like! Also I'm leaving submissions open till Sunday so we get plenty of teams this round since I really enjoy this weeks core.
<3 thanks for the free ads, I'll probably have my own team in soon

Rapture

I got so much time today
Voting time has arrived!

Team 1

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Klinklang @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Fan @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Air Slash
- Pain Split

Hitmonchan (M) @ Fist Plate
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Signal Beam
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Healing Wish

So I chose Ran sweeper ludicolo because it gives ludicolo great sweeping potential and supports klingklang by weakening Fire-Type moves, Sub Shift Gear klingklang, standard ev's are to give klingklang good bulk, hit hard has possible, and speed is to outspeed base 70's without shift gear boost and to outspeed pokes like jynx and scarf haunter after shift gear boost. Lanturn as my SPD wall because it provides great support in Twave, Heal Bell, and pivot. THe EV's are to give itself great overall bulk for spd and to take EQ's better from mag and the speed ev's are to outspeed adamant rhydon. I Chose rotom-Fan as my physical wall because it pairs up greatly with lanturn, gives me more pivot, and gives me a solid fighting check/counter. The EV"s are to take physical attackers as well as possible. I'm using Hitmonchan because i wanted a solid fighting type, priority, and a spinner and chan fills in both roles greatly. The EV's are to give hitmonchan the highest damage output and to outspeed claydol, Fist Plate over LO because i wanted mach punch and drain punch to have it's highest damage output. Finally i chose mesprit because I wanted another ground immunity/resistance, a psychic resistance, and it gives great move diversity and provides Healing Wish Support. LO is for great overall damage, and the EV's are to give it the most speed for healing wish while still hitting hard with LO.

Team 2

Klinklang @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Return

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Low Kick

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Jolly Nature
- Rock Blast
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- X-Scissor

Lanturn @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Memento

Klinklang + Ludicolo is a great offensive core and I wanted to complement that with a hyper offensive team. Crustle spike stacking hasn't really been seen since XY and I wanted to try it out in the current metagame. Hazard stacking really helps the core out for weakening fat mons that this core struggles with and hazards are really great late-game when you're setting up and you need just a little damage to secure a KO. I put X-Scissor on Crustle because this team doesn't handle Malamar the best so try not to let crustle take too much damage if your opponent has a Malamar. I put Combusken on the team because it threatens out fat grass types like Vileplume and Ferroseed which this core struggles. I chose a swords dance set because if Sawk locks itself into knock off (which it most likely will because it has to in order to kill Mismagius) it can setup. Combusken can also setup on common defoggers like Shiftry and Skuntank, so they can't defog without giving Combusken a setup opportunity. This team is very weak to those pesky fast base 110 speed Pokemon, so I needed a scarfer, but I wanted one that wouldn't get pursuit trapped so easily. I chose to with Lanturn because it gave me a Kabutops/Samurott check as well as a check to those 110 speed Pokemon. Next on my list was a spin blocker. I chose Mismagius because it has MEMEnto and can give setup opportunities to my setup sweepers. Taunt prevents Defog and Willo can lower attack for more setup opportunities. Taunt also prevents Malamar from resting.

Team 3

Klinklang @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Shift Gear
- Substitute

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Rotom @ Spell Tag
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Scyther @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

Okay so I'm pressed for time and there's not much to say for this one so I'm going to keep it short. This in my opinion is a pretty standard depiction of hyper offense semi-rain. Started off with the core of Ludicolo and Klinklang which actually have very good synergy but I noticed some glaring weaknesses I needed to rectify. From there I decided to throw on Piloswine for a poison check and rocks + priority which fits the hyper offense feel of the team. At this point I was still incredibly weak to fighting types so I decided to go with a volt-turn core of bulky Scyther and Hex Rotom. Hex Rotom and Scyther both do a great job of breaking down Klinklangs counters as well as forcing in things that Ludicolo can capitalize on such as Rhydon, Piloswine, and Lanturn. For the final slot I think that Kabutops fits perfectly. Not only does it provide hazard removal (even if it's not very reliable) it completes the semi-rain core with Ludicolo. I already have Scyther to deal with grass types to an extent so I wasn't too worried about stacking weaknesses with Kabutops. There are still some pretty glaring weaknesses I can see with this team but I'm overall happy with the end result.

This week's teams are provided by SilverReaper21 Chef Rice and Mar1onette. You have until Wednesday to vote for your favorite squad.

Last edited:
i like team 3 (although i would probably run bulky rotom and CB scyther, i still think that the composition of the team is solid)

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm also voting for team 3.

It's a very well structured team that doesn't have a long list of glaring weaknesses. I could see HP Fire Lilligant being a bit of an issue to the squad, but by no means does it look like it's impossible to deal with if you keep Pilo around and rocks off the field. I'm also not a huge fan of Kabutops as the spinner, as it leaves the team quite weak to Garbodor/Toxic Spikes (two of the mons immune to tspikes struggle vs garb). Otherwise, I really love the offensive core that was implemented here. Bulky Scyther + Hex Rotom is a personal favorite of mine right now. Also a +1 because of the usage of Piloswine, which is an exceptionally cute mon rn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)