The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
man i sort of feel like i am not enjoying opm anime as much as i should, mostly bc i've been keeping up with the manga since its inception ~.~ am still hyped to see how much better it gets though! :)

a lot of OPM's gags are on the predictable side, they might work a bit better in the manga where you're reading things faster. That doesn't stop me from enjoying it though, I'm kind of liking the whole surreal world that's been created where monsters appear just because someone had too much crab for lunch or whatever and cities getting utterly wrecked is a regular occurrence and heroes have goofy nicknames like "license-less rider" or "speed o' sound sonic" and whatnot. The animation is pretty top-notch too.

finished all the jintai specials today.

tfw watashi isnt real ;_;

why live if watashi isnt real?
I've contemplated trying to read the novels but it just wouldn't be the same without Mai Nakahara talking, she did pretty much a perfect job

folks, how does your personal rating system for anime work? i'm asking because i actually have no idea what i'm going to end up giving one punch man

personally i've realized that i tend to value personal enjoyment above basically everything else - for example, gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun is my favorite show and i have no problem mentally ranking it above something like madoka or the tatami galaxy even though i recognize that the latter two are... "better shows"?

i'm not even sure what i'm asking here, somebody else take over

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I want epic fights and good aesthetic

and of course characters I can root for

nice sound is good too

I don't really care how sentimental it is, unless it's super well-written most of the emotional stuff behind anime characters' is pretty junk anyway

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yuri [✔]

no yuri [ ]

but on the real, probably aesthetics because im a sucker for cool art direction. i also really just like relaxing shows instead of a lot of action, though 2 of my top 5 favourite series are really action-ey (champloo, klk). oh yeah, and music is also p important, which is how i managed to get through melodrama in april : )

RODAN

Banned deucer.
folks, how does your personal rating system for anime work? i'm asking because i actually have no idea what i'm going to end up giving one punch man

personally i've realized that i tend to value personal enjoyment above basically everything else - for example, gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun is my favorite show and i have no problem mentally ranking it above something like madoka or the tatami galaxy even though i recognize that the latter two are... "better shows"?

i'm not even sure what i'm asking here, somebody else take over
its usually shows that appeal to me personally, or make me think about myself and reflect personally.

another thing i rate on is aesthetic value, if a show is absolutely gorgeous and has a kickass soundtrack i will generally bump it up a few numbers even if its not great plot/character wise.

the final way i rate is pure enjoyment, i gave inferno cop a 10 because it appealed to my sense of humour. so generally my rating system is pretty fluid and it tends for me to skew higher.

when i rate something low its due to how much it kept my interest, if a show is bad but entertaining ill generally rate it higher than a show that is "good" but boring as fuck.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I have several ways to rate shows I watch. Usually my straightforward approach is content. For example, some people I know personally rate Death Note or Log Horizon at a high level. Although I will agree with them for the most part that the shows had good content, they were lacking in one way or another in story development/structure or character development that detracted my opinion of them. That's why I rate Death Note at 7, due to it's strong first dozen episodes yet lacking finality and solid character development towards the conclusion (and with Log Horizon, I finished the first season, but felt season 2 was lacking when I began to watch it, which is why it's still on hold).

In terms of shows like comedies, you look at something like Date a Live versus something like Daily Lives of High School Boys, the lines are a lot easier to read. One show kills comedy tropes and looks bad, while another cleverly uses them and is hilarious. I don't think I need to explain which one is better unless you haven't seen either, in which case I will highly suggest the latter.

I tend to disregard animation quality for the most part, due to my prevalent obsession with content, and so shows that have huge differences in animation like Tatami Galaxy and Mawaru Penguindrum sit at the top of my charts. Although I will admit, animation does play a key role in aesthetic enjoyment and it's one of the reasons why I love Little Witch Academia and Kyousougiga.

I think one of the other heaviest hitters that sways my opinion is soundtrack. I tend to find that if I enjoyed the show, I am more apt to download the soundtrack/op/ed, than if I hadn't. I drive a lot in my car, due to the fact that I live about a half-hour to an hour away from any place that is relevant to me, and so my iPod is packed with over 4k songs, the majority of which is made up of soundtrack from games, anime, and movies. Good soundtracks elicit strong emotions and memories that may be attached to certain segments in a medium. In anime this is huge, as shows like Gurren Lagann or A Certain Magical Index or even Clannad are able to attract audiences through emotion alone, thanks to the power of music.

