Not open for further replies.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission
MAIN DESIGN

BASE:

MEGA:

This is my CAP20 entry, based on the mythical Cockatrice.

SUPPORTING MATERIAL
The Cockatrice is known in myths as a poisonous creature which features a snake/dragon body with the head of a rooster. It is known for its ability to kill people by a glare; or in modern media, it is also interpreted to turn people into stone/petrify in a single gaze or by its poisonous breath.

The design looks like an overgrown chicken with lizard-like elements here and there. Two imposing feathers on its head give it the impression of bigger glaring eyes, which supports its source material's "death-inducing stare". I went with a dull warm gray-ish color scheme for the body as a nod to cockatrice's petrification abilities and as a nod to Rock-type, while the purple and yellow are for contrast and to give a Poison-type vibe.
Mons with Regenerator: Alomomola, Amoonguss, Audino, Corsola, Duosion, Foongus, Ho-Oh, Mienfoo, Mienshao, Reuniclus, Slowbro, Slowking, Slowpoke, Solosis, Tangela, Tangrowth, Tornadus-Therian
Apart from the Mienshao line which dabbles on kung fu and chi flow/body strengthening, and the Phoenix-inspired Ho-oh/Torn-T, Regenerator mons tend to have bulky designs. The cockatrice having dragon/snake/lizardlike properties means it has some degree of tenacity as well so I guess that works for Regen.
Mons with Mold Breaker: Ampharos-Mega, Axew, Basculin, Cranidos, Drilbur, Druddigon, Excadrill, Fraxure, Gyarados-Mega, Hawlucha, Haxorus, Pancham, Pangoro, Pinsir, Rampardos, Sawk, Throh
Surprisingly, Mold Breaker is quite a gray area in terms of design indications. You might notice that the majority of the mons are gruff-looking, intimidating and/or physically inclined, but then Mega Ampharos exists. That being said, Mold Breaker definitely has no issues with my design, especially when lined up along with mons like Druddigon, Haxorus, and Rampardos.
Mons with Magic Guard: Abra, Alakazam, Clefable, Clefairy, Cleffa, Duosion, Kadabra, Reuniclus, Sigilyph, Solosis
These pokemon are all either fairy- or psychic-type, so I thought giving the Mega design a bit of a mystical look would give it enough indication. The design's faux-eye feathers play a major part in this, giving it a peacock-like appearance. The lizard tail/back scales also fork into two snakelike protrusions.

Thankfully, the stat spread of 106/105/65/75/85/104 (Base) > 106/135/75/85/125/114 (Mega) is quite workable with this design as well. Its fat, burly appearance reflects its high HP, Atk and SpDef stats. The only questionable stat, Speed, is supported by its sturdy bird legs, which is more evident on the mega where the running legs get longer and more defined.

Supporting Art

(1) Base Form WIP, (2) Mega Form WIP, (3) Proposed Relative Size, (4) Mega Sequence, (5) Attacks

CLOSING REMARKS
Whew, I know this is a little too close on the deadline, and I'm to blame for procrastinating and playing Pokemon Y which I got like a month ago. Nevertheless I'm glad I still got to finish this design lol. Thanks for all the feedback posted here and on Pokemon Showdown who helped me with my color schemes. :)

P.S. Falchion I tried what you suggested (on this image), but it looked kinda derpy for my taste, sorry haha. That's why I proceeded with the current neck length. I don't mind if it has resemblances to Cawmodore tho, since it has features that set it apart as well.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Final Submission
BASE FORM

Mega Evolution

Edited bubbles so it will fit better, original still fits, but I kinda like the idea of over flowing. Forgot to mention in my last post that not only are they based off bottles and rocky cauldrons, but the base form is also supposed to look like a wizard had as well. Supporting art can be found here for attacks mega process and here Red and Blue styled artwork.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So my design is based on Quetzalcoatl, a serpent diety worshipped by the Aztecs and Mayans, and is well-known for being depicted in statues and stone carvings of Mesoamerican temples. Here's my take on Quetzalcoatl for CAP 21:

Base Forme

Mega Evolution

The inspiration for this came from the classic statue representations of Quetzalcoatl. Here are some thumbnail links to some pics of what I am referring to:

(click the thumbnails for the full picture)

The Base Forme is intended to evoke the idea of Quetzalcoatl embedded in a temple wall, which is why the serpent body is meant to look very structural. The Mega Evolution is where the serpent diety emerges from the temple as a full-on guardian badass. So it's bigger and more lithe, with magic runes to ward off evil spirits. That's the basic thinking anyway.

