Undertale

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Undertale is a fairly recent indie rpg made by toby fox. While the gameplay is heavily inspired by bullet-hell games, the game focuses a lot on character relationships and interactions while backing up that aspect with top-notch dialogue. That being said, to win the game, nobody has to get killed. The ending can differ greatly depending on how you interact with certain characters.

It's a really fun game and it's only $10 on steam. If you haven't played undertale yet, you're going to have a bad time.

put your spoilers in hide tags thanks

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I (hoi I'm Temmie) haven't (you're meeting all my standards!) even (you're going to have a bad time) played (determination) the (you feel your sins crawling down your back) game (snowdin dance) yet (tsundereplane) and (that's a trash can) it's (megalovania) spoiled (it's a beautiful day outside) for me already, jesus christ dudes I am trying to avoid l'spoilers but there is just too much undertale meme spam, it is quite annoying

nevertheless i am quite hyped to play this game, altho it may be a few weeks before i can get around 2 it

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
My favorite thing of Undertale as an RPG is the fact that you don't need to grind levels at all. Coupled with great Mother-esque humor and characters, you can't really go wrong here.

Also consider buying the soundtrack, toby fox really put a huge effort into it, I can't express how amazing it is.

Honestly I feel like this game is best without knowing anything about it. If anyone is thinking about buying it, I suggest doing a 360 and walking out of this thread before they see anything they'll regret.

I really really loved the story, especially the extra endings (for once a game was actually worth completely replaying for the 2 main extra endings, I highly highly recommend actually playing for them rather than watching a let's play or something) but imo the soundtrack is the best part of the game. basically every boss theme + a bunch of other songs are all fantastic in terms of music for any game, let alone an indie game. the way he blends song motifs throughout different songs (for example, "Your Best Friend" and "Save the World" or "Heartache" and "ASGORE" (don't look these up if you haven't beaten the game)) is actually really great. from top to bottom the soundtrack is expertly made, and I imagine most anyone who slightly cares about music in their vidya would enjoy it.

sadly there's not much to talk about in a thread like this without spoilers, only room for memespouting and circlejerking about how much everyone enjoyed the game. and maybe talk about the patch/dlc that's please god hopefully coming someday this game should never have ended QQ

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
sadly there's not much to talk about in a thread like this without spoilers, only room for memespouting and circlejerking about how much everyone enjoyed the game. and maybe talk about the patch/dlc that's please god hopefully coming someday this game should never have ended QQ
u can still talk about spoilers, i just ask that you put them in hide tags or something. theres still a bunch of people that havent played the game yet

i like undertale

i just wish muffet had better character development... you know since she's like a major boss in the game..............................

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
wow this game is good

the fake crash when flowey absorbs all the human souls was rlly clever, i seriously was like fuckin hell now i have to kill asgore again

brightobject

there like moonlight
beat sans :) what strategies did you guys use for undyne/sans and/or hard mode?

And speaking of hard mode, do you think Toby Fox will ever be coming out with a complete hard mode? What do you think we can expect?

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

srsly guys

beat sans :) what strategies did you guys use for undyne/sans and/or hard mode?

And speaking of hard mode, do you think Toby Fox will ever be coming out with a complete hard mode? What do you think we can expect?
Suggesting that there is a "strategy" to beating Sans makes it seem like there's an easy way out of the boss fight... and if you think that, you're missing the entire point of the fight. This fight was clearly intentionally designed to kill you as many ways possible, and is basically impossible to beat using reactions alone. The game/creator clearly designed it to have you beat the fight by learning Sans' moves, and have it so that is the ONLY way you can beat the fight. Thematically this fits perfectly with what the fight is trying to accomplish; Chara wins the fight though knowing what attacks Sans will use (by abusing infinite timelines, you can essentially "see the future") and through sheer DETERMINATION. The only way you can win the fight is if you, the player, is determined enough to sit through the same fight potentially hundreds of times, as Flowey puts it, just to know what would happen.

