CAP 21 CAP 21 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for being a bit late to the party, guys!

Basically, it's a fossil Pokemon - a velociraptor with skin made of rock. Cracks in its skin allow the noxious gases within its body to seep out and escape. Some of the gas crystallizes around the fissures, forming the purple (and highly toxic) crystals that dot its rocky hide.

What do you guys think so far? Does it look, well, Pokemon-ish enough? I feel it might be a tad complex at the moment. Also, I know about the distinct-outline rule; this is just a quick concept sketch, and the final submission, if I do make one, will definitely stick to the rules. Thanks all!

Final Submission

keywords: egg, egg, rotten egg, deviled egg, Fabergé egg, salted egg, Humpty Dumpty, sulfur, calcium? is that a mineral

Reeggnerator fits. Magic Guard fits. Egg.
Some of the feedback concerned the typing so I made the texture on the shell granite-like and/or crystalline, which I hope I successfully pulled off.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Had to darken the gem outlines to follow the distinct-outline rule, and made the third eye of the main head more visible.

Last WIP before final post

BASE

MEGA

Info: So last time I forgot to mention that the mask on the base form is based on a skull and cross which is a symbol for toxic poison. So anyway lets talk about the mega! The fact that is has more than one mask it because I decided to base it off of Raavan a villain from indian mythology the design for the two extra masks was based on a nuclear symbol but modified to have staches. The body has become more rock like and the spikes have crumbled away but that does not make them any less dangerous because there are now Torbernite crystals growing on them. And since the speed increases I gave it Torbernite hooves :P. Just so I don't forget I thickened the lines and changed the colour scheme.

Comments:

first off Golurkyourself I really love the concept of your submission eggs? who would think of that genius! Plus you managed to pull it off so friggin well -(")-.

Now for FriesforNapkins I really think that your submission is very cute but I would not wanna hug it
(ya know because of poison rox) and the mega is very clever :')

Ok now Chomz what can i say? maybe you could edit the head and probably add something to the tail and I might sound a little silly for saying this but to me the main colour for the body looks a little bland but that is probably just me. But over all its looking sooo sooo good!!!

And now for the slappin Slapperfish i love how the gems on that thing look and an added bonus is that you gave it some cool looking dreadlocks /"\

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Illegal - Final Submission

Base:

Mega:

pro.

MOD EDIT: Don't use attachments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for being a bit late to the party, guys!

Basically, it's a fossil Pokemon - a velociraptor with skin made of rock. Cracks in its skin allow the noxious gases within its body to seep out and escape. Some of the gas crystallizes around the fissures, forming the purple (and highly toxic) crystals that dot its rocky hide.

What do you guys think so far? Does it look, well, Pokemon-ish enough? I feel it might be a tad complex at the moment. Also, I know about the distinct-outline rule; this is just a quick concept sketch, and the final submission, if I do make one, will definitely stick to the rules. Thanks all!
Chomz, I LOVE your idea. It's easily my favorite so far, and hope you stick with it enough to make it to the art polls.

A couple of things I thought of looking at your submission. First, I feel like the crystals sticking out on its neck and body make it look a little busy. What if, instead, it just had a spine of the crystals, like a stegosaurus? Second, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the gashes on its body releasing gases. Very clever way to tie in the Poison-typing! Third, I feel like (even with the poison-crystals) that it doesn't really give off the vibe of a Rock-type, other than the fact that most dinosaur Pokemon ARE Rock-type. Maybe its pale face can be made to look mask-like, consisting of rocks?

Again, great submission, and I can't wait to see where you take your work, and what the Mega-evolution will look like!

So this is an idea i got by basically searching through things for awhile, and i may be late to add to the party but i thought i'd try out some things. The design is based off of Cone Shell Snail which poison their pray to weaken them, then devour them, its obviously not gonna look exactly like the cone shell itself but i liked the idea and went all Pokemon with it

Base form:
conesnail.png

Mega form:
mconesnail.png

Basically did the base form then expanded on the design with the mega could use some thoughts on them before i completely finish.

