Other SMOGON NOMIC (SIGNUPS PHASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by zorbees and UncleSam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomic

Created in 1982 by some philosopher guy named Peter Suber, Nomic is a game with no rules initially.. except for a way to make rules. Modeled on government systems, it apparently proves various things regarding how the ability to create laws can lead to contradictions yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, the ONLY rule the laws of physics still apply is to let you make rules! (well and a couple of rules that describe how the proccess goes and such)

Initial rules for SMOGON NOMIC

1: Basics

1.1. The hosts, internet and acidphoenix, interpret and enforce the rules.

1.2. Rules with higher numbering take precedence over rules with lower numbers where they would contradict each other.

2: Winning and Losing

2.1. A player wins the game when they have 100 points.

2.2: When one player wins the game, the rest of the players lose.

2.3: When you break a rule, you lose the game, unless otherwise stated by the rule in question.

2.4: A player who has lost or won is no longer part of the game.

3: Adding Rules

3.1. Each game round has two phases.

3.2. The first phase is the Proposal Phase. During the Proposal Phase, each player proposes one rule or passes. Once each player has proposed a rule or passed, the phase ends early. The phase also ends when 18 hours have passed since the beginning of it.

3.3. The second phase is the Voting Phase. During the Voting Phase, all players post their votes on rules proposed during the Proposal Phase, voting once per proposed rule. Any rule which achieves majority is enacted when the voting phase ends. Once each proposal has achieved a majority for or against it, the phase ends early. The phase also ends when 18 hours have passed since the beginning of it.

3.4. If you fail to take action for three consecutive phases a sub will be requested.

3.5 Upon enactment of rules, all passed rules will be added to the list. All rules of a phase will have the numbering "x.y," where x is the first unused number and y is determined through consecutive numbers, with order being determined from least to most votes achieved. If two rules have the same number of votes, the one proposed first will receive the higher number.

READ THAT STUFF ^^^^

Signups will be open for one week(although rules to extend them or allow mid-game joining can be made) before the first Proposal Phase starts.

Last edited:
This looks interesting. Count me in too. :)

Edit: Guess I have a question. It says in rule 2.1 that someone wins when they have 100 points, yet points aren't discussed in the rest of the rules. Is that up to us to make the rules for obtaining and losing said points?

Since people were talking about proposals already I was not sure if I had missed the start, glad to see sign-ups are still open. Depending on how long the game lasts I may not be active for the full duration, but I'd like to join the game.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
rule 3.5 was added to make sure rules passed in the same voting phase will have different priorities, to cover fringe cases where rules passed in the same voting phase contradict preemptively.

In if signups are still open, which they probably aren't :(. Are amendments and repealing covered in the initial rules or do we have to make rules ourselves about that?

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In if signups are still open, which they probably aren't :(. Are amendments and repealing covered in the initial rules or do we have to make rules ourselves about that?
You've been added to the player list

amendments and repeals are handled to some extent by the fact that later rules take precedent over earlier rules, currently. But there are no rules for amendments and repeals as of yet. Of course, any sort of rule could be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)