Media Videogame thread

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
can someone find me more earthbound-esque written games

basically: story-driven, really unique games (idrc about gameplay, as long as its not terribad)

and yes i know about undertale
underta-

to the moon

hotel dusk: room 253 (sequel: lost window: secret of cape west)

any p&c adventure game

not exactly story-driven but bioshock has the best atmosphere i've ever seen in a video game. gameplay is pretty good, but bioshock 2 has better gameplay too so if u play 1 and like it definitely play 2.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
i'm colossally disappointed by fallout 4

fite me about it
Whats wrong with it? I'm about 11 hours in and haven't found anything too bad about it yet. Convo options are kinda lame, but otherwise its not bad. I've seen on the reddit people complaining about the convo options and occasional bugs (hell, I've encountered two fairly minor ones atm). Enjoying just wandering around and discovering things atm.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nintendo Direct is out and holy mother of god tons of new stuffs

twilight princess hd
zelda wii u
big splatoon update
huge free dlc for triforce heroes
pokemon picross!!! (looks like its gonna be ptw tho :/)

new wii u bundle with ssb AND splatoon o-o
ff explorers ??
fire emblem fates bundle/version exclusive stuff (new third version!?)
virt console, pokemon rby!
proj x zone 2
other things but i didnt really find the nindie stuff all that interesting to be honest

Nintendo Direct is out and holy mother of god tons of new stuffs

twilight princess hd
zelda wii u
big splatoon update
huge free dlc for triforce heroes
pokemon picross!!! (looks like its gonna be ptw tho :/)

new wii u bundle with ssb AND splatoon o-o
ff explorers ??
fire emblem fates bundle/version exclusive stuff (new third version!?)
virt console, pokemon rby!
proj x zone 2
other things but i didnt really find the nindie stuff all that interesting to be honest
Don't forget Star Fox. c:
I definitely didn't think for a second that it was an announcement of No Man's Sky for the Wii u.

I wonder how those system-breaking glitch Pokemon will work in Virtual Console. Even though they said they were staying as true to the originals as possible, I still think they might have to fix some of that stuff.

Also, they announced that Pikmin 4 was almost complete two months ago and still didn't have anything to show at the Direct? Talk about a letdown.

Kinda disappointed at Fates as well, Sonic Adventure 2 gave you three stories similar to this one but without requiring a second purchase. At least it's half price unlike other paired versions.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The only game-breaking bug I know of is the Link Battle desync glitch, which is super easy to trigger by using Counter or Psywave.

Crystal_, are there any other crash-causing bugs that may get fixed? The list on Bulbapedia is huge and CTRL + F isn't helping.

Why would they rewrite or fix anything? It's just like playing a GB game in another GB emulator that happen's to be inside the 3DS isn't it?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I have been consumed by Fallout 4 ;_;

I've already got like 48 hours of play time and have only done a handful of story related missions... I just keep wandering around the Wasteland and then going "oh my god look over there" etc... Then getting distracted and wandering off where I was heading too.

Man, been playing MMBN3 Blue, and I'm annoyed at how hard it is to get the 5th star. More specifically, that you need White version to get the 5th star (All Megachips) because of version-exclusive Navis. Yes, I do want to maim Bass Omega, preferably without a Flashman/Plantman folder lol.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
if you were worried that Fire Emblem Fates might not be basically a dating sim, don't worry, the official promotional material for buying the box set is an art book.

still buying it

I played Fates in Japanese, and as hard as I avoided that stuff it was definitely still there. (Conquest was pretty good, Birthright was boringly easy, and both had kinda mediocre plots).

Speaking of disappointing SRPG sequels, Sega's making a new Valkyria game (that isn't even an srpg actually). The PS4 remake of the original isn't even that exciting considering the Steam version can probably match the PS4's performance and has the potential for rebalance mods.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Bought Xenoblade Chronicle for the 3DS today for my plane ride to England and grabbed NES Remix 2 on a whim. I heard XC was good and am going in largely blind (I say largely because I read a spoiler on TV Tropes, but it lacked good context to really spoil it and I can't remember the fine details anyway) while I have no idea how good NES Remix is.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I played Fates in Japanese, and as hard as I avoided that stuff it was definitely still there. (Conquest was pretty good, Birthright was boringly easy, and both had kinda mediocre plots).

Speaking of disappointing SRPG sequels, Sega's making a new Valkyria game (that isn't even an srpg actually). The PS4 remake of the original isn't even that exciting considering the Steam version can probably match the PS4's performance and has the potential for rebalance mods.
Was Revelations not available in Japanese? Seems like a major selling point of the game IMO. (assuming it's even harder than Conquest, which I'm going to hope it is).

also, was there a lot more of the animated content than in FE:A? cuz the animation was really crisp so i hope it becomes common.

The, uh, extra-legal methods I was using meant anything downloaded from the eshop wasn't an option. From what I've heard the third route is between the other two in terms of difficulty/strategic depth, but it has this weird issue where half the characters are almost unusable without grinding because they show up with the same base level/stats they had in conquest/birthright, but they join 5~10 chapters later.

The animations looked good, but I don't remember there being too many more than what we caught in the trailers plus the endgame ones. It really felt like the plots of conquest/birthright were afterthoughts to making revelations the 'true' game or whatever.

if you were worried that Fire Emblem Fates might not be basically a dating sim, don't worry, the official promotional material for buying the box set is an art book.

still buying it
tbh having an artbook as the bonus doesn't say a lot but I'm not expecting it to not be waifu emblem 2

I'll uh, append this to my post then.

Legend of Heroes, Trails in the Sky is an awesome heartful detailed little JRPG which isn't little at all actually, it is chock full of dialogue and it's a damn trilogy to boot. But really, really solid, and a huge find for JRPG fans.

Because it has so much dialogue, it took a long time for them to localize the second part in the trilogy but it finally came out on steam yesterday. You all should play the first and then the second.
Just finished Second Chapter and enjoyed it a good deal. Would recommend to anyone looking for a solid old-school RPG and it also has the neat strength of being in an established series of games that all take place in the same world and general time period, and XSeed seems fairly committed to bringing the rest of the series over.

so i'm finally getting around to dark souls for the first time, it's really fucking hard
just chiming in with an update, it's been a little over a month since I started playing every now and then. i've logged about 38 hours so far on my first character and just beat Artorias yesterday - hell of a fun boss fight. all that's left to do is the rest of the DLC and then Gywn.

now the question is whether dark souls 2 is worth it or if i should just wait for dark souls 3

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
just chiming in with an update, it's been a little over a month since I started playing every now and then. i've logged about 38 hours so far on my first character and just beat Artorias yesterday - hell of a fun boss fight. all that's left to do is the rest of the DLC and then Gywn.

now the question is whether dark souls 2 is worth it or if i should just wait for dark souls 3
if you liked dark souls 1 there is no reason you wouldn't like dark souls 2. it's a bit of a downgrade but it's still pretty good and 2014's GOTY.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
if you liked dark souls 1 there is no reason you wouldn't like dark souls 2. it's a bit of a downgrade but it's still pretty good and 2014's GOTY.
Freedom Planet
Shovel Knight
Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
4/5 of Walking Dead Season 2
PT

Jebus McAzn
I think there's a LOT of reasons someone who liked Dark Souls 1 wouldn't like 2, but you probably wouldn't hate it the first time, or at least you'll like the DLC. Have you played Bloodborne? That's where it's at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)