ORAS PU Don't Worry (.8k)

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Introduction
Hey what's up guys, for those who don't know I'm Twix, and I'm probably one of the worst players on this website. I've been involved in the PU community for a long while, although admittedly less in the near past, and am making this RMT to showcase a really underused threat in the tier (haha I can say that now because PU is official), which is Murkrow. While Murkrow doesn't have access to Moxie like its evolution, it is still a really fearsome offensive presence in the tier, capable of taking on threats such as Pawniard, Mr. Mime, Monferno, and Throh.

This team was made for the Throh Resuspect, which I recently got requirements for, so I'd like to showcase it for other people to use. Criticism is pretty important, so if you have any (I'm looking at you Raiza and Megazard), feel free to put it in the comments. Since the introduction is out of the way, let's get onto the actual team.

Teambuilding Process

As stated in the introduction, the team was made around Murkrow. I really loved how much it can influence a game, and just the sheer power it has behind it. The fact that it can check Throh was really cool as well.

At this point, I decided to add a core of Throh and Bouffalant to the team. The two work really well together, with Bouffalant taking out Psychic-types for Throh and Throh just being a really big annoyance. Throh also added a Regice and Misdreavus check for Murkrow, and Bouffalant added a Floatzel check.

Now, from this point, I had three physical attackers, and no reliable recovery for any of them. Wanting to keep up the offensive-ish pace the team had, I opted for Healing Wish Mr. Mime, which also doubled as a Chatot counter.

From here, I didn't really have an answer to things likes Pelipper, Monferno, and Swanna, and besides, Floatzel is an absolute demon in the metagame.

I realized that I lacked entry hazard support, and a check to Pokemon such as Monferno, Dodrio, and Stoutland, as well as an Electric immunity is always welcomed on my teams.

In Depth Analysis

Murkrow @ Life Orb | Insomnia
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe | Hasty
Sucker Punch | Brave Bird | Hidden Power Fighting | Pursuit

Analysis
As stated in the teambuilding process, this team was mainly made around Murkrow, which is an underrated threat in the metagame. Murkrow is actually used less than Magmar and Sunflora, based on the 1760 stats. The set itself is fairly self explanatory. Sucker Punch and Brave Bird are really powerful STAB moves which can be used to weaken foes such as Rotom-F, Exeggutor, Monferno, and Tangela. Hidden Power Fighting is mainly for Pawniard, which it OHKOes, and is actually really unexpected for some reason. It also doubles as a way to hit Probopass, and can be really key late-game. Pursuit is a really cool move in the last slot which can be used to weaken Pokemon such as Roselia, Exeggutor, and Kadabra if you get the correct prediction. Insomnia is used just to switch into Exeggutor a bit easier, as well as preventing Tangela from putting it to sleep.

Role
Murkrow takes the role as a strong priority user, as well as a physical wallbreaker. It doubles as an offensive Pawniard and Fighting-type check.

Throh @ Leftovers | Guts
192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD | Adamant
Storm Throw | Knock Off | Rest | Sleep Talk​

Analysis
Ah Throh. This team was built during its Resuspect (which is still going on), and it's a very solid Pokemon in general. Throh is a blanket check for a lot of Pokemon including Zebstrika, Regice, Rotom-F, Bouffalant, and Pawniard, and can't be touched by Defensive Pokemon such as Roselia and Misdreavus. Storm Throw is a really strong STAB move, which always crits the opposing Pokemon, which can be key against Pokemon such as Arbok. Knock Off is the move of the generation, and is really effective in a tier which is full of defensive Eviolite Pokemon. Due to Guts, Throh is a solid status absorber, and pairs well with Rest and Sleep Talk as it can put itself to sleep and then have a 2/3 chance of using a move that has damage equivalent to that of a Choice Band. The EV spread allows Throh to be as bulky as possible while hitting as hard as it can with an Adamant nature.

While I'm here, I'll just put some thoughts about if it's unhealthy or not for the metagame. I personally feel that Throh would make the metagame a lot more balanced, as it checks a lot of offensive threats, while it's not as broken as it used to be due to the sheer amounts of checks to it that are already common in the metagame. If you want to read more about my opinions on the topic, click here.

Role
Throh plays the role as a blanket check for a lot of threats which I've mentioned before, a status absorber, a Knock Off user, and a secondary, more bulky Pawniard check.