I think the design hits the key aspects of CAP 21:

Serpent statue come to life = Rock/Poison
Quetzalcoatl is the manifestation of death and rebirth (just like the Phoenix) = Regenerator
Temple guardian and rune-like symbolism = Magic Guard

I may post some more sketches and backstory with my final sub, if I have time. Hope you like it!

Last edited:

Ssensenh

deerfish
is an Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Base:

Mega:

>The mouth is completely flat and isn't visible from the side. It is placed slightly inside of the head, like a can lid. When the mouth is closed, there is a little hole for the tongue to slide out of. (Because opening ones mouth to lick stuff is too much work tbh.) This applies to both the mega and base.

-click for larger image-

>Their goo is translucent.
It's literally a snake with a scorpion stinger made of rocks and poison--a rock/poison type. With such a long neck and tail, its head-smashing and tail-whipping are quite powerful; I mean, think of that acceleration! :P Also, its gem-like eyes, tongue, and stinger help its special attacks and give it some magical guarding ayyyeee.

Final Submission

Base form:

Mega form:

Thank you so much for the feedback and advice, everyone! I really hope you guys like how this design turned out. :)

Quick concept recap: this speedy little guy's a fossil Pokemon - a velociraptor with skin made of rock. Cracks in its skin allow the noxious gases within its body to seep out and escape. Some of the gas crystallizes around the fissures, forming the purple (and highly toxic) crystals that dot its rocky hide.

In its mega form, the raptor's body heat increases dramatically as a result of its heightened metabolism, causing the crystals along its back to melt and fuse into sheets of super sharp, extra lethal poison-glass. That DOES kind of make sense, ja? :D

Final Submission

Base:

Mega:

Concept: So this guy is based on the sphinx (both the stone monument, and the poisonous mythological creature). Part lion, part woman, part snake - all poisonous rocky goodness. Thought process for the abilities is that since it's mystical, and has a sort of poison armor in Mega, Magic Guard works, and since it has a dual head system going on in base, one head can fight while the other heals for Regenerator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Submission

Base

Mega

So basically i tied the two formes together a bit more :P
some info both formes are based on the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasteracantha_cancriformis
and the masks on the mega are based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravana and that is why they have mustaches the two smaller heads are modified nuclear symbols.
Ok now for how the abilitys fit: Regenerater fits becase of the glowing ITS regenerating
And magic guard cus of the masks:|
I can imagen that this thing would be 4ft and the mega would be 5ft
they are fast becase spiders are fast and strong for there size and these ones are very BIG

base using a multi hit move http://imgur.com/YNTSupz
Mega using swords dance http://imgur.com/O7Tq0aI

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Base Forme

Mega Evolution

I am a yo-yo nerd, so I always thought it'd be cool to have a Yo-Yo Pokemon! Rock-typing lends itself to a limitless supply of yo-yos, while Poison-typing gives it long tendrils of strings, hands, and legs. It gathers rocks inside of its gelatinous goop to create new yo-yos. Click here to see how it uses its yo-yos to fire rocks (to be a Mold Breaker), slosh poison, and HEAD SMASH. I tried to adhere to the stats with a lithe design that has lots of mobility and is quite frail. However, its mental capabilities and squishy body protect it from special attacks. Yo-yos bounce back, and my design can Regenerate health back when it flees in a similar fashion.

