ORAS PU Rotom-F: Not a Snowman, but Equally Frosty

Since PU is now an official tier, I have decided to make most of my posts relating to or for the PU tier. So to start things off, I would like share this Sub-Split Rotom Frost team!

Open Sesame! (Rotom-Frost) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
(was Pain Split)
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

This is the foundation for the team. I honestly love all of the Rotom forms, and each do very well in their respective tier. I have always used Scarf Rotom-Frost, but I wanted to do something else with the Fridge. So I thought Sub-Split would be the way to go. However, through experimentation and some help, Will-o-Wisp is slightly better. Timid lets me Outspeed every Max speed Speed-boosting nature with 85 base speed or less, and it also outspeeds Adamant Sawsbuck. 252 Sp Atk and 252 Speed with a Life orb make Frost hit super hard. 105 Sp Atk is nothing to sneeze at, especially when it is carrying an amazing STAB combination, in Ice and Electric. Probably arguably the best move coverage combo for 2 slots. Thunderbolt is my Electric STAB, and hits all water types (except for the ground ones *glares at Whiscash*), while Blizzard hits almost every ground type in PU for super-effective damage. Substitute lets me evade status, and Will-o-Wisp will cripple a Pokemon on the switch, unless you are guts.

Rosa Parks (Roselia) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

After someone suggested Roselia over Vibrava because my team isn't very hazard weak, I was a bit skeptical. However, this change has benefited me substantially. Natural Cure acts as a status absorber, and Eviolite boosts my defenses. EV's are pretty strait-forward. Max HP for reasons, 180 Sp Def allows to avoid 2HKO from LO Zebstrika's Overheat. Rest is dumped into Def to help me take hits better. Spikes makes Rotom-F that more threatening, because it does cause a lot of switching. Synthesis lets me gain back HP. Sludge Bomb hits Clefairy and Tangela for nice damage with a good chance of poison. Giga Drain tops it off because I get health back, and it is strong.

1980something (Metang) @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Metang is the less used, less cool, and less OP version of Metagross. However, it is a great Stealth Rocker in the tier that has excellent synergy with my team. 252 HP lets it tank hits. Its speed stat won't be getting it anywhere quickly. Max attack and an Adamant nature let me deal as much damage as possible. Clear Body is chosen here, so Intimidate users can't drop my attack. Besides, what is Light Metal gonna do for me anyways? Eviolite increases Metang's bulk to good levels, while still getting every bit of juice out of its Attack stat. Earthquake is a great move in general, while Meteor Mash is a somewhat reliable STAB move that may give me an Attack Boost. Stealth Rock is great utility, and Toxic is for the walls that it can't really get past.

YOLO (Simipour) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
- Knock Off/Superpower

Simipour with a Choice Scarf isn't only hippie viable, but also allows it to go pretty fast. EVs are straight forward, with a Naive nature to boost Superpower's... uh.. power? lol Torrent allows for Hydro Pump to hit extremely hard if I somehow get to 33% or lower without being KO'd by Toxic, crit, etc. Ice Beam does great damage to Roselia, with the defensive variant being a Guaranteed 2HKO after Rocks. HP Electric hits opposing water types and heavy things for good damage. Superpower hits Pawniard and Probopass and the other steel types for mad damage, while Knock Off takes off the eviolite on Roselia.

Europa (Clefairy) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Stored Power

Clefairy is my win condition. Because of being a pure fairy type, its defensive nature is great, and with magic guard, it can only be worn down through attacking. 252 HP is self explanatory, and 252 Def with a Bold nature boosts the Defense stat I won't be boosting. Eviolite lets my Defenses be raised to make it a great tank. Calm Mind boosts Clefairy's Sp Def to great levels, and increases the Sp Atk stat greatly. Soft-Boiled grants amazing recovery. Moonblast is my STAB, and Stored Power becomes a 100 BP move with only 2 Calm Minds up, and it continues boosting every time I raise a stat. It also hits Poison types and Fire types that Moonblast can't do much to.

Little Kenny (Monferno) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

What is up Kaioken here for another All For Free! (I am sorry but I had to do it). Monferno is a great fighting type in PU, one of only 2. So it does need to see a bit of use. Monferno has a great STAB combination that is only resisted by Grumpig (if it has Thick Fat, which almost all of them do). An Adamant nature increases the Attack stat, coupled with the EVs and SD to do mad damage. Iron fist increases Mach Punch's power, and the EVs are self explanatory. Eviolite boosts- you get the gist by now. CC does damage to Rock, Water, etc types that Fire moves can't do much to, and Flare Blitz does damage to types that Fighting moves can't do much to. Swords Dance boosts the attack stat, and Mach Punch weakens off Opponents.