It's why the Genocide ending is so hauntingly perfect. The game warns you, begs you, pleads with you throughout the run to stop what you're doing. Then it gives you a nearly impossible fight that only the truly determined will beat. And then it punishes you in the best way possible - temporarily deleting the world, and then tainting every future save. You knew what you were doing. You deserved it.

On a lighter note, Hard mode isn't that hard (as long as it's just the Ruins as it is now, anyway). There's enough healing items and all the save points heal, so if you just play some avoidance around monsters (almost all of them can be spared in 2 turns, if there are multiple fleeing is an option) that it's not that bad. Toriel avoids killing you, so just getting to that fight is the hard part. I'm not sure if this strategy changes if you try to kill the monsters, I did a "pacifist" hard mode run and didn't have much trouble.

Undyne is hard, almost as hard as Sans, but a lot of her attacks are reaction based as opposed to memorization based. It's just another fight that takes time to perfect.

brightobject

there like moonlight
I guess what I am wondering is more 'what did u do /feel in x part of the fight' + how you rationed your items/dealt with the menu attacks?
:o I totally agree with what you said though (although, clever me, I reset the game after I beat Sans so no tainted save file!); it's an amazing fight that realises all the limitations of scripted fights in videogames and uses them to its own advantage (which is what the whole game is about, really--taking advantage of the limitations of its medium, that is), and it's fucking great.

I personally had all L.Heroes, plus 1 Steak and the Pie. I've heard that Sea Tea might help (especially in that last segment where you're chased in a circle by gasterblasters; any thoughts on that?).
'strategy:' only continue with runs where I had at least 50 health after the first attack (I screwed up a lot), then go until the 'real battle' without using items. Save the Pie/Steak for the last move, and use Heroes liberally (try to predict when Sans would use blackout sequence attacks, which are pretty easy to avoid for me).

And is there any way at all to avoid damage when Sans slams you against the Bullet Box the last few times (really fast and really hard) on the same side of the wall? I always ended up bouncing downwards onto the bones before they even retracted)

As for Undyne, I think she's waay easier than Sans for the exact reason you listed--she's more purely skill-based than Sans, who is designed to be unfair until you learn his attack patterns. You already know Undyne's patterns from when you did your Pacifist run, and any above-averagely skilled player should be able to get past her in ~5 tries compared to Sans' ~15 (for me Sans took a lot longer than Undyne). That might just be me though?

Woah can't believe I just now found this thread.

Anyways as for my own experience, I've got to admit that this game completely blew my mind near the end with the LOVE, EXP and LVL mechanics and I'm really glad I played this game without any sort of prior knowledge about it.
Oh boy how bad I felt after killing Toriel and finding out that she just genuinely cared about the protagonist and did not have any ulterior motive to 'take care' of him/her. Flowey really got to me, my 1st playthrough was full of me just being suspicious of any and everyone. Heck, the only reason I didn't kill Papyrus was because he'd always defeat me, and if you keep losing his fight he eventually just lets you go LOL. Needless to say it took me over 10 tries to make it past Undyne ( yeah I'm keyboard slow ).

Now I'm doing a full pacifist run and I just stumbled upon this blatant homage, by Mettaton, to the Opera Scene of Final Fantasy VI which I think is pretty damn awesome!

Overall, this was legitimately one of the greatest games I've played this year.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In short, Undertale is one of the most fantastic and engaging games I've played in quite some time.

In long-form:

The whole top-down shooter style defense system is super interesting. It actually reminded me of the Mario & Luigi series, where enemy attacks act like minigames in which, if you're good at observing enemy movement patterns and have quick reaction time, you can avoid or deflect damage. In Undertale, every enemy has their own recognizable attack patterns, and though they can be tough to master, with enough skill you're always capable of avoiding damage completely.

On top of that, the game never lets the battle system become stagnant. It's always expanding upon the system by regularly adding in new mechanics, and changes them drastically during boss fights for some really enjoyable and memorable battles.