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENT

The secondary ability poll has been posted, and it will take, at most, 2 days to complete (if it goes to a second poll). We'd like to give artists at least 24 hours to make any tweaks or adjustments to their designs, as a result of the selected secondary ability, if artists so choose. With that in mind...

The Final Submission deadline for art will be Friday, November 20th at 12:00 noon US central time

We may push the deadline later, if there are delays in the secondary ability polling. But the deadline will NOT be any earlier than the date above. So, if you make a legal submission by the time above, you will not miss your opportunity to be on the art slate.

Please make sure to follow ALL the rules posted in the OP for final submissions, as they will be strictly enforced. Thanks to all the artists that have posted all the wonderful designs so far!

Final Submission

Damn, can't believe it took me so long to post mine, I was planning on being first to post the final submission but oh well. As I have said, and I will say it again, this is a snail, which has a rock and a gem as a shell. The way the base and mega formes differentiate is kinda liki how Diancie, which has a big gem with some rock or soil on it, mega evolves into a forme with a very clean and dirtless gem/s on it. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Final Submission

Base:

Mega:

Upon mega evolving, this guy gets a rounded, less ogreish jaw, changes its stance, and gets a full crystalline crown for a dominating, kingly look. Its stone body becomes encased in an armour of solid red crystals, giving it the ability Magic Guard.

Supporting art for the mega!
The Claw - Its hand becomes less of a needle, and more scissor-like. Its joint to the arm lets it bend and contort to attack at any angle. (The bottom "claw" is a mis-label, I meant that's its arm.)
The Stinger - Two angles of the tail stinger.
Flavour/Behaviour - I had some extra time, so here are some notes on what it does as a Pokemon. Could also be used to help make its dex entries.

Doing this colourblind made me cry. For real. I want to thank all the colour-visioned people for their critique on the mega's colours.

Last edited:

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Base

Mega

A shy poisonous slime living in a stone pot. When it mega evolves it overcomes it's shyness and gains enough confidence to exit the pot.

Last edited:
Ugghhhhh, cutting this super close...

Made a few modifications based on the comments and feedback - thanks everybody! Any other ideas on how I can improve the designs before I tidy them up and make a final submission?

Base form:

Mega:

Edit: made a few edits based on SlickHippo99's comments. Particularly liked the point about how the stubby heads detracted from the feeling of speed and ferocity; thanks so much!

Last edited:
Ugghhhhh, cutting this super close...

Made a few modifications based on the comments and feedback - thanks everybody! Any other ideas on how I can improve the designs before I tidy them up and make a final submission?

Base form:

Mega:
This is msotly personal preference, but I feel like the eyes make it look a little sleepy, especially on the mega. Changing them to be more open I think will give it a more aggressive design, which seems to be what you're going for. A kind of snake-styled eye with the slit pupil might be cool to add to the poison aspect of the mon. The purple around the mega's eye also looks kind of like eye shadow, which is fine I guess, but I think it might look better in the brown like on the base form (maybe it won't though, or opening the eye will fix that, idk). I also feel like the mega's head could benefit from being a little more angular or elongated (slightly) to add to the impression that it's fast since the current round, stubby-ish face kind of detracts from its apparent speed and aggressiveness. Since it's based on a raptor, a hooked toe talon might be cool, but it's not really necessary, only if you want to. Obviously this stuff is all opinion from a non-artist, so take it as you will. Really cool design overall though nice work!

