Official Smogon Fantasy Football Thread - 2015-16 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been hard for me to find a decent league with FAAB in any sport, I don't understand why more league managers don't embrace it

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe next year we'll bring back the "Alternative" league here with all the less common settings so people can have a change of pace. Auction draft, FAAB for waivers, perhaps 2 QB or other interesting roster changes or scoring changes.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Does the regular waiver system have a way to edit waiver priority such that you don't use it and only make a claim if nobody else did on a player? I don't believe so, though correct me if I'm wrong because I'd really like to know!, because that's the biggest thing I would like if we moved our league here to FAAB: eliminating the first-come, first-served nature of freee agency pickups immediately after waivers are processed Wed morning. And I say this as someone who's regularly up around 4-6am when they're usually pushed through.

Nobody wants to lose their high waiver priority on weekly TE or DEF streaming most people do, or random nobody bye-week filler. But it sucks if you were eyeing a certain FA player to plug in for the week and got "sniped" by someone who happened to be up at 6am while you're still in bed, because trying to "reserve" them by placing a waiver claim will waste your waiver priority. FAAB lets you do that by placing $0 bids, so if the player would otherwise become a free agent you get them automatically instead of leaving room for the snipe. It also saves you from having to check in on the league again until setting your lineup on Thursday (if you have Thu players). It's more fair for people with less time available (or the wrong times).

Despite the similarities, I don't necessarily think FAAB is synonymous with auction drafting. It might weird out less savvy fantasy players, the ones who don't even know what the hell auction drafting is because they'll be all like "what is this $$$ thing."

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As far as I know there isn't the functionality within the standard waiver system to place those types of claims, so FAAB would be the only way to make it possible. I think FAAB is a little easier to introduce to more casual players than auction drafting, so we'll probably do that first.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Damn, even Jay Ajayi is owned in League C? Both Bolden and White? Blue and Polk? Tre Mason? All the Detroit, Washington, Tennessee, Giants RBs?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I was thinking a few weeks ago what it would be like to run punters in fantasy. Points for number of punts, total punt yardage? Bonuses for punts over X yards (gross or net?), inside the 20/10/5?

Last edited:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I was thinking a few weeks ago what it would be like to run punters in fantasy. Points for number of punts, total punt yardage? Bonuses for punts over X yards (gross or net?), inside the 20/10/5?
I kind of like this idea. Top fantasy punters would be guys on crap offenses like the 49ers and Browns. I'm happy to try this next season!

i've had pierre garcon on my bench the entire season. the entire season the guy has been good for about 10 points, week in week out (ppr). the one week i start him, the fucking redskins put up 47 points and this guy gets me THREE POINTS. i'm done

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
And said team they were playing put up 52 not too long ago, with their Top 2 fantasy RB putting up a big fat... not terribly impressive performance. (I mean, 12 points ain't bad but the Saints are a much better offense than Washington and Ingram is a much better RB than Garcon a WR...) Garcon is probably done as a consistent value play though with both DeSean Jackson and Jordan Reed finally back in the mix, but still yeah a shocker of a dud.

Top waiver claim this week: Bye week QB facing the Saints D. Prob still put up more than Peyton...
I kind of like this idea. Top fantasy punters would be guys on crap offenses like the 49ers and Browns. I'm happy to try this next season!
You'd likely have to roll your own site or otherwise manually run shit, though, since I doubt any known fantasy football website even has punters draftable and optional scoring settings for them.

yeah, and i have Eifert too. hindsight and all that.

my .ppr league team is really only missing a solid WR1 to be unstoppable. trying to see if the guy who owns Antonio will part with him for anything (he's expressed interest in Gronk), but after that the only true target i see is Amari Cooper. is offering Jeremy Hill + Jordan Matthews or Maclin fair? would i have to do Marshall + Hill?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
yeah, and i have Eifert too. hindsight and all that.

my .ppr league team is really only missing a solid WR1 to be unstoppable. trying to see if the guy who owns Antonio will part with him for anything (he's expressed interest in Gronk), but after that the only true target i see is Amari Cooper. is offering Jeremy Hill + Jordan Matthews or Maclin fair? would i have to do Marshall + Hill?
If he wants Gronk, give him Gronk. Eifert can be your TE and you can probably package Gronk with Matthews (who sucks and is so fired from my other league team) for Brown.

If he wants Gronk, give him Gronk. Eifert can be your TE and you can probably package Gronk with Matthews (who sucks and is so fired from my other league team) for Brown.
yeah i would have traded him Gronk stright up in a heartbeat, but he just lost Edelman so isn't feeling as solid at WR, so i just asked him if he was interested in Matthews or Maclin.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Must've been a bad week for everyone, highest score in League A was 112 by a team starting Cecil Shorts III and Ryan Mathews :x

lost edelman for the season, OBJ and martavis bryant are on a bye. so this week, in a must-win matchup to assure i stay in the playoffs, my starting receivers are pierre garcon and john brown. should be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)