[Online Competition] Festive Feud

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I was using that Swirlix start I love in triples, and after I beat someone with it, they said that apparently, its illegal because the rules state that all Pokemon will become level 50.

The rules actually state that. Does gamefreak ban level 1 mons in tournaments, or is this just poor wording on their front, and do they actually mean "Pokemon above level 50 will be leveled down?"

So I was using that Swirlix start I love in triples, and after I beat someone with it, they said that apparently, its illegal because the rules state that all Pokemon will become level 50.

The rules actually state that. Does gamefreak ban level 1 mons in tournaments, or is this just poor wording on their front, and do they actually mean "Pokemon above level 50 will be leveled down?"
I'd guess it's for above level 50 unless they just changed things recently. I know in Pikachu Cup I faced pokemon under level 50, I tried finding the regulations page for Pikachu Cup but couldnt find it. But I looked at Spooky Cup and Primal Battle rules to see if i could find the wording they used. Spooky said all pokemon are set to level 50. And Primal Battle says all pokemon above level 50 are scaled down. So unless they've changed how the levels go in tours just very recently, I think under level 50 pokemon will remain the same and it's probably just bad wording.

Surprisingly, the competitions general description/announcement page has a more detailed stating of the rule than the regulations and unfortunately it says "All Pokémon above and below Lv. 50 will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the match". I think it might be so that people who haven't completed the plot can still have level 50 pokemon.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, I've been laddering all day while I've been sick.

The thing I'm most shocked by is that Regigigas has been legit good so far. I mean I was sorta partly tounge in the cheek when talking about Regigigas... but holy crap, that thing basically refuses to die! It's pull some crazy stunts like surviving 3 Mega Camerupt Earth Powers. I really underestimated its bulk, I guess 110 all around really puts in some work when you invest it! Hell, Regigigas has actually gotten past Slow Start a few times, and even without attack investment, it hits pretty hard.

Overall, on Day 1, Regigigas has done well enough that I'm seriously considering putting myself through hell and soft reseting for a Careful Regigigas...

EDIT: I managed to actually top the PS ladder with Regigigas, and one nasty thing its been doing lately is getting Gardevoirs to Trace Slow Start, which can really screw up their turn 1 plans!

Last edited:
Theorymon seriously?! You topped the ladder? That's pretty interesting. I do rather like Regigigas aesthetically, btw. Mmm.

Anyhoo, this is seriously the tournament I've been planning to go on a date with since they very beginning!!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I've tried out regigigas for a bit and I agree that he's pretty good! Easily the bulkiest wide guarder and only keels over to things like gallade's close combat. I haven't figured out a good spread for mine yet.

For moves I've got:
- Wide Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Brick Break

Most of the time he will be spamming wide guard or thunder wave, occasionally using toxic to get some chip damage going on bulky things. Brick break is for screens spam.

He usually doesn't stick around long enough for slow start to go away, and when he does, again he's usually busy using other moves to have an opportunity to attack.

Last edited:
Why'd it have to be a triple battle...? I'm still learning singles and doubles, and I have absolutely ZERO experience in triples. Time to go find some guides...I'm not expecting to do well in this format (especially since I tend to use 'mons which aren't the typically used powerhouses, with odd movesets).

Theorymon

Why'd it have to be a triple battle...? I'm still learning singles and doubles, and I have absolutely ZERO experience in triples. Time to go find some guides...I'm not expecting to do well in this format (especially since I tend to use 'mons which aren't the typically used powerhouses, with odd movesets).
We're still working on our Triples analyses, but we've sorta gotten sidetracked because of college reated matters. Thankfully though, you can transfer a lot of skills you've learned in doubles to triples. Just remember a couple of important concepts!

1. Positioning is huge in Triples! In most cases, your Pokemon can only hit opponents that are adjacent to it. I.E.: If you have a Pokemon in one of the corners, it can't hit Pokemon that are in the opposite corner. There is an exception to this rule: If your Pokemon has Flying-type moves or Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, or Water Pulse, you can hit Pokemon no matter where they are located!

2. You can change the position of your Pokemon with "Shifting". Pokemon in the corner can Shift instead of moving, where they switch places with the Pokemon in the middle position. How soon your two Pokemon switch positions depends on the Shifter's Speed. Interestingly enough, the shifter can conserve their Fake Out for next turn this way as well if they haven't moved yet.

3. As you can imagine, spread moves are huge in triples, and such Pokemon are usually sent in the middle to hit all 3 Pokemon. Because of this, you often see Pokemon such as Hitmontop used in triples for Wide Guarding, to block said spread moves. Note that these won't block Dark Void. In fact, a major hallmark of this particular competition is that most of the usual Wide Guarders (such as Hitmontop, Aegislash, and Hariyama) are actually banned in festive feud, which is why we've been talking about oddballs such as Regigigas and Throh: Wide Guard is that valuable!