One thing to note is how necessary animation is to this design. A lot of Gen 6 Pokemon rely on the aesthetic power of 3D models to work. My design would ideally be throwing its yo-yo while the bubbles swish inside of its jelly, which would be a great way to show off modeling capabilities.

Mega Yo-Yo Mon gets four yo-yos for added power, whereas its enlarged cranium allows for greater mental fortitude. Its liquid turns darker due to its enhanced abilities to Magic Guard itself.
Best of luck to all artists! This was a ton of work, doing mega evolutions. Y'all are so talented :')

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, I haven't given any comments so far in this thread, so I might as well single out a few designs now. Note that my comments will inherently revolve around my personal taste, but I'll try to add in some helpful critiques too... We'll see how that goes though.

Otter Power: Yours base is just flat out awesome. I love the different planes of the rocks that you have shown on the the base, as it reads as a really rough, textured surface. However, many of these planes on the rocky parts of the mega are lost, which make them read... not at much like rocks. Your mega's torso has the gray lines to portray the planes on a translucent crystal, and I think that works well. However, your mega's legs lack the defined planes that your base has, which creates a feeling as if the rocks somehow got smoothed out... At a visual level, I think adding the roughness back to the legs would unify the base and the mega together even more. Also, regarding the claws... I think I actually preferred the single jabbing, lance-like protrusions from the base compared to the pincers of the mega. Your mega's pincers seem almost too small or not menacing enough compared to those of many other Pokemon... Because of the high attack stat, I think focusing on the pincers or tweaking them back into the lance-like protrusions seen in the base might be smarter... We've talked on PS, and I know I'm just very very picky... but overall I feel your mega is lacking some of the things that makes your base so incredibly successful, and I think some of the things I've said here are an attempt at me trying to pin them down. It looks great whether you change anything or not at this point, just a few more suggestions ^^

a deer: I love your rendering and the poses that you chose. Some people might say that they'd like a more dynamic pose from the mega than the base (and your leaping base is arguably more dynamic) but I think both of your poses are quite successful. I wish I had more too say, but I don't think I really do... Porcupines are coolio.

Yilx: PrettyPot.

Ssensenh: I almost feel like I want to see more changes out of your mega compared to the base... you have a few small spikes added, and I question if that's enough. However, people interpret "how much change" is needed for a mega in a plethora of different ways, so it's ultimately your call. I do find it odd how the base looks larger than the mega, though this is probably just a result of your choice with the poses, and your base's pose utilizes the space of the canvas better I think.

Birkal: Nice concept. Normally I avoid human-esque designs, but I think the playful nature of yo-yos lends itself well here... My primary concern is that your "gelatinous goop" reads more as water, since it is very much blue/indigo on my screen. It's certainly something very tricky to balance... My crazy suggestion of the day would be to find some rocks and make some jello with the rocks inside... and see how the transparencies and reflections work out... If only there was enough time in the day to do so, though...

Magistrum: So much gray... perhaps too little of contrast since you're sing so many neutralized colors... We've talked on PS and stuff though.

DougJustDoug: I totally and thoroughly love the concept. However, I feel that the "substance" of your design doesn't read as being rocky since your coloring involves incredibly smooth gradients. When I first saw your design, it looked much more wooden than rock-like.

Edit for Doug: I just want to reiterate that it's NOT your colors that I think detract from the mon's rockiness. Rather, it is your texture; your mon is colored with smooth gradients and has no texture, unlike the rocks you used for your inspiration.

Chomz: Just wanted to say that I'm really glad you put outlines around your vaporous elements, as now your design finally looks legal ^^ (I think, I haven't checked your file sizes though, but I'm assuming you have already).

Last edited:
Magistrum: I appreciate that you took my suggestion into account, or at least tried to, but I can also understand why you went with the original form because yeah, it does look a little off with the long neck as well. I also suggested making the beak bigger and hooked like a hawk or a dodo bird, but 1) I don't know if that would throw off the design as well and 2) there isn't any time to test it out. This design is fantastic as it is, though, and the demonstrations of its battle capabilities are hilarious. Good luck~!