Okay....
WIP
(This is probably my last WIP post, the the FINAL submission)
So I had been working on a Submission on Page 2, but had it only drawn. Now I have the Mega, and updated version of it, as of drawn on a computer. There are still some changes I will make to the mega, like the tail stone will be more pointed. I will make a computer-drawn version of the base form soon.
http://imgur.com/54l5je4
The design fits a lot with the concept. Lizards are sometimes poisonous, and live in rocks. Regenerator fits because some lizards and skinks and stuff regrow tails after injury. Magic guard fits because of lots of crystals and stuff, and finally the speed of both forms fits because lizards are fast. My design is loosely based off of a gecko.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Looks like I arrived late cause I'm stupid and dumb.
Base Form

Mega Evolution

I got some frogs! Poison Dart Frogs to be exact, they often have bright colors to show they are poisonous and get predators away from them. They frogs themselves are also based off potions (main form) and cauldrons (mega evo). Helping with the bright color theme the poisonous potion/ooze is lime green helping to show off it's poison type, with some of the markings resembling drip marks and stains. The rock type comes from the fact that cauldrons and witch pots are usually made of a hard rocky material, but I also chose black and purple to represent obsidian. The potion and witch aspect also ties together it's abilities.

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENT

The secondary ability poll closed earlier today, but the art submission deadline will be extended for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that some artists are still working hard to get their submissions ready.

The Final Submission deadline for art will be Saturday, November 21st at 12:00 noon US central time

Please make sure to follow ALL the rules posted in the OP for final submissions, as they will be strictly enforced.

Final Submission

Eh won't have time to change anything so i'll just post what I got..

Simplified spiky rock, thorny devil/gila monster hybrid with poisonous spikes.

Base:

Mega:

FINAL SUBMISSIONS
:P No time for making a computer-drawn version of the base form, so I'll just go for the best drawn version. And I guess Mega will have to stay with a tail that isn't diamond shaped. But ah well. Sorry their so big, I am short on time today and no time to resize.
Base Form:

http://imgur.com/deFcn83
Mega Evoultion:

http://imgur.com/54l5je4

Mod Edit: Please resize, please re-read the art rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Ssensenh

deerfish
is an Artist Alumnus
So I finished my normal form. (Finally.) :D:D

Please tell me if there's anything illegal about this. ;w;
-
I just finished sketching my mevo aahhhh I hope I can submit in time xD;;;

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I am a yo-yo nerd, so I always thought it'd be cool to have a Yo-Yo Pokemon! Rock-typing lends itself to a limitless supply of yo-yos, while Poison-typing gives it long tendrils of strings, hands, and legs. It gathers rocks inside of its gelatinous goop to create new yo-yos. Click here to see how it uses its yo-yos to fire rocks (to be a Mold Breaker), slosh poison, and HEAD SMASH. I tried to adhere to the stats with a lithe design that has lots of mobility and is quite frail. However, its mental capabilities and squishy body protect it from special attacks. Yo-yos bounce back, and my design can Regenerate health back when it flees in a similar fashion.

One thing to note is how necessary animation is to this design. A lot of Gen 6 Pokemon rely on the aesthetic power of 3D models to work. My design would ideally be throwing its yo-yo while the bubbles swish inside of its jelly, which would be a great way to show off modeling capabilities.

I'll do my best to crank out a mega evolution before today is over! Did it. Mega Yo-Yo Mon gets four yo-yos for added power, whereas its enlarged cranium allows for greater mental fortitude. Its liquid turns darker due to its enhanced abilities to Magic Guard itself. Click here to see it!

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Seeing the lack of response to my previous post, I decided to make a completely new design that I like a whole lot more.

Base:

Mega:

Supporting art:
front and side views of head
alternate color palette

It's a mercury tiger. Its armor is cinnabar, the mineral from which mercury is commonly extracted. Mercury and cinnabar are both extremely toxic so I thought they would be good as a basis for this design. Despite actually being really poisonous, mercury was historically believed to have healing and mystical properties in various cultures, so the theme fits both Regenerator and Magic Guard; it also fits with the high base HP and Special Defense. Tigers are very fast and powerful animals so the high base Speed and Attack also make sense. There's also a subtle pun with the Speed since mercury is also known as quicksilver. Mold Breaker doesn't really have any specific criteria in terms of design, though I'd say the design fits well; the mercury is literally breaking out of the cinnabar mold.

Best of luck to the other artists!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)