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest | Sap Sipper
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe | Adamant
Frustration | Earthquake | Megahorn | Pursuit

Analysis
Bouffalant is such an amazing Pokemon in the current metagame, which can hit like a truck while still looking stylish. This set really helps out against Psychic-types, mainly Exeggutor and Kadabra, being immune to one of the former's STABs and being able to Pursuit trap both. Frustration is a basic STAB move, which can do chunks against almost everything that doesn't resist it. Earthquake hits Pokemon such as Golem, non Balloon Probopass, Pawnird Metang, and Stunfisk, while Megahorn hits Pokemon such as Grumpig, Tangela, and a Roosting Vullaby. As stated before, Pursuit is for Psychic-types such as Exeggutor and Kadabra. Sap Sipper helps out against Pokemon such as Roselia, Tangela, Jumpluff, Quilladin, and other Grass-types.

Role
Bouffalant takes the role of a Grass immunity, a Sleep Powder immunity, a Psychic/Special Attacker check, and strong bulky attacker.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf | Soundproof
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Healing Wish | Psychic | Dazzling Gleam | Focus Blast​

Analysis
Mr. Mime is a really cool Pokemon, which can play a support role, as well as a fast Special Attacker and secondary check to Throh. Healing Wish is the main catch to the set, and is the reason I'm using it over another Chatot check like Electrode. Psychic and Dazzling Gleam are obligatory STAB moves, which allow Mr. Mime to hit Fighting-types, Vullaby, and Murkrow. Soundproof is what makes Mr. Mime a Chatot counter, as its immune to its devastating STAB move, Boomburst. Focus Blast hits Bouffalant, Regice, Stoutland, and Probopass relatively well.

Role
Mr. Mime takes the role of a Healing Wish supporter, as well as a fast Special Attacker and Fighting-type check, which can counter Chatot.

Floatzel @ Life Orb | Water Veil
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Hasty
Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Hidden Power Electric | Aqua Jet

Analysis
Floatzel is a legend in the tier, and is a really fast and powerful attacker. It's a solid check to opposing Water-types, bar Politoed and Relicanth, and pretty hard to switch into. Hydro Pump is a really powerful STAB move, when it hits, and paired with a Life Orb, has little to no solid switch ins. Ice Beam hits Grass-types such as Roselia, Tangela, and Jumpluff, while Hidden Power Electric OHKOes Pokemon such as Pelipper and Swanna, as well as hits opposing Water-types super effectively. Aqua Jet is pretty niche, but it can be really effective priority if you have to get a bit more damage on a foe. Water Veil prevents Floatzel from getting burned by Scald and Will-O-Wisp.

Role
Floatzel takes the roles as a strong, fast, Special Attacker, Water check, secondary priority user, and wallbreaker.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers | Static
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD | Calm
Stealth Rock | Earth Power | Discharge | Toxic​

Analysis
Stunfisk was always seen as a sort of meme Pokemon because of its unsettling pancake-esque figure. But no more! Stunfisk is a really solid defensive entry hazard setter in the tier, which can check Pokemon such as Monferno, Dodrio, Stoutland, Zebstrika, and Raichu, and has a high chance of haxing a foe due to Static and Discharge. Stealth Rock is the main reason I am using it, as it's one of the best moves in the game, and residual damage is always fun. Earth Power hits opposing Stealth Rock users such as Probopass, Golem, and opposing Stunfisk, as well as Fire- and Poison-types such as Monferno and Arbok. Discharge hits Flying-type Pokemon, and has a chance to paralyze any Pokemon you use it against bar Pokemon immune to Electric-type moves. Toxic is to take on walls such as Lickilicky. Leftovers are mainly for residual recovery.

