Raikou

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

los tigres​

[OVERVIEW]

Raikou offers very little over other, more usable Electric-types in Doubles OU such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Zapdos; it doesn't have the nifty typing of Rotom-W, can't parallel both the offensive and supportive potential of Thundurus, and lacks access to Tailwind unlike Zapdos. Raikou's only real niche in the metagame is its neat combination of typing, Speed, and bulk; sporting a high base 115 Speed, enough to outrun a major chunk of the metagame, along with solid HP and Special Defense, Raikou makes for a serviceable Electric-type pick that, unlike Zapdos and Thundurus, doesn't have the Ice- and Rock-type weaknesses that their Flying typing brings and has the Speed that Rotom-W and bulky Thundurus cannot boast having. Raikou is also one of the only three relevant Electric-types in the metagame that actually resist Electric-type attacks, the other two being Rotom-H and Raichu, with Raikou having the best combination of Speed and bulk; the typing lets it function as a decent check to opposing Electric-types such as Thundurus and Zapdos. In addition, Raikou also has access to nifty support moves in Snarl and Thunder Wave, the former being useful for weakening the blows of opposing special attackers and the latter letting it provide speed control support to teammates.

Still, its Defense is paltry, which leaves it easily whittled down by common physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Diancie, and its lack of an immunity to Ground, unlike other Electric-types in the metagame, leaves it prone to getting taken down by an Earthquake from the very common Landorus-T.

[SET]
name: Nice Access (Fast Support)
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Snarl
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Protect
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 24 SpA / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt gives Raikou an option to deal consistent damage and hits Flying- and Water-types such as Talonflame and Politoed hard. Snarl lets Raikou support its teammates by weakening special attacks, letting them take on opposing special attackers more easily. Thunder Wave lets Raikou provide speed control by paralyzing foes, allowing teammates to outrun foes they normally wouldn't be able to. Protect shields Raikou from damage while also letting it stall out field conditions and allowing it to safely stay in on the field while a partner takes out a threat.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP provides Raikou with as much bulk as possible, and 232 Speed EVs with a Timid nature let it outrun a significant portion of the metagame, getting the jump on Thundurus and Mega Lucario. The spare EVs are invested into Special Attack in order to provide a slight raise to power. Sitrus Berry provides Raikou with burst recovery, giving it a boost to longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Raikou should only be picked for a team when its combination of high Speed, bulk, and lack of weakness to Rock and Ice is desired, as otherwise it's outclassed by other Electric-types such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Zapdos. Raikou has an atypical high Speed for a supporting Pokemon, letting it perform well the double duty of providing usual support and getting clean hits on faster threats in the metagame such as Keldeo and Mega Diancie. Raikou functions well as a bulky switch-in that covers for its frailer teammates; in particular, it works well against opposing Flying- and Electric-types such as Talonflame and Thundurus, as it can switch on their STAB moves moves with ease while also being able to deal significant damage back. Against opposing special attackers, it can be a good idea for Raikou to use Snarl in order to weaken their blows, making them easier to manage for its team; it has to be cautious when the opponent has a Bisharp, though, as it can punish Snarl by taking advantage of the Special Attack drop with Defiant. As needed, Raikou should use Thunder Wave against faster foes to slow them down for teammates to take advantage of and KO later in the match.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that appreciate Talonflame being dealt with make for good partners; specifically, Grass- and Fighting-types such as Venusaur, Keldeo, and Blaziken all work more freely once Talonflame is taken out. Teammates that can take out Grass-, Dragon-, and Ground-types, threats that wall Raikou, make for good partners as well; Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Heatran can take out opposing Grass-types, Fairies such as Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon can easily dispatch Dragons, and Water-types such as Keldeo and Suicune as well as Kyurem-B can easily deal with Landorus-T. Support through Intimidate or burns from the likes of Gyarados, Landorus-T, and Gengar are is appreciated as well in order to back up Raikou's lack of physical bulk. Wide Guard support from Pokemon such as Aegislash can be useful for blocking Earthquake as well as other spread moves if needed.