4. Unlike other battle spot formats, you use all 6 Pokemon! This also means that you should only be carrying one mega, and oddly enough, makes triples feel more like a smogon format than usual in some ways.

5. I find that support Pokemon tend to be a lot more justifiable in triples than other metagames, since you got all 6 Pokemon and have two other Pokemon that can deal some serious damage.

Of course, this isn't everything, but I hope these pointers can help you a bit mdchan !

I think I've tried about ten teams for this now, and haven't been wholly satisfied with any of them.

An adaptation of Choko's Scarf-Smeargle/Camerupt team allowed me to dominate the ladder in the first two days, but as more Camerupt teams showed up, and rain (especially with surf or water spout to get around Cradily's Storm Drain) came out, its effectiveness waned. I've seen some Camerupt teams do well (including one in the top three of the ladder right now) with multiple Trick Room setters, but that's so susceptible to Smeargle leads I'm not sure.

Basically I feel like I'm always conscious of a poor match up with either: rain, sun or sunny day + Camerupt, or a good Smeargle lead. Really looking for the right, flexible combination here. Also trying to keep very conscious of damage output. I've tried a few teams that felt they were lacking it with even two full support 'mons, since we've lost some of the really good offensive support options normal Triples has (Hitmontop, where are you?).

So, hoping to settle into one archetype and iron it out. Of course, there's also the awareness that whatever Japanese players are doing to prepare will likely be a few steps ahead of the Showdown ladder, so being really solid there is important. They're probably testing on-cart.

Does anyone have a good Octillery spread?

Last edited:
I think I've tried about ten teams for this now, and haven't been wholly satisfied with any of them.

An adaptation of Choko's Scarf-Smeargle/Camerupt team allowed me to dominate the ladder in the first two days, but as more Camerupt teams showed up, and rain (especially with surf or water spout to get around Cradily's Storm Drain) came out, its effectiveness waned. I've seen some Camerupt teams do well (including one in the top three of the ladder right now) with multiple Trick Room setters, but that's so susceptible to Smeargle leads I'm not sure.

Basically I feel like I'm always conscious of a poor match up with either: rain, sun or sunny day + Camerupt, or a good Smeargle lead. Really looking for the right, flexible combination here. Also trying to keep very conscious of damage output. I've tried a few teams that felt they were lacking it with even two full support 'mons, since we've lost some of the really good offensive support options normal Triples has (Hitmontop, where are you?).

So, hoping to settle into one archetype and iron it out. Of course, there's also the awareness that whatever Japanese players are doing to prepare will likely be a few steps ahead of the Showdown ladder, so being really solid there is important. They're probably testing on-cart.

Does anyone have a good Octillery spread?
At first glace, I think he has viability as a Trick Room Mixed Attacker with only 45 Base Speed. Octillery also has access to the awesome combo of Focus Energy + King's Rock + Sniper. As for the Water type move use Surf for multiple foes, Scald to fish for a burn, or Water Spout for hitting multiple foes, but should be used with a way to redirect attacks to keep the base power at 150

Nature: Quiet
Ability: Sniper
Item: King's Rock / Razor Claw
Moves:
- Focus Energy
- Surf / Scald / Hydro Pump / Water Spout
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam

I'm so sick of seeing Tyranitar, Gardevoir, and Talonflame on every single bloody team.
Also seeing a lot of Scrafty, some Smeargle...it's literally the same teams over and over again. Scoliopede is becoming a bit common, too...I'm surprised to see them what with Gardevoir running the meta.
Every time I get matched up with someone, I have to double-check the name to make sure it's not the same person I just battled, cause the teams are almost always the same.

Kudos to anyone who actually goes out on a limb and doesn't just play a cookie cutter team. Rarely do I see any creativity, which makes the meta even less exciting/interesting.

Not only do they make it a triple battle format, but there aren't many walls which can stop the mons on every single darn team because of the limitations. That makes it even worse. I've tried to come up with counters, but there just aren't many viable walls and counters.

I'm so sick of seeing Tyranitar, Gardevoir, and Talonflame on every single bloody team.
Also seeing a lot of Scrafty, some Smeargle...it's literally the same teams over and over again. Scoliopede is becoming a bit common, too...I'm surprised to see them what with Gardevoir running the meta.
Every time I get matched up with someone, I have to double-check the name to make sure it's not the same person I just battled, cause the teams are almost always the same.

Kudos to anyone who actually goes out on a limb and doesn't just play a cookie cutter team. Rarely do I see any creativity, which makes the meta even less exciting/interesting.

