Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Hate to say it, but that's basically what I was expecting, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some dark secret interaction reason otherwise. It just seems like these days nobody ever uses Agility, I honestly thought they might have just forgotten it existed.
The reason why you haven't been seeing Agility/ Rock Polish Metagross as much is not because of the fact that it has two moves that give it +2 speed but rather because the Pokemon itself is used almost exclusively as a 4-attacks Pokemon rather than a late-game cleaner. The metagame has really adapted to Metagross, with things like M-Scizor and Tank Garchomp being prominent in the meta right now. For this reason, the extra moveslot is generally better used for a fourth attack instead of a setup move. In short, metagame trends have made M-Metagross, especially Agiligross, less viable, which is why you see it less often.

Is there an actual reason for the Metagross page to list Rock Polish, when it gets Agility as a level-up move? I know in reality they do the same thing, so it doesn't matter, but after I saw my Metang get Agility I'm honestly curious why Rock Polish was chosen? Is it just the lower PP?
I asked this question a few months ago, here's the response I got from Clone:

As the guy who wrote the analysis, I'll briefly explain why I chose rock polish > agility. I did so because rock polish is a TM move and is easier to obtain than agility in game (it requires a heart stone and going to the move relearner), and I know that a lot of people look for smog on sets to use on cartridge, so I made it as easy as possible to replicate the set.

There are no other reasons for it. Agility or Rock Polish both work fine and PP has absolutely no effect on how the set plays at all.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Metang gets Agility at level 41 in ORAS, before it even becomes Metagross. It's honestly a moot point.
It just means that it is easier to change the set back to Agiligross if you ever change it to 4 attacks or something. Basically, RP is forget-proof.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Do any high level/tour players ever use pokemon not ranked on the viablity ranking thread? If so, what pokemon and why?
they do all the time lol. Ben gay use to use a lot of nonrank stuff. This is a super vague question seeing as how you are not gonna get a real answer unless you ask the person themselves instead of outsiders just assuming things.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Do any high level/tour players ever use pokemon not ranked on the viablity ranking thread? If so, what pokemon and why?
Definitely. It is common for high level players to experiment with unranked pokemon because they can often fill a gap which nothing else can fill. There are lots of very good examples - including Stunfisk, Zoroark, Lanturn, Sigilyph, Cacturne, Quilfish etc. that a number of players like -Snow, Aim, ben gay and CTC (among others) have historically used both in tournament play and on the ladder to good success. For a while there was even an E rank to encourage players to experiment with new things. There are other Pokemon which became ranked due to their niches on archetypes which were only discovered as a result of experiments such as Wonder Trio (the experiment that started the trend of Shedinja stall on the ladder).

Why do people use the move Frustration on Pokemon like Mega Pinsir and Kanghaskan? I don't see much point in it since it's hard to get 0 Happiness and much easier to earn max Happiness. Plus, don't you earn one level of Happiness every 128 steps?

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Why do people use the move Frustration on Pokemon like Mega Pinsir and Kanghaskan? I don't see much point in it since it's hard to get 0 Happiness and much easier to earn max Happiness. Plus, don't you earn one level of Happiness every 128 steps?
It's for Ditto. All Pokemon's happiness is default 255, and when set to zero, Ditto will transform into your Pokemon and will be left with Frustration with a BP of 1.

Since most people play on Pokemon Showdown, the happiness can be set manually so that doesn't really matter. Although there's no real difference between using Return or Frustration, people like to use Frustration in case there's a Ditto, since it usually has max happiness.

Because kindness is weakness!
Plus on showdown you can set your happiness to zero forever which helps if your opponent happens to have a ditto.

Okay, thanks guys! I wasn't talking about Showdown so much as about in-game. But the whole Ditto situation is a thing I now know about.

Hey, hey!

I'm planning to soft-reset a Landorus for competitive play, but somehow I can't find a proper set for it except in Ube which leads to my question: Is Landorus too good for OU? And if yes, why?

Hey, hey!

I'm planning to soft-reset a Landorus for competitive play, but somehow I can't find a proper set for it except in Ube which leads to my question: Is Landorus too good for OU? And if yes, why?
Only Landorus-I is banned to Ubers due to being a ridiculous wallbreaker, and a versatile one at that. Landorus-Therian has the OU sets.

