Gen 2 PS Development - Post bugs here

I guess I'll formalize my findings here for those who don't frequent Old Gens. In short: there are no broken GSC learnsets, just broken orderings thereof. In fact, there's a whole classification of wrongly validated learnsets that should be invalid.

About a month ago I found out that this GSC learnsets issue (which I believe occurred around the same time Tradebacks was implemented) has an easy, but annoying client-side fix and started reporting my findings to anyone who mentioned the issue in Old Gens. I was foolishly trying to fix it alone but team-validator.js was unexpectedly very complicated to me. Anyway:

1) The GSC Ladderer's fix:
All wrongly invalidated movesets in Gen 2 can be fixed by moving any "2E" (a Generation 2 Egg Move) or "2S" (known by a Gen 2 Eventmon) Gen-2-introduced move below any moves that the Pokemon could possibly have learned in Gen 1. To be safe, just put Charizard's Belly Drum, Cloyster's Rapid Spin, Umbreon's Charm, etc, in the fourth slot.

I confirm that this learnset annoyance
  • does not exist for any move that was both learnable in Gen1 and also learnable through an Gen 2 Event Pokemon ("2S") like Eevee's Tackle. This exception is what led me to find the second problem.
  • does exist for moves learnable in Gen 1 that aren't "2S", like Eevee's Sand-Attack.
  • does not exist for "2E" or "2S" moves that existed in Gen 1. For instance: Venusaur's Skull Bash ("2E") can be placed above Vine Whip, but AncientPower ("2S") can not. Growth ("2S") can be placed above Sand-Attack on Espeon, but Charm ("2E") cannot.
  • does not exist for any Pokemon(including all of their pre-evolutions) that did not exist until Gen 2.

Side note: all "2E" move combinations that would have to have been learned from different fathers, most famously Double-Edge + Belly Drum on Clefable, are presently being rejected as they are intended to be.

------

2) Hasty Validation:
It seems that all "2E" (egg) moves are compatible with all "2S" (Gen 2 event) moves. For instance all Eeveelutions can learn both Charm and Growth, although I was unable to find the reason for it in /gen2/learnsets.js.
  • -Quagsire, should not be able to learn Belly Drum (Gen 2 "2E") + Ancient Power (Gen 2 "2S"), but does.
  • -Venusaur can learn Ancient Power (Gen 2 "2S") and Petal Dance/Mega Drain/Skull Bash (Gen 1 "2E").
  • -Fearow can learn Sonic Boom (Gen 1 "2S") and Tri Attack (Gen 1 "2E").
Thus proving that this problem is independent of what Gen the moves themselves were introduced in.

Last edited:
okay to summarize so it's all in one place. these things have been mentioned before on the previous page but ifm and I did some testing for convenience. Joim save us please

- weather doesn't work, as lavos said
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-99539

- screens don't roll over, as wreckdra said
how it should work: http://puu.sh/lePPN/23fde4f67a.txt
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-99542

- slower paralyzed pokes are speed tieing with faster paralyzed pokes, as beds said and marty acknowledged that it was b/c they're all at 1 speed
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-99546
(my lax didn't have protect)

there are also a few gsc-exclusive items that are missing (e.g. berserk gene, miracleberry) from the teambuilder.

last, and most significantly, there are still loads of moveset incompatibilities.

please let us be able to play gsc on ps this spl!

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Hahaha, apparently weather was never even included in the first Gen 2 damage formula from over two years ago! Fixed next update!
there are also a few gsc-exclusive items that are missing (e.g. berserk gene, miracleberry) from the teambuilder.
Until we get a client that supports past gens, you can type these items in the Import/Export and they will work fine in battle (but Gen 2 Berries will be automatically renamed to their newer counterparts IIRC).

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Until we get a client that supports past gens, you can type these items in the Import/Export and they will work fine in battle (but Gen 2 Berries will be automatically renamed to their newer counterparts IIRC).
Indeed. And lol @ weather, it was supposed to be there :/

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Is it possible to change the weather turn counter in gens where it isn't possible to extend the duration? Such as "Rain (4 or 7 turns)" (or 3-6, 2-5, 1-4) to "Rain (4 turns)" (3, 2, 1). No actual game impact, just for clarity's sake, especially for new players.

thanks for all your work guys, I've played my last few gsc tour games on ps and it's worked great. the only issue that remains I think are the moveset incompabilities, and they are kinda big. things like dnite having earthquake, drumzard missing half its moveset and a lot more. this is the last issue though as far as I'm aware, so please iron it out so we can finally be rid of needing po for spl once and for all. thanks again!

thanks for all your work guys, I've played my last few gsc tour games on ps and it's worked great. the only issue that remains I think are the moveset incompabilities, and they are kinda big. things like dnite having earthquake, drumzard missing half its moveset and a lot more. this is the last issue though as far as I'm aware, so please iron it out so we can finally be rid of needing po for spl once and for all. thanks again!
Upon doing research with Marty these seem like problems with the user interface over everything else. All these moves are correctly listed in the database including the "Gotta Catch 'Em All Event Pokemon" in addition if you click Validate! next to team builder it allows things like Zap Cannon Blastoise, which says its illegal in the User Interface but really isnt. Of course this is something Joim can hopefully work on, but I don't think it will matter for playing in SPL. If you click Dragonite with Earthquake and hit Validate! it does say illegal.

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Upon doing research with Marty these seem like problems with the user interface over everything else. All these moves are correctly listed in the database including the "Gotta Catch 'Em All Event Pokemon" in addition if you click Validate! next to team builder it allows things like Zap Cannon Blastoise, which says its illegal in the User Interface but really isnt. Of course this is something Joim can hopefully work on, but I don't think it will matter for playing in SPL. If you click Dragonite with Earthquake and hit Validate! it does say illegal.
It isn't only Dragonite, everything is listed correctly here but egg moves + some TMs are incompatible according to PS

Marty

Always more to find
Research Leader
It isn't only Dragonite, everything is listed correctly here but egg moves + some TMs are incompatible according to PS
If you look at the first post on this page you'll see that swapping Belly Drum and Rock Slide will allow that set to pass. It's obviously not ideal but it's a workaround for now (putting egg moves below Gen 1 TMs).

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
If you look at the first post on this page you'll see that swapping Belly Drum and Rock Slide will allow that set to pass. It's obviously not ideal but it's a workaround for now (putting egg moves below Gen 1 TMs).
Oh thank I didnt see that post, I'll try to change my mania to set the status moves first lol

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In this match, Shuckle reaches +6 Defense. I don't know whether or not that's a display error, but I'm pretty sure that even without stat experience, Shuckle hits max defense (999) well before +6.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't know if this is just a bug for GSC, or if it's just a display bug, but Nidoking shows up as having base 102 attack in the teambuilder. He should only have base 92 attack.

BUG REPORT:

In PS, when playing gen 2, you can select mint berry / miracle berry in the team builder, but when you validate the team or try to battle anyone the program says "your team was rejected for the following reason: "miracle berry / mint berry is not real item". You can't use lum berry or chest berry because the program rejects your team saying it is not a gen 2 item.

In conclusion, you can't use miracle berry / mint berry in gen 2 OU. Please fix.

Thanks in advance

Please Zarel fix Gen 2 Hidden Power, no matter the amount of Server Reboots your GitHub hotfix has not kicked in yet. I don't know if it's because it's not loaded or however that works, but as of now Pokémon Showdown Gen 2 users are pretty stranded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)