ORAS OU My First Time (RMT OU Hyper Offensive)

(As I am new to the forums please forgive my inexperience and feel free to comment on how I can improve)

Hello everyone I've been working on this team for a while and have found quite a good amount of success with it. Many of my losses come from personal misplays but I am aware that my team may be to blame as well. For starters I have had huge amounts of trouble dealing with water types, particularly bulky ones. Swampers, suicunes, manaphys, and quagsires are among the top threats that I've noticed so far. Ice types also seem to pose a threat. But, Without further delay, I shall share my team; feel free to make improvements that you think may help. Also I like to try to make my teams in-game so I would prefer that you not suggest legendarys since they are rather difficult to perfect.

Garchomp (Gabby) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Garchomp has proven to be a very good lead for me. If the opposing lead can OHKO or can 2HKO and is faster the sash usually guarentees that I at least get rocks up. If I'm faster I can usually get an earthquake or dragon claw off before he gets KOed. If the opponent doesn't immediately threaten Garchomp I can try to get some early damage done and set up with SD.

Lucario (Arthur) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch

Lucario is used as a physical wallbreaker and with a +2 can do quite a good amount of damage with extreme speed. Being that its is outsped by many mons and is weak to fire moves and earthquake, it usually is a hit or miss on whether or not it will do anything during the game. Suggestions for another wallbreaker would be greatly appreciated. I also use lucario to counter any gliscors that I may run across, since I dont have too much of an answer to them otherwise.

Azumarill (Allen) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Azumarill is used as my second wallbreaker and provides a lot to the team defensively. The fairy coverage is nice and the aqua jet makes for good late game cleans and is handy when the priority is needed. Knock off provides some decent utility as well and is able to get rid of any pesky psychic types I may face.

Talonflame (Amber) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Talon flame is just a good pokemon to have in the current meta. She makes a good offensive bird-spam core with mega pinsir and has a phenominal ability in gale wings. I chose to run with the sharp beak so that I still get some bonuses on the brave bird but don't suffer the horrendous recoil that results from a strong BB or FB with a life orb.

Pinsir (Keisha) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Pinsir goes well with talonflame and can do quite a bit of damage with the aerilate boosted quick attack and return. Assuming that the other mons have cleared the way for this core to function properly, a SD boosted mega pinsir or talonflame should be able to win the game for me. What usually happens is I will be left with pinsir or talonflame and I just choose which one will have the type advantage or moves needed to finish off the game. One will usually fall before the other can sweep however.

Excadrill (Doug) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Since a lot of my team is weak to stealth rocks I needed a pokemon to serve utility purposes. Since excdrill is pretty weak to an earthquake or fire move I prefer to use a scarf on this set an I have had man clutch situations where the scarf let me win 1v3 situations. I was debating on whether or not to use jolly or adamant and after seeing that a jolly drill can outspeed a +1 mega alteria it looks quite tempting. My question here is, does the increased speed make up for the drop in damage? If he still hits very hard after the drop I might see myselft breeding for one with jolly. Also a fast rapid spin is nice in some situations so I'd like to keep RS and the scarf on Excadrill.

If you've made it this far, thank you for your time! If you have any improvements to suggest feel free to share!

Last edited:
Hey, BluJ.

I noticed a few major flaws in your team, which I'll get to right away. You have 6 physical attackers, which makes you incredibly vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp, and allows physical walls like Slowbro and Unaware Clefable put a hard stop to your team.

>
The first suggestion I have is to replace Azumarill with Choice Specs Keldeo. Keldeo, like Azumarill, acts as a counter to Weavile and (to an even better extent) Bisharp. In addition, it fits in nicely as an offensive Water type, and allows you to effectively spread burns. Running HP Electric on Keldeo is also a decent way to deal damage to Slowbro.
>
>
As it stands, Mega Manectric, Thundurus, and Raikou walk all over your team. Since you already have a fast, offensive Steel type, you could replace Lucario with AV Raikou, which will help you take electric hits, and preserve momentum by pivoting into something like Excadrill, which can deal with these fast electrics. Alternatively, you could try running CM Clefable, which has a reliable form of recovery, but this comes at the cost of momentum that you may have gained in battle.

Some changes to your sets:
You should try Outrage > Dragon Claw on Garchomp; you're using it as a sash lead anyway, so nailing an OHKO when you otherwise would not can be very helpful to your team.
Use Jolly > Adamant Excadrill. This will allow you to effectively deal with Jolly Mega Altaria at +1 and Adamant Charizard X at +1, both of which can put a dent into your team.
Try Close Combat > Earthquake on Mega Pinsir. This will allow you to net important OHKOs on TTar, while still KOing the likes of Heatran and Ferrothorn at +2.

Hope I helped, good luck with your team!

Sets located here:
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric] / Icy Wind
Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower / Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions Qualifier! About the 6 physical attackers I thought that would be beneficial for a HO team since I wont have to worry about special walls but I could be wrong. Also will I'll probably switch dragon claw for outrage on garchomp since he wont be around long anyways. Jolly excadrill makes a lot of sense so I think I'll probably do that as well. I actually had keldeo on my team for a while but I wanted to stray away from legendaries since I mostly play with my friends and they hate legends. I can totally see how a keldeo would be useful though. Concerning the clefable wouldn't it lose the momentum that a HO team needs to work? Also I was looking for a good fighting attack and since I already have 2-3 earthquake users I think it would make sense to use close combat on pinsir.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Hey solid team, but it could use a few changes that could make it better.

I noticed that your team has a major weakness to water types such as Manaphy, and Azumarill; and since your team is all Physical Attackers, just adds Suicune and Slowbro to the threat list too. To solve most of your issues I suggest using Thundurus over Lucario, Thundurus can't switch into Azumarill well, but it can be used as a Non-Switch In; your team is Hyper Offensive so adding bulky Pokemon like Ferrothorn would ruin the momentum of the team. Thundurus can run Grass Knot to lure in Quagsire which your team struggles against very badly, and I also would run Thunder Wave to slow opposing fast Pokemon for Mega Pinsir to beat easier. Lucario doesn't really fix any of your teams weaknesses and Lucario is pretty mediocore in the metagame now making him the most replaceable.

I know your team is Hyper Offensive but your team really needs some bulk as your team can't take hits from anything. Garchomp is a fine member on your team but I suggest changing it's moveset to Tank Chomp to take Physical hits much better. Tank Chomp return back about 25% of recoil with its Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet to the opponent that makes Physical contact. This will help against Mega Lopunny, Talonflame, and etc. I hoped I helped, have a nice day ^_^

Final Changes
>

Tank Chomp>Sash Chomp

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice/Grass Knot
- Focus Blast/Grass Knot

Garchomp (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Endure/Toxic/Fire Blast/Stone Edge

92 Speed EVs outspeed Jolly Bisharp, Breloom, Gallade and Metagross before Mega Evolution

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)