Role
Stunfisk takes the role of a check to various offensive Pokemon, an entry hazard setter, an Electric-type immunity, and a Special Wall with chances to paralyze physical attackers.
Resources
- Attempt to take it on with your Floatzel, outpace it with Mr. Mime, or finish it off with Bouffalant or Throh
- Go to Throh and click Storm Throw.
- In most cases, you'll be in a situation where you have to choose between Murkrow or Bouffalant. In most cases Bouffalant is the best switch in if it's at full health. Once you switch it in, Pursuit trap Exeggutor
- Most of the time, Bouffalant can take on Roselia on its own, although Throh can Knock Off and eventually take it out. Mime or Floatzel can revenge kill it.
- Stunfisk can switch into it and click Stealth Rock. If it's dead or weakened, Throh or Bouffalant can take it on.
- Attempt to paralyze it via Stunfisk. Even if you don't paralyze it, if Throh is at full health go to it and click Storm Throw.
- Murkrow, Stunfisk, or Throh can take it on.
- This one is a doozy. Throh is probably the best option in case it's a Sub Wisp set, since it can cripple Bouffalant.
- Switch in Throh and click Storm Throw.
- Bouffalant absorbs Sleep Powders, and Floatzel can OHKO with Ice Beam.
- Bouffalant or Murkrow can deal heavy damage.
- Stunfisk takes nothing from Brave Bird and can Discharge. Has chance to paralyze as well. Floatzel can outpace and OHKO if it's not Choice Scarf.
- Floatzel deals heavy damage with Hydro Pump, and your Stunfisk can Earth Power it. Last case scenario Throh can Storm Throw, and Bouffalant can Earthquake.
- Bouffalant beats it one on one and can break its Focus Sash with Pursuit. Murkrow can Pursuit it as well.
- Mr. Mime counters it.
- Mr. Mime and Murkrow can take it on.
- Throh can take it on one on one, and Murkrow can revenge kill it.
- Hydro Pump from Floatzel can OHKO, or Stunfisk can switch in relatively well.
- Floatzel can hit it hard with Hidden Power Electric, and Murkrow can revenge kill it.
- Really hard to switch into, but Throh beats it one on one.
- Stunfisk can take any hit, Floatzel and Murkrow can OHKO it.
- Stunfisk walls it.
- Let it take poison damage and whittle it down with Sucker Punch Murk or just Hydro Pump with Floatzel.
- Bouff can take it on if it's all Special, and takes a Superpower from Max Health
- Stunfisk wall it, Murkrow can kill it with Sucker Punch, Bouff needs to be wary for a Focus Blast or Trick.
- Knock it off with Throh and take it out with Floatzel.
- Stunfisk walls it
- Attempt to weaken it, then Bouffalant can kill it even after a Shell Smash
- Bouffalant and Throh beat it one on one
- Paralyze with Stunfisk or keep Throh healthy.
- Every Pokemon has a move to hit it lol
- Lead off with Floatzel and try to freeze it with Ice Beam. If Floatzel is important in that game, lead off with Murkrow and HP Fight.
- Kill with Floatzel or Paralyze it with Stunfisk
- Throh can 2HKO iirc with Storm Throw, Stun can live an Earthquake, Floatzel lives a +1 Sucker Punch and can revenge kill
- Throh lol

wip

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Pursuit

Throh @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Storm Throw
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Pursuit

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Aqua Jet

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Discharge
- Toxic

Magnemite he's pretty cool
galbia he's okay
2xTheTap more than pretty cool
Dundies honestly i give him too much shit, he's okay
Megazard can you rate my AG team???
Anty yay anty
Raiza greatest PU rater
-Grim good player, good guy
scorpdestroyer dead
Sir Kay really cool dude, bad NU player ;^)
TONE114 Really cool guy, known him for a while
trc sorry for johnning you in Seasonals
gasquakee gusquak. funny kid, bad at analyses
Jetpack legend
MaroGod he's kinda a scrub
Mistress Remilia E-rank Legend
Tect Do you remember that one game when I timer stalled you
RawMelon flinch. hax.
Poliwrath terrible name changes
dodmen yay dodmen
HJAD H J A D or H JAD or Ha JAD
Kingler12345 Scrub lmao
Mael yay mael

scpinion cool Tier Leader
Freeroamer legendary battler!!!
Anttya hax legend
Articuno I when do you want to play for Mono Brigade
Dream Eater Gengar deggggggggg
Bondie Elliot
Misaka Mikoto you're okay I guess
Laxuy you don't go hand to hand with a fighter noob
Snowyyy hi snowyyy
Stunfisk The Great lol you're garb

sirDonovan he's pretty cool
Saverdien cool but dead-ish
Illusio he's okay
2Lou4u hi lou
Snaquaza Snaq money
Wan the Avatar Manaphy286 Wanaphy
ajhockeystar hockey is bad :oooo
S34n4e♪♫ hi
Tunaface lol tuna
Voltages abraite
Painter Espeon hi pespeon you suck :ooooo

thecrystalonix HI TCO
Feliburn you suck lol
Natural Talent honestly the worst battler ever
Kableye eye lmao
aoemica you're okay
Joshz jump on a spear
Lord Death Man HEY FREN
North sorry
tehy FREED
slurmz ass
Arifeen hi feen
ajernejcic ENGLISH ONLY USA
DKFirelord donkey kong = fire
MainEvent you passed me that heat DOU team for reqs
Scythe. You beat me in PSPL ;;
Shiba i forgot

