Unpopular opinions

Thinking about it, my least favorite generation gave me a lot of my favorite Pokemon. I just didn't like Gen III at all, except for the Pokemon. It was filled with a LOT of my more favorite Pokemon like Salamence, Metagross, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Flygon, Anorith, etc. If it only had the kind of electric and steel typed Pokemon that Gen V had, it would have been my favorite in terms of Pokemon. Instead we got 4 new electric types that all suck. The only reason anyone wants to use Manectric is because Gamefreak decided to give such a dex-filler Pokemon a good Mega Evolution

Reactions: JES
I'm not sure if an opinion is really unpopular if it's conditional. But I thought I'd mention it as a related semi-tangent (...can you even have a semi tangent :o )

I am totally cool with the early game bugs/rodents/birds/pikachu etc that every gen brings.

BUT

They have to bring something cool to the table! I usually find something. Noctowl was an owl and we hadn't had an owl. Furret likewise, only I'm pretty sure Furret is not an owl. Swellow was a really tight design and Pelipper was an early water type. Plusle & Minun were pretty decent mascots for introducing Double Battles, and Staraptor was fuckin' bitchin. Bidoof is objectively hilarious and I love it. Also his evolution is water, which is neat. Watchog was really neat in Lenora's gym, Stoutland is a funky weather sweeper, the Venipede and Sewaddle lines are too cool to even count in this list, although for varying levels of cool. Emolga's actually relatively decent for a pikaclone. And they handled Bunnelby and Fletchling really well in XY what with they type change and the hidden abilities.

But, like, fuck Unfezant and fuck it hard. Lousy bird is shit all around and was used by every in game trainer and their mothers. And it's not like Pidove or Tranquil were all that interesting either!!

Back when we only had 151 Pokemon, it was pretty easy to catch all Pokemon and complete the Pokedex (one of the main objectives of the franchise)...
Couple of things:

(a) Yes there were fewer Pokemon, but you had to go to so much more effort to trade for the otherwise unobtainable Pokemon. You actually had to organise things in advance (borrow Josh's Link Cable, meet me after school on Friday, and I'll give you an Alakazam for your Kangaskhan, etc etc), whereas now you just hop online and do your business with total strangers, so I'd say that it's much easier than it used to be.

(b) The series dropped the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" tagline well over ten years ago. I think the series has generally moved from being a collector's paradise where you catch everything and let it rot in PC boxes, to a game where you develop your own personal teams and put time and effort into making those teams the best they can be.

Meh, I played Gen I and II back when they each came out and I enjoyed them, but even at that time I thought the games were overhyped as all hell. I actually remember having an argument with some friends back in primary school about Gen II's awful level curve and how Johto was nothing but an expansion pack for Kanto with the Johto Pokemon getting sidelined leading to most people's Gen II's teams featuring no Johto Pokemon other than the starters, Lugio/Ho-Oh and maybe Ampharos, but they wouldn't listen lol

I stopped playing the games along with virtually everyone else in my class when Gen III came out due to Pokemon being seen as too kiddy for high schoolers, but I came back in 2011 with the launch of Gen V and I fell in love with the series again. I went back to Gen IV and played Platinum, which I loved, and HeartGold, which was alright, but there was no nostalgia factor there for me with HeartGold, I didn't love it like I loved Platinum and Black, it was just an updated version of something that I had already played 10 years prior.

Even though I played Gen I and II first I wouldn't rank either of them as my favourite Gen, they would rank near the bottom if I'm honest. If I had to choose my favourite Gen it would have to be the one that reignited my love for Pokemon, Gen V. The heavily reduced reliance on HM's, infinite TM's, the ability to fight the Elite 4 in any order(bout damn time), the ability to use another repel without having to go back into your backpack (game changer which had me crying tears of joy), difficulty modes (though GF could have implemented them better), Gym leaders who were more involved and actually played a part in the story, a pair of games which actually HAD a story (lol), an amazing postgame in B2W2, some of the best music (dat Route 10) and finally, but most importantly, the best Pokegirls ever seen.

If there is one Gen that I could ever see myself getting nostalgic for it's Gen V, and I'm someone who many would expect to be a Genwunner lol. I would never have expected PokeAmerica to become my favourite region, but there it is.

Also, wasn't the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" tagline only ever used in the west? I'm pretty sure Japan had something different.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wasn't the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" tagline only ever used in the west? I'm pretty sure Japan had something different.
It was. Japan's slogan was "Pokemon Getto Da Ze!" which roughly translates to "I'll get Pokemon!". This slogan actually works better than the English slogan, at where the anime is concerned, since Ash didn't even try to "catch 'em all" but he did get Pokemon.

Also the English opener for XY did bring back the slogan "Gotta Catch 'Em All", mainly since it was a remix of the original series theme.