In any event, when I first started recording anime I watched on MAL, I was very generous, but I quickly became aware of what was good stuff and what was not really good stuff as I watched more and more shows.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd say i rate everything way higher than it should be, since I rate based on my own personal enjoyment. If a show was barely good enough for me to stick around and watch it then it usually gets a 7, things I drop tend to get a 6 or lower, whearas things that I thought were personally good but couldve been done better get an 8. 10s for me are things that I can just obsess over, that I might end up dreaming about, or wondering throughout my day what is going to happen, etc. Usually they have pretty epic soundtracks and or art style to go along with them, which is hwy the 10s on my list are things like Durarara, Gurren Lagann, Samurai Champloo, and FMA:B. Everything else tho is generally an 8-9, but I rate things really high.

I tend to not really value music unless the art style itself is pretty good and the plot is enough to catch my attention (for example even tho Angel Beats has a pretty cool soundtrack, I couldn't pay attention to the plot enough bar the last 2 episodes to give a shit about it, so it felt like a waste of time for me to watch, but it wasn't enough to make me just drop it, thus it got a 7 from me. On the other hand, Project K is kinda a Durarara knock off but I thought it was super interesting to see, had some good animation, an excellent soundtrack imo, and a pretty cool plot imo, thus earning an 8).

Some anime simply hold some nostalgic value for me tho, which is why some stuff might be rated higher than they should be. I thought Death Note was pretty fucking cool when I watched it, since it was one of the first ones I saw, and even though I absolutely disliked the latter half of the show it still garnered a 9 for me. Similarly I gave SAO an 8 even tho the latter half of that isn't great and its actually really shitty from a plot line point, but it has tons of nostalgic value that I actually liked (basically once I got more into watching shit I realized that stuff I previously liked was "good" but not as good as what I was curently watching).

IDK just rate it how you feel about it imo, For reference I think I plan to give OPM about a 9

brightobject

there like moonlight
this guy is underrated, speaks good japanese and is a really good singer (and kazoo player, surprise surprise)

(not japanese but he did a great cover of opm's OP too)

Also, I've been meaning to watch more of Gatchaman CROWDS. I must say its ideas are pretty intriguing (power-ranger-eque heroes fighting in a world dominated by social media and technology), but its slightly off-putting characters and incosistent art style are a bit diificult to get used to (the aesthetic has its moments of pure genius, but also its times of awkwardness and bleh-ness). I'll be back with more later on this

brightobject

there like moonlight
i just had a really cool idea for a shounen attack

the fighter brings in his energy and thousands upon thousands of horizontally angled arms rise from the shadows, blotting out the sky. The fighter then directs them all towards the heroes at once -- the ultimate attack -- a wall of unavoidable blows to the chest-- the infinite clothesline nurikabe!

i know it sounds silly but just imagine it, in my head it looks really really cool

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So i started watching k-on. Can someone tell me who the best girl is and why its Mio-chan

RODAN

Banned deucer.
all of them are worth watching except yurikuma, best shows on there imo are Jojo and kekkai sensen (and digimon if you are a digimon fan)

best shows of 2015 go

-Shirobako
-Food Wars
-Hibike Euphonium
-Prison School
-Non Non Biyori Season 2
-One Punch Man
-Owarimonogatari

Honorable-ish mentions:
-Jojo Egypt
-Death Parade
-Your Lie in April
-Kekkai Sensen
-Gakkou Gurashi
-Fate Stay Night
-Noragami Aragoto

tho now I'm reminded that Ushio and Tora existed... wonder how that panned out

is it list-making time?

S Rank: Reserved for anime that are almost flawless. These anime are usually able to do a variety of things effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Watching them has low risk involved and almost always brings a high reward. Anime in this rank have very few flaws that are more than made up for by numerous positive traits.
- Shirobako

A Rank: Reserved for anime that are fantastic. These anime have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits.
- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
- One Punch Man
- Shokugeki no Soma

B Rank: Reserved for anime that are quite good. These anime have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they are perceived by general audiences. They are all still excellent in many regards, but they have numerous flaws that are detrimental to their ranking.
- Prison School
- Hibike! Euphonium
- Ore Monogatari!!
- Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season

C Rank: Reserved for anime that have niche communities, but have numerous notable flaws that prevent them from being effective the majority of the time. Anime from this rank tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly watched anime.
- Gakkou Gurashi
- MonMusu
- Parasyte
- Rokka no Yuusha
- Shimoneta

D Rank: Please kill me
- Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season
- Tokyo Ghoul √A

Shaft Rank: Reserved for anime that I'm not sure I genuinely like or am trying really hard to like to fit in with the cool kids (leaning toward the former, though)
- Owarimonogatari

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)