[SET]
name: Fast Attacker
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Snarl / Thunder Wave / Volt Switch
item: Shuca Berry / Life Orb
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt gives Raikou a strong, reliable STAB move that lets it deal constant powerful damage against foes. Hidden Power Ice provides Raikou with nifty coverage against Landorus-T and Grass-types such as Venusaur and Breloom, though Amoonguss still walls it handily. Snarl lets Raikous provide useful utility by weakening opposing special attackers at a situational basis, while Thunder Wave allows Raikou to support its team by slowing foes down; picking between the two mostly boils down to team needs and preference. Another alternative is Volt Switch, which lets Raikou deal some damage while also letting it switch out, letting it help with positioning and controlling momentum. Protect is useful for defending Raikou from damage and getting field positioning.

Set Details
========

Full Speed and Special Attack investment maximizes Raikou's offensive potential, letting it deal as much damage as possible and outrun fast threats such as Thundurus, Mega Diancie, and the less relevant Mega Lucario and Serperior. Shuca Berry allows Raikou to stomach an Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T and hit back with Hidden Power Ice, though it's an unfavorable roll and thus needs chip damage to secure a KO. Alternatively, Life Orb provides a noticeable boost in damage output, letting Raikou secure crucial OHKOs, such as Hidden Power Ice on Landorus-T and Thunderbolt on Azumarill and Keldeo, and turning it into a more threatening attacker.

Usage Tips
========

Before picking Raikou for a team, one should make sure to consider if the team would do better without the Flying typing's weaknesses; else, Thundurus is just better due to its higher Special Attack stat. Using Raikou offensively is fairly straightforward; make sure to take advantage of its Speed, as Raikou outruns a significant portion of the metagame, including the key base 110 Speed tier. Raikou is best switched in on Flying- and Electric-type attacks from the likes of Thundurus and Talonflame because it can stomach their attacks and deal with them handily. Use Raikou's utility moves as needed. Against opposing special attackers, use Snarl as necessary; however, watch out for Bisharp, as it can easily take advantage of the Special Attack drop with Defiant. When the opponent has the Speed advantage, paralyzing foes with Thunder Wave can even the odds and give teammates a chance to beat threats they ordinarily wouldn't be able to.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that want Flying- and Electric-types dealt with like Raikou's presence; Grass-, Water-, and Flying-types like Venusaur, Keldeo, and Talonflame all appreciate having said threats gone. Teammates that can take out Amoonguss are a must, as it can easily redirect Raikou's blows and wall it; Psychic-, Flying-, and Fire-types like Latios, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y can KO it with ease. Teammates with Intimidate or the ability to burn foes are great as well, as they can shore up Raikou's physical frailty; Landorus-T and Gyarados can back up Raikou with their Intimidate, and Gengar can neuter opposing physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Wide Guard support from the likes of Aegislash is also appreciated in order to block Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Assault Vest can be nifty for letting Raikou function as a fast sponge for special attacks, but the lack of Protect can prove to be unappealing. Raikou also has access to nifty coverage moves in Shadow Ball, good for Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Aegislash and Latios; Extrasensory, useful to hit Fighting- and Poison-types such as Terrakion and Amoonguss hard; Aura Sphere, which significantly damages Mega Kangaskhan and Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn; and, for sun teams, Weather Ball. However, it is forced to run Rash when running the latter two due to them being event moves, compromising its special bulk and leaving it outrun by common threats Keldeo, Mega Diancie, and Latios. Substitute can be used to soak up a hit for Raikou and let it avoid status from the likes of Amoonguss and Rotom-W. Leftovers can be a viable option over Sitrus Berry on the main set for lasting gradual recovery, and it works well with the aforementioned Substitute to heal back the damage from setting one.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Dragon-types such as Latios and Hydreigon can easily shrug off Raikou's attacks and hit back hard with Draco Meteor or their respective secondary STAB moves, but they have to watch out for Hidden Power Ice, Thunder Wave, and Snarl. Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn don't care about Raikou at all and can simply take advantage of its presence, with the former also able to redirect and sponge Raikou's blows. While they have to be wary of Hidden Power Ice, Ground-types such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Rhyperior are immune to Raikou's STAB moves and can easily KO back with Earthquake.