It was. Japan's slogan was "Pokemon Getto Da Ze!" which roughly translates to "I'll get Pokemon!". This slogan actually works better than the English slogan, at where the anime is concerned, since Ash didn't even try to "catch 'em all" but he did get Pokemon.

Also the English opener for XY did bring back the slogan "Gotta Catch 'Em All", mainly since it was a remix of the original series theme.
It's both sad and ironic it's pretty much impossible to really "Catch 'Em All" now because of event legendaries. It's possible to do the rest of the Pokedex, but without knowing someone with Mew, Celebi, Shaymin, Keldeo, Diancie, etc, you're never going to get that shiny charm. I stand firm in my belief the event legendaries should not be required for the dex.

It's both sad and ironic it's pretty much impossible to really "Catch 'Em All" now because of event legendaries. It's possible to do the rest of the Pokedex, but without knowing someone with Mew, Celebi, Shaymin, Keldeo, Diancie, etc, you're never going to get that shiny charm. I stand firm in my belief the event legendaries should not be required for the dex.
I thought they weren't? I never bothered past the oval charm so idk.

I thought the parody of "Gotta Catch Them All" into "Gotta Buy Them All" is really funny because you really have to buy them all if you have no other people to trade with. The less said about the GTS the better. (Granted, I used it to get some Pokemon but the fact that you CANNOT find pokemon not SEEN in the Dex annoys me to no end. Plus, Pokemon you see in the Battle Facility is not counted. What the heck, Troll Freak?)

Plus, I feel the anime needs to do something like the Pokemon Special manga where the characters actually achieve something instead of having us slog through fillers with repetitive storylines. Plus, I feel it could use a new face every generation as I've grown tired of Ash and GodChu (whose power levels vary more than Ichigo's Ban Kai) since Johto.

The less said about the GTS the better. (Granted, I used it to get some Pokemon but the fact that you CANNOT find pokemon not SEEN in the Dex annoys me to no end.
While you have to manually type the name in, you can look for Pokémon not listed as seen in your Pokédex in Generation VI. This would have made 16-year-old me much happier.

Wobbuffet is my favorite pokemon.. Said no one ever

But it is mine :DD
I bought a Wobbuffet + Crobat deck recently for the tcg and since then Wobb has shot up in estimation for me, since it's really really good. (And also cheap.) It's not too different from having a Pokémon become a favourite from use in battles I guess, although Wobb isn't on my favourite yet. YET. I've only had the deck a week!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I thought the parody of "Gotta Catch Them All" into "Gotta Buy Them All" is really funny because you really have to buy them all if you have no other people to trade with. The less said about the GTS TCG the better.
Fixed that. At least in the game, you're trading bits of data. Once you've bought the games, the Pokémon can be acquired for free. If you want a copy of every Pokémon in the TCG, on the other hand...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I mean if you really wanna catch 'em all, just get as much as you physically can and fill in the blank Pokedex spaces with a Powersave (which is not illegal because otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk in a Target/Game Stop and buy one).

New Opinion: There's nothing wrong with using cheat devices because fuck the event system and fuck soft-reseting.

I think that using cheating devices to get things that are determined by chance ( IVs ) or uncatchable ( version exclusives, event exclusive moves and event Pokemon ) is totally fine. It's time-consuming and there's not much a player can do if they get screwed by the RNG, time or game-company. Also, it's a way of getting "even" with the game since they're not being fair on resources available. I don't even plan on hacking a totally broken shit like Pure Power Regigigas. Say, I play Platinum and I just want to get a normal Regigigas which the game stupidly disallows me to unless I have three Regis, which are not accessible unless I have Regigigas. Or I want to access Rayquaza in Heart Gold but who is stupid enough to trade their Soul Silver Groudon to a stranger (thus losing access to Rayquaza themselves) ? And I cannot get a Groudon of my own in this game.

Last edited:
I don't even plan on hacking a totally broken shit like Pure Power Regigigas.
Funnily enough, this kind of stuff is the reason why I DO use various cheating devices. I don't do it on my real copies of the game. I have a Flash Cart with like Diamond on it that I mess around with just for the point of messing around.

I rarely actually play with the badly hacked Pokemon. But, I play with them in RL Hackmons battles. It's hilarious just to see that. My friends didn't know what to do with my Choice Scarf No Guard Deoxys-S with Sheer Cold!

I thought the parody of "Gotta Catch Them All" into "Gotta Buy Them All" is really funny because you really have to buy them all if you have no other people to trade with. The less said about the GTS the better. (Granted, I used it to get some Pokemon but the fact that you CANNOT find pokemon not SEEN in the Dex annoys me to no end. Plus, Pokemon you see in the Battle Facility is not counted. What the heck, Troll Freak?)
I mean if you really wanna catch 'em all, just get as much as you physically can and fill in the blank Pokedex spaces with a Powersave (which is not illegal because otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk in a Target/Game Stop and buy one).
o_o

Am I the only one horrified by this?