Peli hi ubers player
Deej Dy Oolong Tea
Zodiax you suck
Zeonth ribbit
don't lose i never lose
Blitzamirin HI BLITZ

Conclusion
In conclusion, Murkrow is a really underrated Pokemon in the PU tier. The tier itself is really fun too, and I'd advice you guys to try it out. This team is really fun to use, and I hope you guys feel the same way about it. Rates are welcomed, and I'd like to see what you guys have to say about the team as well. That's all I've got, see you guys later. Also hype 800 posts.

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Hey man, thanks for the shoutout! I dont play too much PU but I can definitely see Mystic Water over Life Orb working for your team. Since Floatzel is ur main way of handling bulky water/flyers such as Pelipper or Swanna, I don't think taking the extra damage is good for you at all. Also, Mystic Water allows you to bluff a Choice Item and get more surprise kills with AJet and Hp Electric for those thinking you are Specs / Scarf. Overall, its a really nice team and again thanks for the shoutut.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used this a fair amount since you passed it to me since I didn't want to reveal muh seasonal teams so I don't really need to test for this rate yay
In the event that you aren't creeping more than you posted in the rmt on bouff, do that bc it's how you win games. Put Sludge Wave or HP Bug or something on Stunfisk over Toxic, Eggy is quite obnoxious and I swear this helped a lot even if TRC sucks. This part isn't as important as the other two, but I liked Dark Pulse over Pursuit on Murkrow, you already have Pursuit Bouff which handles most things for Throh and Dark Pulse is so nice for something reliable+strong+no recoil, also hitting Metang and Golem without using weak as piss HP fighting is cool. Other than that I liked this team, I imagine one of the PU junior raters like Anty is gonna replace some more stuff but I found this pretty solid as is with only Golem standing out as a really annoying threat.

Yo Twix, cool team, not too many weaknesses, but I see a few that stand out.

Like Megazard said, Golem can be problematic, so you could do something by the likes of changing Leftovers --> Shuca Berry on Stunfisk, but instead, I think you should change Stunfisk --> Golem. This helps to combat another pretty big weakness to your team, and thats Stoutland (and I guess Normal-types in general). Nothing on your team can switch into it, and Golem can at least provide you with a Normal resist. Throh can still check Pawniard with ease, and Mr. Mime and Floatzel both have no troubles revenge killing Monferno. This also provides a more offensive edge to your team, which I feel Stunfisk sorta takes away.

tl;dr

Golem @ Weakness Policy | Sturdy
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Adamant
Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Sucker Punch

Hope I helped :toast:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I used this a fair amount since you passed it to me since I didn't want to reveal muh seasonal teams so I don't really need to test for this rate yay
In the event that you aren't creeping more than you posted in the rmt on bouff, do that bc it's how you win games. Put Sludge Wave or HP Bug or something on Stunfisk over Toxic, Eggy is quite obnoxious and I swear this helped a lot even if TRC sucks. This part isn't as important as the other two, but I liked Dark Pulse over Pursuit on Murkrow, you already have Pursuit Bouff which handles most things for Throh and Dark Pulse is so nice for something reliable+strong+no recoil, also hitting Metang and Golem without using weak as piss HP fighting is cool. Other than that I liked this team, I imagine one of the PU junior raters like Anty is gonna replace some more stuff but I found this pretty solid as is with only Golem standing out as a really annoying threat.
I was sort of on the fence between Pursuit and Dark Pulse, because sometimes I felt like I wanted it. Dark Pulse worked out pretty well though, so I'll figure it out.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Pretty nice team you have here Twix , kind of resembles one of mines so I'm confident I can help you with this.
There isn't much to change, as this team has an offensive nature and isn't going to have switch-ins for every threat out there without changing how the team plays anyway, so I won't bother switching up lots of things. First of all, you really need these investments in special defense to Stunfisk? It doesn't look like you really need them, or at least you wouldn't need them comparing to the usefulness that investments in physical defense provide you. Changing your spread to a physically defensive one will help you have at least a temporary switch-in to things such as Dodrio, Stoutland, and other physical attackers, which all give you trouble. Losing EVs in special defense won't affect Stunfisk and your team at all, as it can still check Electric-types pretty well, while you still carry AV Bouffalant, Mr. Mime, and Murkrow to check/revengekill other squishy special attackers. So yeah change Stunfisk's spread to a physically defensive one. Also, still talking about Stunfisk, I like Megazard's suggestion of trying Sludge Wave / HP Bug to bait and heavily damage Exeggutor, and even if you got two Pursuit-users in Murkrow and Bouffalant, I don't see what Toxic would help you against, I guess Lickilicky as you said but Throh can deal with it and defensive teams in general pretty well anyway. But, while I like the idea of trying out Sludge Wave / HP Bug, I think Protect>Toxic on Stunfisk would work better in this case. Protect, while not helping you directly against Exeggutor, allows you to scout out its move when facing a Choice Specs variant, which greatly helps offensive teams such as yours. Other than that, the main pro Protect has over an attacking move would be being more durable, which is think is best here, given Stunfisk is your only switch-in to the aforementioned physical attackers, so the longer it lives the better.