**Speed Control**: Trick Room can turn the tables against Raikou's Thunder Wave shenanigans and high Speed. Cresselia can easily take anything Raikou can do against it and set Trick Room.

**Miscellaneous**: Raikou has to watch out for using Snarl if the opponent has a Bisharp or the rare Milotic waiting in the back, as they can easily take advantage of the drop from Snarl and instead turn it into a boost with Defiant or Competitive, respectively. Raikou also has to take care of using Snarl against Serperior, as it can take advantage of it with Contrary. Lightning Rod from the likes of Rhydon can redirect Raikou's Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, limiting its effectiveness.

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add thunder wave to oo, put glare serperior in checks & counters

2/3

lets see this written up

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
lol i just literally wrote the reason for the lateness on the op. sorry :(!

will get it done tomorrow or the day after !_!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Raikou can also run a kinda cute Substitute set. I know both Mizu and I have used it before. Worth mentioning in OO.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
raikou learns shadow ball through tm, not event, change that cuz it's misleading

mention weather ball in oo for use on sun teams, as well as hp ice for the offensive set already mentioned, and lefties mainly for the sub set but also works well on fat raikou anyway from my experience with it

volt switch and extrasensory also deserves a mention in oo

wg users in team options, otherwise looks good for 1/3

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
I asked nerds in PS! chat about Shadow Ball and they answered wrong lal

Anyways, implemented !_!

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
when shaian thinks I'm done with amchecks

anyways #Checks4Mem

The description of the EVs in Set Details don't match the given EVs in the set. You say that there's maximum investment into HP and Speed when that's not the case in the set itself. Explain the purpose for 232 Speed EVs, which I'm assuming is for speed creeping Adamant Talonflame.

Also I know there's an Assault Vest Raikou set out there. Kyle made a video about it at one point. It's kind of a neat option to allow another moveslot for coverage or support, and can fit well on Sun or Rain teams. It could get a s/o in OO imo, unless official QC thinks its bad or something lol.

Mention in Usage Tips that it works well as a lead to scout attacks and Thunder Wave a fast threat early on or Snarl some stuff. It also works as a bulky backbone to switch-in for frailer teammates.

You could also rename the Miscellaneous tag to **Defiant and Competitive**

You know what to do with this

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
My bad on the EVs. I already mentioned what it outruns though!

I thought I put in AV in OO. Oh well, thanks for the reminder!

It doesn't really work that way as a lead. I could make a point of it being a switch-in though!

We follow the C&C tags unless there's something that isn't covered by our tags. This isn't the case here so Misc still happens. Uniformity o,o

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
am check bcuz raikou is rai-cool (help i'm sleep deprived from finals)

Overview
-You mention that it has the benefit of neutrality to Rock- and Ice-type attacks but I think it's also important to mention that Raikou is one of the few Electric-types that actually resists Electric, allowing it to check opposing Thundy and Zapdos.

Moves
-"Thunderbolt is Raikou's sole damage-dealing option" is very misleading, since it does have access to other damaging moves, even including one on the set. Maybe rewrite this to "Thunderbolt is Raikou's sole option to do consistent damage" or something? I'll leave the exact wording up to you.
-This is nitpicky, but Snarl either lowers the Special Attack or weakens special attacks. Saying that it weakens Special Attack isn't quite true

Team Options
-Instead of Lando-T maybe say Ground-types? Lando-I is just as much of an issue, as is Mega Swamp/Garchomp etc. Lando-T is definitely the big one though

OO
-If you're going to set screens, Zapdos is almost always better. I'd remove that mention, especially since Snarl already lowers SpA and Intimidate can act like a pseudo-Reflect
-Mention that if Raikou wants to run either Weather Ball or Aura Sphere it needs a Rash Nature as a result of being an event move.
-Extreme Speed is always-useful priority, could be worth a mention even though it's weak to pick off low-HP Azumarill, Talonflame, or Kangaskhan that have access to priority moves