So, what do you think? Is there anything I did not account for? Please let me know in the comment section. But please only post suggestions, and not crap about the team. If you do, those comments will be deleted. Just give me respect, and I will give respect to you.

Ready To Use Us? Here is the fridge filled with goodies!
Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Roselia @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
- Knock Off

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Stored Power

Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
Welcome to PU! One huge weakness to your team is Modest Life Orb Gorebyss which sets up on just about anything on the team and proceeds to sweep you, assuming Hydro Pump doesn't miss. To remedy this I'd suggest changing Rotom-F to a scarf set.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey TheMudkipNation, this is a pretty solid team without many major outward weaknesses aside from Pokemon that have set up. First of all, there's never really a good reason to run Stored Power on Clefairy, it just doesn't really beat anything and I'd recommend you change it for Encore. I'd normally recommend Thunder Wave as it's the best final slot, but you could use the extra insurance versus opposing bulky setup sweepers like Duosion, and general disruption. Like Rawmelon said, your only major weaknesses that really can't be played around are setup sweepers, Gorebyss is an issue but even Monferno and Leafeon are problems. To fix this, I think your best option is to first replace Vibrava with Swanna, which gives you a Defogger that you need seeing as your team is fairly Roselia weak, a fire check, and also a strong wallbreaker that you can use when gives a free switch. After that, Choice Scarf Rotom can fit over your own variant like Rawmelon suggested. Finally, I'd consider changing Floatzel to a Life Orb variant with Aqua Jet over Baton Pass, just as a little exta insurance versus opposing setup sweepers. You could also use the ability to change moves more than the extra power on this team imo.

As a side note, if you want to keep the LO rotom that the team was built around, I really wouldn't recommend a LO Sub-Split variant. Split just really doesn't help with too much, so if you simply ran Lefties or Ebelt you could drop that for wisp or even volt switch, as sub volt is pretty threatening. Then you could sort of fiddle around with getting in a scarfer while still keeping a defogger ideally, although you might need a couple of replacements. Anyway, good luck with the team!

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
[/URL]

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hey TheMudkipNation, pretty decent team you got here.
Though, looking at your team, it look's pretty slow paced apart from Floatzel, which still isn't outspeeding most set up sweepers you struggle with, to cite one Shell Smash Gorebyss, as RawMelon said. And this isn't optimal in a metagame where fast threats and set up users are everywhere, especially since Vibrava and Clefairy are kind of passive and let most offensive Pokemon succeed in setting up. Because you still have a wallbreaker in Rotom-F / Floatzel, while Clefairy and Throh still help hugely against defensive teams, I suggest you to either make Rotom-F Choice Scarf as RawMelon said, or replace Floatzel for Choice Scarf Simipour. Honestly, seeing as you wanted to build around SubSplit Rotom-F, I suppose you don't want to change its set right? Therefore I think Choice Scarf Simipour is the best way to act here, as it doesn't change a lot the team structure and archetype at all. In fact, losing a wallbreaker isn't going to change much to you for the reasons stated before in this post, while Choice Scarf Simipour still hits pretty hard with STAB Hydro Pump and can decently work as a cleaner, being a good Floatzel replacement, while providing you a more efficient revengekill for a plethora of offensive threats, mostly Water-types such as Gorebyss, Rock Polish Relicanth, Agility Kingler, and many others. If you want to be even more safe when facing offensive threats in general, you can try running Thunder Wave>Stored Power on Clefairy. I don't think Stored Power is necessary on Clefairy, as Moonblast will serve well enough as an attacking tool alone. Thunder Wave will allow you to be less passive by not necessarily dealing more damage, but by paralyzing opposing Pokemon, making them easier to revengekill and not threaten you at all, unless something such as SubDance Bouffalant.

Lastly, your team still is pretty slow, and wallbreakers such as Stoutland, Exeggutor but also bulky set up sweepers Simipour can't take down such as Bouffalant still give you trouble. To have an insurance against them, I suggest you replacing Throh with Monferno. I read you are using Throh mostly to absorb Knock Off and deal with things such as Pawniard, and other roles Throh usually performs in are already covered, so Monferno just looks like a straight up upgrade here. First and more importantly, Monferno can take down most Normal-types such as Stoutland and Bouffalant, and some wallbreakers such as Exeggutor, even though it can't switch in on them anyway, but there are very few Pokemon that can switch in into these threats and honestly wouldn't fit your team at all, while still being an efficient Knock Off absorber and counter to Pawniard, so Monferno looks the most fitting Pokemon here even though it isn't as reliable as the others. Monferno also provides you with a priority, which further helps regarding the fact that the team is kind of slow. Monferno is really flexible here, you could run Swords Dance to pose more of a threat to the opposing team, or Slack Off to be more durable and keep checking Pawniard throughout the game, or All-Out Attacker to create more VoltTurn chains with Rotom-F and Vibrava. All of these options are usable in this case and would be efficient more than Throh.