Landorus I was banned a few months back on the basis that it was an extremely powerful wallbreaker with no real counters (bar Mega Latias), the access to 3 movesets which were really effective against all common playstyles (RP for Offense, CM for Stall, AoA for balance), unpredictability and basically no opportunity cost. You can still use Lando-T in OU, however.

Did anyone tried to build around one of this two FWG/DFS cores?

The first one is Zard X / Azu / Ferro and the other one is M-Sceptile / Azu / Heatran.

Any ideas?

Oh, I see... Thank you very much for your replies!
That said, Landorus-T is still a very potent mon in OU, and you should definitely focus on its sets even if both were here because a Soft Reset-able Landorus can't have Sheer Force (HA), meaning it's better suited to Lando-T.

Last edited:
Ok so as of right now my OU team is this: Jolly Dnite Item: Lum Berry (4HP, 252Atk, 252Spd) Moves: DD, Outrage, EQ, ES. Timid Mega Zard Y (4HP, 252SPATK, 252Spd) Moves: Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Focus Blast, Roost or Dragon Pulse. Excadrill???? Calm Clefable Item: assualt vest, left overs Ability: Magic Gaurd252HP, 172Def, 84spDef) Moves: Steal Rocks, Moonblast, Twave, wish. My excadrill needs rapid spin, I just don't know if I should make it bulky or scarf it, but I'm leaning towards making it bulky. Also I think keldeo would make a good addition to my team if I can get one. Assuming I can't, what other 3 pokes do you all think would be good?

Ok so as of right now my OU team is this: Jolly Dnite Item: Lum Berry (4HP, 252Atk, 252Spd) Moves: DD, Outrage, EQ, ES. Timid Mega Zard Y (4HP, 252SPATK, 252Spd) Moves: Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Focus Blast, Roost or Dragon Pulse. Excadrill???? Calm Clefable Item: assualt vest, left overs Ability: Magic Gaurd252HP, 172Def, 84spDef) Moves: Steal Rocks, Moonblast, Twave, wish. My excadrill needs rapid spin, I just don't know if I should make it bulky or scarf it, but I'm leaning towards making it bulky. Also I think keldeo would make a good addition to my team if I can get one. Assuming I can't, what other 3 pokes do you all think would be good?
I recommend asking the RMT forum, as that's where teambuilding advice generally belongs. However, do ensure that you finish building the team before you post it there.

And while you're at it, read the rules for the OU and RMT forums :)

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
is there any chances of ditto being a good poke in offensive team?an why people laugh at ditto?and tells it is useless on offensive?

Isn't Pickpocket viable in Weavile? For example, if you switch in on a Knock Off, you'd lose your LO but get the opponent's item in exchange. It's situational, but seems better than Pressure, since Weavile's likely to die after 1-2 hits anyway.

Martin

is there any chances of ditto being a good poke in offensive team?an why people laugh at ditto?and tells it is useless on offensive?
Ditto is shunned because it is horrendously unreliable. It can only be as good as what it copies, and the fact it is forced to carry Choice Scarf means that it can be easily abused, while its low HP means it is highly susceptible to priority and Pursuit. You are almost always better off using a different revenge killer.
Isn't Pickpocket viable in Weavile? For example, if you switch in on a Knock Off, you'd lose your LO but get the opponent's item in exchange. It's situational, but seems better than Pressure, since Weavile's likely to die after 1-2 hits anyway.
Pressure is usually used because it is a little more consistent (i.e. you will always make them use 2 PP on every attack (which can be useful for teammates)) while Pickpocket only activates on contact moves (not Icicle Crash or Shard) and requires you to take a Knock Off /and/ not knock their item off before they knock yours off to be useful.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ditto is shunned because it is horrendously unreliable. It can only be as good as what it copies, and the fact it is forced to carry Choice Scarf means that it can be easily abused, while its low HP means it is highly susceptible to priority and Pursuit. You are almost always better off using a different revenge killer.

Pressure is usually used because it is a little more consistent (i.e. you will always make them use 2 PP on every attack (which can be useful for teammates/prevents recover stall)) while Pickpocket only activates on contact moves (not Icicle Crash or Shard) and requires you to take a Knock Off /and/ not knock their item off before they knock yours off to be useful.
Quick nitpick, but Pressure actually doesn't work on Recovery moves, only on moves that target the mon with Pressure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)