C&C
-Mention that Latios and Hydreigon also try to avoid Snarl, not just T Wave
-Mention Serperior? Coming in on a Snarl would be pretty good for opposing money snakes. Could put this under Grass-types in Typing Advantage or under Miscellaneous with Bisharp and Milotic
-Put Lando-T under a general Ground-type tag for the same reasons as listed above

Check with other QC before implementing :>

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
^Do that bar Extreme Speed, good check tree :)

Also BTW Memo you have an open "and" at the end of the second last bullet point in Overview.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Filling out my am check because I **am** QC now (wow so punny)

Overview:
  • Technically I think you should say one of three that resist Electric, now that Raichu has a place on the VR. The two are also decently comparable in that aspect - fast Electrics that resist Electric. In general, Raikou is better for bulk and attacking power, Raichu is a better supporter
Usage Tips 1:
  • Talonflame Flare Blitz cleanly 2HKOs Raikou even with Sitrus recovery, so you can't really say that Raikou 'walls' Talonflame. Although I know Raikou outspeeds and KOes, you don't want to imply that Raikou switches in. Reword this to say that it resists the Flying- and Electric- STABs or something to avoid this confusion
Team Options 1:
  • Recommending Ferro as a Dragon check when Hydreigon sometimes runs Fire Blast seems iffy - replace with Sylveon or some other idea you can come up with
Set Details 2:
  • In your point about Shuca / HP Ice for a Lando-T lure, say instead that HP Ice isn't guaranteed to KO - there's still a 43% chance, and with any small amount of previous damage it will KO
  • Point out that Raikou picks up a few crucial KOs with Life Orb to show the specifics of that power boost - HP Ice on Lando-T, Thunderbolt on Keldeo and Azumarill
Team Options 2:
  • Earlier on you said that HP Ice gives you coverage for Amoong, now you're saying that it walls you - so which one is it? Since HP Ice barely 3HKOs under the best circumstances (Life Orb, no Sitrus Berry), I'd say you're right that it walls you, so specify earlier on that it just provides you with a way to damage Amoong, not "nifty coverage", which makes it sound like you have a decent matchup due to HP Ice
Once you do that, take this coveted 2 / 3 and write 'er up :^)

after reading this like 5 times im giving you 3/3 bc i literally see nothing i want changed lol

shuca vs life orb slash order is whatever your preference is because i'm pretty sure qc is 50/50 on this. you know I'm 100% for shuca first, i just think tanking a landorus-t EQ even with some chip damage is too important for the offensive set.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
i like the legendary beasts

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Raikou offers very little over other, (AC) more usable Electric-types in Doubles OU such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Zapdos; it doesn't have the nifty typing of Rotom-W, can't parallel both the offensive and supportive potential of Thundurus, and lacks access to Tailwind unlike Zapdos. Raikou's only real niche in the metagame is its neat combination of typing, Speed, and bulk; sporting a high base 115 Speed, enough to outrun a major chunk of the metagame, along with solid HP and Special Defense, Raikou makes for a serviceable Electric-type pick that, unlike Zapdos and Thundurus, doesn't have the Ice- and Rock-type weaknesses that the Flying-type their Flying typing brings and has the Speed that Rotom-W and bulky Thundurus cannot boast having. Raikou is also one of the only three relevant Electric-types in the metagame that actually resists resist Electric-type attacks, the other two being Rotom-H and Raichu, (AC) with Raikou having the best combination of Speed and bulk; the typing lets it function as a decent check to opposing Electric-types such as Thundurus and Zapdos. In addition, Raikou also has nice access to nifty support moves in Snarl and Thunder Wave, the former being useful for weakening the blows of opposing special attackers and the latter letting it provide speed control support to teammates.