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Superpower

AoA Monferno
Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- U-Turn

SD / Slack Off Monferno
Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance / Slack Off

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi TheMudkipNation, nice team, and I'm glad you enjoy the tier!

The team's biggest weakness I can immediately see is water-types, as opposing Floatzel and Simipour can pretty much freely spam hydro pump, and like others have said, Gorebyss can sweep you if it gets to +2. To fix this, I think you should replace Vibrava with Roselia. Although you have a rotom-f, your team is actually fairly stealth rock resistant as you have several resistances and an immunity, along with several ways to pressure Roselia, so I don't think a Defog user is necessary. Roselia provides you with a reliable switch into Water-types, along with HP Ice Electric-types which could KO Vibrava with a bit of chip damage. Spikes also helps Rotom-f threaten bulkier mons due to its ability to constantly force other mons out.

Next, I recommend you use Pursuit on Metang over Toxic. Toxic doesn't do too much for you as most Steel resistances are hit hard by EQ, however Psychic-types are very threatening to your team as they can threaten Throh and bulkier ones like Grumpig can even check Floatzel and Rotom-f. Pursuit can also put opposing Roselia in range of Floatzel's Ice Beam. Next, like others have said, Will-o-Wisp and Leftovers might be more helpful on Rotom-F than Life Orb + Pain Split. Will-o-Wisp can screw with many usual switch ins, such as Grumpig and Lickilicky, by putting them on a timer, and the attack drop might possibly mean they cannot break your Substitute. Scarf is also an option as others have said, but Roselia can cover several of the mons which it helps with. e: I forgot to mention but I agree that Thunder Wave would be a great move for Clefairy to help check Pokemon like Dodrio and Monferno.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Toxic --> Pursuit

Life Orb --> Leftovers
Pain Split --> Will-o-Wisp

Hope I helped!

Last edited:
Hi TheMudkipNation, nice team, and I'm glad you enjoy the tier!

The team's biggest weakness I can immediately see is water-types, as opposing Floatzel and Simipour can pretty much freely spam hydro pump, and like others have said, Gorebyss can sweep you if it gets to +2. To fix this, I think you should replace Vibrava with Roselia. Although you have a rotom-f, your team is actually fairly stealth rock resistant as you have several resistances and an immunity, along with several ways to pressure Roselia, so I don't think a Defog user is necessary. Roselia provides you with a reliable switch into Water-types, along with HP Ice Electric-types which could KO Vibrava with a bit of chip damage. Spikes also helps Rotom-f threaten bulkier mons due to its ability to constantly force other mons out.

Next, I recommend you use Pursuit on Metang over Toxic. Toxic doesn't do too much for you as most Steel resistances are hit hard by EQ, however Psychic-types are very threatening to your team as they can threaten Throh and bulkier ones like Grumpig can even check Floatzel and Rotom-f. Pursuit can also put opposing Roselia in range of Floatzel's Ice Beam. Next, like others have said, Will-o-Wisp and Leftovers might be more helpful on Rotom-F than Life Orb + Pain Split. Will-o-Wisp can screw with many usual switch ins, such as Grumpig and Lickilicky, by putting them on a timer, and the attack drop might possibly mean they cannot break your Substitute. Scarf is also an option as others have said, but Roselia can cover several of the mons which it helps with. e: I forgot to mention but I agree that Thunder Wave would be a great move for Clefairy to help check Pokemon like Dodrio and Monferno.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Toxic --> Pursuit

Life Orb --> Leftovers
Pain Split --> Will-o-Wisp

Hope I helped!
Lefties and Sub Wisp actually sounds a lot better to be honest. I put Toxic there to Cripple walls, like Lickilicky, but I'll give pursuit a try, as well as Roselia.

Hey TheMudkipNation, pretty decent team you got here.
Though, looking at your team, it look's pretty slow paced apart from Floatzel, which still isn't outspeeding most set up sweepers you struggle with, to cite one Shell Smash Gorebyss, as RawMelon said. And this isn't optimal in a metagame where fast threats and set up users are everywhere, especially since Vibrava and Clefairy are kind of passive and let most offensive Pokemon succeed in setting up. Because you still have a wallbreaker in Rotom-F / Floatzel, while Clefairy and Throh still help hugely against defensive teams, I suggest you to either make Rotom-F Choice Scarf as RawMelon said, or replace Floatzel for Choice Scarf Simipour. Honestly, seeing as you wanted to build around SubSplit Rotom-F, I suppose you don't want to change its set right? Therefore I think Choice Scarf Simipour is the best way to act here, as it doesn't change a lot the team structure and archetype at all. In fact, losing a wallbreaker isn't going to change much to you for the reasons stated before in this post, while Choice Scarf Simipour still hits pretty hard with STAB Hydro Pump and can decently work as a cleaner, being a good Floatzel replacement, while providing you a more efficient revengekill for a plethora of offensive threats, mostly Water-types such as Gorebyss, Rock Polish Relicanth, Agility Kingler, and many others. If you want to be even more safe when facing offensive threats in general, you can try running Thunder Wave>Stored Power on Clefairy. I don't think Stored Power is necessary on Clefairy, as Moonblast will serve well enough as an attacking tool alone. Thunder Wave will allow you to be less passive by not necessarily dealing more damage, but by paralyzing opposing Pokemon, making them easier to revengekill and not threaten you at all, unless something such as SubDance Bouffalant.