DougJustDoug: I agree with HeaLnDeaL regarding the color scheme to some extent, but other than that, I see no problems with this design - and I really love this one as well. I can see the feathery "frill" unfolding before it attacks like the Dilophosaurus from JP (or my own entry, for that matter).

Chomz: Haven't had time to comment on this one sooner, but this is an awesome design, and I do feel like that glass does help justify the Magic Guard ability. The one thing I feel it's missing is the killing claw on the second toe, but again, it's probably too late to change that now. I hope this one goes far in the polls!

Birkal: Is it just me, or did I totally see a pun there with "Yo-Yo Mon"? XD Anyway, this is a really quirky and creative idea, and I like how you demonstrated its attacks earlier. It does kinda remind me of Stratagem mixed with Reuniclus, though, at least in theory. One detail I'd have suggested if there was time was to make the bubbles look more like, well, bubbles in a liquid, to help distinguish it from a cellular organism. Other than that, though, it's a fun concept and a brilliant execution.

Don't have time to comment on anyone else's designs, so I'll just say this right now: Your entries are all awesome. All of them. Best of luck to all of you in the voting process!

Final Submision

this is the base form. its initial design is based on a poisonous mud frog.

its mega form is just some exaggerating and modifications. I figured since the fakemon had to have mold breaker and is a physical attacker with loads of hp it would look OK if i made him bulky. nothing else to say, this is my first Cap so you will be seeing more in the future. I have yet to go digital so my coloring skills are horrible lol. good luck to everyone.[/B]

Last edited:
Final Submission

Main Design

Mega Evolution

4 minutes. That's a new record for me.

This was based on natural bitumen seeps, a.k.a. tar pits, and the preserved animal bones they contain. The base form is basically a caveman (or muk with legs...), but it can rearrange itself into a more bestial shape.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

MAIN DESIGN

Base Forme

Mega Evolution

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

Inspiration and Influences
My design is based on Quetzalcoatl, a serpent deity worshipped by the Aztecs and Mayans, and is well-known for being depicted in statues and stone carvings of Mesoamerican temples. Those classic statue representations of Quetzalcoatl were my key inspiration for everything in my design, particularly the distinctive blocky head shape and large bulky interleaved teeth. Here are some thumbnail links to some pics of what I am referring to:

It was hard to work in the signature head feathers of Quetzalcoatl, because the classic stoneworks make them look very much like leaves. I really didn't want to get into any "it looks like a grass type" criticisms, so I changed them a bit. The pattern on the feathers is meant to keep with the tribal look, and the purple coloring is a nod to the cliche coloring cue for almost all poison types. Since this is obviously a SNAKE, I really don't think overt poison clues are necessary. But, I wanted a rich color to offset all the brown and beige, and purple fit the bill.

The color scheme of the main body is intended to have the feel of sandstone and clay rocks commonly associated with tribal stone temples. This picture shows a real life example of what I was going for with the rocky colors:

Explanation
The Base Forme is intended to evoke the idea of Quetzalcoatl embedded in a temple wall, which is why the serpent body is meant to look very structural. The Mega Evolution is where the serpent deity emerges from the temple as a full-on guardian badass. So it's bigger and more lithe, with magic runes to ward off evil spirits. That's the basic thinking anyway.

I think the design hits the key aspects of CAP 21:

Serpent statue come to life = Rock/Poison
Quetzalcoatl is the manifestation of death and rebirth (just like the Phoenix) = Regenerator
Temple guardian and rune-like symbolism = Magic Guard

One note about the symbols on the Mega Evolution -- those are not Asian writing or anything like that. The symbols are actually Mesoamerican rune symbols for Quetzalcoatl. Quetzalcoatl is a "feathered serpent" and the symbol is a coiled snake with feathers. I wanted a magical rune for the design anyway, and when I came across that symbol, it was just perfect!

Design Progression
Here are animated gifs that show the progression of each design as I made them:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)