Still, its Defense is paltry, which leaves it easily whittled down by common physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Diancie, and its lack of an immunity to Ground, unlike other Electric-types in the metagame, leaves it prone to getting taken down by an Earthquake from the very common Landorus-T.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt gives Raikou an option to deal consistent damage and hits Flying- and Water-types such as Talonflame and Politoed hard. Snarl lets Raikou support its teammates by weakening special attacks, letting them take on opposing special attackers more easily. Thunder Wave lets Raikou provide speed control support by paralyzing foes, letting allowing teammates to (repetitive) outrun foes they normally wouldn't be able to. Protect shields Raikou from damage while also letting it stall out field conditions and allowing it to safely stay in on the field while a partner takes out a threat.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP provides Raikou with as much bulk as possible, and 232 Speed EVs investment with a Timid nature lets let it outrun a significant portion of the metagame, getting the jump on Thundurus and Mega Lucario. The spare EVs are invested into Special Attack in order to provide a slight raise to power. Sitrus Berry provides Raikou burst recovery, giving it a boost to longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Raikou should only be picked for a team when its combination of high Speed, bulk, and lack of weakness to Rock and Ice is desired, as otherwise it's outclassed by other Electric-types such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Zapdos. Raikou has an atypical high Speed for a supporting Pokemon, letting it perform well the double duty of providing usual support and also getting clean hits on faster threats in the metagame such as Keldeo and Mega Diancie. Raikou functions well at being as a bulky switch-in that covers for its frailer teammates; in paritucular particular, Raikou it works well against opposing Flying- and Electric-types such as Talonflame and Thundurus, as it can switch on their Flying- and Fire-type (just checking, are you sure / don't you mean Electric? If you do, just make this "STAB moves" imo, specifying Flying and Electric up ahead makes it evident that you're not referring to Fire anyways) moves with ease while also being able to deal significant damage back. Against opposing special attackers, it can be a good idea for Raikou to use Snarl in order to weaken their blows, making them easier to manage for Raikou and its teammates; it has to cautious when the opponent has a Bisharp, though, as it can punish Snarl by taking advantage of the Special Attack drop with a boost to its Attack with Defiant. As needed, Raikou should use Thunder Wave against faster foes to slow them down for teammates to take advantage of and KO later in the match.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that appreciates Talonflame being dealt with make for good partners; specifically, (AC) (needs something like this for this sentence to cohere / following logically from the former as opposed to being a skeleton with the bullets removed; otherwise, just rephrase it into something like "are good examples" but sigh) Grass- and Fighting-types such as Venusaur, Keldeo, and Blaziken all work more freely once Talonflame is taken out. Teammates that can take out Grass-, Dragon-, and Ground-types, threats that wall Raikou, make for good partners as well; Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Heatran can take out opposing Grass-types, Fairies such as Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon can easily dispatch Dragons, and Water-types such as Keldeo and Suicune as well as Kyurem-B can easily deal with Landorus-T. Support through Intimidate or burns from the likes of Gyarados, Landorus-T, and Gengar are is appreciated as well in order to back up Raikou's lack of physical bulk on the physical side. Wide Guard support from Pokemon such as Aegislash can be useful for blocking Earthquake as well as other spread moves if needed.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt gives Raikou a strong, (AC) reliable STAB move that lets it deal constant powerful damage against foes. Hidden Power Ice provides Raikou with nifty coverage against Landorus-T and Grass-types such as Venusaur and Breloom, though Amoonguss still walls it handily. Snarl lets Raikous provide useful utility by letting it weakening opposing special attacks attackers at a situational basis, while Thunder Wave allows Raikou to support its team by slowing foes down; picking between the two mostly boils down to team needs and preference. Another alternative is Volt Switch, (AC) which lets Raikou deal some damage while also letting it switch out, letting it help with positioning and controlling momentum. Protect is useful for defending Raikou from damage and getting field positioning.

Set Details
========

Full Speed and Special Attack EV investment maximizes Raikou's offensive potential, letting it deal as much damage as possible and outrun fast threats such as Thundurus, Mega Diancie, and the less relevant Mega Lucario and Serperior. Shuca Berry is useful as it allows Raikou to stomach an Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T and hit back with Hidden Power Ice, though it's an unfavorable roll and thus needs chip damage to secure a KO. Alternatively, (AC) Life Orb provides a noticeable boost in damage output, letting Raikou secure crucial OHKOs, such as Hidden Power Ice on Landorus-T and Thunderbolt on Azumarill and Keldeo, and turning it into a more threatening attacker.