Not only do they make it a triple battle format, but there aren't many walls which can stop the mons on every single darn team because of the limitations. That makes it even worse. I've tried to come up with counters, but there just aren't many viable walls and counters.
I don't know why you're surprised people are using good Pokemon, or that strong Pokemon are starting to come forth in a small format, which is what always happens.

Those Pokemon are good because spread damage is nearly essential here, Talonflame helps with a number of threats regardless of speed control, and Scrafty and Smeargle are both useful and variable supports, with, among other options: Fake Out, Snatch, Quick Guard and Dark Void between them (and Intimidate, rare in this meta, on Scrafty).

For what it's worth, I'm still seeing a lot of varied teams; though archetypes and some common team constructions in terms of what roles need filling are cropping up.

I'm also surprised you didn't mention Camerupt, Charizard or rain teams, because those are still usable archetypes as well.

If anything, it's quite a non-centralized format right now, with lots of viable team archetypes, and that's what I was getting at in my previous post, and you toward the bottom of yours. The trick is going to be finding something you're comfortable with that has a reasonable number of answers.

Scoliopede is becoming a bit common, too...I'm surprised to see them what with Gardevoir running the meta.
Cool, I can reuse one of my mons from the Spooky Cup. Can't Scolipede outspeed Gardevoir, and possibly OHKO it with Poison Jab? I think that justifies its use. It also has access to Rock Slide to deal with Talonflame.

Seeing a lot of the "Beat Up" strategy (usually with Gallade) lately. Course, there's still usually one or more of the other powerhouses (Talonflame, Tyranitar, Gardevoir) on the team as well.

Cool, I can reuse one of my mons from the Spooky Cup. Can't Scolipede outspeed Gardevoir, and possibly OHKO it with Poison Jab? I think that justifies its use. It also has access to Rock Slide to deal with Talonflame.
That could explain it. I've always wanted to try out Scolipede...if it's a counter (am I using the right term?), it could be fun to try.

Just be glad it's not as centralized as the Spooky Cup was. Literally every team had a Hydreigon and a Volcarona lol.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Seeing a lot of the "Beat Up" strategy (usually with Gallade) lately. Course, there's still usually one or more of the other powerhouses (Talonflame, Tyranitar, Gardevoir) on the team as well.

That could explain it. I've always wanted to try out Scolipede...if it's a counter (am I using the right term?), it could be fun to try.
Counters are usually defined as being able to switch in and win which Scolipede obviously can't do. It would be more of a check since it can ko Gardevoir.

I want the delibird, but I don't see myself doing well in this format, so I'm just gonna make a team of cool pokemon rather than good ones.

I totally agree with you. I never really liked Triples anyway but I really want the Delibird! I'm just going to rack up a team I like and finish this three battles.
But Theorymon's Regigigas looks pretty cool, though. Maybe I'll put one in my team.

hey, I've been thinking about using a prankster meowstic on my team, but before I sart breeding, I've been wondering about something. Whereas female mewostic is white, only the male meowstic gets prankster. Thing is, male meowstic is quite clearly blue in color. Does anyone know if that means male meowstic will be banned from this tournament?

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
hey, I've been thinking about using a prankster meowstic on my team, but before I sart breeding, I've been wondering about something. Whereas female mewostic is white, only the male meowstic gets prankster. Thing is, male meowstic is quite clearly blue in color. Does anyone know if that means male meowstic will be banned from this tournament?
I saw a user using it so it isn't banned. Kinda like the Rotom formes

They're both in the color category of "white" according to the Pokedex. Same kind of thing with Jellicent.

The male Meowstic also has white on it...but like Mishimono said, it's like the Rotom forms; you'd think most of them would be banned with the exception of Heat and Mow, but they're all allowed. Kind of weird that way.

Pretty sure each Pokemon can only have one color listed in the Pokedex, so every form of Meowstic must be considered white and every Rotom form must be orange red. (And it makes sense since shinies like Latias and Porygon clearly aren't red.) And yeah, Prankster dual screens is really good and will make your Pokemon extremely bulky for the entire match.

I've been using this Throh and it's been working well as a Wide Guard Pokemon.

Throh @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Brick Break gets rid of my opponent's screens and will OHKO Tyranitar and 2HKO max HP Heatran and Regigigas if they don't have a Sitrus Berry. If Guts is activated, it can possibly OHKO max HP Heatran and will 2HKO max HP/Def Impish Regigigas. Protect is mandatory to avoid Talonflame's Brave Bird and Mega Gardevoir's Psychic. Knock Off is just to get rid of items but Rock Slide could be used to kill Talonflame and Charizard-Y. Brave with 0 Spe makes it as slow as possible to help against Trick Room teams. Sitrus Berry could be used over Leftovers, but I already have that on Rotom-W.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)