I mean, completing the Pokédex isn't that hard right? It's not like I have an unhealthy amount of Pokemon games laying around. Besides, between OR/AS and X/Y all Pokemon are available. If you don't want to buy both versions, most past Generation exclusives are also available in past Generation games (obviously), so it's just a matter of picking your version wisely. I doubt any of your just started playing with 6th Generation, so these past Generation games will be able to provide plenty of Pokemon you may be looking for. But even if you mess this up, it's hard not to have anything to offer to people who are also completing the dex (your starter, your fossil, your version exclusives, you have a lot to breed from even in just one game). It's very unfortunate that we don't have a casual trade/dex completion thread in the wi-fi subforum here on Smogon. Basically the only reason I'm also on Serebii is because of their trade forum. I've never actually used the GTS, but have done lots of trades just by replying to people who needed something I had and asking for something I still needed (or the other way around). It's easy. No need to go to lengths to hack and spoil your game.

o_o

Am I the only one horrified by this?

I mean, completing the Pokédex isn't that hard right? It's not like I have an unhealthy amount of Pokemon games laying around. Besides, between OR/AS and X/Y all Pokemon are available. If you don't want to buy both versions, most past Generation exclusives are also available in past Generation games (obviously), so it's just a matter of picking your version wisely. I doubt any of your just started playing with 6th Generation, so these past Generation games will be able to provide plenty of Pokemon you may be looking for. But even if you mess this up, it's hard not to have anything to offer to people who are also completing the dex (your starter, your fossil, your version exclusives, you have a lot to breed from even in just one game). It's very unfortunate that we don't have a casual trade/dex completion thread in the wi-fi subforum here on Smogon. Basically the only reason I'm also on Serebii is because of their trade forum. I've never actually used the GTS, but have done lots of trades just by replying to people who needed something I had and asking for something I still needed (or the other way around). It's easy. No need to go to lengths to hack and spoil your game.
Trust me, don't use the GTS unless you're the one submitting a Pokemon. Raticate's for Diancie everywhere...

Trust me, don't use the GTS unless you're the one submitting a Pokemon. Raticate's for Diancie everywhere...
I'll admit, as one of the guys that used to clone Pokemon back in Gen III, I REALLY took advantage of getting some of the other legendaries (like Xygarde for my Pokemon Y version) thanks to people wanting Ho-ohs or Groudons or something. I also got a number of shinies for the same price. Of course since this is the GTS, everyone should be prepared for shady Pokemon.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The post this was in response to was deleted, but I'm leaving this here.

I'm sorry that I'm too lame to not want to deal with RNG bullshit for getting various teams quickly for friendly matches. Some of us don't have the time, patience, or luck to deal with a shitty mechanic that honestly needs to be axed. We just want to have fun with friends outside of the sims and not have to deal with all of the strings attatched with breeding and soft-reseting.

Seriously, fuck you. I shouldn't have to get attacked for my relatively harmless opinion, especially since a legal hack isn't affecting your game.

EDIT: Somebody posted a comic somewhere in our forums that describes my feelings a lot better, but I can't find the thread.

Last edited:

dialganet

Banned deucer.
I'm sorry that I'm too lame to not want to deal with RNG bullshit for getting various teams quickly for friendly matches.

Seriously, fuck you. Some of us don't have the time, patience, or luck to deal with a shitty mechanic that honestly needs to be axed. We just want to have fun with friends outside of the sims and not have to deal with all of the strings attatched with breeding and soft-reseting.
I'm sorry if I ever offended you, I guarantee it was never my intention to do so. Sometimes I get too carried away and my opinions tend to appear over-aggressive. I admitted myself that I never had the time to learn how to RNG so I have to rely on clones.

I agree though, that the mechanics should be definitely fixed (1000000% for RNG). I also don't have the luxury to have real life friends playing pokemon (or steadily available internet ones, for that matter, given my unusual timezone and, moreover, my schedule), and trust me, I haven't had any time to spare since like forever, that's why I have almost completely abandoned competitive breeding, let alone battling. I'm also a poor competitive battler (too few battles played) so 99% of competitive trainers are better than me. Nowadays I rarely improve my spitbacks stock ivs when I have the time and that's it now, basically. But when I had the time, I enjoyed hard-working to get things. That's all I should have said.

Sorry to everyone, rereading my post I now understand that the "fake for fake" sentence was too much and what followed was really offensive and that I got too carried away, heated and was not what I meant. Gonna delete that post immediately and this one once my apologies are read. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)