Usage Tips
========

Before picking Raikou for a team, one should make sure to consider if the team would do better without the Flying-type's Flying typing's weaknesses; (SC) else, (AC) Thundurus is just better due to having a its higher Special Attack stat. Using Raikou offensively is fairly straightforward; make sure to take advantage of its Speed, (AC) as Raikou outruns a significant portion of the metagame, including the key base 110 Speed tier. Raikou is best switched in on Flying- and Electric-type attacks from the likes of Thundurus and Talonflame because it can stomach their attacks and deal with them handily. Use Raikou's utility moves as needed. Against opposing special attackers, use Snarl as necessary; however, watch out for Bisharp, (AC) as it can easily take advantage of the Special Attack drop with Defiant. When the opponent has the Speed advantage, paralyzing foes with Thunder Wave can even the odds and give teammates a chance to beat threats they ordinarily wouldn't be able to.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that want Flying- and Electric-types dealt with like Raikou's presence; Grass-, Water-, and Flying-types like Venusaur, Keldeo, and Talonflame all appreciate having the said threats gone. Teammates that can take out Amoonguss are a must, (AC) as it can easily redirect and wall Raikou's blows and wall it; Psychic-, Flying-, and Fire-types like Latios, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y can KO Amoonguss it with ease. Teammates with Intimidate or the ability to burn foes are great as well, (AC) as they can shore up Raikou's physical frailty on the physical side; Landorus-T and Gyarados can back up Raikou with their Intimidate, (AC) and Gengar can neuter opposing physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Wide Guard support from the likes of Aegislash is also appreciated in order to block Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Assault Vest can be nifty for nifty (niftily) letting Raikou function as a fast sponge for special attacks, but the lack of Protect can prove to be unappealing. Raikou also has access to nifty coverage moves in Shadow Ball, good for Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Aegislash and Latios; Extrasensory, useful to hit hard Fighting- and Poison-types such as Terrakion and Amoonguss hard; Aura Sphere, which significantly damages Mega Kangaskhan and Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn; and, for sun teams, Weather Ball. However, it is forced to run Rash when running the last latter two due to them being event moves, compromising its special bulk on the special side and leaving it outrun by common threats Keldeo, Mega Diancie, and Latios. Substitute can be used to soak up a hit for Raikou and let it avoid status from the likes of Amoonguss and Rotom-W. Leftovers can be a viable option over Sitrus Berry on the main set for lasting gradual recovery, and it works well with the aforementioned Substitute to heal back the damage from setting one.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Dragon-types such as Latios and Hydreigon can easily shrug off Raikou's attacks and hit back hard with Draco Meteor or their respective secondary STAB moves, (AC) but they have to watch out for Hidden Power Ice, Thunder Wave, (AC) and Snarl. Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn don't care about Raikou at all and can simply take advantage of its presence, with the former also able to redirect and sponge Raikou's blows. While they have to be wary of Hidden Power Ice, Ground-types such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Rhyperior are immune to Raikou's STAB moves and can easily KO back with Earthquake.

**Speed Control**: Trick Room can turn the tables against Raikou's Thunder Wave shenanigans and high Speed. Cresselia can easily take anything Raikou can do against it and set Trick Room.

**Miscellaneous**: Raikou has to watch out for using Snarl if the opponent has a Bisharp or the rare Milotic waiting in the back, as they can easily take advantage of the drop from Snarl and instead turn it into a boost with Defiant or Competitive, respectively. Raikou also has to take care of using Snarl against Serperior, (AC) as it can take advantage of it with Contrary. Lightning Rod (rip u_u) from the likes of Rhydon can redirect Raikou's Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, limiting its effectiveness.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yeah yeah yeah
implement carefully dude

GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Raikou offers very little over other, more usable Electric-types in Doubles OU such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Zapdos; it doesn't have the nifty typing of Rotom-W, can't parallel both the offensive and supportive potential of Thundurus, and lacks access to Tailwind unlike Zapdos. Raikou's only real niche in the metagame is its neat combination of typing, Speed, and bulk; sporting a high base 115 Speed, enough to outrun a major chunk of the metagame, along with solid HP and Special Defense, Raikou makes for a serviceable Electric-type pick that, unlike Zapdos and Thundurus, doesn't have the Ice- and Rock-type weaknesses that their Flying typing brings and has the Speed that Rotom-W and bulky Thundurus cannot boast having. Raikou is also one of the only three relevant Electric-types in the metagame that actually resist Electric-type attacks, the other two being Rotom-H and Raichu, with Raikou having the best combination of Speed and bulk; the typing lets it function as a decent check to opposing Electric-types such as Thundurus and Zapdos. In addition, Raikou also has access to nifty support moves in Snarl and Thunder Wave, the former being useful for weakening the blows of opposing special attackers and the latter letting it provide speed control support to teammates.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt gives Raikou an option to deal consistent damage and hits Flying- and Water-types such as Talonflame and Politoed hard. Snarl lets Raikou support its teammates by weakening special attacks, letting them take on opposing special attackers more easily. Thunder Wave lets Raikou provide speed control by paralyzing foes, allowing teammates to outrun foes they normally wouldn't be able to. Protect shields Raikou from damage while also letting it stall out field conditions and allowing it to safely stay in on the field while a partner takes out a threat.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP provides Raikou with as much bulk as possible, and 232 Speed EVs with a Timid nature let it outrun a significant portion of the metagame, getting the jump on Thundurus and Mega Lucario. The spare EVs are invested into Special Attack in order to provide a slight raise to power. Sitrus Berry provides Raikou with burst recovery, giving it a boost to longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Raikou should only be picked for a team when its combination of high Speed, bulk, and lack of weakness to Rock and Ice is desired, as otherwise it's outclassed by other Electric-types such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Zapdos. Raikou has an atypical high Speed for a supporting Pokemon, letting it perform well the double duty of providing usual support and getting clean hits on faster threats in the metagame such as Keldeo and Mega Diancie. Raikou functions well as a bulky switch-in that covers for its frailer teammates; in particular, it works well against opposing Flying- and Electric-types such as Talonflame and Thundurus, as it can switch on their STAB moves moves with ease while also being able to deal significant damage back. Against opposing special attackers, it can be a good idea for Raikou to use Snarl in order to weaken their blows, making them easier to manage for its team; it has to be cautious when the opponent has a Bisharp, though, as it can punish Snarl by taking advantage of the Special Attack drop with Defiant. As needed, Raikou should use Thunder Wave against faster foes to slow them down for teammates to take advantage of and KO later in the match.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that appreciate Talonflame being dealt with make for good partners; specifically, Grass- and Fighting-types such as Venusaur, Keldeo, and Blaziken all work more freely once Talonflame is taken out. Teammates that can take out Grass-, Dragon-, and Ground-types, threats that wall Raikou, make for good partners as well; Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Heatran can take out opposing Grass-types, Fairies such as Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon can easily dispatch Dragons, and Water-types such as Keldeo and Suicune as well as Kyurem-B can easily deal with Landorus-T. Support through Intimidate or burns from the likes of Gyarados, Landorus-T, and Gengar are is appreciated as well in order to back up Raikou's lack of physical bulk. Wide Guard support from Pokemon such as Aegislash can be useful for blocking Earthquake as well as other spread moves if needed.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt gives Raikou a strong, reliable STAB move that lets it deal constant powerful damage against foes. Hidden Power Ice provides Raikou with nifty coverage against Landorus-T and Grass-types such as Venusaur and Breloom, though Amoonguss still walls it handily. Snarl lets Raikous provide useful utility by weakening opposing special attackers at a situational basis, while Thunder Wave allows Raikou to support its team by slowing foes down; picking between the two mostly boils down to team needs and preference. Another alternative is Volt Switch, which lets Raikou deal some damage while also letting it switch out, letting it help with positioning and controlling momentum. Protect is useful for defending Raikou from damage and getting field positioning.