Lastly, your team still is pretty slow, and wallbreakers such as Stoutland, Exeggutor but also bulky set up sweepers Simipour can't take down such as Bouffalant still give you trouble. To have an insurance against them, I suggest you replacing Throh with Monferno. I read you are using Throh mostly to absorb Knock Off and deal with things such as Pawniard, and other roles Throh usually performs in are already covered, so Monferno just looks like a straight up upgrade here. First and more importantly, Monferno can take down most Normal-types such as Stoutland and Bouffalant, and some wallbreakers such as Exeggutor, even though it can't switch in on them anyway, but there are very few Pokemon that can switch in into these threats and honestly wouldn't fit your team at all, while still being an efficient Knock Off absorber and counter to Pawniard, so Monferno looks the most fitting Pokemon here even though it isn't as reliable as the others. Monferno also provides you with a priority, which further helps regarding the fact that the team is kind of slow. Monferno is really flexible here, you could run Swords Dance to pose more of a threat to the opposing team, or Slack Off to be more durable and keep checking Pawniard throughout the game, or All-Out Attacker to create more VoltTurn chains with Rotom-F and Vibrava. All of these options are usable in this case and would be efficient more than Throh.

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Superpower

AoA Monferno
Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- U-Turn

SD / Slack Off Monferno
Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance / Slack Off
Main reason Stored power is on Clefairy is to hit fire types like Flareon that Moonblast would not really touch. I'll see about CS Simipour as well as Monferno, and I'll let you know!

Welcome to PU! One huge weakness to your team is Modest Life Orb Gorebyss which sets up on just about anything on the team and proceeds to sweep you, assuming Hydro Pump doesn't miss. To remedy this I'd suggest changing Rotom-F to a scarf set.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick
Changed the team significantly, and I plan to share it with you all, but no offense, Rotom is staying the same bar pain split. changed it to will-o :]

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
This team looks pretty nice now! However, I'd recommend you to change the Scarf Simipour set to Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Electric, Knock Off/Surf. Grass Knot is worse than HP Electric since it doesn't hit Pelipper and Swanna, who are huge threats to your team. Superpower doesn't hit anything outside of Regice harder than Hydro Pump (252 SpA Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 201-237 (87 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO) and Regice isn't a threat anyway cause you have Metang and Monferno. Knock Off could be used to cripple Roselia, SpD Clefairy, etc while Surf is for accuracy.

This team looks pretty nice now! However, I'd recommend you to change the Scarf Simipour set to Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Electric, Knock Off/Surf. Grass Knot is worse than HP Electric since it doesn't hit Pelipper and Swanna, who are huge threats to your team. Superpower doesn't hit anything outside of Regice harder than Hydro Pump (252 SpA Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 201-237 (87 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO) and Regice isn't a threat anyway cause you have Metang and Monferno. Knock Off could be used to cripple Roselia, SpD Clefairy, etc while Surf is for accuracy.
That is very true. Didn't think of that!

Hi there Mudkipnation, I really like your team.

Just one thing I would change about it is try running Dusclops over Clefairy as dusclops is alot bulkier with eviolite, also has access to calm mind aswell and can be used as a spinblocker.

Here is the set:
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Rest

But anyway, I really like your team and I hope that my suggestion helps :)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Just one thing I would change about it is try running Dusclops over Clefairy as dusclops is alot bulkier with eviolite, also has access to calm mind aswell and can be used as a spinblocker.

Here is the set:
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Rest

Yeah sorry, don't particularly want to start an argument in somebody else's rmt but this is a terrible suggestion, it makes him weaker to fighters and essentially just replaces a good Pokemon with Twave and magic guard and reliable recovery for a bad one with none of those and just a bit of extra bulk. If you have any responses just VM me, I'd rather not start a comment chain in mudkipnation's thread

Here is the set:
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Rest

IMO although dusclops has INSANE defenses with Eviolite, it makes my team even more weak to Knock Off than it already is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)