The following change is not mandatory, I think the team will work decently even not following it, ok so let's proceed. I also saw that Floatzel is your only Water-type resistance, and also serves as an insurance against squishy Water-types with Hidden Power Electric, as I assume you don't want Bouffalant to risk tanking Scald in its face, so Life Orb just doesn't look optimal to me here and can leave you on your ass if it gets weakened too early, which is most likely going to happen because you also don't have any entry hazard control, but that's reasonable since Defog users don't really fit here. Floatzel being weakened too early might cause you to sacrifice Mr. Mime to pull off an Healing Wish at times, which isn't really optimal as I already said, so try running Choice Specs>Life Orb on Floatzel. Other than becoming more durable, Choice Specs also provides you a boost in power, which I think can be nice to deal as much damage as you can in general, but especially against Water-types with Hidden Power Electric, also is nice if you don't want to miss KOs on things such as Stoutland. I wouldn't have suggested this change if you were running an hyper offensive team, but you still carry a nice backbone in AV Bouffalant, Stunfisk, Throh, and good revengekillers in Mr. Mime and Murkrow so you are covered even if you get locked in an unfavourable move. You can still run Aqua Jet if you want an insurance against Golem I guess, but Throh has a decent matchup against it anyway, so I think running something like Surf / Switcheroo would be better.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Protect

Floatzel @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
- Surf / Switcheroo / Aqua Jet

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey cool team, I remember facing megazard using it.

Firstly, I completely agree with Raiza that physically defensive Stunfisk would help. It is your best switch in to normal-types, and without enough physical defence you can get 2HKOd by Dodrio. Stunfisk is also by far your most reliable answer to Sand Rush Stoutland, which can do about 70% to throh and OHKO everything else back, but with a physically defensive spread you have a chance not to be 2HKOd by LO even with Stealth Rock. As Raiza said, Toxic isn't very useful as a filler on Stunfisk. Protect is a nice choice as Stunfisk is your main defensive mon so being able to have more recovery would definitely help check normal- and flying-types like I mentioned before.

Another thing I think you should consider is Gogoat over Bouffalant. Gogoat's special defense allows it to check many of the mons you want Bouff to check (eggy actually has the same matchup vs both as psyshock 2HKO's), but unlike Bouffalant, it has a nice Water resist. This allows you to check Floatzel better, especcially Choice Band sets which can severely threaten your team. It also provides you with a better Huntail check, which at +2 can sweep you unless your murkrow is at high health and wins a 50/50 (and ofc some of your other mons are weakened). Gogoat also provides a Grass immunity, and although it struggles with Roselia, most of your others can take it on, and Exeggutor could beat Bouffalant with Psyshock (which is a move it will naturally go for vs your team). Gogoat also provides your team with late game sweeper, making use of your teams ability to wear things down. I know this may be a controversial change, but I don't think Bouffalant provides that much that the rest of your team can't, and a water resist would be appreciated. ofc you don't have to try this if you don't feel comfortable, as the team clearly works well, but if that is the case, then I think you should use Thunder Wave on murkrow to help check Huntail and other set up sweepers.

If you do that, you might want to change Aqua Jet to Ice Punch on Floatzel, as although you have plenty that can deal with Roselia, having a way to bait it in will help Gogoat and Stunfisk greatly, and Aqua Jet doesn't do much either as you have fast mons and other stronger priority.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Discharge
- Protect

Gogoat @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 228 HP / 48 Atk / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake / Rock Slide
- Milk Drink

Floatzel
Aqua Jet --> Ice Punch

ty for s/o nerd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)