Set Details
========

Full Speed and Special Attack investment maximizes Raikou's offensive potential, letting it deal as much damage as possible and outrun fast threats such as Thundurus, Mega Diancie, and the less relevant Mega Lucario and Serperior. Shuca Berry allows Raikou to stomach an Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T and hit back with Hidden Power Ice, though it's an unfavorable roll and thus needs chip damage to secure a KO. Alternatively, Life Orb provides a noticeable boost in damage output, letting Raikou secure crucial OHKOs, such as Hidden Power Ice on Landorus-T and Thunderbolt on Azumarill and Keldeo, and turning it into a more threatening attacker.

Usage Tips
========

Before picking Raikou for a team, one should make sure to consider if the team would do better without the Flying typing's weaknesses; else, Thundurus is just better due to its higher Special Attack stat. Using Raikou offensively is fairly straightforward; make sure to take advantage of its Speed, (AC) (keep the comma but remove the comments) as Raikou outruns a significant portion of the metagame, including the key base 110 Speed tier. Raikou is best switched in on Flying- and Electric-type attacks from the likes of Thundurus and Talonflame because it can stomach their attacks and deal with them handily. Use Raikou's utility moves as needed. Against opposing special attackers, use Snarl as necessary; however, watch out for Bisharp, (AC) (keep the comma but remove the comments) as it can easily take advantage of the Special Attack drop with Defiant. When the opponent has the Speed advantage, paralyzing foes with Thunder Wave can even the odds and give teammates a chance to beat threats they ordinarily wouldn't be able to.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that want Flying- and Electric-types dealt with like Raikou's presence; Grass-, Water-, and Flying-types like Venusaur, Keldeo, and Talonflame all appreciate having said threats gone. Teammates that can take out Amoonguss are a must, as it can easily redirect Raikou's blows and wall it; Psychic-, Flying-, and Fire-types like Latios, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y can KO it with ease. Teammates with Intimidate or the ability to burn foes are great as well, as they can shore up Raikou's physical frailty; Landorus-T and Gyarados can back up Raikou with their Intimidate, and Gengar can neuter opposing physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Wide Guard support from the likes of Aegislash is also appreciated in order to block Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Assault Vest can be nifty for letting Raikou function as a fast sponge for special attacks, but the lack of Protect can prove to be unappealing. Raikou also has access to nifty coverage moves in Shadow Ball, good for Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Aegislash and Latios; Extrasensory, useful to hit Fighting- and Poison-types such as Terrakion and Amoonguss hard; Aura Sphere, which significantly damages Mega Kangaskhan and Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn; and, for sun teams, Weather Ball. However, it is forced to run Rash when running the latter two due to them being event moves, compromising its special bulk and leaving it outrun by common threats Keldeo, Mega Diancie, and Latios. Substitute can be used to soak up a hit for Raikou and let it avoid status from the likes of Amoonguss and Rotom-W. Leftovers can be a viable option over Sitrus Berry on the main set for lasting gradual recovery, and it works well with the aforementioned Substitute to heal back the damage from setting one.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Dragon-types such as Latios and Hydreigon can easily shrug off Raikou's attacks and hit back hard with Draco Meteor or their respective secondary STAB moves, but they have to watch out for Hidden Power Ice, Thunder Wave, and Snarl. Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn don't care about Raikou at all and can simply take advantage of its presence, with the former also able to redirect and sponge Raikou's blows. While they have to be wary of Hidden Power Ice, Ground-types such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Rhyperior are immune to Raikou's STAB moves and can easily KO back with Earthquake.

**Miscellaneous**: Raikou has to watch out for using Snarl if the opponent has a Bisharp or the rare Milotic waiting in the back, as they can easily take advantage of the drop from Snarl and instead turn it into a boost with Defiant or Competitive, respectively. Raikou also has to take care of using Snarl against Serperior, as it can take advantage of it with Contrary. Lightning Rod from the likes of Rhydon can redirect Raikou's Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, limiting its effectiveness.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
lol. I'll implement much more carefully next time ;p

Implemented this one too, done! Uploaded, movin'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)