The world of the game is incredibly creative too. The characters are colorful and quirky, the environments somehow always look remarkable, and scenery tends to alternate between minimalistic and intricate pixel art. You get the impression that the entire Underground is a connected, thriving, living world through consistent character interactions and repeated environmental throwbacks to earlier points in the game, such as...
the reappearance of the Spider Bakesale in Hotland after seeing it in the Ruins, or the copy of Toriel's house once you reach New Home.
Plus, going the extra mile to explore everything in the world will always lead to interesting discoveries, including funny bits of dialogue and narration, notable side characters, and in some cases, you'll find some seemingly innocuous little details that hint at larger revelations that occur later in the game's story, such as...
the circled skeleton joke written in Toriel's diary, the television in Napstablook's house (as well as his comment about having a show he watches on it sometimes), or the unopened letters found in Alphys' lab.
Additionally, when you play through the game multiple times, you get a renewed respect for the characters because you are given the chance to see every side of their personality. In pacifist or some neutral runs, you'll see how comedic and caring and relatable they are. But once you start killing, you'll discover how they react to crisis, what they do when their lives and the lives of those they love are at risk. You get to see these characters at their most kind and their most desperate. I haven't had a game make me enjoy its characters quite as much as Undertale did in a long time.

Now, in response to brightobject 's post:
I understand that Sans is designed to be unfair and force the player to struggle tremendously, but good lord, I don't think players were supposed to struggle quite as much as I did. Fighting Sans took somewhere around a combined 10 hours for me, over the course of three days of attempting and giving up after constantly dying. I must have gone through at least 100-some iterations of this fight, inching the tiniest bit farther every few attempts.

I had already used the Pie during Undyne's fight, so all I had were seven Legendary Heroes and the Steak. After I had sunk so many unsuccessful hours into the battle, I looked up some advice and found out that heading back to Waterfall to get a Sea Tea would help. And it actually does help; tremendously at that. I used it after entering the "Real Battle" portion and had a much easier time dodging his lasers and blue attacks, and especially his final attack, during which I could more reliably navigate through the bones during that long sideways free-fall.

That said, what truly kept me determined to keep fighting this guy well past the point at which I lost my sanity was his KICKASS FUCKING THEME SONG

Finally got around to playing this (over and over again) and I've got to say this is undoubtedly my favourite game of the year. The way it subverts RPG tropes and makes a deep and artistic story while still providing an extremley engaging and fun gameplay is masterful. The ost is glorious though most songs a really short (Bonetrousle is my jam). Also the characters though simple are probably some of the best I've seen in awhile. Sans is probably one of my favourite characters in gaming. It has a bunch of weird little earthbound-esque details such as the backstory behind the christmas tree that add charm throughout. I tend to have a pet hate of artsy games as they can come off as pretentious or lacking but this one is perfect. It deserves all the 10/10 reviews its getting.

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
omg, soundcloud remixes are hella baller

https://soundcloud.com/skythereptilefox/toby-radiation-fox-megalovania-skyfoxx-remix-1
An extremely dope megalovania

https://soundcloud.com/albatrosssoup/undertale-symphony-of-bones
Upbeat Bonetrousle! Symphonic and shit

https://soundcloud.com/swelljob/sins
chill megalovania

https://soundcloud.com/mise000/ghosties-undertale
napstablook is on another LEVEL

and of course the obligatory temix
https://soundcloud.com/lerusebirdalt/temmie-go-to-frat-parti-full
hOI!!!

https://soundcloud.com/archdiggle/hotland-funk
make a dragon wanna retire man
fuck soundcloud not embedding on xenforo

Last edited:
I just bought Undertale. I accidentally killed Toriel. I feel bad, but I won't reset because it must of been DESTINY!
So far it's been better than I thought, wasn't all that interested at first until the amount of hype finally got to me and I bought the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)